• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Minter's Space Giraffe: Xbox 360 (screens inside)

32579_GTPS01_122_512lo.jpg

From the YakYak forum:

Yak said:
You are in control of the giraffe. Generally it fires from its hooves but if you make it raise a hoof and hover it over a channel, it'll fire from that hoof too (up to a point, you can't do that indefinitely).

As you shoot stuff the tail grows longer. The length of the tail determines how many things get smart bombed when you press the smart bomb button - the segments of the tail explode sequentially, taking out one enemy with each segment.

If you keep the tail until the end of the level, it'll explode as you leave the surface, yielding bonus points as it does so.

There will be a "helper" you can get as a powerup but it won't be a space giraffe

Filtering out the extra stuff, this is a guess at the gameplay:

space_giraffe.gif

Couple more screens not at shacknews:

Here the space giraffe has completed a web and flies through space to the portal.

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

gt4.jpg

Daigoro

shidoshi said:
Why do people keep buying his games? You're just supporting the furry agenda, folks!

And good God those screenshots look like garbage. We don't need to see what you see every day just because you can't get off of the drugs, Jeff.

misono.gif

wahhhhh!

shaddup.

More Minter quotes:

Yak said:
the thing is that elements of the game (including on some levels the "filling" of the surfaces) are all hooked up to lightsynth trigger events and so things are only truly "clear" when everything is moving. Motion and dynamics define the surface you see. Seeing it frozen in time gives an incomplete impression because the definition of the surface is smeared out over time, so to speak.

Of course there need to be enough hard reference points that one can see in order to see clearly how to play and where the threats are, and these also appear dynamically according to the situation (note the dots and lines delimiting the lane ends; these appear when there is something in that lane which needs dealing with). The thing is to balance basically out-and-out lightsynth effects with reliable, necessary cues to allow coherent gameplay. We want yummy visual overload *but* we still want to be able to play coherently throughout, and this is the major challenge in designing this game.

The result when it works well is that lovely "oh-my-GOD-the-Universe-is-exploding" feeling coupled with the feeling that one is in control and, indeed, kicking serious bad guy booty, whilst being suspended in a world of light. Which is a set of feelings I like.

Fredrik

I don't get why he isn't just making a great normal shooter. It would sell in millions since he knows his stuff when it comes to shooters and there are almost no shooters released outside Japan nowadays. Good luck with trying to get people to unlock the full version after playing the demo, from the look of it I'm guessing that most people won't have a clue what's going on in this game.

RSLAEV

Man, I love that crazy ass hippie. It's good to see some real spirited indie development on these high end systems :)

Fredrik said:
I don't get why he isn't just making a great normal shooter. It would sell in millions since he knows his stuff when it comes to shooters and there are almost no shooters released outside Japan nowadays. Good luck with trying to get people to unlock the full version after playing the demo, from the look of it I'm guessing that most people won't have a clue what's going on in this game.

He's an artist. You don't tell Picasso to go paint sad clowns because they are selling better.

Fredrik

beermonkey@tehbias said:
He's an artist. You don't tell Picasso to go paint sad clowns because they are selling better.
Good point. But I wish he would at least tone down the craziness so it won't get people afraid to try the game.

Acosta

Serious question. What does Jeff do for a living?

Well, his lifestyle is not really expensive I bet. And I suppose he still has money from his games, and some work here and there (he has a column in Edge).

I love the concept of the game (and you should know better, the nasty words won´t appear in the final version, MS wouldn´t allow him).

I love him, we have few people willing to explore sinergy between gameplay, audio and music, and is encouraging to see someone able to develop games almost alone.

My avatar is happy. I've never played any other Jeff Minter game, but Tempest 2000 is the purest gamer's game ever made. Pure twitch-instinct-reflex action. Most people can't even tell what's going on.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm pretty sure this guy sees everything as a great big music visualizer/the end sequence of 2001.

GreekWolf

Superfrog said:
Horse Smegma :lol

IMG_3219.JPG
Holy smokes. What happened to that poor bastard?

I have a CES video from 1995 when he was working on the Jaguar, and he looked like a kid back then. That was only a decade ago. Now it's like he's a broken down old hippie. :(

HokieJoe

The first thing I thought of when I saw these was Rosanna Arquette saying "tripppeee" in Pulp Fiction after Thelma wakes up from her heroin O.D..

:lol

Joe Molotov said:
Free pot brownie with every preorder?

Really? I heard peyote buttons. :)

HokieJoe

Leondexter said:
My avatar is happy. I've never played any other Jeff Minter game, but Tempest 2000 is the purest gamer's game ever made. Pure twitch-instinct-reflex action. Most people can't even tell what's going on.

Truth.

That game was hard for me.

Minter was talking about a world without pixels back when the N64 was a semi-viable system and he was working on Nuon.

That world is here. I think this game will be a fantastic experience.

It will make much more sense in motion but many who have played other Minter games will have no problem visualizing coherent gameplay from these shots.

Top Bottom