• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Slowdive

Banned
The new SCLL is really good, as expected.

The new Kinoko Teikoku isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it's easily their worse release, there's like two or three really good songs on there. It's just disappointing knowing what they're capable of.

Hazaku

first impression? It's alright. some songs are definitely better than others. it kicks the shit out of that Kinoko Teikoku album though. and the good songs are quite good.

Good enough for me. I'll grab it off Ototoy or Amazon when I get home.

Also does BiSH merch always sell out crazy fast?

Peru

CTrl8sOUwAAeXGT.jpg
CTrl9EgUYAIhhuH.jpg

New JP single December 16 & miwa did a BoA special today on NHK FM where she just talked and played BoA songs.. and did an acoustic cover of Jewel Song: https://soundcloud.com/jinida2/boas-jewel-song-cover-by-miwa-at-151115-nhk-fm-boa-special

Kurita

Mrs. GREEN APPLE released a short version for Speaking (well, I already watched the full version of the Space Shower mobile App)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mosDgy30qCs
Great great great

japanese artists 2productive4me, hard to keep up sometimes

Are they more productive than western acts?
Most artists I listen to release at least an album every year/two years but I don't know how it is in other countries.
I think the most productive artists I listen to are GOOD ON THE REEL (7 mini-albums and 2 full albums between 2011 and 2015), Nothing's Carved In Stone (7 full albums since 2009) and Suiyoubi no Campanella (6 albums since 2013).

yes, good god, yes. western acts put out albums maybe every two years, and singles usually only come out around time of release. some exceptions obviously

Grimes' new album is 3 years after the last.

several japanese groups I follow have put out two albums this year

YMM! put out 3 EPs, a single, an album, two live dvds, and a movie this year.

Kurita

Ah you're right about singles, I almost never see a commercial for a single on TV here while they're their "own thing" in Japan (I don't know if what I mean is clear haha, like they're not just promotion for the upcoming album).

Boss Mog

They have to be a lot more productive since their sales are way lower than western acts. They usually tour a lot more than western acts too.

Just for reference, Scandal, one of my favorite Japanese bands, even though their songs are featured in popular animes, video games, TV shows, movies, and TV commercials, their singles only sell about 15-35k and their albums like 50-60k in Japan (physical copies).

popyea

yes, good god, yes. western acts put out albums maybe every two years, and singles usually only come out around time of release. some exceptions obviously

Grimes' new album is 3 years after the last.

several japanese groups I follow have put out two albums this year

YMM! put out 3 EPs, a single, an album, two live dvds, and a movie this year.

It seems like underground stuff is the opposite though. Like a lot of them road test the same setlist for years and years without releasing anything. Results in some tight sounding stuff but very little of it.

tentenko and t. mikawa are live right now if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoPy9DR1gkE

this is strangely soothing considering my migraine

e: now tenten solo. she was talking with her natural voice for a while, it was throwing me off.

e2: over now

--

I guess Mizuta Mari is in a new group with other idols orphaned by their previous groups. preview here: http://ototoy.jp/_/default/p/57399

kinda sounds like shit, tbh, I expect more of her :(

neoanarch

Hey j-music gaf. I've been listening to moumoon non stop for at least a week. Such a fun pop band. The songs are just infectiously happy. I kind dove into some j-musox thing the last few weeks actually. Wagakki Band, The Blue Hearts, and Kohh.

she's one of those people that you can all but guarantee will have a successful post-idol career. wouldn't be surprised if she did the singer/songwriter route.

I could see that for her. Hopefully she can make it like the singer, dancer, fashion model and actress, Itano Tomomi who has had a successful solo career spanning 2 years and has sold millions of records.

Kurita

KANA-BOON next to a SMAP member is both hilarious and awkward. <3 Especially when their band name is a joke on KAT-TUN, a Johnny's band.

I could see that for her. Hopefully she can make it like the singer, dancer, fashion model and actress, Itano Tomomi who has had a successful solo career spanning 2 years and has sold millions of records.

I'd rather she retire than turn into a plastic surgery nightmare with 0 good songs to her name.

I'd rather she retire than turn into a plastic surgery nightmare with 0 good songs to her name.

tumblr_mrifscG4AG1qh0ej5o1_250.gif

I won't raise my stan card but I must clarify that she hasn't had plastic, (I literally just remembered her boobs (which is debatable), but apart from that), she hasn't had anything else done.

I won't raise my stan card but I must clarify that she hasn't had plastic, (I literally just remembered her boobs (which is debatable), but apart from that), she hasn't had anything else done.

hah, I know. I can sort of see the appeal I guess? but she's so far outside of what I look for in looks, music, and personality that I like taking jabs at Tomochin fans :p

I mean what I say about her music though

---

aaaahhhh someone's making a documentary about NATURE DANGER GANG, Have a Nice Day!, Oyasumi Hologram, etc

awesoooome

getting a theatrical release too, crazy.

What a hostile environment this thread has become, shame on you all!!

hah, I know. I can sort of see the appeal I guess? but she's so far outside of what I look for in looks, music, and personality that I like taking jabs at Tomochin fans :p

I mean what I say about her music though

I guess she doesn't really do the type of music you like, you might enjoy some of her debut stuff where she sang off key a lot?. To deny the jam that is 1% is to deny life.

--------
^^^^ The picture reminds me, am I the only one liking Miwa's recent single? people have slated it as being boring but it's beautiful to me tbh

Does anyone like Aiko Okumura?

She released a new album called Red Lantern almost a month ago.

n6zcUPh.jpg

I bought the last albums through itunes, but this new album sandly is only available thru her webshop or amazon.jp, and there is no way to hear the tracks, or a snippet...

Does anyone actually bought the album? is it similar to her last one Shocking Blue or did it change?

Kurita

New Hitorie single on January 27th, the title track will be used as the OP for Divine Gate (no idea what that anime is). Yay

Kurita

THE ORAL CIGARETTES just announced their second full album! January 5th!

FIXION
news_header_THEORALCIGARETTES_art201511.jpg

news_xlarge_toc_fixion_shokaiJK.jpg
news_xlarge_toc_fixion_tsujoJK.jpg

01. &#27671;&#12389;&#12369;&#12424;Baby
02. &#29378;&#20081; Hey Kids!!
03. MIRROR
04. STAY ONE
05. &#12456;&#12452;&#12511;&#12540;
06. &#12510;&#12490;&#12540;&#12514;&#12540;&#12489;
07. &#36890;&#12426;&#36942;&#12366;&#12383;&#23395;&#31680;&#12398;&#31354;&#12391;
08. &#12459;&#12531;&#12479;&#12531;&#12490;&#12467;&#12488;
09. A-E-U-I
10. Everything

Hazaku

Hey j-music gaf. I've been listening to moumoon non stop for at least a week. Such a fun pop band. The songs are just infectiously happy. I kind dove into some j-musox thing the last few weeks actually. Wagakki Band, The Blue Hearts, and Kohh.

Yeah I just jam Sunshine Girl whenever I'm feeling down lmao.

So jelly my friend got to see them and a bunch of other acts I like at SXSW this year

Kurita

indigo la End and Gesu no Kiwami Otome are doing songs for Shoumestsu Toshi's commercials (it's a mobile game). Guess the Gesu song will be on their new album, and I assume indigo la End will release a new single soon.
Picture of both bands for the occasion.

Top Bottom