• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Jones and Samantha Bee leaving the Daily Show, developing comedy series for TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://time.com/3720679/daily-show-jon-stewart-replacement-jason-jones-samantha-bee/

The blows keep coming for Comedy Central in the quest to find a new host for The Daily Show: Longtime show correspondents Jason Jones and Samantha Bee are headed to TBS. The network has picked up an untitled comedy series executive-produced by the married pair and starring Jones as a dad taking his family on a road trip.

The sitcom itself is less important than what it augurs for Comedy Central, which has recently seen several Daily Show stars unwilling or unable to take over the powerful nightly franchise. Jessica Williams took herself out of contention to replace Jon Stewart; Stephen Colbert left for CBS, where he’s to replace David Letterman, before Stewart announced his own departure; John Oliver’s contract at HBO was just renewed, while Larry Wilmore’s show is still establishing itself in Comedy Central’s 11:30 p.m. timeslot.

Maybe it's time to pull the plug, except that The Daily Show is such a recognizable brand that Comedy Central will probably milk it to death with inadequate replacements (speaking of Jon Stewart's departure as well). Prove me wrong CC.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Maintaining the show after Stewart is going to be a very hard task, but I really hope they manage to pull it off.

Did something happen at CC that's making them all feel it's time to leave?

Then again, they've been there forever. It's a good idea to give a new generation a chance. I hope it works out for everyone involved.

Then again, they've been there forever. It's a good idea to give a new generation a chance. I hope it works out for everyone involved.

I'd imagine it's just kind of a grueling production schedule and eventually wears people out.

I'd imagine it's just kind of a grueling production schedule and eventually wears people out.

Yeah, most likely. And a lot of them have been there for a long time. They probably want to move on to new things. I'm really not too upset about it. I'm more sad about losing Jones than Bee. The Daily Show was going to need new people eventually, though. I hope it can make it through.

A huge loss, especially coming off Stewart leaving too.

I am interesting to see where TDS goes next, this could be the perfect time to overhaul the formula and aim for something entirely different. Maybe drop the interviews with guests towards the end altogether, put more emphasis on the news segments with a more detailed look at each story?

Sounds too much like Last Week Tonight, but it's not a bad idea...

hm

I thought they could keep TDS going at its current standards if they got Jason in charge. Now I don't know if it can survive with all three of them gone.

Dr.Acula

Banned

If you're on a huge hit show and the host is leaving or at least restless, do you jump at the highpoint, or do you wait until it's too late and the offers dry up.

Sam Bee and Jason Jones were probably always looking around for side gigs, but now they can say, "sign us for your sitcom today or we're possibly going to be hosts of TDS and out of your reach forever."

A huge loss, especially coming off Stewart leaving too.

I am interesting to see where TDS goes next, this could be the perfect time to overhaul the formula and aim for something entirely different. Maybe drop the interviews with guests towards the end altogether, put more emphasis on the news segments with a more detailed look at each story?

Sounds too much like Last Week Tonight, but it's not a bad idea...

They'll never lose the interviews. That's 8 minutes an episode that they don't have to write.

nictron

54618440.jpg

Does anyone have his phone number?

Penguin

On the bright side, it kind of makes it easier for TDS to become something new without Stewart, but yeah gonna be weird to see Comedy Central in a year.

collige

Banned
Oh, I was just assuming the show was gonna end once Stewart left. I totally forgot that there was a host before him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My guess is CC is going to be looking externally for a replacement because I can't think of anybody who can claim the crown internally now.

My guess is CC is going to be looking externally for a replacement because I can't think of anybody who can claim the crown internally now.

I don't think they were likely going to take over anyway. They had an episode they hosted earlier in the year that was received poorly. CC gave them a shot, and they failed.

I do agree that CC will pick externally, though.

Whoever they get to replace Stewart, I hope he/she (preferably she) is more activist-minded than Stewart—more in line with Oliver.

Stewart is good at skewering the media and the right, but I don't think he has ever been particularly great at getting people to mobilize in support of or in opposition to an issue.

You look at what Oliver accomplished with the FCC and I can't think of anything Stewart has done that compares.

They'll never lose the interviews. That's 8 minutes an episode that they don't have to write.

True, but with everyone seemingly leaving, this would be the time to shake things up and try to go in a different direction.

Not sure people will stick around for the same formula with someone less witty and engaging than Stewart at the helm and I hope they realise this.

vikki

It's going to be an outsider. It has to be. It's going to be quite the task for the new crew to create a new identity for this show. I don't think the show can last by imitating Jon Stewart's Daily Show.

gogosox82

Oh, I was just assuming the show was gonna end once Stewart left. I totally forgot that there was a host before him.

Craig Kilborn. Though I think it was more of a talk show and less political then. Maybe they should think about killing it and making something else since no one seems to want the job. It was going to be really hard to replace Stewart anyway.

kirblar

Seems like the new TDS will be less of a passing the reigns moment and more of a reinvention. Probably a necessity, given that Oliver's show exists.

Silexx

This isn't surprising as Jason and Sam have had numerous projects they've been trying to get off the ground for years while still working at The Daily Show.

Glad to see they've been picked up and hope it works out well for them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The only answer is Ben Wyatt. No, not Adam Scott; he needs to do in in-character as his Parks and Recreation character for 20 years.

Gorillaz

jumping off of TDS ship onto making a original show for TBS?

TBS?

I guess we all gotta start somewhere, even if it is a station that is the embodiment of nothing

Silexx

Craig Kilborn. Though I think it was more of a talk show and less political then. Maybe they should think about killing it and making something else since no one seems to want the job. It was going to be really hard to replace Stewart anyway.

Where are you getting that no one wants the job? You're making quite the leap here.

Whoever they get to replace Stewart, I hope he/she (preferably she) is more activist-minded than Stewart—more in line with Oliver.

Stewart is good at skewering the media and the right, but I don't think he has ever been particularly great at getting people to mobilize in support of or in opposition to an issue.

You look at what Oliver accomplished with the FCC and I can't think of anything Stewart has done that compares.

This is a good point. The Daily Show has made cable news and empty political rhetoric its primary target for quite some time. John Oliver is doing a phenomenal job tackling corruption and hypocrisy outside of the media. If the new host moves the show away from the incompetence of cable news it may risk looking like a more reactive and more shallow version of Last Week Tonight.

On one hand, it's hard to imagine this show without Stewart. On the other, I've been a fan of TDS since Craig Kilborn was the host and I wasn't sure how that transition was going to work. On the other other hand, Stewart's run of TDS has been long enough to shape it in to a very specific entity and it kind of needs to retain that to still be called The Daily Show.

Either way, I imagine Republican politicians are rejoicing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This is good news, if only because it should keep both of them far away from that host chair at the end of the year.

Give it to Jessica Williams, Jon. She'll do you proud.

Fox Mulder

Dead.

The replacement for the Colbert report sucks and I'm sure these guys want to ride their current status to do their own thing instead of following in Stewart's shadow.

Sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom