• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

So, uh, cybersquatting is illegal, right?

Well, it's most certainly against the ToS of Twitter. But did Susan ever care about ToS or guidelines?

Twitter said:
"Attempts to sell or extort other forms of payment in exchange for usernames will result in account suspension."

https://support.twitter.com/forums/26257/entries/18370,#

Nkoe6YR.jpg

Shaneus

I guess Twitter will be 'upgrading' their ToS to fit Suscams entrepreneurial vision, then.

Well, there's a chance they might not, because she's not actually impersonating a 9 year old now, and Twitter likely wouldn't get as much bad press for banning a 43 year old cybersquatter.

Impersonating is also against the ToS of Twitter, btw.

You know, like when you pretend to be your daughter. *cough* https://twitter.com/gamerceo *cough*

Shaneus said:
Poor kids. They must've felt downright humiliated.

Or they were all drooling and like: "Wow, we're in American Pie, dude!"

inm8num2

Well, there's a chance they might not, because she's not actually impersonating a 9 year old now, and Twitter likely wouldn't get as much bad press for banning a 43 year old cybersquatter.

Impersonating is also against the ToS of Twitter, btw.

You know, like when you pretend to be your daughter. *cough* https://twitter.com/gamerceo *cough*

GamerCEO is actually Suscam? Wow I never would have thought with such convincing posts as this:

Look where I am @emgoreun? Can u ask @gatesfoundation & @unfoundation to help me get coding clubs in elem schools? pic.twitter.com/0w4TH0bXGy

inm8num2

Also, check out that awesome Alienware laptop.

I wonder where the funds for that were reallocated since the laptop became free? Or did Suscam not update her budget breakdown? Actually, she asked backers to come up with budgets for her - I guess they didn't meet her entrepreneurial standards so the budget and spending remain for entrepreneurial eyes only.

I wonder where the funds for that were reallocated since the laptop became free? Or did Suscam not update her budget breakdown? Actually, she asked backers to come up with budgets for her - I guess they didn't meet her entrepreneurial standards so the budget and spending remain for entrepreneurial eyes only.

They probably got Susan a new laptop with it, because she needs to manage this whole project after all. (Or new shoes, to walk to the bank with the remaining $20K and back)

I guess we can expect a new funding campaign sooner or later. Either for a director's cut of the game, or for the inevitable sequel (which will feature more truth and more trolls. But especially more truth).

So but with approximately 2 weeks left until release, Kenzie is now "rethinking" the game. Seems a bit late in the development process. :)

I really wonder how much work has actually been done on it (since all we got to see so far are some generic screenshots, which felt like she was just getting to know the RPG Maker kit). Given that her stay at MIT Gamelab was last week, does she only really started working on it just now?

Is T&T going to be a game that you beat in like 10 minutes or so? :)

inm8num2

They probably got Susan a new laptop with it, because she needs to manage this whole project after all. (Or new shoes, to walk to the bank with the remaining $20K and back)

I guess we can expect a new funding campaign sooner or later. Either for a director's cut of the game, or for the inevitable sequel (which will feature more truth and more trolls. But especially more truth).

So but with approximately 2 weeks left until release, Kenzie is now "rethinking" the game. Seems a bit late in the development process. :)

I really wonder how much work has actually been done on it (since all we got to see so far are some generic screenshots, which felt like she was just getting to know the RPG Maker kit). Given that her stay at MIT Gamelab was last week, does she only really started working on it just now?

Is T&T going to be a game that you beat in like 10 minutes or so? :)

All the work was done by that grad student in the above pic in the one hour Suscam and her daughter visited the MIT Games Lab, most likely.

But yes, big changes coming to the game. The scope has broadened and the DRM-freeness will require additional funding.

Suscam's backers will be most eager to donate more funds to KIDS and TRUTHTELLING in order to help the game be made.

Of all the things he could have been doing with his time...

Oh, no, I think it's a good thing that he does these kinds of things (tutoring kids and stuff). And if Kenzie would actually pick up a thing or two that would be fine.

It's Susan's ways I have a problem with.

inm8num2

I meant helping kids who are more in need of the help and lack resources or means to realize their game-making goals, not the children of greedy, dishonest multimillionaires.

I meant helping kids who are more in need of the help and lack resources or means to realize their game-making goals, not the children of greedy, dishonest multimillionaires.

Still, I don't mind him helping privileged kids. Although maybe ideally he could prioritize the poorer ones.

Whether their mothers should crowd fund a budget for Philip Tans free help, supposedly to promote women in STEM, and for Boston and world peace, is a whole other thing.

Parallacs

So the game is just about two weeks out and I am hyped.

I tried pre-ordering on newegg but I couldn't find it.

I will line up at Best Buy the night before. Sure I could get it online, but I crave that DRM free disk.

inm8num2

I will line up at Best Buy the night before. Sure I could get it online, but I crave that DRM free disk.

I'm going to buy at least three boxed copies.

One to open and use.

One to keep unopened.

One to sell on ebay for profit.

Shosai

Banned

Haha! It's funny, because this kid is incapable of releasing a retail-quality game!

I'm going to buy at least three boxed copies.

One to open and use.

One to keep unopened.

One to sell on ebay for profit.

You will need another one to use as a coaster for your (insert alcoholic beverage of your preference), so that the intoxicated you might actually somewhat enjoy playing the game.

So that makes 4 copies. I already see the $$ in Susan's eyes!

inm8num2

Good news, everyone. If you missed out on a KEEP UP! Koozie or T-shirt, you can now buy them directly.

https://twitter.com/FundHer/status/357196526130442242
https://www.ribbon.co/fe1a13
I DRINK LIKE A GIRL...KEEP UP! Is there any better koozie than that? A bottle koozie is the only thing better we can think of so let us know what you think? Remember, you're fun. We're fun. STEM is fun! So relax and have fun with us knowing proceeds will go to support girls and women (and perhaps some boys along the way) in STEM!

https://twitter.com/FundHer/status/357203241383124992

I Code Like a Girl...KEEP UP! women's t-shirt via @Ribbon! http://rbn.co/d73ec0 . U DECIDE WHAT U WANT TO PAY! pic.twitter.com/F29VgObtLU

https://www.ribbon.co/d73ec0

We're letting YOU NAME THE PRICE w/a minimum of $9.99 because ALL PROCEEDS benefit girls & women in STEM! Women's fitted t-shirt with 2-sided printing. KEEP UP! is printed on the back so by definition, anyone behind you reading it needs to KEEP UP!

Vibranium

Banned
Haha! It's funny, because this kid is incapable of releasing a retail-quality game!

In his defence, people aren't making fun of Kenzie's game, they're making fun of Suscam's attempts make the game into a money-making venture that would make Bobby Kotick wish he had such a popular franchise. She's spent all this stupid time putting up "concept art" and arranging "preorder bonuses". Wilson's basically trying make it a big success for herself by fooling other people when in reality her daughter just wants play around with games and basically be a normal kid who watches tv shows/anime.

So yeah, everything here is not mean-spirited towards her in the least and is mainly sarcastic. Susan however, deserves every bit for the lack of integrity she's shown as a person.

Muku

I come back from vacation and find this floating around still. All this stuff, including KS's "apology" on that horrible Kickstarter... just amazing. And wow, it's releasing at the end of this month? Worst. Birthday. Ever.

I come back from vacation and find this floating around still. All this stuff, including KS's "apology" on that horrible Kickstarter... just amazing. And wow, it's releasing at the end of this month? Worst. Birthday. Ever.

It's just Susan's way of giving back to you! I'm sure you'll get a discount on a koozie to celebrate your birthday!

SunueLA.jpg

This is awesome. Two weeks before release, @gamerCEO Kenzie is looking into "switching engines" from RPGMaker to Unity. :)

What about all the generic screenshots? Will we not see those awesome generic levels in the final game? If they want a playable game ASAP, maybe they could hire someone to make it for them quickly, and give them the $24k.

FJFj8lT.jpg

Also: Susan feeds Kenzie wine.

X8Kt0cR.jpg

inm8num2

This is awesome. Two weeks before release, @gamerCEO Kenzie is looking into "switching engines" from RPGMaker to Unity. :)

What about all the generic screenshots? Will we not see those awesome generic levels in the final game? If they want a playable game ASAP, maybe they could hire someone to make it for them quickly, and give them the $24k.

FJFj8lT.jpg

X8Kt0cR.jpg

Good god...

I'd love it if some gaming sites that covered this "controversy" previously now reported the switch to Unity.

LOL.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Switching to Unity AND a little girl drinking wine? Someone call Kotaku! It's the scoop of the century!

I love reading foobarry's posts in George Costanza's voice.

Good god...

I'd love it if some gaming sites that covered this "controversy" previously now reported the switch to Unity.

LOL.

Diggeh said:
Switching to Unity AND a little girl drinking wine? Someone call Kotaku! It's the scoop of the century!

Yeah, you'd expect some of the early Susan fans in the media to actually follow up on this amazing story of that 9 year old girl making a game.

Also Unity! We can expect a Wii U port now for sure! (and 2 new Kickstarters to fund both the switch to the new engine and the port to the Wii U.) Imagine all the house wives playing Truth and Trolls instead of Wii U Fit and sending their kids to Susan's summer camps!

Muku

I love reading foobarry's posts in George Costanza's voice.

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this, haha!

It's just Susan's way of giving back to you! I'm sure you'll get a discount on a koozie to celebrate your birthday!

SunueLA.jpg

Dear god, LOL. And she couldn't give me money to download her girls game. And it's not because I hate kids, but after this whole thing, I couldn't take that stolen money.

BTW, is it wrong I feel dirty seeing Susan say my name?

Though, I just might need a koozie if I were to get the game..

OH and now switching to Unity? Brilliant. Someone should tell her to stick with RPG Maker then go to Unity next project. But still, think it'd be something she'd really need to play with for a while. Can't speak for complexity of RPG Maker as I've never touched it, but I imagine it's a lot easier and quicker to throw something out of that then it is in Unity.

FJFj8lT.jpg

X8Kt0cR.jpg

Not a single word that has supposedly come out of Kenzie's mouth via postings or Twitter sounds like an actual 9-year-old. Not a one.

Not a single word that has supposedly come out of Kenzie's mouth via postings or Twitter sounds like an actual 9-year-old. Not a one.

Kenzie is just a very mature 9 year old. ;-)

OH and now switching to Unity? Brilliant. Someone should tell her to stick with RPG Maker then go to Unity next project. But still, think it'd be something she'd really need to play with for a while. Can't speak for complexity of RPG Maker as I've never touched it, but I imagine it's a lot easier and quicker to throw something out of that then it is in Unity.

To me this tells me that they have problems of getting around in RPGMaker already, and are slowly going into panic mode. :)

This is the thing with Susan. The only thing she understands is money. She never even thought it over that maybe Kenzie lacks the skill required for making a game. (Or if she doesn't, at least needs a reasonable amount of time for it) Liking games is not the same as being able to make 'em. And just because she's a girl doesn't mean she can do anything. She clearly underestimated that, and likely figured making a game is something you do overnight. Because all game makers are dumbasses. They're men after all.

Parallacs

Haha. My birthday was April 19th. My birthday present was watching her kickstarter end on the same day.

I'm glad it didn't get cancelled beforehand. I enjoy watching trainwrecks.

inm8num2

The only people for whom this will end badly are the backers. Some of them are probably ready to fork over more cash.

If I had more time I'd find an earlier post in this thread where I'm pretty sure I predicted this would happen. The game scope 'expands', the game gets 'delayed', and Suscam runs off with $25k.

Of course the "game" (if we're being generous) will come out at some point, and the backers will delude themselves into thinking it was worth the extra wait and extra cash.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would go on that them changing engines when the whole point of the campaign was to send her to RPG Maker Camp is completely against what they funded, but we're way beyond that point now.

Unity is a good engine for practice and development in 3D space, but not for your first game as you're literally still have such little grasp of how to use RPG Maker beyond the simplest stuff. A Unity-based RPG takes time, effort, practice, skill, knowledge of the engine, etc.

I believe the game will get done if they stick to RPG Maker (albeit, probably as some crappy RPG Maker game as opposed to anything substantial or well-made), but at the very least they make a game. I do not believe that a game will be made if they 'switch' over to Unity. Ignoring the fact there's like, nothing transferable between Unity and RPG Maker and thus anything they have 'done' thus far would be able to transfer into the 'new' project, but it just strikes that she's is definitely going to get bored of the project part of the way through or not have the skills to finish the game at this point in time, or the patience.

This has nothing to do with 'girl power' or 'let's show those boys we can do it!,' nor do I believe it ever has been outside of a skewered 'reason' made to help push the fund raising, this is about a kid making a video game, and I can tell you while it is natural as a kid to push the scope of your game idea into impossible territory, it won't get done as you need far more experience, work your way up the ladder, learn from mistakes and keep trying if you have the passion for it. I would say that her switching engines and learning the hard way isn't a bad thing, except that one TINY little fact people paid for this.You don't need to pay a child to make their first game, they'll make it if they want to, there's nothing they're even really were funding outside of a scam class and while I'm all for a child taking on an endeavor they're interested in, there is no reason for her to have needed to go to camp to learn how to us RPG Maker (there, again, are great tutorials online AND a pretty helpful document in RPG Maker to teach you the basics), make money an innovator for a child early on to make video games (game developing is not an easy job, you need to have the passion for it and take the time and discipline to craft your ability, patience and commitment, and talent for it), and I was suspecting as a young girl she may grow bored of all of this and want to change things up 'to make things interesting' (grass on the other side always seems greener, she's 'obtained; the methods and ridiculous funding to make an RPG Maker game, now she wants Unity since that engine can 'do more' ignoring the fact there is a BIG difference between the two and aren't even in the same class of skills required).

spookyfish

Unity is a good engine for practice and development in 3D space, but not for your first game as you're literally still have such little grasp of how to use RPG Maker beyond the simplest stuff. A Unity-based RPG takes time, effort, practice, skill, knowledge of the engine, etc.

See, here's where the cynic in me would say "Well, they (she) has to have a reason when the deliverable is ultimately delayed indefinitely."

Top Bottom