• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Tsugumo

Banned
Can you imagine being on a gaming enthusiast forum and not owning a PC where all the actual innovative and interesting games are?

Most of you just champion the lowest common denominator, "cinematic" faux movie games with no emphasis on actual gameplay mechanics.

It's like being on a music forum and all you guys talk about is Justin Bieber and Cardi B

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think this guy is a clown and a hack.

That being said, if this is true (ND are remaking The Last of Us and developing a new Uncharted game) then ND has become a big mommy milker sequel studio for Sony.

tenor.gif

A remake rather than giving us native 4k/60fps with a free patch and maybe giving us higher graphical lod/draw distance or whatever?

Uncharted 6, even though the story is told and wrapped up with 5 games? It’s going to be about Nate’s daughter kicking men’s arses alongside Nadine her super cyborg partner in crime or some shit.

Sony ripping the sequel moniker right out of MS’s hands.

spaceballs-2-the-search-for-more-money-fan-casting-poster-16368-medium.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Last of Us Re-Remastered?
“You know Ellie, this really is the last remaster.”

Who the fuck wants a Last of Us remake?

It's already been remastered. What's the point?
Who the fuck wants to re-buy GTAV?
Oh wait.

Hate to break this to some people, but Sony’s audience has been sending a clear message for years, and that message is that the bigger the better, that production values trump everything else, and that any good game below AAA will be considered a palate-cleansing timewaster at best, a tech demo at worst. You snubbed the smaller games, you made your bed.

GHG

Gold Member
But more studios would allow more risks.... cause the risk would be spread among more studios and styles of game.

This approach of Jim Ryan is putting all your eggs in one basket.

Yeh this is true. Japan studio alone was responsible for a ton of experimental stuff but we all know what's happening to them.

This probably explains why they were apparently aggressively attempting to pay for 3rd party exclusives to offset that but we all know how that has turned out.

We are entering a phase of the industry when owning your own studios and IP is going to be increasingly important because of the rise of the subscription service but these guys are going to be left in the cold if they think what they have now will be sufficient.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
The Last Of Us remake make sense to be handled by the big ND team and not a small separated team.... I see now issue here.

The ideia a small team try to impress making a remake of another team that are still active baffles me lol

Days Gone sequel was expected to not exists.
In the thread about Days Gone coming to PC you posted multiple times about how it makes sense to put it on PC because Days Gone 2 is coming. Now that Sony kills DG2 of course you are backpedaling and trying to make it seem as if no one should have ever expected a Days Gone sequel. Doesn't it get boring being a console warrior weasel and never having an authentic opinion about anything?

Senua

Gold Member
Hate to break this to some people, but Sony’s audience has been sending a clear message for years, and that message is that the bigger the better, that production values trump everything else, and that any good game below AAA will be considered a palate-cleansing timewaster at best, a tech demo at worst. You snubbed the smaller games, you made your bed.
Truth Reaction GIF by moodman

In the thread about Days Gone coming to PC you posted multiple times about how it makes sense to put it on PC because Days Gone 2 is coming. Now that Sony kills DG2 of course you are backpedaling and trying to make it seem as if no one should have ever expected a Days Gone sequel. Doesn't it get boring being a console warrior weasel and never having an authentic opinion about anything?
Warrior weasel 😅

saintjules

How about posting the text instead of giving clicks to the arrogant cunt Schrier?
The tweets embedded in the original post should give the initial jist of what's being discussed. If you don't like that you can just ignore thread and move on?

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Listen if you like AAA games that that are walking movie simulator games, then this is good news for you. Personally what attracts me to PlayStation is games with different gameplay like bloodborne, gravity rush, persona. I’m just sad at the new direction Sony is going in and I just don’t know if I’m gonna play the ps5 much this gen, no Days gone sequel is just sa

Now as far as the last of us remake, I have a feeling they gonna make Joel look more crazier and really feel like he is truly a bad guy, so it would make people like Abby more.

All I gotta say is I love the ps1-2 and ps4(somewhat). An it seems the days of AA games with at least some good marketing is over for Sony.

Omegaking

Banned
Sony is getting ready for a shake-up of the global economy. stop taking things personal, the time for taking risks has passed.

Last edited:

Elios83

Should journalists honestly care about companies marketing plans?

The news that the leadership team of Visual Art Service group has left. You might not be concerned but it's a new story given their parent company and the circumstances of their departure.

So now you're admitting that he has just spoiled plans but you've changed the point to "as a journalist he should't care".
The article is simply not news worthy besides the spoilers on the games under development (or not under development).
Sony has been about big AAA releases the whole PS4 gen and that's precisely why they created their reputation as a first party power house.
This article is just an excuse to spoil some plans (and ND is always a target in his articles....I wonder why). It's a Kotaku-level thing that he needed to dress as some Bloomberg worthy scoop.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s Schreier so lots of salt needed as he tends to almost always be up his own ass.

If true, this would just be in line with modern creatively bankrupt Sony. They have gone downhill since 2016

Last edited:
(...)

hes-right-you-know.jpg

Withnail

Listen if you like AAA games that that are walking movie simulator games, then this is good news for you. Personally what attracts me to PlayStation is games with different gameplay like bloodborne, gravity rush, persona. I’m just sad at the new direction Sony is going in and I just don’t know if I’m gonna play the ps5 much this gen, no Days gone sequel is just sa

Now as far as the last of us remake, I have a feeling they gonna make Joel look more crazier and really feel like he is truly a bad guy, so it would make people like Abby more.

All I gotta say is I love the ps1-2 and ps4(somewhat). An it seems the days of AA games with at least some good marketing is over for Sony.

How does this "news" affect Persona?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Not a ton of real substance here but it would make sense to why they are pushing for some cross gen stuff like Horizon and putting more stuff on PC. If they are doubling down on AAA then they have to be successful in every metric. Bigger risk but bigger reward. My concern would be someone like Bend. If they release something that doesnt light the charts on fire would be they absorbed into another studio?

Terenty

Why is it such a big surprise for anyone? The whole last gen(ps4) was one bubblegum zero creativity project after another from their first party studios that made them bank.

Sony is a business, why would their change anything in their approach? On the contrary, the most sensible thing is to double down on the most safest route possible and spend giant budgets on graphics and familiar gameplay tropes that sell millions.

Expect the same 3rd person "cinematic experiences" that got old 5 years ago and you won't be disappointed.

ethomaz

Banned
Exactly.

IMO Days Gones sequel was not expected to exits... PC version was a hope to maybe the sequel exists and it still had change to that... that makes sense like I said.

One doesn’t deny the other.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
And yet we're called stupid and delusional fanboys for hating Jim Ryan.

This guy has no fuck ass clue what makes PlayStation great.

You're telling me the reason theres been no TLOU 2 PS5 update is because they're wasting resources on a TLOU1 Remake?!?! GTFO
Keep in mind this ‘news’ is from 2018.
Jim Ryan didn’t take over until 2019.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeh this is true. Japan studio alone was responsible for a ton of experimental stuff but we all know what's happening to them.

This probably explains why they were apparently aggressively attempting to pay for 3rd party exclusives to offset that but we all know how that has turned out.

We are entering a phase of the industry when owning your own studios and IP is going to be increasingly important because of the rise of the subscription service but these guys are going to be left in the cold if they think what they have now will be sufficient.
You'd think it would be straightforward for Sony too... since they are all into Anime and films.

Capcom, Square and Sega all have IP's that could be turned into films and Anime.

I mean, this year alone PlayStation division made enough to afford Sega. It wouldn't take long to pay something like that off and would increase their Revenue.
They's also have some strategy games to go to PC and make that crowd happy.

Reactions: GHG

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Call me crazy but I think a lot of people are buying a PlayStation partially because of all the smaller games, even though they do not buy these games or even play them.

GHG

Gold Member

In terms of sales this has always been true though.

In the past one thing you could always rely on playstation to deliver was unique exclusive games. Even in the darkest hour they were still releasing games like Folklore and allowing Naughty Dog to experiment with new concepts in what was to be a new IP in Uncharted.

If they don't allow for flexibility and experimentation how do you even arrive at creating the next big new IP in gaming? With the mindset they have now Uncharted 1 never happens or it does happen but then it never gets a sequel. I have no idea what the fuck they are thinking. Experimental and unique single player games are what enabled PlayStation to become what it is today.

Last edited:

Valentino

I hate this idea of games coinciding with their on screen counterpart. It only ever comes across as business (well it is) and not something developers want to do - which makes me inspect the game more on a superficially level. I really don’t want to hear “this was the true vision we had, but due to the ps3 limits.....” because you can say that about every game. They could say it about the TLoU2, I’m sure there were so many ideas they’d like to keep in that game, but its a product of its time. Keep it like that.

reksveks

So now you're admitting that he has just spoiled plans but you've changed the point to "as a journalist he should't care".
The article is simply not news worthy besides the spoilers on the games under development (or not under development).
Sony has been about big AAA releases the whole PS4 gen and that's precisely why they created their reputation as a first party power house.
This article is just an excuse to spoil some plans (and ND is always a target in his articles....I wonder why). It's a Kotaku-level thing that he needed to dress as some Bloomberg worthy scoop.
No I don't think you are using the word spoil correctly. Your definition is weird and uses a term that we use for a fictional stories in a non-fictional context. If Jason just posted a article saying that ND are working on TLOU remake, then you might be slightly more correct in using the word spoils but I would make use leaks/reveals.

I think the fact that Sony's focus on AAA has cause some devs to leave or ask for a new project is interesting and newsworthy.

Ogbert

For the record, can any Xbox fanboys who refused to be critical of Xbox when phil was serving up nothing but halo/gears/Forza last gen please shut the fuck up. You know who you are.
Everyone laid into MS for that. Gears, in particular, has gone from being the coolest shooter game to a tired shadow of its former self. The next episode needs to completely reinvent itself.

But MS are actually doing that. In two years time, when their output starts to roll off the conveyer belt, they will have a stream of different titles.

Why is Sony changing? Their approach worked. Big titles complimented by smaller games with dedicated fans.

And a Last of Us remake? Sweet Lord, enough. It’s been flogged to death.

Last edited:

Withnail

Why is it such a big surprise for anyone? The whole last gen(ps4) was one bubblegum zero creativity project after another from their first party studios that made them bank.

Sony is a business, why would their change anything in their approach? On the contrary, the most sensible thing is to double down on the most safest route possible and spend giant budgets on graphics and familiar gameplay tropes that sell millions.

Expect the same 3rd person "cinematic experiences" that got old 5 years ago and you won't be disappointed.

I must have imagined Dreams, Concrete Genie, Sackboy, Astrobot and all the VR games, etc. (and I could go on.)

Mr.ODST

Could see this happening a mile off, its a shame as what made Playstation great was its experimental games that really pushed boundaries of how games are played but also creativity.

MS has completely turned this around from their point of view and seems tables have turned (so far), will see what PS will announce as they will most likely do something to deflect alot of this negative attention recently.

Plus Jason is a massive fanboy aswell for Sony so he 100% has some knowledge of whats happening.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

Since when bloodborne and persona are small games?

GHG

Gold Member
RIP Playstation

Exactly the point I've been making. The previous leadership at Sony understood this but now it seems we just have bean counters in charge trying to run a creative business like you would a legal or accounting firm.

Ogbert

“You know Ellie, this really is the last remaster.”

Who the fuck wants to re-buy GTAV?
Oh wait.

But GTA is a sandbox game with consist online updates.

LoU is a linear corridor action game. If you want to compare it to a Rockstar game, it would be Max Payne.

Apparently the Last of Us Remake will feature a more fleshed out retelling of the Bill character. They felt him being gay was too subtle so now, along with the note telling you he was gay you can also find LGBT flags and lube in his house and they’ve changed his animations to make him prance about more.

A separate side quest has been made where he asks you to go to the Fireflys HQ and ask them to make a Gay Pride cake with calamitous consequences

Jaysen

Banned
Call me crazy but I think a lot of people are buying a PlayStation partially because of all the smaller games, even though they do not buy these games or even play them.
Most people buy consoles for FIFA and COD. As long as third parties prefer the PS, they’ll be fine. Genshin Impact is a lame weeb game, but it’s hugely popular and the only console it’s on is PS. That’s a huge advantage for Sony.

Moonjt9

Lotta people shitting on Jim Ryan here but all I see from that article is Hermen Hulst pulling triggers. Hard to tell what exactly is going on in reality, and if some of this stuff is even real or just over exaggerated as Schreier is wont to do.

Elios83

No I don't think you are using the word spoil correctly. Your definition is weird and uses a term that we use for a fictional stories in a non-fictional context. If Jason just posted a article saying that ND are working on TLOU remake, then you might be slightly more correct in using the word spoils but I would make use leaks/reveals.

I think the fact that Sony's focus on AAA has cause some devs to leave or ask for a new project is interesting and newsworthy.

I use ''spoil'' in the sense that he's announcing things that should be under wraps thus ruining the surprise (we know now that they're working on TLOU remake and a new Uncharted) and potentially marketing plans. Not to mention that he tries to add a negative layer to the whole thing that is arguable at best.
I don't think that the news about certain big games being in development should be announced in the context of a negative article so he's damaging/spoiling them.
But yeah since english is not my native language thanks for the suggestion to use other words like leaks in this context.

Last edited:
Top Bottom