• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Jones and Samantha Bee leaving the Daily Show, developing comedy series for TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Dead.

The replacement for the Colbert report sucksy.

Ehh I wouldn't say that. It's a very different show, and the panel platform is something that neither TDS or Colbert ever really dove into, so it's an interesting addition to Comedy Central faux-news late night.

gogosox82

Where are you getting that no one wants the job? You're making quite the leap here.

Oliver turned it down, Jessica Williams turned it down, Jason Jones and Samantha Bee are leaving (either they turned it down or they don't want them to host), Colbert's a no go. Just seems like people don't want the job for whatever reason. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's what it looks like when all these people who would be good fits for the show turn down the offer.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I have good faith that intern Jimmy will make a great host.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They can get the Egyptian dude who got forced off the air in Egypt maybe. He was practically doing the daily show there

This is probably pointing to a bit of a redesign/reshaping of the show. I'd imagine he tipped people off awhile ago, and Jones/Bee probably felt free to start shopping stuff around in the meantime

I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central had an idea of who they wanted and what direction they're trying to take this show before Stewart ever made his announcement.

Ultima_5

I always thought a 60 minutes style show would be excellent to compliment TDS. Maybe now is the time! an hour long show which features 5-10 minutes news stories with a sense of humor. Maybe get a group of people and have one or two do each segment. I don't think they'll ever be able to replace Jon, but a handful of comedians from different walks of life could work

Ultima_5

Whoever they get to replace Stewart, I hope he/she (preferably she) is more activist-minded than Stewart—more in line with Oliver.

Stewart is good at skewering the media and the right, but I don't think he has ever been particularly great at getting people to mobilize in support of or in opposition to an issue.

You look at what Oliver accomplished with the FCC and I can't think of anything Stewart has done that compares.

That might be more of a generational thing. I really dig the stuff john oliver is doing, but like stewart said, he's been doing the show for almost two decades. The foundation of the show and the established audience are from a different era.

Fox Mulder

It's really unfortunate timing as there's no doubt that John Oliver would have been the rightful heir.

Worked out for the best since he evolved the concept for the better. Being a weekly show lets his team do more in depth and impactful pieces and they don't have the celeb interview shit.

Oriel

Not much hope left for the show. Maybe it's time to rejig the format somewhat, dump the correspondents and interviews. They were never really that good anyway.

Clydefrog

An original comedy series on TBS? Really?

Americanadians! A show about a couple from Canada trying to make it in America. Hilarity and social issues abound as they attempt to gain citizenship!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This isn't surprising at all. They've been selling sitcom scripts for years, one just finally got picked up for series. It was going to happen sooner or later. I see someone already brought it up:
This isn't surprising as Jason and Sam have had numerous projects they've been trying to get off the ground for years while still working at The Daily Show.

Glad to see they've been picked up and hope it works out well for them.
Also, Jones was pretty bad in that one episode he guest hosted, and his interview was borderline hostile despite it being with colleague Wyatt Cenac.

genjiZERO

That might be more of a generational thing. I really dig the stuff john oliver is doing, but like stewart said, he's been doing the show for almost two decades. The foundation of the show and the established audience are from a different era.

I think it's more of an issue of Last Week Tonight being a once a week thing with no guests. It gives them more time to focus on more in-depth issues. The Daily Show can't do this because of it's format.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They'll just have to reboot it like when Craig Killborn left. Sadly I can't see it ever grabbing the same audience Stewart and friends did. I wish them luck though. 2013-2015 are the years every single nighttime talk show completely rebooted themselves. It all depends on the host.

Fury451

Banned
It almost seems like quietly ending it might be the best approach. It's never going to be the same without Jon Stewart anyways, losing extra talent just drives that home.

Zodzilla

If the producers are the same, I'm also cautiously optimistic that they'd be able to find some sort of replacements and hopefully carry the torch at least a little. People expecting the same show will be disappointed, but that doesn't mean they can't put out a good show.

Then again, that's not a guarantee that we'll actually get a good show. Odds are stacked heavily against them and 10+ years of quality chemistry and familiarity will be hard to compete with.

Fury451

Banned
Russel Brand is liberal and funny enough for the job.

In Before GAF rage

He's too grating to have broad appeal. And is not about just being liberal, it's about likability, intellect, and professionalism.

Brand is a smart guy, but I'm not sure he's got the other two.

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn. While I wasn't really confident that either of them would be great fits for filling in the hosting role, I'm sad that they're leaving, as they were both absolutely hilarious in their own right. Hope TBS works out for them.

I really hope CC gets some game plan together though. Some big shoes to fill here.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone mentioning Craig Kilborn is talking about the wrong Craig.

GTY_Craig_Ferguson_140429_DG_16x9_992.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In my opinion Stewart worked so well because you could almost see him as an actual news anchor. I'm not sure Brand could give off that same vibe.

Stewart worked so well because you could often sense the actual anger seething (not so) just below the surface. I'm not sure who else could replace that

That's the thing about Jon Stewart. He's not exactly exceptionally funny. I mean, he can be pretty damn funny, but him cracking jokes isn't why the show works in a way that others don't. The fact that he actually really cares about this stuff is very evident.

Oriel

Russel Brand is liberal and funny enough for the job.

In Before GAF rage

Brand would last a few weeks before saying something incredibly stupid (like that time on Johnathan Ross's BBC radio show a few years back) and be sacked. The guy is also a notorious moonbat!

Silexx

Oliver turned it down, Jessica Williams turned it down, Jason Jones and Samantha Bee are leaving (either they turned it down or they don't want them to host), Colbert's a no go. Just seems like people don't want the job for whatever reason. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's what it looks like when all these people who would be good fits for the show turn down the offer.

I you are reading too much into it. Oliver was never offered the position. I don't even think there's been any kind of active search to replace Jon since he still hasn't really said when he's leaving.

Like I said, Sam and Jason have been floating projects for years now and they finally got something picked up. I don't think hosting TDS was in either of their long term plans.

One thing to remember is that Jon has said that one of things he tried to achieve during his tenure was to turn the show into a well-refined process that could eventually become self-sufficient without him. I don't think he'll be leaving the show in bad shape at all.

Damn I was hoping those two would take over and do a co-hosted Daily Show. At this point they might as well just end the show after Stewart leaves. That or somehow pry Oliver back.

Ferrio

Banned
At what point did Daily Show become mainly political? I remember in the Kilborn days it pretty much was a standard news parody show. Think it even stayed awhile like that when Jon took over, not sure when it went from "Hey this guy makes teeth outta rocks" to "Look what our fucking president said".

Oh that was it wasn't it... Bush..

At what point did Daily Show become mainly political? I remember in the Kilborn days it pretty much was a standard news parody show. Think it even stayed awhile like that when Jon took over, not sure when it went from "Hey this guy makes teeth outta rocks" to "Look what our fucking president said".

Pretty much. Stewart himself claims that the show found it's voice with the 2000 recount.

Silexx

Jon took over the show with the intent of making it something with a main focus on the media and US politics. The George Bush presidency and the subsequent Iraq war provided the perfect cultural climate for the show to take off.

Afrodium

Banned
My guess is that they were hoping to replace Jon and the powers that be have said 'no' or the writing is on the wall that they're not getting the gig. I'm not a huge Jones or Bee fan, so I'm not sad that they're leaving the show, but I can understand why they would expect to have a chance at hosting given how long they've been there.

My guess is that they were hoping to replace Jon and the powers that be have said 'no' or the writing is on the wall that they're not getting the gig. I'm not a huge Jones or Bee fan, so I'm not sad that they're leaving the show, but I can understand why they would expect to have a chance at hosting given how long they've been there.

Ehh. They've probably been pitching this show to TBS (and possibly other places) for a lot longer than Stewart made it known backstage that he was leaving. Those things don't usually happen from inception to development deal in a couple weeks.

Hasney

Shame Jessica turned it down, that could have been interesting. Can't blame her though, being on every episode must be hell schedule wise.

Glad to hear Sam Bee is staying though. Not sure if she'd make a good host or not, but I like her segments.

Silexx

I know this may be just arguing semantics, but no one turned down or passed on replacing Jon because no one has been (publicly) offered the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom