• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

This author’s life-long dream is to become a craftsman that “writes poems accompanying idol gravure”. In order to fulfill that dream, I’ve taken on the title “expert idol writer”, which does not an actual profession, I am constantly thinking about idols, use the internet, and continue writing papers on idols without my parents having any knowledge about it. I’m waiting for your messages of support.

I don't know what this is or if it is even real but I laughed

Kurita

RADWIMPS's two-man tour will be a goldmine :
Noda singing with Satou during the RADWIMPS x Kinoko Teikoku show the other day <3
DOOWuCO.jpg

And Noda with Yonezu Kenshi <3 Still amazed by the size of Yonezu Kenshi, dude is 1m88, that's quite unusual for a Japanese guy... Noda was already one of the tallest Japanese artists... :lol

I just saw teddyloid, Ram Rider, Kyary, World Order, m-flo (X crystal kay/ minami) and Capsule! :)
And I met Toshiko (Capsule) outside and shook her hand *melts*

llehuty

I just saw teddyloid, Ram Rider, Kyary, World Order, m-flo (X crystal kay/ minami) and Capsule! :)
And I met Toshiko (Capsule) outside and shook her hand *melts*

Damn, that seems like a lot of performances, how long was the whole thing? Also, was Genki Sudo performing with World Order? It's difficult to imagine the group now without him.

Damn, that seems like a lot of performances, how long was the whole thing? Also, was Genki Sudo performing with World Order? It's difficult to imagine the group now without him.
I was there for around seven hours in all!
Yep he was there, he spoke to the audience a lot and introduced all of the members, and spoke about their next performance in December. They were pretty awesome!

Darksol

RADWIMPS's two-man tour will be a goldmine :
Noda singing with Satou during the RADWIMPS x Kinoko Teikoku show the other day <3

And Noda with Yonezu Kenshi <3 Still amazed by the size of Yonezu Kenshi, dude is 1m88, that's quite unusual for a Japanese guy... Noda was already one of the tallest Japanese artists... :lol

:D :D :D

Jintor

this is a bit of a weird shot but anybody know of any blogs that just cover promo shots of japanese musicians etc? just doing a lot of sketching and want some more input besides my street style/korean fashion blogs

i'm more into the dj-electro on the style side but hey whatever, it's sketching practice

Kurita

Well if you follow Natalie.mu on Twitter you get the images so... That's about it.
I often put the promo shots of bands I like on my Tumblr. Actually I had the idea to do a Tumblr that was just promo shots cause I also dig that. One day maybe!
EDIT : you know what? There you go : http://hougakusnap.tumblr.com/
I'll post a bunch of pictures this week.

oh wow, that production. she's come a really long way in a very short amount of time. she sounds way more confident. the power of singing the theme song for yuri anime?

e: wat, there's a new BELLRING single today too, this is officially the most stacked release day of the year for japanese music

buh, I'd cancel my YOU ARE THE WORLD order and buy it off ototoy but it's in the "shipping preparation" phase. probably just buy that Su&#20984;ko D&#20985;koi mini to give me something to listen to

e2: I guess that BELLRING have a new album coming out in a few months, missed that announcement. yay!

okay, so it's pretty well known that the files that Ototoy sell are fucked up like 95% of the time, but this Su&#20984;ko D&#20985;koi album might take the cake. which isn't a minor statement when the Psybou Kanojo album had one track inside it's own folder inside the album folder.

the tags are royally screwed up, because of course they are (windows refuses to even acknowledge it has tags), but this is a new level of incompetence

msRIZg1.png

oh yeah, and by the way, that 4mb picture is embedded in every single file.

that sounds like I'm angry, I'm not, I'm just surprised

Aizo

Banned
Holy shit. That edit. I was about to post new Kinoko Teikoku. There are only 119 views right now. It honestly reminds me of some old Bonnie Pink songs with all the violin.

More like Fastdive, am I right?

Kansoku

Honestly, &#29483;&#12392;&#12450;&#12524;&#12523;&#12462;&#12540; sounds like a generic indie/pop rock song to me. That's not bad by itself, this song is not awful by any means, and IMO it's better than &#24618;&#29539;&#12398;&#33109;&#12398;&#12394;&#12363;, but they removed every single thing that made me like their music, the things that made them unique. I'll listen to the album, but I don't think it will change anything. Oh well, I will chose to live in a reality where the disbanded after Long Goodbye EP and this is a new band, say, &#12501;&#12531;&#12462;&#24093;&#22269;, that have the same members.

Kurita

Tokyo Karankoron just announced a new full album to be released on January 20th, yay A 2-discs album, 7 songs each, 1 theme for each disc.
New song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haTSIAUBL2g
Pretty good.

While they're not bad songs, I hope the album is more shoegaze.

I bought the album today (amongst others), some songs are shoegaze-ish, like &#22799;&#12398;&#22812;&#12398;&#34903; (that also has some dub elements in it) or &#12489;&#12521;&#12452;&#12502; (with haunting ethereal vocals).
Overall it's kinda Fake World Wonderland meets Uzu ni Naru meets Eureka at times.
I loooove the piano in a lot of songs, it sometimes gives a dramatic feel to them (&#12473;&#12459;&#12523;&#12503;&#12481;&#12515;&#12540; for instance, the passion in this song is phenomenal).

They look awful. I wonder if this is a one-off thing or if they're getting rid of their other ones for good?

well I guess this is their actual new main uniforms.

kind of Space Channel 5ish. kinda cute.

e: well except Kechon (purple). she just looks like Buzz Lightyear.

--

I'm assuming it's Pocky day or something based on twitter pictures?

Hazaku

Is Spangle call Lilli line's new album worth picking up?

Also my shit from the Space Shower store arrived! The &#12466;&#12473;&#12398;&#26997;&#12415;&#20057;&#22899; badge is nicer than I expected. Initially thought the shirts I picked up were girly ones though ...

So Miku Expo 2016 is happening in more cities next year in NorthAmerica
April 23rd in Seattle, WaMu Theater
April 30th in San Francisco, The Warfield ( 2 shows, 1 Morning and 1Night )
May 6th in Los Angeles, Microsoft Theater
May 14th in Dallas, The Bomb Factory
May 20th in Toronto, Sony Centre for the Performing Arts
May 28th in New York, Hammerstein Ballroom ( 2 shows, 1 Morning and 1Night )
+ONE MORE CITY TBA!

It'll take a while to catch up on all of this week's music. Listened to the new YMM! a couple times and while there a few old songs I probably wouldn't have included, I'm really happy with all the new ones. Mariko Goto's song is fantastic and KAWAII&#12495;&#12540;&#12489;&#12467;&#12450;&#37504;&#27827; destroys that song length/quality correlation theory. Also really glad Only You got a video.

Risa Satosaki of Shoujo Kakka no International has a new video out, starring an entirely different member of that group. The song is seriously good, her best yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVm_rPoHKNY

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I stumbled on this (maybe a little weird) interview with psych band Suishou no Fune. They were one of the loudest live acts I've ever seen when I saw them years ago, maybe second only to MBV.

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I stumbled on this (maybe a little weird) interview with psych band Suishou no Fune. They were one of the loudest live acts I've ever seen when I saw them years ago, maybe second only to MBV.

weirdly the loudest "band" I've ever seen live was Skinny Puppy, it was fucking madness. and I've seen Boris, etc. there's only a handful of bands I've seen that have made my chest hurt, they're one. Melvins/Big Business did the job too.

my YMM cds (the full length and the soundtrack ep) won't be here until tomorrow. I have heard Kawaii Hardcore Galaxy on live recordings though, it's a good song. Cinema Staff's bassist tears it up on that one.

there's still like 3-4 releases from this week that I want to pick up at some point. 11/11 killing it.

Kurita

Grabbed Bentham's new album today, OMG.
OMG is a fitting title, that was pretty much my reaction when I listened to it. They went from "alright pop-rock band" to "super duper good pop-rock band" in less than a year. Dunno what happened to them but everything just feels more refined, polished. Their song writing skills drastically improved, it's amazing. Didn't expect to say that but this'll definitely be one of my favorite releases of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks1obovYHg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdBeei07iI

And since I can't wait for my CD I also bought KANA-BOON's songs from their split single with Scenarioart (plus one of the b-sides from Scenarioart since I won't have it on my CD).
talking is super groovy/funky, their most danceable tunes to date (technically it's an old song from their indie days but whatever), the bass is just SOOO GOOD.
The b-sides are damn good, too, especially, PUZZLE. It reminds me of their other fantastic b-side &#26085;&#12399;&#33853;&#12385;&#12289;&#12414;&#12383;&#32368;&#12426;&#36820;&#12377;.

Kansoku

Listened to the new &#12365;&#12398;&#12371;&#24093;&#22269;. I like &#22799;&#12398;&#22812;&#12398;&#34903;, &#12473;&#12459;&#12523;&#12503;&#12481;&#12515;&#12540; and &#12402;&#12392;&#12402;&#12425;, which is 3 more that I was expecting to like.

But yeah. It's was surprising. I still don't like it, and won't keep following them (
but still seeing every MV they put out in hope that they come back to the sound I like
pls come back
).
But it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Honestly, I think I kinda like it more than Fake World Wonderland. At least there's not a 24/Unknown Planet, or better yet, no Fake World Wonderland.in this album. And it's actually pretty consistent.

Kurita

Lord have mercy, Mrs. GREEN APPLE will release their first full album on January 13th, same day as Gesu no Kiwami Otome. Don't do that to me during my finals week smh

Listened to the new YMM! a couple times and while there a few old songs I probably wouldn't have included, I'm really happy with all the new ones. Mariko Goto's song is fantastic and KAWAII&#12495;&#12540;&#12489;&#12467;&#12450;&#37504;&#27827; destroys that song length/quality correlation theory.

yeah, I don't think &#27874;&#12364;&#12394;&#12356;&#26085; needed to go on there, but for some reason their dumb idol songs are crowd favorites so I'm sure that helps. for the new songs, I'm not hot on &#36578;&#12364;&#12428;&#8252;&#65038; or &#19981;&#24847;&#25171;&#12390;&#8252;&#65038;, the latter is especially a let down considering it's written by Hayashi. Like UFO, the back half of this album completely annihilates the front. They do that in concert too, front-loading all their doofy idol pop stuff and then bring out the big guns later. Tracks 9-17 are unstoppable. the booklet has tracks 10 and 11 backwards though, lol. Goto's song is so goddamn good. actually kind of sounds like a bleak Momoclo song, lol

Top Bottom