• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier about PS5:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wasn't expecting this level of BC in reality, but I'm going to be sad when the rumor finally gets killed off. I would have loved something that plays all my old PS games from PS1 onward.

This would really put me off getting one any time soon. I really want to be able to consolidate my digital libraries onto one machine, rather than having 3 under my TV by the end of the year.

I can't think of a good reason in 2020 why a PS5 couldn't play PS1 games. It's ridiculous.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
This would really put me off getting one any time soon. I really want to be able to consolidate my digital libraries onto one machine, rather than having 3 under my TV by the end of the year.

I can't think of a good reason in 2020 why a PS5 couldn't play PS1 games. It's ridiculous.
Much like your audio CDs, sony wants to resell you stuff digitally.

TheMan

well, disheartening to hear about the power difference. I still think PS will have the upper hand in terms of exclusive, but 3rd party games still make up the bulk of console libraries and it's looking like xbox may have the upper hand here, easily. Prove me wrong Cerny.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I tried to educate people on that, even did a transcription of the blog. They wouldn't listen. It was only his belief at the time, no insider knowledge. But I'm almost certain that after his "I don't now PS5 Teraflops" tweet yesterday somebody told him the number, otherwise why would he say he doesn't know one day and the next be certain that the number is disappointing?

ethomaz

Banned
I tried to educate people on that, even did a transcription of the blog. They wouldn't listen. It was only his belief at the time, no insider knowledge. But I'm almost certain that after his "I don't now PS5 Teraflops" tweet yesterday somebody told him the number, otherwise why would he say he doesn't know one day and the next be certain that the number is disappointing?
Are you not reading?

He said now few minutes ago that what he said before is still true.
PS5 is around 11 TFs close to Xbox.

"but regardless, as far as I know that remains the case"

He is saying that people that are expecting 13TFs will be disapointed.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Well it seems that a gap is gap, and the xsx could be twice as fast as the ps5.
We will see in about 2 hours, I don't like this guy's personality but because he acts like a rat he would know the specs.
It's one of the reason he alone get scoops that no one else does, the shitbag is well connected, likable or not.

Nothing is proven until Cerny gets up on that stage and starts reeling off the numbers. Let's exercise some caution here, GAF. I know Jason is well connected and whatnot, but it's all still speculation.

Hardly be the end of the world if Sony produce a less powerful box.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So we're skipping the one where this no talent ass clown shits on the board that prays to him daily?

Chiko_Tech

Neo Member
If they show a basic ps5 don't expect a console as powerful as a premium one on the X. If they manage to make a Pro version then things could change, but expecting a monster like the X. I don't think so.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars

I’m rock hard. 😆
61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

Last edited:

Arun1910

Comparing flops is like comparing dick size. Bigger doesn't mean better.

As a PC owner and a PS4 Pro owner, I honestly do not care if the PS5 has a couple less "flops".

Gamers should be focused on quality of games (and also know raw GPU power means nothing, looking at you PS3).

If you enjoy PS exclusives like me, you won't look at numbers as the holy "be all end all". MS can have all the raw GPU power in the world but I still personally think MS exclusives are not as good as PS exclusives.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This guy is all over the place. As I said in the other thread...

Complains about console warriors, fans the flames of discord. So much hubris, and lack of self awareness. Common for those pedestal ideological types.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

As a PC owner and a PS4 Pro owner, I honestly do not care if the PS5 has a couple less "flops".

Gamers should be focused on quality of games (and also know raw GPU power means nothing, looking at you PS3).

If you enjoy PS exclusives like me, you won't look at numbers as the holy "be all end all". MS can have all the raw GPU power in the world but I still personally think MS exclusives are not as good as PS exclusives.

100% this. The PS3 was better than the 360, but the 360 had better games so it won. The Saturn was a better machine than the PS1 but the PS1 was cheaper so it won. Tech isn't the only thing that matters in a console.

Trogdor1123

No PS1 and PS2 makes no sense to me. The system would easily have the power. PS3, maybe not but I wish it did.

Hope Sony hits it out of the park today but looking like Xbox is in the lead for taking my money right now.

Flintty

Yup. There’s a reason many of us (we do exist!) opted for Xbox One on day one this gen. Each to their own - get what suits you, Whatever has the games you want to play most. And don’t try and make people feel like shit for buying into a ‘rival’ platform.

Unlikely getting a PS5 but I’ll be watching because I love this shit.

Arun1910

100% this. The PS3 was better than the 360, but the 360 had better games so it won. The Saturn was a better machine than the PS1 but the PS1 was cheaper so it won. Tech isn't the only thing that matters in a console.

360 for me didn't even have better games, it just ran multi-plats easier because the architecture was easier to use.

I bought a PS3 because I wanted the most powerful console at the time and ended up getting a 360 too because the 360 just ran everything better.

Dr.D00p

All I know is that the new God Of War & Spiderman games will look far superior on the PS5, than they will on the Xbox Series X.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Here's a fact: Sony has expensive cooling. Means they run high clock speeds. If they had RDNA2, they wouldn't need that to reach 12 TF, as Microsoft shows (and as AMD says: RDNA2 is 50 % more efficient because of lower energy consumption, aka. less heat). So Sony needing expensive cooling (confirmed by Bloomberg and GamerNexus) and TF being disappointing to console warriors (meaning less than 12.1 TF) is very likely confirmation that Sony is indeed using RDNA1 and not RDNA2. With all the implications for raytracing that come with that.

Last edited:

greencoder

The question that always bothered me. Why do Americans care if the console costs $400 or $500? I saw people saying they won't buy a console if it will cost $500. Why do $100 matter?

Last edited:

Codes 208

If the 9.6tfops turns true, i expect the amount of salt will give me xbox one 1.23 and “double gpu right? Right???” flashbacks

Last edited:

SNG32

I feel like they will still announce backwards compatibility. But it won't be natively. It will probably be incorporated in PSN now and you will be able to download selected titles the older titles will be upscaled similar to what xbox is doing. But being able to play all ps generation games out the gate or being able to put your old dusty dvds and cds in a PS5 I knew that wouldn't be possible. At this point the only requirement for BC is PS4 natively. Majority of people will not be playing PS1 -PS3 games and Sony knows this. They've sold more PS3 consoles without BC and won this generation without it. All that matters is exclusives and Price point.

Top Bottom