• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gertsmann's Comments about Third Parties Picking a Side

harSon

Banned
Not necessarily.

Many publishers believe that used provides liquidity that funds new game purchases.

Just as GAF isn't a hivemind, neither is the publishing community.

It's not a hive mind, but in this case, the overwhelming majority of publishers would prefer used games not to be a thing where they see zero direct profit.

SilentFlyer

That's definitely going to be the case once both consoles have install bases that are worth a shit, but in the early portions of a generation, it actually seems beneficial to be exclusive to a platform. There's something about exclusivity within this period that makes games infinitely more desirable, and this on top of the fact that money from Sony/Microsoft to subsidize the burden of development is highly attractive to publishers/developers, is ultimately the reason we'll see the return of the 3rd party exclusive for the time being.

Indeed. Initially there will be good amount of 3rd party exclusive to attract the gamers but in long run those 3rd party exclusive will go multiplatform once the user base is significant.

Krilekk

Banned
What if the some developers/publishers aren't too happy about the pretty draconian methods being implemented to curb used games and have decided to forego the One as a platform altogether?

Understand this: Devs and publishers hate used games as much as they hate piracy or renting games. It's lost profit. If anything these methods drive them towards the platform, not away. This stuff is increasing their profits and thus ensuring the survival of countless studios. Now they can directly profit from used copies. It's a lifelong dream come true for them.

It's not a hive mind, but in this case, the overwhelming majority of publishers would prefer used games not to be a thing where they see zero direct profit.

More like the Mega Publishers that are hiding shitty managament behind the "piracy/used" scapegoat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think third parties know Sony's plan on DRM or used sales at this point.

All the big publisher third party games have been announced for PS4.

So either Sony is providing some solution that is satisfactory for them, or they're not really but the issue isn't a dealbreaker for them.

If ps4 manage to sell more and get bigger userbase, 3rd party cant afford to push sony to the sidelines.

The PS4 will need good third party titles to sell. The PS3 was dying until the they pressured by Third Parties to make the console more affordable.

Sony then cut the price, redesign the console, redesign the branding etc... and finally got the momentum. Once they had it the third party love came back.

Yup. People need to accept this new philosophy on your used games cause Sony is almost certainly embracing it as well
The thing about it is if Sony hasn't been planning for this (like MS obviously has) and they are "forced" into it then there "solution" is going to be muuuuuuch worse than what were getting from MS with Azure and the reseller program.

Well we know EA and Ubi have been pushing for something like this for a long time, so we know they'll be happy MS is doing it.

...at the same time, neither has the balls or capital to release their own console so seeing Sony not doing it will be good for them too, just in case the Xbone goes tits up and they need a platform to sell their games.

Understand this: Devs and publishers hate used games as much as they hate piracy or renting games. It's lost profit. If anything these methods drive them towards the platform, not away. This stuff is increasing their profits and thus ensuring the survival of countless studios. Now they can directly profit from used copies. It's a lifelong dream come true for them.

Until they realise that they getting even less money outside US. The eliminate Gamestop but they lose the rest.

KAL2006

Banned

If they want used games to not be a thing they can simply do this, Sony has gave publishers the choice.

Raoh

If Sony doesn't adopt an anti-used game policy, third party publishers will push the XboxOne platform harder with exclusive content and sales.

I wouldn't blame the publishers there.

That would be the consumers fault.

The consumers bought faulty hardware. The consumers bought pay to play. If the consumers buy xbox one with higher live fees and used game policies. Then yes, devs and publishers will follow.

But if yall plan to support it you can't complain about it.

Maztorre

Why would third parties be unhappy about the new approach to used games, lending games, et cetera? They'll be delighted, it's consumers that should be angry.

I think anyone with a brain on both the customer and publisher side should be unhappy with this, but I assume you're talking about large AAA publishers like EA/Acti/Ubi.

Why would a small publisher like XSEED, Atlus or CDPR be happy about a mandatory policy that fucks with customers, when the core of their business is trying to do right by their base of customers and keeping them happy?

Companies that actually did the work of evaluating the size of their customer base and budgeting accordingly should be livid that Microsoft has basically handed a get out of jail free card to irresponsible megapublishers, who now literally get to take money out of your pocket with every resale and throw that at outspending and outmarketing the smaller companies even more.

Here's a thought.

MS is seemingly partner on the side of big publishers.

What if Sony partnered with the indies and retail to push their products. Retail is always gonna need to be there to sell hardware.

Just a thought, since MS has basically dicked-over the retail partners now.

harSon

Banned
If they want used games to not be a thing they can simply do this, Sony has gave publishers the choice.

From what we know, Sony has only given them the choice to add DRM that would completely dismantle the opportunity to resell the game period. Microsoft simply prevents the sale of used games without the developer seeing a penny. They're completely different scenarios, and while the customer is similarly screwed in each one, the developer would much prefer the latter scenario.

You are being naive Miss/Sir, this is billion dollar business. Games cost a lot of money and Use/Piracy definitely takes a huge chunk of those profits.

Didn't say they didn't. Hell, this generation has been good to the reatil shops in my country where the PS2/PS1 and Xbox piracy was rampant.

But you don't believe there are not serious mismagement issues? (after Square/Zynga/EA fiascos?) Come on...

Didn't say they didn't. Hell, this generation has been good to the reatil shops in my country where the PS2/PS1 and Xbox piracy was rampant.

But you don't believe there are not serious mismagement issues? (after Square/Zynga/EA fiascos?) Come on...

Yeah good for the Retail shops because people just buy the consoles and mod them/buy cheap use games. Meanwhile the Publishers that actually made the games where closing the studios left and right.

Yeah, I understand this. I was throwing out an alternate scenario in which MS approach is seen as too draconian.

I fully expect a lot of publishers are running their hands in glee that MS are moving ahead with their reseller program, but at the same time, some developers/publishers might not be too happy about the hit to liquidity that will come from such a move.

We know certain developers are very anti DRM, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see them turn their backs on the One.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I wouldn't blame the publishers there.

That would be the consumers fault.

The consumers bought faulty hardware. The consumers bought pay to play. If the consumers buy xbox one with higher live fees and used game policies. Then yes, devs and publishers will follow.

But if yall plan to support it you can't complain about it.

The fact that the gaming community as a whole has refused to push back or stand up for their rights has led us to where we are now.

grumble

Not necessarily.

Many publishers believe that used provides liquidity that funds new game purchases.

Just as GAF isn't a hivemind, neither is the publishing community.

They do allow used games on the new Xbox. either peer to peer online code selling, or in approved stores with discs. It's just who gets the money.

Does kill physical peer to peer sales though!

In fact the online sale stuff is really convenient and can guarantee that 100% of the money is used for buying new games. It's also impossible to implement without an authentication measure, so Sony will either have to do something similar or bow out of that functionality outside of digital bought titles.

Yeah good for the Retail shops because people just buy the consoles and mod them/buy cheap use games.

Actually they mode them prior PS2/Xbox generation and the consoles were buyed in grey markets so kind of moot point you snark, now is actually kind of difficult giving XboxLive and PS3 Blu Ray. But they get better service at both fronts (retail and from the publisher), when prior both retail and Publisher were screwed ... but:

Meanwhile the Publishers that actually made the games where closing the studios left and right.

Here a new game doesn't cost 60 Dollars at retail. It costs 80 Dollars at conversion. So yeah, I would say that I like to buy cheaper games when I can. I buy day one when is a publisher I like or is a game I truly excited about, but it would be difficult to that when they want more and giving less.

reson8or

But they have incentive to have their games be best on Xbox so they sell more copies there.

No more need for MS to moneyhat them for exclusives either. They have a "built-in" moneyhat

I can see that from the likes of Activision and EA. If MSFT is successful, then Sony will likely have no choice but to follow suite to prevent said disparity. Consumers will choose if the plan is successful, if MSFT sees a considerable drop in sales, and cares about its gaming division (assuming its entertainment first approach works) it will have to amend its rule to keep gamers in the fold.

I can see that from the likes of Activision and EA. If MSFT is successful, then Sony will likely have no choice but to follow suite to prevent said disparity. Consumers will choose if the plan is successful, if MSFT sees a considerable drop in sales, and cares about its gaming division (assuming its entertainment first approach works) it will have to amend its rule to keep gamers in the fold.

Yep, nailed it.

What, all of them?
I think we are still going to see some 3rd party exclusives but less of them as we move ahead.
MS is willing to use the Big Bag o' Money.
Someone will take it.

No, that's not what I mean. I agree, Microsoft will continue to obtain 3rd party exclusives. I just don't see publishers giving up on the PS4 or focusing on the XBone solely because of the used game issue. If they can port it and make money, they're going to do it.

Reave

Kind of surprising to see an article from my blog get a thread on NeoGAF. Cool way to start the day.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how much Xbox One's stricter policies affect the choices some third-party developers might make down the road. Some might take to it to protect their 'new game' profits, and some could shy away from it to keep from hurting their image with core audiences and some retailers.

Way too early to tell how it'll play out, but I wouldn't be surprised if a studio's stance on second-hand gaming becomes a bigger factor for certain exclusives than development costs or console exclusivity partnerships.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't read it yet, but I could totally see this happening just because of the forced Kinect and different in specs. I imagine Microsoft is not going to allow games to be made unless they support Kinect and Smartglass in some way.

Sales are going to be the ultimate decider, obviously, but I could totally see a future where PS4/PC is the default just because of how easy it would be to port between the platforms and the lack of the requirement to support a weird peripheral.

The fact that the gaming community as a whole has refused to push back or stand up for their rights has led us to where we are now.

Gamers are perhaps the most fucked over entertainment demographic on the face of the planet. But it's their own fault. I've never seen a demographic so content with constantly dicked over. Many gamers have a smile on their face while it's happening.

Diffense

An established platform maker can easily sink itself with decisions that prove too unpopular with developers or consumers. Nintendo made that mistake when Sony was just a tiny spec in its rearview mirror.

Why would third parties be unhappy about the new approach to used games, lending games, et cetera? They'll be delighted, it's consumers that should be angry.

True, but the XO reveal may have been seen to be alienating to smaller(ie.non-ultra-double-digit-million-selling-blockbuster) devs in much the same vein as it was to actual videogame players. Microsoft seemed to be concerned with "AAA"(or even AAAA) franchises as evidenced by CoD being the only bleedin' game to get any sort of substantial time on the show.

If Sony doesn't adopt an anti-used game policy, third party publishers will push the XboxOne platform harder with exclusive content and sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if publishers pressure Sony to make some sort of DRM concession. It could be something like allowing publishers to decide if they want their games to be always-online.

MAX PAYMENT

No money if no one buys the system because of internet requirements though. Particularly, families with multiple kids.
You really think the average family does that kind of research over products their kids want?
I worn with kids. Parents are total pushovers nowadays.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
An established platform maker can easily sink itself with decisions that prove too unpopular with developers or consumers. Nintendo made that mistake when Sony was just a tiny spec in its rearview mirror.

The word of mouth for the X1 is going to be atrocious. There will be so much FUD, and most of it will be justified.

You see all of those articles on mainstream sites talking about privacy concerns every time Facebook updates its policies. Just wait until they get a hold of the news that Microsoft wants to have a high-powered and intelligent infrared camera in people's houses that is always on, always listening, and always connected to the Internet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You really think the average family does that kind of research over products their kids want?
I worn with kids. Parents are total pushovers nowadays.

I know a lot of 'average families' too and this will just be one more thing for them to say, 'ok we're done spending 60 bucks per game on this thing. We'll buy you some itunes points instead'

If people are that against what Microsoft is doing then you have only yourself to blame if you buy their system because you were swooned by some exclusive game they may get. I admit I had little interest in ever owning a Xbox, I thought from the very beginning Microsoft getting involved in gaming would result in bad practices, and that is definitely not changing now.

Truth is people are easily swooned, and they would eat nails if it meant playing a game they wanted.

No money if no one buys the system because of internet requirements though. Particularly, families with multiple kids.

They can all play the game in the same house, based on Phil Harrison interview from today maybe. I know I saw it, but not sure where at the moment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I honestly think people are crediting MS with far more influence than they actually have.

Top Bottom