• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Call of Duty could ditch the yearly release schedule

No. If you spend 70b, you certainly do not do that for 700m yearly revenue :messenger_tears_of_joy: MS does not expect to return this money from the purchase by selling games on Playstation. Not releasing the game on Playstation will allow to bring people to Game Pass, while keeping on Playstation will allow people stay on Playstation.
That's like saying Sony didn't buy Spiderman just to let Disney use it as they wish, except, they kind of are doing just that. It seems as if Disney has more plans for Spiderman creating Stark 2.0 than Sony has for him.

$700 million revenue is chump change to a company that just spent $70bil in straight up cash. They’d also make a significant portion of that extra for Xbox when cod js exclusive because they will get lots and lots and lots of people jump ship from PlayStation to Xbox just like they did last gen.

Microsoft don’t care about “goodwill” from people buying their games on their competitors console, giving them 30% of all revenue for doing nothing, still buying all their other games on PlayStation. They want to push Sony out of the market essentially, and you don’t do that by making games for them.

Again - Microsoft didn’t release halo infinite on PlayStation. Why not? Why is Starfield now Xbox exclusive? Surely the “goodwill” and revenue from selling all their games on PlayStation would be worth it?

It’s just amazing that people are still living with these delusions that Microsoft are going to keep releasing games on PlayStation. It makes zero sense. When sony bought insomniac did they release Spider Man, a third party IP, on Xbox?

When Disney bought Fox did they keep releasing all fox shows and movies on Netflix etc?
This is a minecraft situation plain and simple. Microsoft could pull it from playstation, but they won't because they will make more money with it on it and because they wish to keep the goodwill of competitors and fans alike.

No, all those shows are on hulu rather than Disney+, I believe if which fox owns only like 30% of, so they could be getting the other 70% if they moved it to D+ and sold their share of hulu. No, they didn't release it on Xbox, but Sony is letting Disney use spiderman however they would like, because, reasons. Companies can share and everyone is for the better.

What quotes from senior leadership says to you that they are trying push Sony out of the market? Off the top of my head the quote that sticks out is "when everybody plays, we all win". They didn't make the adaptive controller to make money, but for goodwill and because they believe in that quote. They bought Activision for the technology behind it and because it's a strong way to enter "the metaverse" trend. They are going to use this acquisition in a bigger way than just games going to gp, therefore continuing to release cod and possibly overwatch 2 to PS, doesn't change their plans and goals.

That's like saying Sony didn't buy Spiderman just to let Disney use it as they wish, except, they kind of are doing just that. It seems as if Disney has more plans for Spiderman creating Stark 2.0 than Sony has for him.
Sony owns movie rights on Spider-man, while Disney owns gaming rights on Spider-man. Different situation and - honestly - kinda hilarious. They kinda license it from each other.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is a minecraft situation plain and simple. Microsoft could pull it from playstation, but they won't because they will make more money with it on it and because they wish to keep the goodwill of competitors and fans alike.

No, all those shows are on hulu rather than Disney+, I believe if which fox owns only like 30% of, so they could be getting the other 70% if they moved it to D+ and sold their share of hulu. No, they didn't release it on Xbox, but Sony is letting Disney use spiderman however they would like, because, reasons. Companies can share and everyone is for the better.

What quotes from senior leadership says to you that they are trying push Sony out of the market? Off the top of my head the quote that sticks out is "when everybody plays, we all win". They didn't make the adaptive controller to make money, but for goodwill and because they believe in that quote. They bought Activision for the technology behind it and because it's a strong way to enter "the metaverse" trend. They are going to use this acquisition in a bigger way than just games going to gp, therefore continuing to release cod and possibly overwatch 2 to PS, doesn't change their plans and goals.
Disney owns the majority of Hulu lol.

I'm sorry but if you think you need quotes to understand that Microsoft spending $77bil in 18 months on publisher/studio acquisitions is trying to become the dominant force in gaming, I don't know what to say.

They made the adaptive controller so they can sell games to people with disabilities.

So many people on this forum think that "goodwill" is just a catch all for why companies would do things against their own interests. Why on earth do you think microsoft care about "goodwill" of sony?

What "technology behind it" does Activision has that is a strong way to "enter the metaverse"?

Microsoft aren't going to pull games off Playstation. They will not, however, release NEW games on playstation.

Sony wanted Spiderman games exclusively, Disney wanted to use Spiderman in movies. Not hard to see why that deal got made.

Last edited:
Disney owns the majority of Hulu lol.

I'm sorry but if you think you need quotes to understand that Microsoft spending $77bil in 18 months on publisher/studio acquisitions is trying to become the dominant force in gaming, I don't know what to say.

They made the adaptive controller so they can sell games to people with disabilities.

So many people on this forum think that "goodwill" is just a catch all for why companies would do things against their own interests. Why on earth do you think microsoft care about "goodwill" of sony?

What "technology behind it" does Activision has that is a strong way to "enter the metaverse"?

Microsoft aren't going to pull games off Playstation. They will not, however, release NEW games on playstation.

Sony wanted Spiderman games exclusively, Disney wanted to use Spiderman in movies. Not hard to see why that deal got made.
They were selling games to people with disabilities regardless. They didn't have to make the controller at all. They don't care about the goodwill of Sony, but of Sony customers who are potential new customers. Companies don't have a PR department for no reason.

Maybe MS liked their sbmm tech? Hell if I know by they are probably working on something vr/ar/mobile/nft related to make MS think they are a competitor in the metaverse space.

Why wouldn't they release on Sony? The majority of cod purchases are there. There will be tons of people who will not jump ship. Plus, those same users are still buying dlc/cosmetics which is the largest margin. Why would Sony release their games on a competitors platform (steam)? Because of all of the reasons I listed before.

Except why would they make a deal with Disney when Sony can make spiderman games AND movies? Why would they settle for less money? Because they know that's what fans want, spiderman in Disney movies, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom