• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Minter's Space Giraffe: Xbox 360 (screens inside)

Jonnyram

SG is in alpha now, waiting to get feedback from MS.
Dunno if it's on PartnerNet or not, no idea what "alpha" means in this context.

Here is some feedback from someone who has played it though:

The new version is an absolute blinder in high-def on my plasma telly. After all those nice, placid, colourful games displayed very calmly and correctly, Space Giraffe is like a big fat can of spinach to the plasma's Popeye.

The sound design is magnificent. Individual effects like the "Yeees?" make me laugh out loud, and I love the way you can build up an almighty cacophony of mooing, bleating, baaing, sneezing and KLF-ing - with all those little Jarvis-isms peppered throughout to ramp up the Pavlovian old-school arcade feel.

Technically, it just feels beamed in from another ****ing planet. I've absolutely no idea where to start having an idea about how it's done, but if it looks like magic and it feels like magic, then it must be magic.

The pacing and mood (which I'm sure will be enhanced once there's more music in) are already thrilling. Not just gameplay/difficulty curve-wise (need more time with it to suss that) but the really nicely prescribed presentation of all those spooky, psychedelic background images and textures and zapping, synapse-like white flares. It's practically cinematic - like some kind of hallucinogenic, inner-space journey into the designers' minds and pop-culture cues.
And a quote from the man himself:

Jeff Minter said:
We did a release build of the game and it runs at a flatline 60FPS throughout, no matter how much crazy stuff is going on. It remains pure silk to play even under mental load. I'm really, really happy with this alpha release, and look forward to finishing off the levels and polishing it to an absolute shine in the next couple of months. Still go for completion by the end of March, Goat willing.

jedimike

thanks for the update. If he finishes in March (doubtful), we may see something on XBLA in June... but I'm guessing it will be closer to APR/May before he finishes and we won't see the game until Aug/Sep.

Who knows... maybe the new XBLA manager has a different strategy for arcade releases.

puebla said:
xbla wins again. i want to play that.:D

Yeah, it has been pretty lame lately with a long slow slog of 80's arcade games . . . but Castlevania, Alien Hominid, Space giraffe . . . it looks like there will be some interesting new stuff.

Wario64 said:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=28649

sg8cl8.jpg

sg1jv0.jpg

sg3ht6.jpg

sg5zz1.jpg

grantmorrison_1_180.jpg

This game is right up my ***** alley!

newsguy

So far some text in the game:

"NAD GET!"

"Congratulation! You Success! A Winner is you! But our giraffe is in another castle!"

It's easy to see that this game was conceptualized and developed under the influence of heavy hallucinogens.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
After getting "I Love Horses" stuck in my head, I had to find that particular song, which I eventually did.
So if anyone's looking for the "I Love Horses" remix, check out http://www.diffusiononline.net/diffusionaudio.htm. It's the homepage of the original creator of that remix. There's a zip-file further down on the page containing some of his works, and this song is one of them. :D

newsguy said:
So far some text in the game:

"NAD GET!"

"Congratulation! You Success! A Winner is you! But our giraffe is in another castle!"

It's easy to see that this game was conceptualized and developed under the influence of heavy hallucinogens.

Look again... it's 'Congraturation', not 'Congratulation'. :)

EDIT: If the game actually ships with that song, GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME CONFIRMED!

It's an XBLA game, and Jeff Minter made the 360 visualizer... I'd think you can probably wuse your own music in it no matter what comes included.

... and as for the most recent screenshots, they are here.
http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=62061

Top Bottom