• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

great band. one of my gateways into current japanese music. though I think I actually slightly prefer Etsuko's solo stuff more these days.

I love both, but I usually end up listening to the band more. Etsuko's solo stuff tends to be more out there as far as instrumentation. Some are also really long songs with separate sections that are like "movements" almost, like Nornir or Shounen yo Ware ni Kaere. I have to be in a specific mood to listen to these.

She does have solo stuff that's closer to my normal taste though, like Venus to Jesus.

I just found out about this group from Osaka called goat. It's pretty unconventional music and is more like electronic music played with real instruments, but they're so tight when they play live it's unreal.

Here're a couple of their tracks:
Solid Eye
std
NEW GAMES

I just found out about this group from Osaka called goat. It's pretty unconventional music and is more like electronic music played with real instruments, but they're so tight when they play live it's unreal.

Here're a couple of their tracks:
Solid Eye
std
NEW GAMES

I really like this.

e: if you know anywhere that sells this digitally, let me know. otherwise, it's going into my next amazon jp order.

Rainy

Banned
Random, but fairly good chance that Adele's "25" will break Utada Hikaru's record for the most albums sold ever in one week. (She sold 3,002,720 in one week with "Distance" in 2001). Adele has already sold 2.3 million in the US alone in 3 days!

Pls release more music Hikki.

Anyway I've been listening to "No. 1" by Kana Nishino, mostly because it was featured in a drama I was watching (Okitegami Kyōko no Bibōroku).

POP「Happy Lucky Kirakira Lucky」PV

look who's back! not sure about that hairdo though.

--

CTm4hMtUwAA9ZDp.jpg:large

<3 | <3

--

oh and this apparently. I woke up with Hamada's song in my head and was immediately pissed off about it

--

As Naver explains, when NGT48 was first announced earlier this year, people online in Japan kept calling the group &#8220;Nugget 48.&#8221;

http://kotaku.com/watch-out-america-mcdonalds-japan-is-releasing-a-48-pi-1744372845

--

koutei camera girl are recruiting... again

Peru

Pls don't beat Utada's record. This has to be the last ever serious attempt.. can't see anything beating it after.

Anyway I've been listening to "No. 1" by Kana Nishino, mostly because it was featured in a drama I was watching (Okitegami Ky&#333;ko no Bib&#333;roku).

Good stuff.

Here she is performing it live - https://youtu.be/ooIIsA0VAkw?t=2m25s

A bit of a shaky performance for her tbh, and she forgot to do the finger click at the beginning so what was the point really..?

(Is the drama any good? Is that Yui Aragaki as the lead actress..?)
(***upon re-watching the video and not skipping over the talking part I hear that is indeed Yui Aragaki, nice).

Kurita

Hah, Brian the Sun announced that they'll make their major debut next year! Just according to keikaku.
No label name yet but I'm betting on either : A-Sketch, Columbia or Universal.
I'm also expecting bands like Dramatic Alaska, Kankaku Piero and sumika to go major next year.

Speaking of Dramatic Alaska, their upcoming single is sounding goooood!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4T8eVg6s1Q
Their catchiest song to date.

Rainy

Banned
Good stuff.

Here she is performing it live - https://youtu.be/ooIIsA0VAkw?t=2m25s

A bit of a shaky performance for her tbh, and she forgot to do the finger click at the beginning so what was the point really..?

(Is the drama any good? Is that Yui Aragaki as the lead actress..?)
(***upon re-watching the video and not skipping over the talking part I hear that is indeed Yui Aragaki, nice).

I've watched 5 episodes so far and I like it a lot, it's cute and funny. The mysteries are pretty interesting too. Thanks for the link! And yeah it wasn't the best live but she still sounds good here~

Pls don't beat Utada's record. This has to be the last ever serious attempt.. can't see anything beating it after.

Hikki is my favorite artist but it def looks like she'll get beaten here. Anyway no one will ever break her Japanese records ^^

Kurita

Aaah, TSUNAMI, one of the best Southern All Stars song <3

Bought Frederic's new album this week, OTOTUNE.
What a release this is... I don't know how they do it but each album just one-up the previous one. This one felt somewhat more "rock" than their previous stuff, but that's just an impression I think. &#12495;&#12525;&#12540;&#12464;&#12483;&#12496;&#12452;, FUTURE ICE CREAM, &#30495;&#12387;&#36196;&#12394;CAR... all instant classics.

llehuty

Perfume documentary to screen in London next month!

‘WE ARE Perfume -WORLD TOUR 3rd DOCUMENT’ is scheduled for a special one-day screening at the Rich Mix cinema in London on 12th December.

In addition, there will be Perfume merchandise, including T-shirts, stickers and plastic folders available to purchase at the venue for a limited time only. These are limited edition items for their documentary and you cannot get them anywhere else.

Tickets are £13.70

They can be bought here.

I can't help it, tickets already bought :3

Kyzer

Banned
I'm trying to collect sample material (getting into production), and absolutely love Joe Hisaishi. Can anyone point me to some other composers with his style?

neogaf's #1 Kato Miliyah fan here, reporting in!

I just heard her new single, Lipstick and Never Call Me Again

gotta say, I love this singer so much, but the last time she released a song I really dug was January of last year when Love/Affection came out

(and her subsequent album Loveland was real good too)

since then I've been lukewarm on the stuff she's been putting out.

The Best was meh, MUSE was meh, her mix album was meh, and I'm bummed that I STILL haven't had the privilege to hear the full version of Megami no Hikari.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'd love if we could get some Miliyah returning to her roots. Something like Yozora or AT THE FEVER would be awesome. I really miss hip-hop Miliyah.

Also would it kill SMEJ to unblock Miliyah's channel in the US?

Performer list for this years Kohaku Uta Gassen

Red (Women)
E-girls
Ikimonogakari
Sayuri Ishikawa
Miki Imai
AKB48
NMB48
Sakurako Ohara
Natsuko Godai
Fuyumi Sakamoto
Ringo Shiina
Aya Shimazu
Superfly
Mariko Takahashi
Yoshimi Tendo
AAA
Kana Nishino
Nogizaka46
Perfume
Ayako Fuji
Seiko Matsuda
Kaori Mizumori
&#956;'s
Miwa
Rebecca
Akiko Wada

White (Men)
Arashi
Hiroshi Itsuki
Exile
X Japan
Kanjani8
Gesu no Kiwami Otome
Hiromi Go
Golden Bomber
Masahiko Kond&#333;
J Soul Brothers
SMAP
SEKAI NO OWARI
Hideaki Tokunaga
Sexy Zone
TOKIO
BUMP OF CHICKEN
Kiyoshi Hikawa
V6
Masaharu Fukuyama
Gen Hoshino
Takashi Hosokawa
Miyama Hiroshi
Akihiro Miwa
Shinichi Mori
Keisuke Yamauchi

Big news on both sides this year. Nogizaka46 finally gets a spot. That's very well deserved. And Bump of Chicken will be performing.

New Perfume song can be heard in a Mercedes Benz commercial
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qv7PodxyyWs
It's alright I guess, but definitely the weaker song of all the post-Level 3 releases imo (that's just me not really liking songs with that tempo though)

I had a hunch so I tapped out the bpm, and my hunch was correct: 128bpm.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-electronic-songs-play-at-or-around-128-BPM

I decided to just go through the rest of the songs on their youtube channel and also at 128bpm:

- One Room Disco
- Magic of Love
- Pick Me Up
- Nee
- Baby Cruising Love
- Polyrhythm

The only other bpm that kept popping up was 135, which is a really common workout/running tempo.

Also it was mildly depressing to realize that they were much more varied earlier in their career. :\

e: looks like the white team is going to run away with the win again this year

e2: just noticed the lack of Momoclo and KPP. well if you needed a clearer sign of their statuses in 2015...

Kurita

Hoshino Gen, BUMP OF CHICKEN, SEKAI NO OWARI and Gesu no Kiwami Otome are enough to destroy the girls team haha

Speaking of BUMP OF CHICKEN, new album coming next February!

TsuXna

New Galneryus teaser for their new album, Under the Force of Courage. Still one of my favorite Japanese Metal bands, and one of my favorite Power Metal bands in general.

!!! Syu solos makes me cry. Must say i hate Engrish lyrics, they totally ruin the songs.

Went to Hello Sleepwalkers concert today. It was so good! They play was so clean and vocals were amazing. Narumi is a perfect waifu. I didn't quite like the setlist tho 3 ballad songs one after another. The little jam they played before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dPpdvPM2FM before that song took my breath away. Must go next time.

Kurita

New SAKANAMON is pretty great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUjGqgGgRLM
Shame it's a Tower Records Exclusive.

So yeah, BUMP OF CHICKEN's new album, Butterflies, February 10th!
news_header_BUMPOFCHICKEN_art201511.jpg

11 songs including
&#12539;You were here
&#12539;&#12501;&#12449;&#12452;&#12479;&#12540;
&#12539;&#12497;&#12524;&#12540;&#12489;
&#12539;Hello,world!
&#12539;&#12467;&#12525;&#12491;&#12540;
&#12539;Butterfly
Limited edition includes their full 2015 Yokohama Arena show and they'll be doing a stadium tour for their 20th anniversary. Tour finale at the Nissan Stadium.

neshcom

Banned
Namie avoids year-end stuff by choice, so it wasn't anything to do with VF.

There were a lot of rumors though that her jump from VF to STELLA/Dimension Point would lead her to make it happen. A few years ago, she said she refuses the show because VF refused to get her on when requested. At the time of the Dimension Point jump, the rumor was that her national tour would kick off with a Kouhaku show, but LIVEGENIC is already underway, so they probably didn't want to delay the tour for it. Are all the New Years shows' guests lists announced yet? Maybe another show paid out.

Flower's PV for "&#30643;&#12398;&#22885;&#12398;&#37504;&#27827;(&#12511;&#12523;&#12461;&#12540;&#12454;&#12455;&#12452;)"

This is so beautiful, I'm in love with it. They never disappoint with visuals and even the song is great, bravo Flower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwBUZeCqR4

$10 they're waiting until her 25th anniversary or the 20 year anniversary of Can You Celebrate (2017).

That would be amazing, but I'm worried she's going to announce retirement on her 25th anniversary. I'm doing my best next year to save and fly out there to one of her concerts before that.

Aizo

Banned
e2: just noticed the lack of Momoclo and KPP. well if you needed a clearer sign of their statuses in 2015...
Momokuro says that they've moved on from it. &#12418;&#12418;&#12356;&#12429;&#12463;&#12525;&#12540;&#12496;&#12540;Z&#12364;“&#32005;&#30333;&#21330;&#26989;”&#12434;&#30330;&#34920;&#12289;&#24180;&#36234;&#12375;&#12521;&#12452;&#12502;&#12300;&#12422;&#12367;&#26691;&#12367;&#12427;&#26691;&#12301;&#38283;&#20652;&#12408;
The headline sums it up pretty succinctly. They'll be doing their own countdown show in Tokyo from 10pm-1am.

the winners of this year's miss ID will be announced in a few hours (1500 JST). in the intermediate rankings, Nao from Passcode was 2nd overall and Mai from Bed-In was 5th, which is still funny to me.

judging by what I've read, that's largely reactionary to not being picked, since several members have said they're bummed about not being invited. but good for them I guess? can't imagine it'd be too hard to find available timeslots on competing channels during Kouhaku...

Peru

Flower's PV for "&#30643;&#12398;&#22885;&#12398;&#37504;&#27827;(&#12511;&#12523;&#12461;&#12540;&#12454;&#12455;&#12452;)"

This is so beautiful, I'm in love with it. They never disappoint with visuals and even the song is great, bravo Flower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwBUZeCqR4

It's funny that they're just one vocalist with a crew of dancers now - but it also creates a dynamic that's kind of unique. Nice tune and dance performance.

Aizo

Banned
&#12412;&#12367;&#12398;&#12426;&#12426;&#12387;&#12367;&#12398;&#12412;&#12358;&#12424;&#12415; - &#12300;sub/objective&#12301;
17yo rapper set to release his debut album on December 16th, really digging his sound. Pretty chill instrumental.
He was a participant during last year's Senkou Riot festival actually, pretty funny to see that he's making his major debut before the actual winner haha
Ooh. Thank you! Pretty cool. So much Shibuya. I recognized like everything haha.
I saw your Japanese comment :p

Top Bottom