• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

JeTmAn81

mT8ahYciCHvFQS7T5mA7i4Yy3KoxSEsSakaio9AfQTw.jpg

What hurts about this shit that if the Bombcast consists of Gertsmann, Ryckert, Grubb and Jan with sporadic appearances by Rorie and Backalar it would be listenable again.
Wait, they got Dan back? And Lucy James? This ain't so bad...

YukiOnna

He's high energy, zany, and unpredictable

Dude is literally what GB needs if it has any hope of success moving forward
This GB I can definitely agree. I don't think he'll be able to do it and I'm not sticking around to find out, but I'm mainly talking about his first run. I hope it works out for him out of respect at least.

bender

What time is it?
I don't know what people see in Ryckert. His hire is where I really started to get annoyed watching since it just didn't have a good dynamic for me.

While is babe in the woods routine, whether act or genuine, could be grating, there is no doubt that he has a tremendous work ethic and brought an exuberance that had long been missing from the site. He was a content monster and brought a lot of cool new features to the site. I don't begrudge anyone for disliking him (cooking eggshells) but I do think the good far outweighed the annoying. And like I mentioned about Jeff, all things aside he seems like a nice guy.

sn0man

This and what you mentioned about defaulting to woke. The constant other foruming woke everything is ridiculous. It’s grating when it filters through all the threads.

Back on topic. Jeff = GB in my heart. While I really enjoyed Dan and loved how he bounced stuff off Jeff it was the combination that worked. Like Ryan Brad and Jeff. Like Vinny Drew and Jeff. Like Jason Ben and Jeff. (Ranking of fighters. You burned too bright and now you’re gone!)

I needed a reason to remove GB from my podcast feed. Moving on.

Also even though the Nextlanders sound (from these forum reports) lukewarm on Jeff it would feel really good if they got together again. I’d love to see Alex and Vinny take on a single intern out East and Jeff and Brad have industry vets throughout the year and just do a summer session and a GOTY session.

The out of office is what finally killed GB. The evolution and Jan, Abby, Ben was fine. Grating sometimes but enjoyable and heartwarming at other times.

This GB I can definitely agree. I don't think he'll be able to do it and I'm not sticking around to find out, but I'm mainly talking about his first run. I hope it works out for him out of respect at least.
He does this "LOOK HOW DUMB I AM" bit which got old quick. I have no clue what people get out of him doing that constantly.
Dan, while disliked initially during his last run, was the main person who constantly brought childlike ideas and entirely new off the wall segments to Jeff and Vinny to be greenlit in a time where they were feeling low in spirit. He was a content machine, damn near carried the site at times, and in terms of energy he was exactly what Jeff and the crew needed after Ryan Davis passed. Who knows if this new run will be good, but regardless if you love him or hate him he had definitely earned his GB hall of fame status. I always felt like he was a lost (Bosman arc)Easy Allies member who somehow stumbled his way into GB headquarters. The sad thing is that people didn't realize how big of an impact he actually had until after he left and viewers were left with Abby and Ben to fill that void.

On a side note, whether or not you think his ignorance was a bit, he actually ended up teaching some of the younger viewers a lot of info by simply being brave enough to ask those dumb questions that no one else would.

Grechy34

no thanks. All I see is that it's pain and misery if you don't live with your parents.
We have a small flat and we both work. 30-50-100 years ago families were bigger and grandparents or family took care of the kids while parents worked.
Now it's 2022 and if you don't have enough money for a caretaker, having a kid is not for everyone...
I see all these people in pain who are telling themselves they are happy because what else are they going to do? :p

I used to think the same until I had a kid. It's extremely tough, no doubt at times but until you have children of your own it can't be explained how much joy they bring to your life.

Listening to the last Bombcast & good luck to them. I think Jeff was the odd one out in that current group and just didn't fit the mould.

I noticed on one of the last episodes he was kind of over it. I think he tried his best to re-ignite it after Vinny/Brad/Alex left but it wasn't to be. I still think he needs someone to bounce his opinions off but I definitely will follow him as his industry knowledge is second to none and he is for us older folk still passionate about older retro stuff which he has a large portfolio of experience with.

SpiceRacz

It sucks because all of these really talented, integral pieces of Giant Bomb split off and went their separate ways. What we're left with isn't completely awful. It's just that there's no substitute for the gang sitting around on a sofa, playing games, and talking shit. They're better as a whole and I think the quality of content between them is proof of that.

SCB3

I think he quit the WWE gig and hes back at the bomb.
Yea he confirmed it on his stream today and was finally able to talk wrestling again, loves AEW and some of the pidxast ideas he had were genuinely great

But WWE gotta WWE and not go with anything that’s not from the kind of Vince McMahon

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I noticed this with a lot of people that got kids. My secret is I never listen because it is not interesting to anyone but you.

This sounds true of anyone discussing domething you're not interested in. Just tune out until the topic moves on.

Can't expect people who don't have kids to understand some people talking about their kids. It's something you don't understand until you have them.

I don't know what people see in Ryckert. His hire is where I really started to get annoyed watching since it just didn't have a good dynamic for me.

Rykert was the last good hire. His twitch streams the last few years have been more giantbomb than anything GB has done in years.

People saying end of an era now are mad. GB died when ben and abbie were hired. It was hanging on nicely for a while after Ryan passed. You have to think how much of the lame shit Ryan would have prevented if he hadn’t tragically passed.

As someone who listened to jeff and ryan since on the spot, it was a shock a few years ago when I realised I could no longer listen to bombcast. But this all died years ago for me.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
He's high energy, zany, and unpredictable

Dude is literally what GB needs if it has any hope of success moving forward

Problem is that he is literally as dumb as a lamppost and pretty annoying to boot.

Would it be safe here to say- get woke, go broke? I'm not saying literally broke but more like "see ya later"??? I was a listener early on but once gamergate hit I started to see these clowns' true colours. Stopped listening a while ago. Don't miss any of them. Last time I tried to listen (maybe just after Ryan passed away) all I heard was guys who hated everything and were cynical about every fucking game. Was boring to listen to and sounded like an echo chamber of bullshit. Not too sure I really give a shit that Jeff is leaving and don't care if he starts something new. Lost me a long time ago. So, yeah...

I thinks it's more age, and a fragmented gaming landscape. They've always been drifting off ever since youtubers started to take over and the older they and we get the more it starts to unravel.

The GB crew had their time and shone brightly.

Gotta be honest, I'm baffled by the Patreon support because Jeff has had an active disdain for Giant Bomb subscribers for at least a decade. I don't see how a different platform is going to change that in the long run.

Amory

Departures have always been announced in advanced and there has been a good bye stream. There's nothing for JG except the post by the Gb staff that is barely even about JG. He's the guy who started the website after being canned from Gamespot for not catering his review score to the advertisers FFS.

Nothing about this says they parted ways amicably. When people give notice, people are made aware in advance. When someone is fired, the announcement goes out after they're already out the door. Jeff was the latter, seemingly.
I don't think he was fired. I'd be very surprised.

My guess is the others wanted to go in a different creative direction with him not at the helm, and he left. He's had an opportunity lately to get an idea of what his market value might be on Patreon, since Brad, Vinny, and Alex did it first, and realize that he can make it on his own.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't think he was fired. I'd be very surprised.

My guess is the others wanted to go in a different creative direction with him not at the helm, and he left. He's had an opportunity lately to get an idea of what his market value might be on Patreon, since Brad, Vinny, and Alex did it first, and realize that he can make it on his own.
After watching his stream, I am leaning more toward it being a mutual decision. He was very clear in that he was burnt out and stressed out. Clearly he was not happy. I don't think I will hold a grudge against the new GB. But, I still don't necessarily think it's going to be something I seek out. GB without Jeff is not a website I want to follow, especially as it becomes a zoomer centric site.

Amory

After watching his stream, I am leaning more toward it being a mutual decision. He was very clear in that he was burnt out and stressed out. Clearly he was not happy. I don't think I will hold a grudge against the new GB. But, I still don't necessarily think it's going to be something I seek out. GB without Jeff is not a website I want to follow, especially as it becomes a zoomer centric site.
I bought a year of premium during one of their sales, so I'm locked in whether I'm interested or not. Bringing Dan back is an interesting move. Idk if it'll work but they needed some energy. They need to get back to quick looks and fun let's play series and it sounds like that's the plan.

I'm glad Jeff left. I really like the guy and I've been following him since Gamespot. But at this point GB wasn't good for Jeff and Jeff wasn't good for GB. Hope this new venture will be good for him.

Regarding the breakup, I do think there was some drama rather than it being purely mutual. He left too suddenly and everyone is being way too weird about it for it to have been a simple mutual break. But the details probably aren't that interesting

Rockeeo

It is funny to me how some of the comments on the internet mention how happy and energetic Jeff looked yesterday. Of course he is happy. He is watching the Patreon numbers go up. He is now in a position of getting $30k+ a month to do a weekly podcast. He gets to do all this without leaving the house.

Also...it helps Jeff if it appears that he was fired by Red Ventures. Makes him more sympathetic compared to "I left Giant Bomb because I can make more money doing my own Patreon."

Last edited:
It is funny to me how some of the comments on the internet mention how happy and energetic Jeff looked yesterday. Of course he is happy. He is watching the Patreon numbers go up. He is now in a position of getting $30k+ a month to do a weekly podcast. He gets to do all this without leaving the house.

Also...it helps Jeff if it appears that he was fired by Red Ventures. Makes him more sympathetic compared to "I left Giant Bomb because I can make more money doing my own Patreon."
It's crazy to me that at MINIMUM he's now pulling down 22k a month. Obviously, that's without taking taxes and Patreon's fee into account but damn son.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's no way something isn't off. Didn't even appear on a final episode, very brief eulogy from Jan, doesn't really explain anything properly on Twitch. There has to be bad blood somewhere.

Anyway, he should have done this alongside Vinny etc. leaving but it was noble enough of him to try and keep the wheels on GB. Will give his solo show a go for sure but I think it might end up pretty boring with nobody for him to bounce off of.

GB is totally dead to me now, the fact that Jason still - STILL - has a "core member" slot is just a joke at this point. Not even Dan can save it.

Naru

GB is totally dead to me now, the fact that Jason still - STILL - has a "core member" slot is just a joke at this point. Not even Dan can save it.
I don't even know what role he has there anymore. What is he doing at GB?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't even know what role he has there anymore. What is he doing at GB?

Senior video producer, who shouldn't be allowed within ten feet of a podcast.

Senior video producer, who shouldn't be allowed within ten feet of a podcast.
I mean, he barely features anyway, but the dude should really prioritise time for himself and his health. Seems in a bad way. Even if the eyepatch is an absolute lady killer.

Naru

Him and Rorie will probably disappear in the background again now that they have so many good people there (I hope).

This guy certainly is in a bad place health wise it looks like.

Last edited:

Bigfroth

Considering that the minimum tier is $5 instead of $1, this is pretty good for a weekly podcast with only one person.

Good for him, should had left much earlier.
Yup, wondering why he didn't do this earlier. GB's E3 couch afterparty shows we're the shit. I'm his age so I can understand his grumpiness lol. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

Naru

Listened to the first Podcast and it was an absolute mess in my opinion. I mean he seemed to notice it himself judging by how often he said "what am I even talking about haha". I know this was thrown together in a short period of time but for someone that has done podcasts for years now, this seemed weird. This had awkward written all over it.

AV

Listened to the first Podcast and it was an absolute mess in my opinion. I mean he seemed to notice it himself judging by how often he said "what am I even talking about haha". I know this was thrown together in a short period of time but for someone that has done podcasts for years now, this seemed weird. This had awkward written all over it.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that it's starting as "one man talks into microphone" and, yeah, he's obviously thrown something together very quickly after whatever went down went down.

But for sure, needs time to figure out what exactly this thing is and where it's going.

Top Bottom