• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

random25

The chance of getting a sequel is slim, but you never know. People behind the game seems to really want this series to continue, so maybe just an increase in portfolio of Switch games would be a good convincing factor for a sequel.

Clov

Maybe for a sequel they could increase the Fire Emblem presence a bit more, and bring in some characters from Fates (or whatever the next one is, if it takes that long to develop). I bet that would get it some more attention. I do think a Switch based sequel would benefit from the larger audience a handheld would bring in Japan, at least. There's always a chance!

Andyliini

While I'm not expecting a sequel in the near future, I would be glad if one would materialize on Switch. Even if such a thing might not happen, I would gladly take another RPG from Nintendo/Atlus collaboration.

Javier

I hope at least the game gets ported to Switch, so it can have better luck at finding an audience. This IP definitely doesn't deserve to die so young.

Maybe even exposure through the new Smash Bros. game. Put the Battle Arena as a stage, at least.

mclem

I hope at least the game gets ported to Switch, so it can have better luck at finding an audience. This IP definitely doesn't deserve to die so young.

Maybe even exposure through the new Smash Bros. game. Put the Battle Arena as a stage, at least.

Dream Catcher Final Smash please.

Did any new info come out on that Avex Group audition for a new rpg? I'd love a sequel to this game, but I don't know if I should be hopeful that we'll ever see one.

LiK

Just started playing this today and about 9 hours in. Loving it so far. Wish I played this sooner last year. Would've been in my top 20 list already.

If it gets a Switch port with a fast forward battles/skip session animations option, that would be divine. I would consider playing it again if that happened!

I do hope the franchise isn't dead, because it really was one of my favourite games of last year and it would be a shame to lose it.

KarmaCow

If it gets a Switch port with a fast forward battles/skip session animations option, that would be divine. I would consider playing it again if that happened!

I do hope the franchise isn't dead, because it really was one of my favourite games of last year and it would be a shame to lose it.

I have to imagine the inability to skip session attacks was due to hardware limitations considering the game noticeably chugs when switching characters or when an ad-lib performance is about to trigger but that (and the process of going back to Tiki) ruined the game for me. Not sure if it would be enough to buy it again at full or even half price though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have to imagine the inability to skip session attacks was due to hardware limitations considering the game noticeably chugs when switching characters or when an ad-lib performance is about to trigger but that (and the process of going back to Tiki) ruined the game for me. Not sure if it would be enough to buy it again at full or even half price though.
What if you got to properly date the ladies? :3

bman94

I plan on getting this game eventually, was waiting for a price drop. Do you guys think this game will become hard to find physically?

Chinbo37

Just bought the speical edition.

I dont really know anythign about this game but I am picking up stuff for my Wii U that I might want to play and will probably be hard to find soon.

Looking forward to it!

Xeno_V

I have played the game for approx. 5 hours and I just finished chapter 1.
I enjoyed what I saw so far, but something tells me that I already saw all of the mechanisms of the game, so from now the whole formula won't change much.

I am not enjoying the plot and I knew that I wouldn't but the gameplay so far was fun. Still, there is zero chance that I can keep on doing this for 40 more hours or so, and I think I would rather save my energy for Persona 5.

Is there any chance that I am wrong? Is there something interesting that can shake things up a bit or should I expect more of the same until the end?

Astral Dog

I enjoyed what I saw so far, but something tells me that I already saw all of the mechanisms of the game, so from now the whole formula won't change much.

I am not enjoying the plot and I knew that I wouldn't but the gameplay so far was fun. Still, there is zero chance that I can keep on doing this for 40 more hours or so, and I think I would rather save my energy for Persona 5.

Is there any chance that I am wrong? Is there something interesting that can shake things up a bit or should I expect more of the same until the end?
You have to love the battle system snd visuals wichbi think are quite unique.

Other than that there are not much surprises besides the design of the dungeons

There are a lot more battle elements that will be unlocked, spread over the next few chapters.

muteki

It was certainly a much more compelling game when Persona 5 was ~8+ months away, compared to now when it is close to two.

That being said it has some really interesting dungeon designs/mechanics and battle system even if the world and story are a bit lacking.

SMD

It was certainly a much more compelling game when Persona 5 was ~8+ months away, compared to now when it is close to two.

That being said it has some really interesting dungeon designs/mechanics and battle system even if the world and story are a bit lacking.

Is Persona 5 a Sony exclusive? If so, an enhanced TMS would fill a gap for Switch owners nicely.

pezzie

I have to admit. I'm a little surprised, I'm actually not loving this game, or at the moment barely even liking it.

I blasted through Persona 3 and 4, with 4 being one of my favorite games ever. Everything about this game sounds like something I would enjoy, but I'm about 15 hours in, smack in the middle of Chapter 3, and I've left the game untouched for the past 2 weeks basically because I can't muster up the motivation to play. The characters aren't that interesting to me, the story isn't really compelling, and the side quests, while fun, aren't very deep or engaging. Maybe I should give it another shot and push through, but I bought this game as kind of a warm up for Persona 5 later this year and I am actually pretty shocked by how much I am not loving this one.

FluxWaveZ

I have to admit. I'm a little surprised, I'm actually not loving this game, or at the moment barely even liking it.

I blasted through Persona 3 and 4, with 4 being one of my favorite games ever. Everything about this game sounds like something I would enjoy, but I'm about 15 hours in, smack in the middle of Chapter 3, and I've left the game untouched for the past 2 weeks basically because I can't muster up the motivation to play. The characters aren't that interesting to me, the story isn't really compelling, and the side quests, while fun, aren't very deep or engaging. Maybe I should give it another shot and push through, but I bought this game as kind of a warm up for Persona 5 later this year and I am actually pretty shocked by how much I am not loving this one.

You're not going to really be warming up more to the characters or the story as it goes on. Those are definitely the weakest parts of the game to me, and why I don't think it stands on the same level as the recent Persona games. You need to be really into the gameplay aspects to enjoy #FE.

PillarEN

20 hours in. Just finished chapter 2. I am loving this game. Coming into this with a huge appreciation for Person 3 and 4 and having no appreciation for Fire Emblem (other than the music because I never played the games). So this is good for me.

Chaos17

Grabbed this game while waiting for Persona 5 and oh man, my brain has never been so fucked up. I played until chapter 2 so far, a part of me is liking it (gameplay wise) and an other part of me just scream "wtf am I playing" lol

Great combat. Great art. Too bad the characters and dialogue are horrid. Shit writing ruins another game I'd like otherwise. I can't believe characters openly talking about wanting to be a hero is a thing. It was bad enough with Snow in 13. I did enjoy Cain calling him out on it and saying that was odd.

Chaos17

I agree that the writing is making me "facepalm" a lot, Persona and Shin megami tensei aren't that badly written. I'm usualy really open minded...
Anyway, I finaly reached a sub boss of chapter 2 dungeon and damn, I dislike to have to go buy items to debuffs it >.> Please nerf its buffs, lol
But what surprise me is the difficulty level, I feel that I'm on hard because if I dare to mess up my session, normal enemies can be tough to beat.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Bought TMS back in November when Best Buy had it on sale but I only just started it up on Sunday night as weddings, honeymoons, and moving got in the way.

I'm not big on RPGs as I was back in the 90s but the battle system doesn't seem too confusing thusfar, even though it's certainly initially daunting. Played through the prologue last night and I'll be starting chapter one tonight.

Kinda bummed that we didn't get translations for the battle conversations. I feel like what the characters are saying probably helps in the heat of battle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kinda bummed that we didn't get translations for the battle conversations. I feel like what the characters are saying probably helps in the heat of battle.

The portraits above them also reflect what they're saying in a pretty obvious way to coincide with their dialogue. They're basically indicating stuff like if they can help out with a session attack, if their session attack won't be effective due to enemy resistances, if they're unsure if their attack will work well if it's a new enemy you've just encountered, that sort of thing. Aside from the generic battle cry stuff of course.

JoeFu

Banned
Stopped playing this game for some reason. Roommate picked up Persona 5 and made me want to return to it. Hopefully I don't stop playing this again for no reason. Would like to beat it some day lol

This game was the reason I bought a Wii U recently. If the nonstop amazing game release pace of 2017 ever slows down maybe I'll be able to get back and put some quality time into it.

PillarEN

LOL. So I'm at the Borg/Cord fight. One of them breaks out of charm. Kills his charmer. And that's that. Because when I revive he immediately attacks her again before she can charm. What a dumb fight. Essentially a forced game over since my two ladies can't withstand the attack. So dumb.

Edit: the TV puzzle? It's pretty obvious. Just go to the corresponding room. The layout of the rooms is like the layout of the TVs.

E-flux

LOL. So I'm at the Borg/Cord fight. One of them breaks out of charm. Kills his charmer. And that's that. Because when I revive he immediately attacks her again before she can charm. What a dumb fight. Essentially a forced game over since my two ladies can't withstand the attack. So dumb.

Edit: the TV puzzle? It's pretty obvious. Just go to the corresponding room. The layout of the rooms is like the layout of the TVs.

You could just throw in a reflect on tsubasa and kiria for a few rounds and take care one of those monsters, after that the fight becomes trivial. Or just level up once or twice.

PillarEN

You could just throw in a reflect on tsubasa and kiria for a few rounds and take care one of those monsters, after that the fight becomes trivial. Or just level up once or twice.

Yeah I'm in the process of clearing out the dungeon with the director. I got Tsu and Ki up to 40. Gonna head back to do the side mission. Didn't think of doing a reflect. In general I sort of ignore items other than ailment/death related items.

Gambit

just bought the game on Saturday for 25€. I was meaning to wait for a (ever so unlikely) portable version, but since it was so cheap, I thought why not.

Won't play it till after Zelda and FE Echoes, but am happy to own it.

It's funny, I was initially disappointed with its direction but over time I've been becoming more and more interested, especially since it gives me a bit of a Persona vibe but does not seem to make me collect monsters. Instead I get a fixed FE character per person. Sounds like a good trade to me.

(Monster collection in any RPG is my least favourite mechanic.)

depward

Ready to dig into this, as it's the 2nd RPG I wanted to play for WiiU and I completed Xenoblade Chronicles X this morning.

So far, liking the look! Think the use of the tablet is fun with it being your smartphone of sorts.

Also agree with you Gambit - I dislike the Monster collection aspect of games. It's absolutely my least favorite mechanic of SMT / Persona games.

The chance of getting a sequel is slim, but you never know. People behind the game seems to really want this series to continue, so maybe just an increase in portfolio of Switch games would be a good convincing factor for a sequel.

I think they should try a Switch port first. But I doubt it happens without fans petitioning for it.

StereoVsn

I think they should try a Switch port first. But I doubt it happens without fans petitioning for it.
Considering that Switch is going to become Vita and 3DS (eventual) successor (TMS audience right there) it would be a smart move for both Atlus and Nintendo. Switch doesn't have a lot of RPGs and a quick port of TMS with maybe a few QoL improvements would do decently well.

Edit: They could market this as "From Creators of Persona 5".

I hope the censorship isn't all that bad, because after an entire morning of trying to get the Reincarnation Patch to work I'm officially done with this shit. My high-end PC and my laptop through multiple USB card readers and a built in card reader utterly refuses to recognize two different microSD cards.

I know something is going on that is fixable but I've lost patience.

Guess I'm just gonna try to enjoy the black smoke and rap music costumes.

Top Bottom