• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

BootsLoader

Banned
Well this is no news. Ryan is not “art” oriented person. I think he can’t understand creativity and that his movements will hurt the PlayStation brand. PlayStation was always about trying new things, about creativity etc (with some minor issues here and there). Let’s see how this will play out.

DonJorginho

Banned
The TLOU remake thing I kind of get it and I see it as a good move, especially now that they have the HBO TLOU show in production for a release in 2022/2023 (same timeframe in which I expect the TLOU remake to launch for PS5).

It's what they've done to Bend that bugs me a hell of a lot.
I just see this as ND not making anything original until 2024 at least with a new Uncharted and this remake, it makes me annoyed that all this time and they're still an Uncharted and TLOU studio, I want something fresh!

SLB1904

Banned
The most hated PlayStation games were Death Stranding and The Order 1886 btw. Those games had very little positive reception and sold very poorly (both games I am big fans of btw)

Days Gone had a universally positive user reception and sold more than both games combined.
You trippin if you think death stranding is on the same ballpark.
Most awarded game in 2019.
Won goty for pc 2020.

From the article:

“The people funding the work are often risk-averse, and if they have to pick between a team that’s done it before, and someone trying to do it on their own for the first time, I can see why some people pick the prior developer over the latter,” he said.

If this is legit, then its not good. They're going to really stifle their creative output. Their output in the most recent decade has been a far cry from what they used to make anyway.

The article explains it pretty well. They wanted to do an Uncharted remake but it was too big a job with no budget, so they pivoted to TLOU because it was easy to bring it up to PS5 standard without majorly changing the gameplay. They hoped that would egt them enough clout to move back to Uncharted.

Yeah upon reading the article further, the purpose behind it makes sense, but its still a baffling business decision. The idea that it was meant to open the possibility for a Uncharted remake is also kinda mindboggling. This remake bonanza extravaganza phase the industry is generally going through is spinning out of control.

Jim Ryan going to sink this ship faster than Don Mattrick tvtvtv.

If its real, then, yeah, its really indicative of how out of touch the new management is. All the recent moves combined also really, really don't inspire much confidence, at least from a hardcore pov.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What gets me about all this is the fact that PlayStation is coming off its second most popular console generation ever and probably its most profitable. They did all this by having a diverse selection of both smaller games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian along with blockbusters like TLOU and Spider-Man.

This formula worked. Why change?

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Three

I feel sorry for making all of my friends play Days Gone and telling them to got for the secret ending. God dammit, I cannot believe how they are going to let such an intriguing franchise die.

Imagine if Capcom decided to stop with Resident Evil just after releasing the first game - because that's exactly what Sony is doing to Days Gone.
Bend are working on their own new game. We don't know what but it might actually be Days Gone 2. I personally would prefer something else.

DonJorginho

Banned
You trippin if you think death stranding is on the same ballpark.
Most awarded game in 2019.
Won goty for pc 2020.
Was with the critics and even more so with fans, most people mocked it for being a walking simulator on launch.

It's one of my favourite games OAT but even I know lots of people despise it.

Guilty_AI

What gets me about all this is the fact that PlayStation is coming off its second most popular console generation ever and probably its most profitable. They did all this by having a diverse selection of both smaller games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian along with blockbusters like TLOU and Spider-Man.

This formula worked. Why change?

Confused Liam Neeson GIF
cause times change

Sony is becoming quite ruthless and throwing all its budget at its bigger developers and the rest have to make do with the scraps it seems. Just relying on the big AAA games is in my opinion not sustainable long term, just the dev time alone is insane. Smaller games and teams should be backed as well.

SLB1904

Banned
For the record, can any Xbox fanboys who refused to be critical of Xbox when phil was serving up nothing but halo/gears/Forza last gen please shut the fuck up. You know who you are.
Dont need to go far.

"Ms is buying studios to release AAA every month"

Hypocrisy at is finest

Perrott

Bend are working on their own new game. We don't know what but it might actually be Days Gone 2. I personally would prefer something else.
I doubt that they are going to make Days Gone 2 now that the creative minds behind the original (John Garvin, Jeff Ross) are gone from the studio.

yurinka

Oh no, only Blockbusters ..... so bad.
In the last year or so they released 1st party games like Dreams, Sackboy, Destruction All Stars or Astrobot, have Ratchet or Returnal coming soon and reduced Japan Studio to focus on Team Asobi, so they will continue making at least some small games. In addition to that, they also have a ton of indie exclusives every year. Maybe now they will focus more on making first party AAA games and will focus on indies for the smaller, more experimental games.

I doubt that they are going to make Days Gone 2 now that the creative minds behind the original (John Garvin, Jeff Ross) are gone from the studio.
AAA games are made by hundred of people. They can replace anyone, specially for a sequel where you already have the world set with the gameplay features, characters built and so on. In this case, regarding the direction the game would be bigger and better iterating in those areas where there was room for improvement and pushing in the areas people liked more.

Regarding the writing, Days Gone wasn't too focused on it but Sony has a ton of talented people in this area, so could put someone from another studio if they don't have someone to handle it properly on Sony Bend or can't hire someone to do it. I'm pretty sure Bend would be perfectly able to make a sequel.

A focus on blockbusters is the polar opposite of the games I bought the PS4 for (Bloodborne, Persona 5/Royal).
No need to worry about these two IPs or similar games from their creators.

Sony recently made a deal with From Software's parent company where they want Sony help them to bring their games and anime to a more global audience, and even gave 2% of the company to Sony on exchange for it. So it's pretty fair to assume that the first Sony would ask them would be Bloodborne 2 or another new From Software game.

Persona is one of the most successful Sega series as of now, make sure the next Persona games will continue releasing on PS5.

As for Naughty Dog working on another Uncharted - it's to be expected as it's a money maker - but I was hoping they were gonna be working on ANY thing that wasn't UC or TLoU. That Dark Fantasy art looked really good although it was probably nothing.
The creator of the dark fantasy art mentioned it was only a random drawing he made on his free time, it wasn't for a game.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised. The budgets for these games pretty much demand that you focus only on blockbusters and proven studios. It reduces the ability to take risks. This is hardly unique to Sony. It is happening industry wide and has been for some time now.
Not Microsoft mate, they have many smaller developers and smaller scope games, as well as the big AAA titles.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ugh modern sad dad sony is the worst. They were firing on all cylinders a couple of years ago. A great variety of games, backing indies, amazing e3 and psx presentations, years of dreams. Wtf happened to them?

SLB1904

Banned
Was with the critics and even more so with fans, most people mocked it for being a walking simulator on launch.

It's one of my favourite games OAT but even I know lots of people despise it.
"Most people"

Who mocks every sony game as walking simulator

Jason officially slobbing on that MS knob for his boss Richie Rich.

This is more gossip disguised as news no surprise from this guy.

Last edited:

Elios83

Firstly it's not a spoiler as it's not a fictional story that he is revealing the ending to. You don't 'spoil' the news.

His story isn't primarily about what Naughty Dog is doing, it's about Visual Arts Service group and Bend Studio. The fact that Visual Arts Service group wanted to effectively be a Bluepoint and got stopped. That Bend Studio was fearful of being merged.

The pro's and cons of naughty dog doing a TLOU remake is for consumers to decided.

Seriously how can you say this is not a spoiler?
Which news are you talking about? Sony hasn't announced what projects Naughty Dog is working on. He's doing it potentially damaging the company's marketing plans and it's not the first time that Naughty Dog has been under his fire or under his attention....has he some kind of grudge?
He's doing it in their place because he happened to know through sources and he wants to make a scoop out it.
Since making an article with "I know what Naughty Dog is doing" is not enough for a Bloomberg article he's adding drama about the small unknown team being denied the remake (as if that's a bad thing for quality :messenger_grinning_sweat: ).

The rest of this article is drama to validate the rest.
The fact that he wants to frame a focus on big high quality AAA releases that has been going on for years as something negative and new is just the icing on the cake.
David Jaffe was totally right to pre-emptively call out the drama bullshit IMO.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
My issue is that they have only 5 teams really making AAA blockbusters.... ND, SP, SMS, Insomniac and GG.

Even if some of them have 2 teams, it's not more than 10 games being made over 3 years.

It's time to get some studios Jim...stop being a cheapskate.

They don't necessarily need more teams, they should allow teams to make what they are passionate about. That would mean we would see more frequent experimental games from the smaller split teams.

If it's just going to be infrequent "blockbuster" games then I'm out. I only own the console for exclusives and there's no point in having it from the start if the output is going to be limited to 1-2 games a year.

Senua

Gold Member
The more cinematic TPS blockbusters the better.

Even though indies are where the actual gameplay innovations are, they are unfortunately gay.

Withnail

Days gone was hands down the most hated playstation game in recent years every conversation came down to generic open world game didnt review well. And the same people that were trolling the game now feel a disappointment that there wont be a sequel?

I mean just look at the recent Days Gone PC port thread and the reaction of the community was more along the lines of "no thanks" 🤔

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Again, this does not come down to what you consider "believable".

Jason Schreier has the finest sources in the industry, which means that The Last Of Us remake is a real thing.

TLOU doesn't need remaking, just a solid remastering for PS5.

Honestly, how the fuck is anyone going to realistically get a better critical and public reception than the original got?

If this is true.....

I loved TLOU and actually liked the TLOU2. I wouldn't buy a remake of the first game though as its already had a remaster and it still looks great. I can't see many people buying it for the same reasons...and probably will flop. Then you'll get TLOU2 haters saying "see the sequal was that bad nobody wants a remake"

Bryank75

Banned
They don't necessarily need more teams, they should allow teams to make what they are passionate about. That would mean we would see more frequent experimental games from the smaller split teams.

If it's just going to be infrequent "blockbuster" games then I'm out. I only own the console for exclusives and there's no point in having it from the start if the output is going to be limited to 1-2 games a year.
But more studios would allow more risks.... cause the risk would be spread among more studios and styles of game.

This approach of Jim Ryan is putting all your eggs in one basket.

In the last year or so they released 1st party games like Dreams, Sackboy or Astrobot and reduced Japan Studio to focus on Team Asobi, so they will continue making at least some small games. In addition to that, they also have a ton of indie exclusives every year.
You really shouldn't expect something like Dreams coming out under the new management again.

reksveks

Seriously how can you say this is not a spoiler?
Which news are you talking about? Sony hasn't announced what projects Naughty Dog is working on. He's doing it potentially damaging the company's marketing plans and it's not the first time that Naughty Dog has been under his fire or under his attention....has he some kind of grudge?
Should journalists honestly care about companies marketing plans?

The news that the leadership team of Visual Art Service group has left. You might not be concerned but it's a new story given their parent company and the circumstances of their departure.

ethomaz

Banned
The Last Of Us remake make sense to be handled by the big ND team and not a small separated team.... I see now issue here.

The ideia a small team try to impress making a remake of another team that are still active baffles me lol

Days Gone sequel was expected to not exists.

I do like in the focus one big AAA games.

Last edited:

Arkam

I’m willing to bet that this “the Last of Us remake “ is a VR project.
Now that would be cool. I have very close to Zero hype for a TLOU remake... but in VR, on PSVR2.... damn that does make it interesting. If they are doing it I would much like that route.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And yet we're called stupid and delusional fanboys for hating Jim Ryan.

This guy has no fuck ass clue what makes PlayStation great.

You're telling me the reason theres been no TLOU 2 PS5 update is because they're wasting resources on a TLOU1 Remake?!?! GTFO

Top Bottom