• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jax's MK11 Tower Ending gets HELLA WOKE! (AKA: Wakanda Ending)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And? It's a video game where, among other things, an older Johnny Cage fights his younger self. Acting like consistency is sacred here is like blasting the WWE for a silly plot line... that ship sailed a long time ago.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect or demand consistency from the writers. Just because some things were done poorly in the past doesn't mean it is acceptable to continue to do things poorly.

Arkage

Banned
What's ironic about taking a pro-family, pro-military man and then ruining him by making him something he was not in the past 10 games he started over 25 games ago: a proggresive activist in the last moment?

Well at least you're admitting that conservatives wouldn't want to prevent the historical horrors of slavery if given the chance :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
hqdefault.jpg

People didn't complain about this back then.

Probably because they weren't pussies.

I agree with a lot of this, I just felt like adding one thing though. Everyone injects politics into everything, not just SJWs. There are random "uh oh white cis male!" sarcstic comments in the Days Gone threads that weren't prompted by anything. I get these comments are meant to poke fun at SJW culture but it's still injecting politics into a discussion/game that has nothing to do with that. In my opinion, anyway.

It would be nice if just once in awhile there could be silence on the political front from both sides for a big new game. But I think we are well past that point, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, to be sure, left/right it sucks in general how politicized in general gaming has become, remember when it just didn't used to be this way?

hqdefault.jpg

Now, that certainly changes things if there's a precedent for this sort of thing in the series already.

Azurro

Banned
Probably pretty late in the thread to complain but...well, that was embarrassing. I was going to buy the game when I could get it for 40 euro or less, but now I think I'll just watch the cutscenes in youtube.

Shmunter

Is it the ending that people hate, or is it the SJW’s.

The game set itself up as a Woke feast leading up to the release and people are disgruntled.

Sub_Level

I knew this happened before! Thank you!

Imagine if Metal Gear Solid 1 or Final Fantasy VII came out today. They would be called out for being too political or anti-American or some shit.

Probably pretty late in the thread to complain but...well, that was embarrassing. I was going to buy the game when I could get it for 40 euro or less, but now I think I'll just watch the cutscenes in youtube.

Even in youtube form, MK11 is still superior to other fighters' story modes so enjoy fam.

Ulysses 31

hqdefault.jpg

Eh, there's no emphases on correcting history just for certain people, also this is an ending of a new character in the series at that point.

Both these endings are silly but Jax's one seems way more infused with SJW wishful thinking. :p

Please do not hide behind accusation of 'everyone is racist' like in your closing line. If this user persists, please report them
The posts in these threads have me giving a lot of posters the side eye. Whenever you think your supposed to be "progressing" socially, leave it to the internet to put you back in your place. Anyone offended or outraged by Jax's ending must be racist. I would think it would be most black people's "wishful thinking" that slavery never existed and the world was truly an even playing field. So as an African American character in the game where he fights for the US military, not a fictional one, why would it be far fetched that he would want to end slavery, or stop it from starting. There are many black people who proudly served in the military only to be served a shitshow of social issues when they return "home" to the country they proudly fought for. Black people fought/fight for this country because of the values that its supposed to uphold for all citizens not the bullshit reality of a system built against them.

The ending never implied that white genocide, it showed a portrait of what life would look like for black people had they not been stripped of their heritage and culture over the last couple centuries. They can wear their cultural garments without being looked at a certain way or insulted, or implied that they are lesser than or "savage" for doing so. I

If you want to take the position that you don't want real life issues portrayed in your video games, I guess that's fair, but be that was across the board when it comes to all games. To be "outraged" suggests that you have some deep rooted issues against black people,

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't playing fighting games anymore, but I played SFII and Tekken back in the 90s like most gamers.

I'm surprised people give a shit about Jax's ending.

It's not like fighting games have Oscar worthy plots. You can basically button mash a character's intro and ending in 3 seconds, and then do the more important thing....... restart matches from the menu screen.

It's like someone playing a Mario or Sonic game and complaining the ending sucked.

Hobo Box

Neo Member
Anyone offended or outraged by Jax's ending must be racist.
Kind of an extreme stance to take, but okay. Personally I'm not offended, nor am I outraged. I'm simply annoyed. It's a shittily-written, lazy ending that uses a fan-favorite character to pander. That's enough of a reason to dislike it in my opinion.
I'd recommend not making broad sweeping statements while applying labels like 'racist' in the future, however. You massively devalue what the word means when you label people so freely.

The ending never implied that white genocide, it showed a portrait of what life would look like for black people had they not been stripped of their heritage and culture over the last couple centuries.
I don't think anyone in this thread has implied that it has; in fact, people laughed at the moron who made the video stating that it was about white genocide. I agree that anyone saying white genocide was a theme in this ending is taking it too far and can have their opinion safely discarded.

If you want to take the position that you don't want real life issues portrayed in your video games, I guess that's fair, but be that was across the board when it comes to all games. To be "outraged" suggests that you have some deep rooted issues against black people,
I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but yes, I do disagree with real-world issues being portrayed in a game like Mortal Kombat.
And once again, I'd suggest not pretending to know people's motives based on their opinions regarding a video game.

Jon Neu

Banned
The posts in these threads have me giving a lot of posters the side eye.

Yeah, it happened to me when I read this bullshit of some user:

Anyone offended or outraged by Jax's ending must be racist.

If you don't like SJW's tropes you must be wacist!

The epitome of intellectual honesty.

So as an African American character in the game where he fights for the US military, not a fictional one, why would it be far fetched that he would want to end slavery, or stop it from starting.

I don't fucking care if he wants to end slavery (though I love how hypocritical and revisionist is the game by presenting slavery as only a white on black thing, which is text book SJW fantasy).

But fair enough, a black dude wanting to liberate his poor people. Who the hell cares, literally nobody.

The problem here is that they are infusing the game with so many SJW politics is not even funny. "I ain't waiting for people to get woke", "Make Outworld Great Again", "we respect women so no sexy outfits for them".

Do you really expect people to hear this bullshit and not vomit for the cringe and for the ridiculous SJW's doctrine being shoved down people's throats?

By the way, would they do a character that travels back in time and stops africans from enslaving white people? No, because that part of history doesn't conform with their ideology and they would be accused of being racist by all the media and the likes like you.

Black people fought/fight for this country because of the values that its supposed to uphold for all citizens not the bullshit reality of a system built against them.

What system is built against them? There's literally millions spend in the black community every year for black people to have a better life. Maybe one day you should stop blaming the white men for everything bad that happens to black people and hold them accountable for their own development.

Black people fought for the USA like everybody else did, they don't deserve a especial treatment.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Really?

I just watched the ending. Did that seriously trigger you?

You have bigger problems than a Jax ending.

Good god.

Azurro

Banned
Really?

I just watched the ending. Did that seriously trigger you?

You have bigger problems than a Jax ending.

Good god.

Don't know, why does me not buying a game trigger you? I don't know what part of my response says I'm "triggered", but whatever.

Between the woke comments from the developers, the microtransactions and actual "woke" endings, I just don't feel like buying it anymore. I only buy them occasionally for the single player, so it's not like it's a hard thing to do.

Now, why are you annoyed at people choosing not to support "woke" moralistic campaigns?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Now, why are you annoyed at people choosing not to support "woke" moralistic campaigns?

Because it's not "woke" and the outrage is stupid. And because of that, I'm annoyed. Oh wait. Am I now supposed to care abou t who are crying to the high heavens about how I'm not supposed to be annoyed? Maybe I'm supposed to be annoyed.

Did someone sign off on whom I'm supposed to be annoyed with? Because I can do that.

Azurro

Banned
Because it's not "woke" and the outrage is stupid. And because of that, I'm annoyed. Oh wait. Am I now supposed to care abou t who are crying to the high heavens about how I'm not supposed to be annoyed? Maybe I'm supposed to be annoyed.

Did someone sign off on whom I'm supposed to be annoyed with? Because I can do that.

I don't know man, it's your choice to be annoyed. I mean, part of the job of the publisher and developers is to sell the game, and if it seems the microtransactions are overbearing, then the designers go on twitter antagonizing people that don't like the character design changes and then silly endings are added, then they kind of failed at selling the game to me.

If it's a sales success then good for them, but me personally I just don't feel like buying something with those preachy messages.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I don't know man, it's your choice to be annoyed. I mean, part of the job of the publisher and developers is to sell the game, and if it seems the microtransactions are overbearing, then the designers go on twitter antagonizing people that don't like the character design changes and then silly endings are added, then they kind of failed at selling the game to me.

If it's a sales success then good for them, but me personally I just don't feel like buying something with those preachy messages.
Sure. And me as a consumer (and let's be real... anyone), I'm allowed to call people out on sexist and racist bullshit.

Oh, and hey... Call them out on their microtransaction bullshit. You'll get no argument from me.

Azurro

Banned
Sure. And me as a consumer (and let's be real... anyone), I'm allowed to call people out on sexist and racist bullshit.

You know? You set the bar so low to call people "sexist" and "racist" that it doesn't really say anything that you just called me that.

Sure, whatever man.

lock2k

Banned
The problem I have with this is the fact that it reduces Jax into "black character".

Example... in the 80's and 90's no one referred to Eddie Murphy as black actor. Everyone thought of him as a funny and great actor.

This kind of ending reduces Jax from badass mofo to black character and it does no justice to him. No one ever cared what Jax looked like. People like him because he is strong and badass.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The problem I have with this is the fact that it reduces Jax into "black character".

Example... in the 80's and 90's no one referred to Eddie Murphy as black actor. Everyone thought of him as a funny and great actor.

This kind of ending reduces Jax from badass mofo to black character and it does no justice to him. No one ever cared what Jax looked like. People like him because he is strong and badass.

I feel like that is a general issue with this generation. Do you remember Blade or Spawn? They weren't celebrated for being black super hero movies - but they were enjoyed either for the sillyness (Spawn) or badassness (Blade) of the films themselves.

Sub_Level

I feel like that is a general issue with this generation. Do you remember Blade or Spawn? They weren't celebrated for being black super hero movies - but they were enjoyed either for the sillyness (Spawn) or badassness (Blade) of the films themselves.

Spawn is coming to MK11 too.

Lokimaru

giphy.gif

Funny you should mention Eddy when he made the original film about a Black Utopia. Badass Mofo's from Shaft to fucking Black Dynamite(Yes I know he's a Parody) have all been Afrocentric so I alway saw Jax as continuing that trend. Also given how Jax is portrayed during the Story mode I could see his ending playing out like that. The Dude is suffering from hella PTSD thanks to becoming a revenant and the death of his wife who'd helped him cope with it. Dude has No fucks left to give. Maybe they should have had Ladder ending for Younger and Older versions of the Characters to show how their perspective had changed over the years. Look at Old Johnny, He has no time for his younger self's bullshit. Reminds me of that Lit song.

Last edited:
To be "outraged" suggests that you have some deep rooted issues against black people,
Shit! He's on to us! Everybody! Hide your klan robes!

Look, it has nothing to do with the ending itself. Under normal circumstances, you just roll your eyes a little bit at the lame ass writing and stupid premise and you move on. But with everything else going on with MK11, it is yet more evidence that there is an ideological dogma at play that they are putting ahead of being true to the series and its fans, and ahead of making a good game. Nobody really cares if Jax ends slavery. They just want to the creators to go, maybe we should've tried harder to create a better game rather than assume our customers will be happy being treated as racist, sexist, bottomless piggy banks?

Shit! He's on to us! Everybody! Hide your klan robes!

Look, it has nothing to do with the ending itself. Under normal circumstances, you just roll your eyes a little bit at the lame ass writing and stupid premise and you move on. But with everything else going on with MK11, it is yet more evidence that there is an ideological dogma at play that they are putting ahead of being true to the series and its fans, and ahead of making a good game. Nobody really cares if Jax ends slavery. They just want to the creators to go, maybe we should've tried harder to create a better game rather than assume our customers will be happy being treated as racist, sexist, bottomless piggy banks?

Like I said, if you want to critique the ending as some cliche' bs that has nothing to do with MK then thats cool. But to be OMG, clutch my pearls emotional or outraged suggests more about yourself than the ending itself.

Btw, Ummm, how as a customer are you being treated as racist by this ending?

Like I said, if you want to critique the ending as some cliche' bs that has nothing to do with MK then thats cool. But to be OMG, clutch my pearls emotional or outraged suggests more about yourself than the ending itself.
I hope you aren't confusing actual criticism from long time fans and customers as "pearl clutching". That would be extremely disrespectful to the discussion.

Btw, Ummm, how as a customer are you being treated as racist by this ending?
I was literally responding to a post, BY YOU, in which you treated everyone who has a problem with the ending as racist. The mods even called you out on that completely bullshit move.

Because that is what social justice is really about. It is a club where the people who don't belong to it are racists and sexists and white supremacists and pedophiles and every other label. By subscribing to social justice, they've put the detractors in a position where the act of detracting itself is seen as adhering to a specific negative world view - just like the detractors of Ghostbusters 2016 were misogynists and detractors of The Last Jedi were alt-right. By joining this club, they've isolated themselves from constructive criticism and put their unhappy fans in a dangerous and unwelcome social position where people feel completely free to accuse them of the most horrible beliefs without justification or consequence, and I can hate them for that alone. Unfortunately, they've given more than enough justifiable cause to hate them above and beyond that.

Hobo Box

Neo Member
I hope you aren't confusing actual criticism from long time fans and customers as "pearl clutching". That would be extremely disrespectful to the discussion.

I was literally responding to a post, BY YOU, in which you treated everyone who has a problem with the ending as racist. The mods even called you out on that completely bullshit move.

Because that is what social justice is really about. It is a club where the people who don't belong to it are racists and sexists and white supremacists and pedophiles and every other label. By subscribing to social justice, they've put the detractors in a position where the act of detracting itself is seen as adhering to a specific negative world view - just like the detractors of Ghostbusters 2016 were misogynists and detractors of The Last Jedi were alt-right. By joining this club, they've isolated themselves from constructive criticism and put their unhappy fans in a dangerous and unwelcome social position where people feel completely free to accuse them of the most horrible beliefs without justification or consequence, and I can hate them for that alone. Unfortunately, they've given more than enough justifiable cause to hate them above and beyond that.
xZmutdx.png

lock2k

Banned
At first I was like...

But then....

Also, it's downright creepy how radically things have changed since just 2011, in 2011 you had Catwoman in Arkham City and the girls in MK9 and nobody cared, now look at the state of things.

It fucking sucks. Everything went to shit in less than a decade

Weilthain

Banned
I still find the idea that anyone could even care about the story of characters in Mortal Kombat laughable. Sjw nonsense or not it’s just bizarre to me.

ksdixon

This video touches upon a point that hadn't fully occurred to me, but definitely was rolling around in the back of my head somewhere. It's not just the pandering nature of the ending, but how it comes from nowhere and is at odds with his story mode motives.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so as far as i can tell...

first MK11 was woke because it covered up all the previously sexy fighters
then it was unwoke because it had Ronda Rousey in it
then it was woke again because it had this fantasy ending
then it was unwoke because NetherRealms have dev crunch & standard toxic industry environment

this where we at now?

Last edited:
Top Bottom