• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier - Avowed has gone through reboots and changed directors recently, wouldn’t expect to play it for a while

So the information about the difficulties by an ex-dev from.Obsidian, and which many considered to be nothing but resentful words, is actually true...
Screenshot_2022-06-12-16-52-10-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.105148f65fee812b79c8e857affd2e73.jpg

You all are overreacting.

But that's like yesterday...🙁

Elysion

Banned
I wonder if all these development troubles among MS studios is because of internal mismanagement, or because MS simply isn’t satisfied with what they’ve produced so far. It wouldn’t surprise me if MS desperately wants their own big blockbuster IPs to compete with Sony, but their studios simply aren’t up for the task (yet).

We shouldn’t forget, Sony’s first party output wasn’t always at the level it is today. During the PS3 era they released a lot of games that were only middling successes, if not outright flops: Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, Starhawk, MAG, Playstation Allstars etc. None of these IPs ever set the world on fire, critically and commercially. Even Uncharted started off really slow; it didn’t even enter the NPD charts during its release month (remember the ‘uncharted’ jokes?)

It took these studios a long time until they found their groove and managed to produce regular blockbusters. Maybe some of MS’s studios are currently at the same stage Sony’s were during the PS3 era, but instead of allowing them to release ‘middling’ games, MS keeps changing things up and rebooting them in the hope of turning these projects into critical and commercial smash hits. I could be totally wrong though; I have no idea how MS works internally. Maybe they don’t care about ‘blockbusters’ anymore because of Gamepass.

Papacheeks

Banned
Shame, was really looking forward to playing this soon. :(

EDIT: Schreier deleted the tweet for some reason. It was this:

Apu71He.png

And supposedly Jez Gordon Played it? What did he play? Sounds like he's full of shit.

God Obsidian is a great studio too, I wonder if Scope has changed? I totally have faith in them, but this is a big fucking blow to Xbox studios..

Like No Avowed, No Perfect Dark, No fable, no gears 6, no Forza till next year? Like wtf was Microsoft doing all of 2022 in terms of signing content? We are getting Persona games which is a great thing, but what is going to move the needle this fall? And everyone keeps saying 2023 is stacked, but now Avowed is not even coming 2023.

Seriously if heads are not rolling at Redmond then wtf is Mcirosoft doing, how can you currate a library where you put all your eggs into two games for the whole fucking year?

Jesus CHrist.

I wonder if all these development troubles among MS studios is because of internal mismanagement, or because MS simply isn’t satisfied with what they’ve produced so far. It wouldn’t surprise me if MS desperately wants their own big blockbuster IPs to compete with Sony, but their studios simply aren’t up for the task (yet).

We shouldn’t forget, Sony’s first party output wasn’t always at the level it is today. During the PS3 era they released a lot of games that were only middling successes, if not outright flops: Killzone, Resistance, Infamous, Starhawk, MAG, Playstation Allstars etc. None of these IPs ever set the world on fire, critically and commercially. Even Uncharted started off really slow; it didn’t even enter the NPD charts during its release month (remember the ‘uncharted’ jokes?)

It took these studios a long time until they found their groove and managed to produce regular blockbusters. Maybe some of MS’s studios are currently at the same stage Sony’s were during the PS3 era, but instead of allowing them to release ‘middling’ games, MS keeps changing things up and rebooting them in the hope of turning these projects into critical and commercial smash hits. I could be totally wrong though; I have no idea how MS works internally. Maybe they don’t care about ‘blockbusters’ anymore because of Gamepass.

He's also rarely wrong.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Everyone always thinks reports are probably spot on until they read a report on something they actually know something about.

The rude awakening when watching any news media. They bring in "experts" around something you deeply understand already, and you get fed so much stupid bullshit that you wake up in a goo bath like Neo did in the Matrix.

HL3.exe

To be honest, I haven't seen or heard anything about Avowed that peaks my interest.

So i'm fine waiting until they present something worth while.

Hezekiah

Banned
Lol this was one of the MS exclusives I thought might actually come out on 2023. Was looking forward to seeing it too.

What is going on with XGS games being in pre-production for really long periods, and games getting rebooted.

Matt Booty needs replacing imo, or at least needs help. It's clear that he can't handle what's currently being expected of him, and the result is 2022 being bare in terms of MS exclusives, and 2023 featuring a bunch of '2022' games.

Jaybe

Jason says if they put a release date of 2023 on Avowed, they will be announcing this time next year it’s being moved to 2024. 🤷‍♂️

cormack12

Gold Member
We all missing the wider picture here.

1. If the bagels were so important, why was Jason tweeting during his purchase?
2. If buying food had a direct correlation with shit tweets, does twitter exist only in supermarkets?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And supposedly Jez Gordon Played it? What did he play? Sounds like he's full of shit.

God Obsidian is a great studio too, I wonder if Scope has changed? I totally have faith in them, but this is a big fucking blow to Xbox studios..

Like No Avowed, No Perfect Dark, No fable, no gears 6, no Forza till next year? Like wtf was Microsoft doing all of 2022 in terms of signing content? We are getting Persona games which is a great thing, but what is going to move the needle this fall? And everyone keeps saying 2023 is stacked, but now Avowed is not even coming 2023.
The long-term problem with getting games like Persona and Final Fantasy etc. is that, at best, it will give some Xbox fans a couple of games to play, but that shouldn't be the only goal for Xbox.

Their goal should be to capture market share -- push people to abandon PlayStation and jump to Xbox, like it happened to an extent during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation. These ports of the games will not serve that purpose at all.

No PlayStation user is going to abandon PlayStation and instead buy an Xbox because they can now play Persona or Final Fantasy on Xbox when they have been playing those games on PlayStation for two years now. Also, both these games have been given on PS Plus as well.

Only new games that not only rival but surpass Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Spider-Man, God of War, etc. can help with that goal. And I'm not seeing that from Xbox. Let's see if they can change today.

Edit: They didn't change it today.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I read your post with the following in mind "So people cant simp for klob, but when they simp for jason you don't mind?"
Got it. Thanks for explaining. For a moment I thought your were a furry upset about a squirrel getting burned.

Everyone always thinks reports are probably spot on until they read a report on something they actually know something about.
I talk to people from time to time who have zero clue about the trucking industry who tell me how I'm going to be out of the job in a decade.

I just smile and move on.

pasterpl

Seriously if heads are not rolling at Redmond then wtf is Mcirosoft doing, how can you currate a library where you put all your eggs into two games for the whole fucking year?

Jesus CHrist.

He's also rarely wrong.

People need to chill, we will know everything in 15 minutes.

Teslerum

What's the point of extensive pre-production if you're going to reboot multiple times?

Once I can maybe understand, but several reboots is ridiculous.

Like multiple reshoots in a film.
It wasn't rebooted (from what we know), he's just making an assumption because leads changed. It's likely that priorities changed during that time (which is now nearly 2 years ago), but there's zero evidence they threw everything away. The recent 2 changes of the creative leads was because they simply left the company as well. If you think that leads to a full reboot every time I've got a bridge to sell you.

Not the first time Obsidian has been in this position as well and they still got things done.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
It wasn't rebooted (from what we know), he's just making an assumption because leads changed. It's likely that priorities changed during that time (which is now nearly 2 years ago), but there's zero evidence they threw everything away. The recent 2 changes of the creative leads was because they simply left the company as well. If you think that leads to a full reboot every time I've got a bridge to sell you.
I'm not being funny but I'm inclined to believe the journalist with a number of industry contacts:
Screenshot_2022-06-12-16-52-10-46_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.105148f65fee812b79c8e857affd2e73.jpg

Teslerum

I'm not being funny but I'm inclined to believe the journalist with a number of industry contacts:
Who admitted that he got his info by drive-bying Avellone's tweets. And those tweets don't mention a reboot, just that there was a shake-up (which there was) in personal. Doesn't/Didn't sound good, of course. But that's it. Nothing about any work scrapped or any reboot performed in response.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I rather bash both at the same time, instead of being a simp who thanks someone for a angry rant
Congratulations on two birds one stone and such. I just bash them separately. It’s lovely seeing them devour themselves. Not sure where this imaginary ‘thanks’ you keep bringing up comes from.

Hezekiah

Banned
Who admitted that he got his info by drive-bying Avellone's tweets. And those tweets don't mention a reboot.
OK mate I guess we'll find out pretty soon. I mean this should really be a 2023 game given that production apparently began late in 2018.

He mentioned in another post on Era that last he heard was a reboot around late 2020. That he hasn't heard about anything recently.

Big oof on his part, then.

Unfortunately if it's a case of most of MS's teams being around where roughly many of Sony's teams were around middle (to starting end) of the PS3 gen, then we have a pretty long wait before exceptional greatness. Not only do MS have way more teams to manage than Sony did at that time, but dev costs have increased a ton, meaning the levels you have to reach to "WOW!" gamers requires a lot more work and resources than back in 7th gen.

But I guess we'll see; it's showcase time baby!!

Teslerum

Nope, apparently pre-production began early 2017, ended late 2018.
Edit: Found it. Thanks.

That's interesting, doesn't make much sense though (Especially with Microsoft not being in the picture at the time). Could it be that was just the pitch itself?

Last edited:

Three

If this is true then wtf is going on? Wasn't it slated for early 2023? It's almost like there is a string of news that games aren't coming any time soon before a new bunch of promises just to get all the bad news out of the way.

Three

It wouldn't be a PreXbox Show without Scherier's bad news/information about Xbox to dampen the hype among people and put the brand in a bad light.

I wonder why he always waits for the day of the Show to leak negative information if he could have done it before and with some article.....🤔 P.S. The answer is known to all.
Because people might be expecting it at the show and he replied to someone? Drop your persecution complex.

Hezekiah

Banned
Edit: Found it. Thanks.

That's interesting, doesn't make much sense though (Especially with Microsoft not being in the picture at the time). Could it be that was just the pitch itself?
Not sure, I think Obsidian were just working on a number of projects simultaneously.

Top Bottom