• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jax's MK11 Tower Ending gets HELLA WOKE! (AKA: Wakanda Ending)

Enygger_Tzu

Banned

Preachy? Check!
Liberal infused? Check!
Hard Left-leaning? Check!
Regressive agenda? Check!
Character assasination? Check!
"I ain't waiting for people to get woke"? CHECK!

I knew MK11 had some serious axe to grind with fans that liked fanservice but, but! Oh well, this game is hard pass for me and I hope it is the same for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Seems like a terrible ending, sure, I agree there, but if they want to make the black guy a stereotype, then it shouldn't be bothering you, unless you are black and feel demeaned or if you really liked Jax as a character. Outrage culture is always something one should be worried about, no matter which side. Also, isn't Klassic Tower just the arcade mode, or have they dropped story mode? Can't remember how it worked as MK9 was the last one I played. Are the other endings "serious"?
Also, cringed at the use of the word "woke".

Paracelsus

You realise the irony of getting all outraged about this, right?

The only irony is people strawmanning constantly about a horseshoe that is just not there. If x removes fanservice from games or writes characters in a completely delusional cringeworthy way and y complains about it, the only ass in the argument is x. "Let me have my way by shitting on videogames or you're a snowflake". You see how demented it sounds?

Last edited:
Being righteously offended, but not in the same way the reseteras are righteously offended, looks exactly the same from the outside.

I'd wonder whether how it would be viewed as "righteously offended" (or you talking about the unnecessary mention of "WHITE MALE" in the OP, perhaps?), OP merely points out the dislike for the weird turn on the character.

If your favorite character, or a character you really care for, suddenly goes in an odd political direction that completely ignores their previous characterization, does that involve "righteous offense"? No, it's the acknowledgment of bad portrayal of a character. Even more so when it lacks the character development to justify it and it itself clearly makes a political hot take (the ending literally uses the word woke, unironically)..

26-evil-captain-america.w700.h700.jpg

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
I'd wonder whether how it would be viewed as "righteously offended" (or you talking about the unnecessary mention of "WHITE MALE" in the OP, perhaps?), OP merely points out the dislike for the weird turn on the character.

If your favorite character, or a character you really care for, suddenly goes in an odd political direction that completely ignores their previous characterization, does that involve "righteous offense"? No, it's the acknowledgment of bad portrayal of a character. Even more so when it lacks the character development to justify it and it itself clearly makes a political hot take (the ending literally uses the word woke, unironically)..

26-evil-captain-america.w700.h700.jpg

I think theyre using the word tongue in cheek.

there are still 2 huge differences

1. Resetera would ban you for thinking LOL these SJW
2. Unlike these woke people we do not want to ban and abolish these kind of games. We just make fun of it^^

This is true, its the guy in the mk hype thread going super ragey over it

Geki-D

Banned
Being righteously offended, but not in the same way the reseteras are righteously offended, looks exactly the same from the outside.
I know, right.

The ending is kind of whack but it is ultimately not canon so it's not a massive deal. I'm not too sure how it's character assassination though. I really don't remember Jax having too much of a character to begin with in MK9 & X. We in no way could judge is opinion on this kind of thing, at least.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
The ending is kind of whack but it is ultimately not canon so it's not a massive deal. I'm not too sure how it's character assassination though. I really don't remember Jax having too much of a character to begin with in MK9 & X.

No non-winner fighter in fighting games ending was canon, but that is a problem, we see Jax's character in all of his games and comic adaptations, to go from what he is, to this progressive activist is a stretch, and it is done for nothing but to score woke points.

angelic

Banned
I know, right.

The ending is kind of whack but it is ultimately not canon so it's not a massive deal. I'm not too sure how it's character assassination though. I really don't remember Jax having too much of a character to begin with in MK9 & X. We in no way could judge is opinion on this kind of thing, at least.

Im not offended by those people, i just think theyre dicks. You're stalking me now, so goodbye to you.

angelic

Banned
No non-winner fighter in fighting games ending was canon, but that is a problem, we see Jax's character in all of his games and comic adaptations, to go from what he is, to this progressive activist is a stretch, and it is done for nothing but to score woke points.

Obviously. But the point is getting outraged by it is hypocritical.

Even if you don't agree with his post, I do hope you clicked his link. It's even funnier after seeing the post directly above me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Im not offended by those people
So offended it's obvious.

so goodbye to you.
But:
Ignore-signalling is the most tragic thing you can do on a forum.
Oh well, I guess pointing out hypocrisy hurts fee-fees the most.

Anyway.

The issue here is that you don't exactly need to be a purple haired, screaming Tumblrette to conclude, when presented with the chance to go back in time, that stopping the past slavery of your people is a decent idea. If there was a Jewish character who went back and murdered Hitler, I doubt anyone would really point it out.

Last edited:
Half my posts are me saying things are shit, but im not offended by them. You really aren't very bright if you think you're "outing" me. I've been posting bile for 6 years. Also, bye.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
At least I'm bright enough to know fighting games should be 60FPS over graphics. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
The issue here is that you don't exactly need to be a purple haired, screaming Tumblrette to conclude, when presented with the chance to go back in time, that stopping the past slavery of your people is a decent idea. If there was a Jewish character who went back and murdered Hitler, I doubt anyone would pretty point it out.

Stopping slavery is good and all, however, are we sure that what we see the setting of Jax's ending is Africa and not the USA? Because Jax's line about "I am not going to wait for people to get woke" is highly suspicious.

Also, if you are going to make Jax, a person who was more than proud to serve his country and his realm in extension a political activist, why then not go to the extra mile and just make sure he maked Holocaust never happened, the Greek and Armenian genocide never happened, Holodomor never happend etc.

This kind of tribalism is foreign to Jax and it has never been brought up on him until this ending, so yes, it raises suspicions.

Geki-D

Banned
Stopping slavery is good and all, however, are we sure that what we see the setting of Jax's ending is Africa and not the USA? Because Jax's line about "I am not going to wait for people to get woke" is highly suspicious.

Also, if you are going to make Jax, a person who was more than proud to serve his country and his realm in extension a political activist, why then not go to the extra mile and just make sure he maked Holocaust never happened, the Greek and Armenian genocide never happened, Holodomor never happend etc.

This kind of tribalism is foreign to Jax and it has never been brought up on him until this ending, so yes, it raises suspicions.
I'm not saying I like the ending, I just don't think it's all that big a deal and you can rationalise it. Ultimately Jax's character in this ending and the decisions he makes are about as canon as the ending itself.

It probably was made to score some SJW points by some dev but at least it was done in a non-official side story. I don't like it but that's sort of how the cookie crumbles. We can't say devs can make what they want when SJWs are telling them to remove violence against women but then tell them they can't make stuff like this. As long as it doesn't negatively affect the game's plot & logic I'll go along with it.

I'm not a hypocrite like some other ignore-happy people here.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
not saying I like the ending, I just don't think it's all that big a deal and you can rationalise it. Ultimately Jax's character in this ending and the decisions he makes are about as canon as the ending itself.

It probably was made to score some SJW points by some dev but at least it was done in a non-official side story. I don't like it but that's sort of how the cookie crumbles. We can't say devs can make what they want when SJWs are telling them to remove violence against women but then tell them they can't make stuff like this. As long as it doesn't negatively affect the game's plot & logic I'll go along with it.

I think there is a misunderstanding, non-canon does not imply that this ending is not consistent with the character's personality and lore, or that it can sink the character to lows he had never been sunk or use him as a proxy to alienate a big part of their core base.

Especially if you have taken a campaign on the best part of your userbase with the slogan that your game has become more "mature" and "respectful" and then use one of your oldest characters as proxy to draw a political line that separates said userbase.

I, for one am against SJWs trying to push me and mine away from my hobby and killing characters I like and respect to make them fit their agendas. So I will speak against it.

I think there is a misunderstanding, non-canon does not imply that this ending is not consistent with the character's personality and lore, or that it can sink the character to lows he had never been sunk or use him as a proxy to alienate a big part of their core base.

Especially if you have taken a campaign on the best part of your userbase with the slogan that your game has become more "mature" and "respectful" and then use one of your oldest characters as proxy to draw a political line that separates said userbase.

I, for one am against SJWs trying to push me and mine away from my hobby and killing characters I like and respect to make them fit their agendas. So I will speak against it.

But a non-canon ending can be taken jokingly or ridiculously or parodically. I think that might be the best approach to this. Think of it like the Silent Hill UFO endings.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
But a non-canon ability can be taken jokingly or ridiculously or parodically. I think that might be the best approach to this. Think of it like the Silent Hill UFO endings.

Oh, yes, I agree, 100% an ending can it be parodical, it can be satirical and it can be done in a joking manner, and it can bring a different more light-hearted note to the character, like the TTT2 endings, most of them were parodical and light-hearted in nature, but this is not what this is about, for better or worse this is not what this ending and this character motivation is about....

Top Bottom