• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier - Avowed has gone through reboots and changed directors recently, wouldn’t expect to play it for a while

44IaVLJ.jpg

Last edited:

Teslerum

So he's basically tweeting about changes that happened last year ?

mhmm. Great timing to post about a year old news :rolleyes:
It's not that long ago that Dollarhyde left the creative director position (and the company). I assume that's who Schreier is referring to (Even if he himself doesn't know it). Don't remember if it was this year though.

Director changed once, Creative Director twice IIRC.

I'm not sad about Dollarhyde leaving tbh.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SCHREEEEEEEEEEIIIIIRRRRR!!!!

I swear this guy has nothing but shit to talk. He fucking loves it and lives for it.

Weirdo.
Nah, he's the only journalist out there doing his job which is to inform the gaming consumer and hold these multi billion dollar publishers accountable.

Movie studios are open about director changes, actors leaving and even writers switching during production. Meanwhile, the video game industry keeps everything a secret while misleading their consumers with fancy CG trailers, incorrect release dates, and NDAs that are all designed to keep the consumer in the dark about any potential problems with their game. If the game is in development hell, it will not turn out well. We have seen this with many EA games that Jason covered where Mass Effect and Anthem were both presented with misleading footage and trailers while the games released in an awful state.

Just last year, Jason got a lot of shit for revealing that there was no days gone 2, that there was a pointless last of us remake in development at sony and naughty dog literally had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 and ended up taking over a project from a support tier studio. It took Bend 3 years of development to reveal a logo last week because they also saw director changes and creative writers leaving mid production wasting pretty much 2 years of development time. I remember a lot of fans saying that simply cannot be true, and well, he was a 100% right.

His politics are his politics and he's kind of a dick but most people good at their jobs are. And his sources are impeccable and his articles are public service. Just because his reporting hurts your feelings doesnt mean he is a weirdo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not that long ago that Dollarhyde left the creative director position (and the company). I assume that's who Schreier is referring to (Even if he himself doesn't know it). Don't remember if it was this year though.

Director changed once, Creative Director twice IIRC.

It's even worse in his later post, he's acknowledging that something happened but at the end of 2020, early 2021, not too long after that announcement CG trailer.

So, again, he posted extremely outdated info and then he tweets that he doesn't want news website and forums to run with it.

Like .. that's really dumb right ?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

Obsidian: “Jason Schreier has gone through some reboots and changed sides pretty recently. Dunno if it’ll be there today, but I wouldn’t expect to read it for a while”​

Now that would be news.

Also, glad Schreier still is reverred at some places.

EDIT:
Sounds like Typical Schreier to me.

Hey Jason, if you don't want every your word on Twitter treated as pseudo-religious gospel, maybe not post on Twitter.

Things like these are why people like Jason Schreier should not have such relevancy in gaming. Literally not important when it comes to news and it can change on a whim, as Schreier is proving here.

Last edited:

Teslerum

It's even worse in his later post, he's acknowledging that something happened but at the end of 2020, early 2021, not too long after that announcement CG trailer.

So, again, he posted extremely outdated info and then he tweets that he doesn't want news website and forums to run with it.

Like .. that's really dumb right ?
No, the Dollarhyde thing happened recently. Dollarhyde actually took over from Soulban early 2021 IIRC.

Of course, Schreier is just sloppy with what he's saying.

But again, I'm not sad about Dollarhyde leaving. Same person who took out roleplay options from Outer Worlds so as her asexual brothers and sisters aren't offended. She's also been on it less than a year. Dunno who's taken over for her, or if the position is even too needed at this point. (As I assume most of the general work was done by Soulban before he left)

Last edited:
So is it true or is it not?

I don't know if I believe this one; Obsidian aren't like 343i or The Initiative, studios with a HISTORY of bad management or founded on a style that was obviously not conductive for a games developer. They have a pretty solid history of game development and delivering quality titles, generally on time too. And Avowed isn't something completely out of their wheelhouse like Fable is for Playground Games.

Not only that but I kinda don't like Schreir as a journalist, his style is very opportunistic, provocative and drama queen-esque. It goes beyond just reporting the information, with him. Also I've heard some conflicting mentions this was with a situation maybe a year old, at which point it's kinda irrelevant.

I guess a release date for Avowed will confirm if it's true or not, though. I pegged this for 2023 at the latest and Outer Worlds 2 for 2025; if Avowed gets a 2024 date then it might suggest what Jason's saying is potentially true, but the reason that could be in doubt is because MS may not want to bunch Starfield and Avowed together in the same year (I don't see why not, unless Starfield is a H2 2023 release after all), and I'm thinking Hellblade II comes out before Avowed, anyway.

But if it gets a late 2024 or early 2025 release window, then yeah, I guess there may have been some recent development issues after all and if that's the case....well I'm not gonna say the same thing like a broken record. You probably know what I'd say if it turns out to be yet another studio/game at MS with dev & management issues. But, the dates will tell (mostly) everything.

Teslerum

I don't know if I believe this one; Obsidian aren't like 343i or The Initiative, studios with a HISTORY of bad management or founded on a style that was obviously not conductive for a games developer.
Obsidian absolutely have a history of bad management. They hardly had a game where there wasn't something wrong during production with the exception of maybe Grounded. I'm saying this as someone that has followed the company very closely in the past 13 years.

That said, that's not a bad thing in this case, because while said games may not end up too polished or buggy (though they have managed to shed some of that reputation, a lot of them end up fun on ambition alone. Kotor 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, even arguably New Vegas because they agreed on a contract in an insane time frame (And delivered, again buggy and arguably unpolished, but a masterpiece) If anything Outer Worlds was one of their most polished titles and it hasn't been received as well as other games they made.

It's also why there shouldn't be much drama about this. What releases will release. How it will end up we can't say either way yet.

Edit: Just to reiterate Alpha Protocol. Production was such a mess that the publisher wanted nothing to do with the game and Obsidian before the game even released. The Lead was also changed during less than a year before release. The game he inherited was a mess of individual scenes, an absolute frankenstein monster. And yet, it's also pretty much the holy grail now for in game reactivity. Relax.

Last edited:
Obsidian absolutely have a history of bad management. They hardly had a game where there wasn't something wrong during production with the exception of maybe Grounded. I'm saying this as someone that has followed the company very closely in the past 13 years.

That said, that's not a bad thing in this case, because while said games may not end up too polished or buggy (though they have managed to shed some of that reputation, a lot of them end up fun on ambition alone. If anything Outer Worlds was one of their most polished titles and it hasn't been received as well as other games they made.

It's also why there shouldn't be much drama about this. What releases will release. How it will end up we can't say either way yet.

Guess I might've spoken too soon about Obsidian's production pipeline then xD. It was just a casual observation, I feel the bad management at places like 343i are way more well-known to gamers in general given their status (tho it's not just a MS thing; Sonic Team have a prolific history of bad management too as another example).

I'm really hoping this game hits because there's not that many big-budget, high-fantasy first-person RPGs around in general and if any team can do one justice, Obsidian would be one of the few. If the game just comes out and it's "alright", nothing terrible but nothing memorable, fairly bog-standard, that'll cut kinda deep considering it was one of the highlights of their 2020 showcase.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nah, he's the only journalist out there doing his job which is to inform the gaming consumer and hold these multi billion dollar publishers accountable.

Movie studios are open about director changes, actors leaving and even writers switching during production. Meanwhile, the video game industry keeps everything a secret while misleading their consumers with fancy CG trailers, incorrect release dates, and NDAs that are all designed to keep the consumer in the dark about any potential problems with their game. If the game is in development hell, it will not turn out well. We have seen this with many EA games that Jason covered where Mass Effect and Anthem were both presented with misleading footage and trailers while the games released in an awful state.

Just last year, Jason got a lot of shit for revealing that there was no days gone 2, that there was a pointless last of us remake in development at sony and naughty dog literally had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2 and ended up taking over a project from a support tier studio. It took Bend 3 years of development to reveal a logo last week because they also saw director changes and creative writers leaving mid production wasting pretty much 2 years of development time. I remember a lot of fans saying that simply cannot be true, and well, he was a 100% right.

His politics are his politics and he's kind of a dick but most people good at their jobs are. And his sources are impeccable and his articles are public service. Just because his reporting hurts your feelings doesnt mean he is a weirdo.

Everything you say is pretty true and I accept it but I am still allowed to think he looks and seems like a weirdo lol

Let me have that at least. Lol

Come on Jason, you're using 2020 news references and tweeting about it 2 hours before a big show.

The fuck else did you think people are gonna say ?

Is that really the only source he's using to post these new tweets? Really?

I mean I expect a Sony troll to trash Xbox, so why is this so suprising?

He put up the Jim Ryan email stuff the same day MS announced the RedFall & Starfield delays. He also opportunistically reported on Naughty Dog TLOU2 stuff right before the game came out.

A Sony troll wouldn't do those kind of things IMO.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Chris Avellone did share information on this and what's going on in Obisidian. There was even a thread on GAF.

But as always, people chose not to listen to what he was saying and instead used his poor working relationship with Obsidian as a reason why he was lying and spreading misinformation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everything you say is pretty true and I accept it but I am still allowed to think he looks and seems like a weirdo lol

Let me have that at least. Lol
Oh, He's a weirdo for sure. lol I just think he's a good journalist and thats the least weird think about him.

Teslerum

Guess I might've spoken too soon about Obsidian's production pipeline then xD. It was just a casual observation, I feel the bad management at places like 343i are way more well-known to gamers in general given their status (tho it's not just a MS thing; Sonic Team have a prolific history of bad management too as another example).

I'm really hoping this game hits because there's not that many big-budget, high-fantasy first-person RPGs around in general and if any team can do one justice, Obsidian would be one of the few. If the game just comes out and it's "alright", nothing terrible but nothing memorable, fairly bog-standard, that'll cut kinda deep considering it was one of the highlights of their 2020 showcase.
That would cut me deep as well, because it's not what I wanted from Obsidian at Microsoft. Same ambition, but now with polish. Not lower ambition with polish.

Thankfully, Sawyer's project might be revealed and that seems ambitious from the get go, even if on the lower budget side. So, as an Obsidian fan its an interesting show either way.

Last edited:

Jaybe

lmao. Klobrie getting called out on E3 day is beautiful.
Klob is such a cheerleading twat and these REEE OT Xbox thread dummies keep lapping his crap it up. It’s great to see him made the fool on one of his favourite places by someone with actual industry notoriety.

kirby007

Klob is such a cheerleading twat and these REEE OT Xbox thread dummies keep lapping his crap it up. It’s great to see him made the fool on one of his favourite places by someone with actual industry notoriety.
why don't you thank Jason while your at it

Top Bottom