• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Minter's Space Giraffe: Xbox 360 (screens inside)

Raistlin

I really hope he ends up supporting the PS3.

If he's pissed because Sony didn't purchase his visualizer to be on all PS3's ... he shouldn't take it out on the end-users. He should sell it so we can put it on our HDD.

Pimpwerx

Minter is awesome. I only played Tempest, and loved it. But the man is a genius. And you have to give props to the guy for doing his own thing. He hasn't been corrupted by the industry. PEACE.

Exis

Day one baby..day one.... I counted Unity in the five games that I bought a GC for and was dissapointed that it never came.

-Exis

Is this true? i've heard the same, but is it really true?

He jokes about it all the time on his forum, but I doubt that it's actually true...

Anyway, Jeff Minter is awesome. Not because of those screenshots -- as I'm sure people know the language in them (and was said in the linked thread and on the Yakyak threads/Minter blog posts that they came from) that's just to keep major gaming sites from posting them as screenshots when they're still a work in process -- but because his games are great... I still wish he'd make Llamatron 2, though. Llamatron is his best game, I'd say... still though, this looks awesome.

rs7k said:
There's no way you can make me believe this is a game. I mean, WTF do you do?

tHa_vIlLaMaN said:
That's some trippy shit. How the hell is this thing supposed to played? With mushrooms?

How the game is played. Again:

Yak said:
You are in control of the giraffe. Generally it fires from its hooves but if you make it raise a hoof and hover it over a channel, it'll fire from that hoof too (up to a point, you can't do that indefinitely).

As you shoot stuff the tail grows longer. The length of the tail determines how many things get smart bombed when you press the smart bomb button - the segments of the tail explode sequentially, taking out one enemy with each segment.

If you keep the tail until the end of the level, it'll explode as you leave the surface, yielding bonus points as it does so.

There will be a "helper" you can get as a powerup but it won't be a space giraffe

Yak said:
the thing is that elements of the game (including on some levels the "filling" of the surfaces) are all hooked up to lightsynth trigger events and so things are only truly "clear" when everything is moving. Motion and dynamics define the surface you see. Seeing it frozen in time gives an incomplete impression because the definition of the surface is smeared out over time, so to speak.

Of course there need to be enough hard reference points that one can see in order to see clearly how to play and where the threats are, and these also appear dynamically according to the situation (note the dots and lines delimiting the lane ends; these appear when there is something in that lane which needs dealing with). The thing is to balance basically out-and-out lightsynth effects with reliable, necessary cues to allow coherent gameplay. We want yummy visual overload *but* we still want to be able to play coherently throughout, and this is the major challenge in designing this game.

The result when it works well is that lovely "oh-my-GOD-the-Universe-is-exploding" feeling coupled with the feeling that one is in control and, indeed, kicking serious bad guy booty, whilst being suspended in a world of light. Which is a set of feelings I like.

Kind of like Tempest:

space_giraffe.gif

hadareud

The Translator
does anyone know when it's coming out exactly? I mean a month, not just 2006.
It looks, well, intriguing. And quite pretty in some screens.

jedimike

I was browsing through the latest EGM and saw this game was #7 on the hot 10 list. It also says due by the end of this year. And if it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, the game was previously announced for GameCube under the name Unity.

And if it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, the game was previously announced for GameCube under the name Unity.

No, this is a new game (and awesome looking). Unity was his previous game, that was never completed...

Unity wasn't completed, it had a similar look but I don't think it was quite as Tempest-ish as this.

The sad thing about Unity was that it wasn't going to allow custom music. SG won't have that problem...

catfish said:
lay off the bong hippie.
I'm so stoned right now, I don't know what's going on.
Drawntogethers01e05_02.png

(Yes, I do know that's a Drawn Toghether screencap and not one of Towelie, but it made more sense in the context of Space Giraffe, so STFU. :) )

Jonnyram said:
This game looks awesome. It looks like most of the work now is gonna be just dropping levels in there, so hopefully it'll be out this year.

Well, they have to create sound and music that doesn't use uncleared samples. :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The result when it works well is that lovely "oh-my-GOD-the-Universe-is-exploding" feeling coupled with the feeling that one is in control and, indeed, kicking serious bad guy booty, whilst being suspended in a world of light. Which is a set of feelings I like.

Well, that sounds right. Sold.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
plagiarize said:
and Rez is just Panzer Dragoon.

or in other words... no. no it's not just tempest.

So it's tempest with Aphex twin playing in the background?

Comparing this to REZ is pretty silly btw.

pswii60

Does Jeff already have MS's approval for this as an XBLA project? Because it looks absolutely dreadful.

EDIT: But it seems I am the only person on GAF who thinks this! I must have sold in and gone mainstream! :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
pswii60 said:
Does Jeff already have MS's approval for this as an XBLA project? Because it looks absolutely dreadful.

EDIT: But it seems I am the only person on GAF who thinks this! I must have sold in and gone mainstream! :)

Youuu are nooot aloooooooooneeee

I ammmm heeere with youuuuuuu

Though youre faarrr awayyyyyy
something something

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
pswii60 said:

*muttering*
freakin' casual gamers...
*muttering*

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
this game will make shit-talkers on live entertaining to listen to. If I ever hear "I'll drown your ****ing face in a bucket filled with horse smegma!!
Where is my mother****ing otter spunk!?

sp0rsk said:
So it's tempest with Aphex twin playing in the background?

Comparing this to REZ is pretty silly btw.
i wasn't comparing it to REZ. i was comparing the difference between REZ and Panzer Dragoon to the difference between this and Tempest. yeah, they use the same basic idea, and the controls are pretty much identical, but that doesn't mean that they're essentially the same game.

understand?

you could compare this to REZ though, as it is using music and tying it in with the gameplay in a similar way.

Pimpwerx said:
Minter is awesome. I only played Tempest, and loved it. But the man is a genius. And you have to give props to the guy for doing his own thing.

Since when was repackaging classic games considered "doing your own thing," much less "genius"-worthy?

I enjoy what he does, but he's like a good cover band at best.

ninge

The video is simply awsome. This game really is Tempest 2000 on acid and for me, that makes it a day one purchase!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
bobbyconover said:
Since when was repackaging classic games considered "doing your own thing," much less "genius"-worthy?

I enjoy what he does, but he's like a good cover band at best.

Admittedly his obsession with Tempest got the better of him, but the stuff he did in his Vic20/C64 days - like Iridis Alpha, Ancipital, Hellgate - was genuinely interesting. And most definitely 'doing his own thing'. His games had some very original gameplay mechanics, so I do consider him a genius of the 8-bit days.

He's earnt his right to do what he wants these days, and it's good to see he still has an avenue to do it.

C4Lukins

It kind of sucks. They took the whole sense of flying through a portal by adding that grid to it. Not nearly as trippy as it was.

Description taken from Minters blogg (you can find some 400 megabyte versions of the videos there)

SG tutorial level vids
These come in two flavours, both of which you should see.

"Naive" shows play through the tutorial level on the basic "Eyes of Allard" tutorial level geometry. I don't play for points here, I play to show how one might play the tutorial on the first play through. The simple geometry makes it easy to see what's going on.

"Rinsin'" shows me playing the same Tutorial Level data, but over three different geometries that are a lot less plain than the Eyes of Allard stuff, and also using techniques to boost my Bonus Multiplier and rinse the levels of points. Unfortunately I don't rinse it as well as I might have since I lose a life in the last level.

Top Bottom