• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Jones and Samantha Bee leaving the Daily Show, developing comedy series for TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe it's time to pull the plug, except that The Daily Show is such a recognizable brand that Comedy Central will probably milk it to death with inadequate replacements (speaking of Jon Stewart's departure as well). Prove me wrong CC.

They did air the lost Dave Chappelle Episodes. And put Charlie Murphy on there to host with that other guy.

massoluk

Banned
Hm.. Won't miss Samantha Bee, losing Jason Jones on the other hand...

Man, I hope Comedy Central has a good back up plan.

Tom_Cody

I know this may be just arguing semantics, but no one turned down or passed on replacing Jon because no one has been (publicly) offered the position.
For sure. None of the existing cast members being discussed in this thread ever would have been offered the job.

Viacom needs someone who can be the face of the network in order to keep their carriage fees up. This is why their stock dropped so much when Stuart announced he was leaving. Think bigger. Chris Rock, Neil Patrick Harris, Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin. Or possibly an established comic in a position similar to Stuart when he took over the show. Someone like Bill Burr. None of the current cast members would be capable of carrying the network in the way that Stuart/Colbert have.

Tom_Cody

I'm 100% willing to bet that Jon will have large sway in who follows him.
I'm about 50/50 on this.

I could see him wanting to stay on as an executive producer and work to set up a successor, but I could also see him simply leaving it up to the executives at Comedy Central and going on with his life.

I think it also largely depends on what he is doing next. IIRC he said he is planning to leave as early as July. If he actually does end up leaving that soon, that would in no way be the best circumstance for setting up a strong replacement.

Ocaso

For sure. None of the existing cast members being discussed in this thread ever would have been offered the job.

Viacom needs someone who can be the face of the network in order to keep their carriage fees up. This is why their stock dropped so much when Stuart announced he was leaving. Think bigger. Chris Rock, Neil Patrick Harris, Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin. Or possibly an established comic in a position similar to Stuart when he took over the show. Someone like Bill Burr. None of the current cast members would be capable of carrying the network in the way that Stuart/Colbert have.

The one thing that any replacement really needs is to be politically motivated. Obviously they'll need to be funny, but a charismatic frontman that simply reads other people's jokes is doomed to fail. I can think of no one better than Patton Oswalt. I'm surprised he's not being mentioned more often.

Ultima_5

The one thing that any replacement really needs is to be politically motivated. Obviously they'll need to be funny, but a charismatic frontman that simply reads other people's jokes is doomed to fail. I can think of no one better than Patton Oswalt. I'm surprised he's not being mentioned more often.

is oswalt particularly political?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did something happen at CC that's making them all feel it's time to leave?

Then again, they've been there forever. It's a good idea to give a new generation a chance. I hope it works out for everyone involved.

My guess is that CC told them outright that they would not be getting the host job, and they would rather move on than stay in the same position on The Daily Show.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Zach Galifankis is actually quite political (and usually very funny, there's a lot out there that isn't the Hangover movies), but he isn't really a good fit for TDS.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The more I think about it, the more I'd love Amy Poehler as host. Just don't know if she wants it.

Her taking over the same year that Hillary wins the presidency would just be too on the nose for the world's Lizard Illuminati overlords. They need to at least present some plausible deniability.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Totally agree, though not sure Oswalt has the personality to carry the show or draw in people despite my love for him. Being funny is important but I think being politically savvy and able to actually have a discussion and conversation with all the major figures that come on the show and really get to the heart of an issue and why it's important as well as humorous is more important.

Ocaso

is oswalt particularly political?

He had some material on his political inclination in one of his recorded specials during the Bush era, but I admit that's not much and certainly not more than myriads of other comics. That said Oswalt is undoubtedly smart, eloquent, and I suspect more inclined towards incisive political analysis than many other potential replacements. I suspect he simply hasn't had that specific outlet yet. You wouldn't have known this aspect of Stewart's personality either from his stand up if I recall.

Totally agree, though not sure Oswalt has the personality to carry the show or draw in people despite my love for him. Being funny is important but I think being politically savvy and able to actually have a discussion and conversation with all the major figures that come on the show and really get to the heart of an issue and why it's important as well as humorous is more important.

Well, he certainly doesn't have news anchor looks, but I think he's still charismatic enough to pull it off.

Jonm1010

Banned

This gets to the heart of why I think it will be hard replacing Stewart. And why I think Jessica Williams, Jason Jones, Samantha Bee and even John Oliver to an extent aren't up to snuff to do it.

That is unless the show takes a decidedly different turn when Stewart leaves but that could risk losing what makes the show so culturally and politically relevant.

Heck Stewart wasn't even Stewart when he started. But now the show is needing someone to come in and do what Stewart himself couldn't of even done when he started and that is replace his peak(or near peak depending who you ask) form.

Frankly Colbert was the one person that had everything you could ever want(the intelligence, personality, humor, self awareness, debate skills and passion) and maybe even a little more, but he is wanting to go the prime-time route so, yeah, I really have no clue who can fill the role.

Ultima_5

He had some material on his political inclination in one of his recorded specials during the Bush era, but I admit that's not much and certainly not more than myriads of other comics. That said Oswalt is undoubtedly smart, eloquent, and I suspect more inclined towards incisive political analysis than many other potential replacements. I suspect he simply hasn't had that specific outlet yet. You wouldn't have known this aspect of Stewart's personality either from his stand up if I recall.

Well, he certainly doesn't have news anchor looks, but I think he's still charismatic enough to pull it off.

I dont know. he was always pretty political:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwGrPburP0

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've watched TDS religiously every night it's on for over a decade. Correspondents come and go. I posted this last night in the TDS thread but now that I have more time to think about it I don't think anything is 'going on' over at Viacom and Comedy Central.

Jason and Sam Bee have been on the show an eternity. I'll miss them but it's probably past due for them to move on. I guess it just sting a little extra because the show I know and love is going to be in for some dramatic changes.

I'm 100% willing to bet that Jon will have large sway in who follows him.

Well he's likely still going to EP so yea.

My guess is that CC told them outright that they would not be getting the host job, and they would rather move on than stay in the same position on The Daily Show.

Planning a TV show for a major cable network takes time. If I had to guess the wheels were already in motion well before Jon announced he was leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom