• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

welp, looks like a Tricot LP is currently on its way through the global post system towards me, thanks for letting me know these were available!

no problem! I dunno the state of the Japanese vinyl market, but it seems kind of barren at the moment. When I saw that there was tricot vinyl obviously I had to jump on it. I still think it's amazing how productive tricot are operating their own label.

Bought PENs+ first album, RULES!, and it rules! Totally the kind of rock I dig and since they're almost as young as me I enjoy it even more :lol

so happy that someone picked up on these guys. They are on some next level stuff with their guitar playing. Melodic and hard-edged. I love the dual vocals too. Full length can't come soon enough. I would help with the last.fm thing but I don't have one. Might register just for the hell of it.

Infinite

Very excited to see which ones she's going to cover.

Hope at the very least she covers traveling and mesai.

btw do you want to submit an essential albums list?

So I made an Last.fm account, so add me there.

(And I flagged it Kurita :3)

added you :3

Can my Last.fm bros go here http://www.last.fm/music/+noredirect/PENs%2B, click on "Flag this" and say that PENs+ is the correct name? Thank you :3

It is done (I'll also check the band out since they're new to me)

Kurita

Thanks guys!

I added you Kansoku.

so happy that someone picked up on these guys. They are on some next level stuff with their guitar playing. Melodic and hard-edged. I love the dual vocals too. Full length can't come soon enough. I would help with the last.fm thing but I don't have one. Might register just for the hell of it.
Definitely looking forward to their new single next month!

Infinite

The PENs+ are cool but I'm really not feeling those vocals

EDIT: Added you mezzo. we should probably make a Japanese music gaf group there or something idk

Slowdive

Banned
New Mariko Goto album coming out on October 29th, on a new label too, she quit Sony because she was unhappy with the management.

Larsa

Maybe we can lose the second question about akb48 and Johnny's but you won't know if people like idol music if you didn't ask. I have friends who strictly listen to idol pop, utada ayumi etc. and they would be introduced to a lot more Japanese music by reading this thread.

Also here's the list I made in no particularly order just numbered them to see how many albums I had:
Essential Japanese Albums

1. Luminous Orange - Drop You Vivid Colors
Genre: shoegaze

2. Cornelius - Fantasma
Genre: Shibuya-kei

3. Number Girl - num heavy metallic
Genre: post-hardcore

4. Citrus - wispy no mercy
Genre: indie-pop

5. Sonic Coaster Pop - super miracle circuit
Genre: pico-pop

6. Bloodthirsty Butchers - Kocorono
Genre: punk

7. Sparta Locals - sun sun sun
Genre: post-new wave

8. Sheena Ringo - KZK
Genre: alternative

9. Zazen Boys - Zazen Boys 2
Genre: math rock

10. Shugo Takomura - port entropy
Genre: indie-pop

11. Pizzicato 5 - Made in USA

12. Jun togawa - tamahime sama
Genre: pop

13. Supercar - high vision
Genre: shoegazing

14. Towa tei - last century modern

15. Cowpers - lost

16. The Pillows - Happy Bivouac
Genre: alternative rock

17. Capsule - Fruit Clippers
Genre: electronic

18. Takako Minekawa - Fun 9
Genre: Shibuya-kei/Dream-pop

19. Melt Banana - Fetch
Genre: noise-rock

20. Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Genre: instrumental hip-hop

21. mass of the fermenting dregs - self titled LP

22. Perfume - Level 3
Genre: Electronic/pop

23. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
Genre: noise-rock

24. Boris - Akuma no Uta
Genre: metal/experimental

This is a pretty damn good list. I would maybe add:

Shinsei Kamattechan- Tsumanne
Genre: experimental/noise-pop

Tokyo Jihen - Adult
Genre: Rock/pop

Midori - Aratamemashite, hajimemashite Midori desu
Genre: Jazz-punk fusion

Rin Toshite Shigure - Still a Sigure Virgin?
Genre: Rock/post-hardcore

Coaltar of the Deepers - No Thank You
Genre: Shoegaze

Soutaisei Riron - Synchroniciteen
Genre. Pop

Hirasawa Susumu - Philosopher's Propeller
Genre: Electronic

Just some personal picks.

lupinko

I don't post or read this thread ever, but Ram wire will be performing at my work next month since it was one of the affected areas in the 2011 Tsunami.

I mainly know them from their collabs with Juju.

This move to Japan has been good for me, got to see Juju earlier in the year, I saw all of Beni's live streams at normal times and I saw Robert Glasper perform on Monday night.

Ok the last one isn't J-music but like ram wire it was also sorta related to work since I got awesome seats at a discounted price from a former supervisor. Ram wire will be free tho.

Shiina

I think Shiina Ringo's KZK was named more than once but I felt like suggesting the ☆legendary☆ Shouso Strip (even though it may not be a good representation of her music nowadays;︿;)

Kurita suggested 9mm Parabellum Bullet's Termination. I'd like to add Dawning to that, as that was the album that got me into the band.

Some other albums/bands:

Negoto - EX Negoto or ZOOM
school food punishment - Amp-reflection
Maron Hamada - Furyo Shoujo Elegy
Wakusei Abnormal - Nandemonai Kyouki
THE NOVEMBERS - zeitgeist

Also I haven't seen much hip-hop suggested so maybe Buddha Brand or Shing02?

tatsuki

Seems pretty cool. I watched their first dome concert and while good, thought they could do a little bit more and it seems they have.
They definitely have this time around. It looked like it was good fun from all the photos that have been posted the past few days. Although I prefer watching the making of parts of these concerts. I'll be checking out the concert as well when this one releases.

Here are some photos from the final night which just ended an hour ago.

td30.jpg
td32.jpg

td34.jpg
td31.jpg

td35.jpg
td36.jpg

I was able to catch the last few songs and than the encore+talk to the crowd from the few people who had audio streams up. Kojima and others talked to the crowd. None of them announced any graduations which is good. Although I can't imagine they would want to dampen their fans experience at the very end of the show like that. I imagine it will come at some point by the end of the year for Kojima.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. (After Tokyo Dome Concert)
Yasushi Akimoto + Watanabe Mayu

Really digging GOLIATH's new mini-album, MOUNTAIN ASH. If you don't know them they're some kind of superband with guys from ART-SCHOOL, FOX LOCO PHANTOM... This disc was supposed to only be sold during live events but they released it on iTunes so that's pretty cool of them. Their music is a bit dark but not too much and they have their fair share of less depressing tracks. Well this one mostly has slow-paced songs but I love this kind of creepy (maybe ominous?) atmosphere they created.
Pretty solid release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJ-UJV8rzI

Art-School you say... well im interested, thanks for the heads up.

Infinite

Good question. I'm not that into Japanese hip-hop but there seemed to be a lack of it in the essentials mentions so far. Maybe someone more versed in it can answer it or give a suggestion of their own?

I'm not well verse in Japanese hip-hop either. Only follow producers.

I guess I'll start posting and stop lurking. Hello, j-music gaf.

• What country do you currently call home? USA
  • What got you into Japanese music? Namie Amuro's Can You Celebrate got me into JPOP. It was the second Japanese song I ever heard, first being the SM theme.
  • Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound? I understand the simple pop songs.
  • Favorite artist? Takui Nakajima
  • Favorite album? This is an impossible question.
  • Favorite genre(s)? All? I go through moods and once I tire of a genre I rotate to the next one.
  • What's in your current playlist? Charisma.com, Scandal, Takui Nakajima, Base Ball Bear, the entirety of Hello!Project, CNBLUE, Namie Amuro, Momoiro Clover, Babymetal...obviously I am in an idol mood. (But not AKB hur)
  • Who's your favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran? Namie Amuro, obviously. If Utada still made music I'd still love her too. Bless Ayumi's heart, poor thing. She tries.
  • Favorite new artist of the past 2 yrs? Charisma. com
  • Best Perfume member? Yuka because I am eternally jealous of her hair.
  • What's your favorite group idol group and member? Morning Musume's Sayumi. I've listened to MM since their debut in my teenage days. I'll always have a soft spot for them.
  • Thoughts on AKB48 and Johnny's Entertainment? Idols, idols everywhere! I used to listen to SMAP and Arashi back in the day. I am impressed the fans of AKB and its sister groups can keep up with the member roster.
  • Rank Yasutaka Nakata's music projects from best to worse? Perfume>*
  • Aside from Boa, how do you feel about Kpop artist in the Japanese market? Why is this a question? Sorry man, it reminds me of stupid 2ch BS.

Infinite

Thanks from answering the questions!

I actually updated the list of questions a page back here's the new one

What country you're from?

What got you into Japanese music? If it was an anime opening/ending, a song in a video game, etc let us know

Do you also understand the lyrics or just listen for sound?

Favorite artist?

What's your favorite Japanese band?

Favorite album?

Favorite genre(s)?

Favorite Album art?

Who's you favorite Japanese pop Diva/Veteran i.e. Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro etc.

What's your favorite idol group and member?

Are there any non-Japanese artists/bands you're interested in finding Japanese parallels to?

What's in your current playlist?

Do you have a last.fm and mind sharing it?

Favorite New Artist of the past 2 yrs?

Recent up and comers you think we should be on the look out for?

Best perfume member?

Rank Nakata's music projects from best to worse

I actually dropped the Kpop question but the question isn't what you think it is. It's not asking you what you think is better between jpop and kpop. It's simply asking what you think of kpop offerings in the Japanese market. I cut the question because not a lot of people had opinions on it.

that's pretty neat. Guess that's on my hitlist now too haha. Speaking of tricot oddities, and this may already be common knowledge, on the 2CD version of the bakyuun EP they covered this song. It seems like one of those really old school popular singles but I have no idea where it's from actually.

regarding that new KT, I like it as well but yeah I need some more reverb and distortion.

Shiina

Kikirin

Any recommendations for internet radio stations, preferably playing relatively modern stuff? I've been out of the J-music stuff since mid-2000, so I'm not sure who / what's popular these days.

Kurita

Been into シナリオアート (Scenarioart) lately. I discovered them back in January when they made their major debut but didn't really like the one extract I listened to at that time. Big mistake, now that I've listened to the two mini-albums they've released I'm loving it.
There are two vocalists, one girl and one guy, their music is quite dreamy and it feels like you're travelling on the Moon/in space when you listen to some of their songs. I know I feel transported. They have a new mini-album coming next month, I guess I'll buy it if I have some money available.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_d3xPdhQ0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKzcf-J53A

Good question. I'm not that into Japanese hip-hop but there seemed to be a lack of it in the essentials mentions so far. Maybe someone more versed in it can answer it or give a suggestion of their own?

Hm, certain artists I like, Teriyaki Boyz, m-flo, KICK THE CAN CREW, AI, NERDHEAD.

Kansoku

Been into シナリオアート (Scenarioart) lately. I discovered them back in January when they made their major debut but didn't really like the one extract I listened to at that time. Big mistake, now that I've listened to the two mini-albums they've released I'm loving it.
There are two vocalists, one girl and one guy, their music is quite dreamy and it feels like you're travelling on the Moon/in space when you listen to some of their songs. I know I feel transported. They have a new mini-album coming next month, I guess I'll buy it if I have some money available.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_d3xPdhQ0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKzcf-J53A

That's pretty nice. From your description I was thinking it was going to be some moumoon or Uchuu Conbini (without the math part) type of music, but it's much better than I expected.

BluWacky

I bought the latest Sakanaction BD this week (down to about £20 on Amazon thanks to a defect that puts some of the special features out of sync - I can't say I really noticed that much).

I mostly bought it for the remix of Ame (B), although only the second half of that is really particularly good and I swear they mess up some of the chords sometimes... everything else sounds amazingly like the albums, save perhaps the end of Music when they switch back to instruments (it sounds great, incidentally). I enjoyed Eureka more here than I do in isolation, too.

They're not the most exciting of live bands in many ways - there's no MC moments, they're pretty much rooted behind their mics and the only time Yamaguchi cracks a smile is when I think some people in the front row start doing the dance moves from the video from Bach no Senritsu - but the sound is pretty great and the songs are classics. I would have liked Boku to Hana on the setlist too but you can't have everything, I should probably just buy last year's tour disc for that one...

Kurita

Yeah, interaction with the crowd is something Sakanaction lacks a bit. I'm sure they're nice people but they seem cold during concerts :lol

http://31.media.tumblr.com/b2fbac213fcfea028c5d12db45fc5155/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o1_250.gif[/IMG] http://37.media.tumblr.com/f594bb431a9b0a07c686494c55dcbf48/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o5_250.gif[/IMG]
http://38.media.tumblr.com/72db65cfaf2041f474145e8df4b814bb/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o2_250.gif[/IMG] http://37.media.tumblr.com/47455ae7e4f6b936c54caeef571a9f01/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o4_250.gif[/IMG]
http://37.media.tumblr.com/86ba68cd49c530a362039953fe2c5ee3/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o6_250.gif[/IMG] http://31.media.tumblr.com/adb04c5543f2e377c9fd1073ce581147/tumblr_naq1duJX2x1rc83u9o3_250.gif[/IMG]

EDIT: might as well add the source, bit older video but still super fun, http://vk.com/video16787656_168694520

I loved this one, (Becky putting mints lmao). There's also Nocchi dropping the jenga

tumblr_napw7hX3xy1rc83u9o2_250.gif

140823_09_zps2dbe6688.png

宇宙コンビニ - 染まる音を確認したら
uchuu conbini's first mini album. This song is a guitarist's dream.

140823_10_zps452587f9.png

宇宙コンビニ - 月の反射でみてた
very good second mini album.

140823_01_zps0a9ee6a7.png

aquarifa - sprout
third demo and final release with their original vocalist, Arry. She has striking similarities to Chiaki of chouchou merged syrups. I actually assumed they were the same person at first based on the timelines of each band. Interestingly, the band recognizes this as a demo but yet it is offered by Amazon Japan.

140823_02_zps6b0ff617.png

aquarifa - scene
enter the new vocalist/guitarist Machi and the first official mini album. This is my favorite release of theirs. Keeps the indie-er feel of the early stuff.

140823_03_zps111f1baa.png

aquarifa - 月明かりのせいにして
Machi is cute.

140823_04_zps023534c8.png

硝子越しの暴走 - 22 years old e.p.
Garasu Goshi no Bousou. First EP limited to 70 copies, offered by disk union. I really like this band! Totally taking cues from Number Girl here. I hope they get big.

140823_05_zps3b0ae4b8.png

硝子越しの暴走 - musiQua
first full album released earlier this year.

140823_06_zpsd356f6c4.png

chouchou merged syrups - chouchou merged syrups demo
I really would love to know what they're trying to get at with the name chouchou merged syrups.

140823_07_zpsb23f6b7b.png

chouchou merged syrups - since
more guitars, more GRILLZ. Hail Zankyo.

140823_08_zpsa396904a.png

chouchou merged syrups - clepsydra
second album, another great one.

MezzoForte, where do you get those nifty plastic sleeves for your jewel cases?

ebay! I can't say I've used many brands for comparison, but these do me just fine. These things are basically a necessity for any Japanese CD because of the obi strips. They really do make each CD a little prettier somehow haha.

Rooster12

Not quite essentials but here are my favorite Japanese Hip-Hop releases from 2013 (long list):

Kojoe - 51st State (I'd say this one is essential)

Rev Tape Vol. 2

Norikiyo - 花水木

Midicronica 716 - Anome

Mikris - 6 Coffin

Cenju x QRoix - Thank God It's Flyday!

OHLD x SALU - Bis2

ALT - Amazon (essential)

Daoko - Gravity (essential)

泉まくら (Izumi Makura) - My Room My Stage (essential)

072 - Sol Terra Three

Dyypride- Ride So Dyyp

Vito - 絶望の館 The Hall of Despair

甘葉 - Secret Paradise

観音クリエーション (Kannon Creation) - うたかた

Shing02 x DJ $hin - 1200 Ways

Primal - Proletariat

Fla$hbacks - Fl$8ks

Kid Fresino - Horseman's Scheme

Mantis - On the Corner

HELLO!!! Vol. 6

符和 vs Yoshiaki Nagami - 婬ト杳