• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese girl band's Nazi-esque outfits draw fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theyre just pilots guys. Evil pilots.

This is some multilayered shit right here lol

Also

d2216534f31892335e47a71804eb1680.jpg

Gastone

I'm a sucker for Nazi uniforms, so i'm not bothered by this (even though they aren't really Nazi uniforms). It's probably the most iconic war uniform there is. From a pure visual standpoint, i like this.

Is it smart to wear for fun, halloween etc? Not by a long shot, but Japan gonna Japan and doesn't give a fuck.

Kalentan

That Japan did nothing wrong. Hell you have manga here that populize Nazi outfits. They may have issued an apology but I bet they still dont understand why it was offensive.

Had some tell me it was made for Japanese viewership not the world.

I remember the anime GATE and how it seems to be very revisionist while painting the rest of the world as evil. There was even a panel in the manga (that I'm not sure if it made it into the anime), where they basically imply that Japan has never subjugated anyone before. Honestly the undertones made me drop the series.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Other than them looking like Nazi uniforms.
Due to it being black with a eagle on the hat?

Disregarding the sleeve stripes it doesn't look all that much like a German officer outfit (looks like a dark version of the pilot uniform posted previously), and even if it did, there's no swastikas and shit on it so who cares?

They look badass.

Not surprised by this in the least. Nazi symbolism and fashion seems to be an icon of punk/metal culture over there.

And based on my own discussions with people when I visited Osaka, this is a legit example of "they don't know any better." The education system and the government in general's covering of WWII is absolute shit.

So Asia, specifically Japan, was absent during World War 2?

Even that aside, and your school history class failing you, but failing to educate yourself when we have information constantly bombarding us, where we are as connected as we've ever been through movies, games, news....ect, is absolutely wrong.

There is no way to excuse a collective culture not knowing what and who the Nazi's were.

Japan's lack of tact for things that hadn't negatively affected them is pretty infamous. It's very much a cultural thing and why shit like this is "okay" while saying anything about or depicting the atom bombs is deemed extremely offensive.

It seems to be getting better though, but I imagine Abe needs to go before faster progress can be made.

Uhyve

With Abe in power, I'm not especially surprised by Japanese people screwing up with this stuff, at best the guy is a... nationalist. This legit surprised me though:
Pretty sure Korea is well aware of the Japanese occupation, how does this happen? I mean, even if there isn't European imagery associated with the occupation, WW2 essentially caused the North/South divide, surely nobody would use that imagery....

Edit: Wasn't Abe's Dad or Granddad in charge of an army run brothel or something? I swear that was a thing. Then the guy spends a crap ton of money to revise history for some reason.

Haunted

You cannot look at Nazi uniforms from a purely fashion/design standpoint and decide whether they're appropriate just from that - there's too much cultural baggage associated with them (especially this iconic Waffen-SS uniform) to simply ignore every other aspect.

I would think this to be obvious.

But Japan generally has done a piss-poor job of honestly processing their own part in WWII, refusing to engage with their own guilt, refusing to educate future generations properly. With an ongoing active agenda to sweep their own deplorable actions under the rug while focusing on the deplorable actions of others instead, this kind of tone-deaf behaviour by young people who should know better... but don't, is what it leads to.

I remember the anime GATE and how it seems to be very revisionist while painting the rest of the world as evil. There was even a panel in the manga (that I'm not sure if it made it into the anime), where they basically imply that Japan has never subjugated anyone before. Honestly the undertones made me drop the series.

Now picture actually people who think this. Its crazy.

Booser

At first glance I actually thought they were dressed as pilots. You can even see the stripes. I wouldn't have made the Nazi connection unless I read the article.

Nezumi

Nothing surprising here. I remember being in Japan and seeing a guy wearing a shirt with the old German flag and the old Japanese flag i.e. the ones used during the war, and underneath it said. "Next time without Italy"

The worst thing is that there is a high possibility that the wearer had no idea what he was promoting.

Christhor

Don't see the issue of Nazi's symbolism being glorified?

I guess people will concern troll about anything.

Nazi uniforms are legitimately cool as fuck, why would you let nazis (who will never rise up again) ruin cool stuff for you? If Hitler played video games, would you stop playing video games to not glorify nazi culture?

13ruce

Banned
While i admit that the WW2 Nazi suits look quite stylish it should not be worn because it's tainted by blood and a horrible past and still pretty fresh on peoples minds.

WW2 jokes/satire are fine by me though they ridicule Hitler, Nazism etc so thats good in my book.

Alx

I wouldn't mind just ignoring it as cultural ignorance to be honest. Had they organized that concert in a western country, it would be a huge faux pas indeed, but in this context it's just a scene costume. It's not like they were spouting racial propaganda, right ?
As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind such symbols being trivialised rather than sacralised, which the current taboo in Europe is reinforcing. In the end it's just a hat.

Seiryoden

One might have hoped that the blow-back Kishidan received for their Nazi dress-up would put an end to this :( Also, that repellent pimp Akimoto is on the board of Tokyo 2020? That slipped right past me.

Don't see the issue of Nazi's symbolism being glorified?

I guess people will concern troll about anything.

I don't see how it's being glorified. They're a Japanese teenage girl pop group, it's used with no subtext whatsoever just an outfit which will be replaced by a school uniform or a airline pilot this time next week ... it's the opposite of glorification

I think they resemble more of a fashion take on airforce uniform. But given by the Japanese association/fascination with Nazi it is a bit eyebrow raising, to say the least.

Siegcram

I don't see how it's being glorified. They're a Japanese teenage girl pop group, it's used with no subtext whatsoever just an outfit which will be replaced by a school uniform or a airline pilot this time next week ... it's the opposite of glorification
It was worn by celebrities on stage. That's a lot of things but not "the opposite of glorification".

Irminsul

I wouldn't mind just ignoring it as cultural ignorance to be honest. Had they organized that concert in a western country, it would be a huge faux pas indeed, but in this context it's just a scene costume. It's not like they were spouting racial propaganda, right ?
As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind such symbols being trivialised rather than sacralised, which the current taboo in Europe is reinforcing. In the end it's just a hat.
Ever heard of the band "Laibach"? Though, granted, those guys actually do have a message behind their outfit (and it's not what you could think it is).

JDB

Banned
GAF even has a Nazi uniform defense force. Who knew? Guess a lot of people here always had a weird obsession with Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom