• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

this has been making the rounds on tumblr and it's killing me. so much ether

I was surprised to see this with so many notes when I came across it.

"Splatoon×Perfume Splafume!"

CU5SVz-UkAAEJnp.png
https://twitter.com/mabuchiyo/status/670563930759131136

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Still loving the new Spangle Call Lilli Line as though it came out yesterday. Feels like just the right amount of groovy melancholy for how grey it's been outside lately. They've got quite a fleshed out discography to dig through, so I have some work ahead of me!

Kinoko Teikoku's latest has sadly already fallen out of rotation. After the initial excitement wore off, I felt it was missing something Eureka and even the stronger tracks on Fake World Wonderland had. The pop sound isn't bad, but I miss their old ferocity. Looks like Long Goodbye/Uzu ni Naru/Eureka won't be topped.

Kurita

New GOOD ON THE REEL is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2tFY7ynAJA

Kinoko Teikoku's latest has sadly already fallen out of rotation. After the initial excitement wore off, I felt it was missing something Eureka and even the stronger tracks on Fake World Wonderland had. The pop sound isn't bad, but I miss their old ferocity. Looks like Long Goodbye/Uzu ni Naru/Eureka won't be topped.

My only complaint about the album is that it doesn't have an hip-hopish song like Fake World Wonderland. Otherwise I think it's my favorite album by them, tied with Uzu Ni Naru. Songs like スカルプチャー, 35℃, 夏の夜の街, 桜が咲く前に... just give me goosebumps whenever I listen to them. Love it love it love it.

Hatis Noit will be performing on dommune in 45 minutes or so.

https://youtu.be/WcjzonLX0GU

e2: should actually be starting soon now. Hatis Noit, UN.a, Oyasumi Hologram

e3: over now

--

アーバンギャルド - 平成死亡遊戯 URBANGARDE - HEISEI SHIBOU YUGI

Voice:
あの(ゆるめるモ!)
伊藤麻希(LinQ)by the courtesy of WARNER MUSIC JAPAN INC.
はのはなよ
白石さくら
Pro Interviewer:吉田豪

Video all record:ターボ向後
Cast 1:黒宮れい
Cast 2:矢川葵 (Maison book girl)
Cast 3:羊戸ひなの (from 少女閣下のインターナショナル)

look at that lineup

If you're in the mood for something funky, I made a mix of some of my favorite vaguely 80s style J-pop from 2015. City pop, disco, techno kayo, new jack swing, etc.

Tracklist:
(((さらうんど))) - 乙zz姫 (Sleeping Beauty Part3)
サ上と中江 - Too Shy Boy
ORLAND - Trust Me!
さよならポニーテール - 放課後えすけいぷ
テンテンコ - Good bye,Good girl.
Negicco - 二人の遊戯
Sugar's Campaign - 有名な映画のようにラブリーな恋がしたい
Especia - Boogie Aroma
土岐麻子 - Kung Fu Girl
西恵利香 - MUSICを止めないで
バクステ外神田一丁目 - 甘い誘惑デインジャラス
東京女子流 - 加速度
Shiggy Jr. - サマータイムラブ
星野みちる - ちょっと SOMETHING NEW
ONIGAWARA - Darlin’
一十三十一 - カナリア気分で

I kind of remember not getting a ton of advance notice before Level 3 came out? maybe they'll just be like "boom, new album February" or whatever

Kurita

Announcing albums 2-3 months before their release is pretty much the norm so... We'll see. Honestly I expect them to announce the release date this month for a late February/early March release.

Tain

if the new album is stuff like Relax in the City and Star Train idk man

I mean I'll flip out regardless but Level 3 is a high bar for me.

llehuty

Announcing albums 2-3 months before their release is pretty much the norm so... We'll see. Honestly I expect them to announce the release date this month for a late February/early March release.

Shouldn't they release before that the Mercedes CF single?

Kansoku

Level 3 had weaker singles than this.

Yeah. Not only the singles, but the B-sides as well.

I hope we get 恋は前傾姿勢 and 透明人間 on the album (and maybe いじわるなハロー and DISPLAY as well).
I also hope they don't screw any song with a bad album version (I'm looking at you Spring of Life)

Kansoku

??
Level3 has the best b-sides in the history of Perfume imo
Handy Man, Point, Daijoubanai are nuts.

Communication is awful, Point is mediocre, Hurly Burly is okay, Handy Man and Dijoubanai are good.

So far only Hold Your Hand is weak. (Haven't heard Tokimeki Lights tho)

idk guys all I want atm is to hear Next Stage With You

The album could be something like this

Intro
Pick Me Up
Flash
(Album Track)
Tokimeki Lights
STAR TRAIN
Relax In The City
Koi wa Zenkei Shisei
Next Stage With You
STORY
(Album Track)
Sweet Refrain
(Album Track)

if the new album is stuff like Relax in the City and Star Train idk man

I mean I'll flip out regardless but Level 3 is a high bar for me.

Hey hey hey, let's not say things we can't take back ok

Kansoku

The album could be something like this

Intro
Pick Me Up
Flash
(Album Track)
Tokimeki Lights
STAR TRAIN
Relax In The City
Koi wa Zenkei Shisei
Next Stage With You
STORY
(Album Track)
Sweet Refrain
(Album Track)

Flash? What is that?

I would say something more like:

STORY
(new song)
Pick Me Up
Sweet Refrain
(new song)
Cling Cling
Toumei Ningen
Relax in the City
Koi wa Zenkei Shisei
(new song)
[some B-side (preferably DISPLAY or Ijiwaru na Hello)]
(new song)
Next Stage With You
STAR TRAIN

Kurita

indigo la End will release a new single on February 3rd! Yaay
Let's also wish an happy birthday to Kawatani who turned 27 today.

Kurita

You mean 心雨? I thouht it was going to be a split with Gesu.
Nah. They just announced at the same time that both songs would be used for a commercial but Gesu are including their track on their upcoming album (which was originally planned to be 16 songs long, now it's 17)

I need an album version of Display, that song has a lot of potential.

I doubt an album version would fix this song, only extend what's already too repetitive in the first place. I think this was the song that made me think that maybe having a commercial tie in for just about every Nakata single and b-side was maybe not the best approach. Before this I could always look forward to hearing the full song because Nakata's pretty much the best in the world at coming up with a catchy commercial jingle that also works as a chorus in an interesting full song that you wouldn't be able to predict based only on the 15 second snippet. But for Display, the commercial bit is pretty much all there is to the song. As much of a cliche it is at this point, it really seems to be true that Nakata has just gotten lazy. I mean that Hamada Bamyu Bamyu song was literally just a Pon Pon Pon remix with new lyrics. What is even the point?

Love it of course, and the video is a lot more professional and less awkward than their first one.

TRASH-UP!! is releasing another compilation album, this time with a Christmas theme featuring new songs from many current favorites. Pop-corn was my favorite compilation of the year so this should be good too.

As much of a cliche it is at this point, it really seems to be true that Nakata has just gotten lazy. I mean that Hamada Bamyu Bamyu song was literally just a Pon Pon Pon remix with new lyrics. What is even the point?

Perfume is kind of like the last beam holding up the building Nakata built, artistically. they're the only ones he doesn't seem to just 100% autopilot anymore, though he sure seems to be going that direction.

either way it's going to be real interesting to see what happens with this next album.

Kansoku

And I just realised I left out 'Cling Cling' from my tracklist, says a lot...

Yeah, yesterday I checked their discography page on Wikipedia to remember the B-sides of LEVEL3 and if it wasn't for the name appearing there, I would've completely forgotten too.

Kurita

Megaton of the morning, KANA-BOON announced the release of a new single in January and A NEW ALBUM the following month.
9th single - ランアンドラン - January 20th
01. ランアンドラン
02. I don't care

3rd album - Origin - February 17th
No tracklist yet but they announced that one of the limited editions is a two CDs package. I really wonder what will be on it... I secretly hope it's gonna some sort of compilation of their indie tracks that you can't find anymore but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Already pre-ordered it on Amazon anyway.

Slowdive

Banned
Phew - A New World / ニューワールド

I love the new album, so glad she's released something new. She's one of the reasons I'm so into Japanese music, for a while I listened to almost nothing but Japanese new wave/post-punk. I assume at least one of you here used to visit Voodoo vault and Habit of Sex etc? I miss them. I know they're still around, in a sense, but it's never been the same since Megaupload shut down, pretty much all the usual blogs just stopped.

Phew - A New World / ニューワールド

I love the new album, so glad she's released something new. She's one of the reasons I'm so into Japanese music, for a while I listened to almost nothing but Japanese new wave/post-punk. I assume at least one of you here used to visit Voodoo vault and Habit of Sex etc? I miss them. I know they're still around, in a sense, but it's never been the same since Megaupload shut down, pretty much all the usual blogs just stopped.

not those specific blogs but i used to follow so many experimental music blogs for sure. Phew showed up on one or two of them. new album is great.

all things considered, we probably have greater access to music now than we did back then but I really do kind of miss the "curated" aspect of following certain uploaders. there's not really much right now that matches that experience.

e: Momoclo dressed up as The Alfee is some good shit

COMVDyIU8AEdFVu.jpg

Talking of having greater access to music now, Flower's new song is uploaded to iTunes and I can't get it, it's taunting me.

I managed to buy something from Japanese iTunes once but forgot how (and just can't be bothered to go through it all again).

Top Bottom