• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jesus Christ, the animation on Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy is insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So as sort of a spur of the moment kind of thing, I decided to give Guardians of the Galaxy a re-watch last night and jesus christ....I had totally forgotten what an absolutely phenomenal job the animation team did when it came to bringing the character of Rocket Raccoon to life.

I remember at the time of the film's release being pretty damn impressed with the way Rocket was animated, but I think given how very effects driven Guardians ended up being, it was a pretty easy thing to over-look. But on a subsequent re-watch, it really is remarkable how the effects managed to take the concept of a bipedal, talking racoon and invest the character with such an abundance of personality and detail. The character is just so amazingly expressive and convincing.

make-up_stage_6.gif

tumblr_nf7vgw7k2g1rw4rkuo4_500.gif

tumblr_o7e0mzDOjb1sc0ffqo1_500.gif

tumblr_n9lu8eTFDI1tz0eupo1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_nr51e9RdNO1tfw4aco1_500.gif

178904-rocket-raccoon-sad-gif-imgur-3K4Q.gif

For me, Rocket just served as a reminder of how pretty much seamless the use special effects have become in modern Hollywood films today and how much we tend to take them for granting, as well as serving as something of a reminder in regards to just how far the technology has progressed, even in the last ten years. It makes you wonder what much further the technology can progress, and what animators will find themselves capable of in film going forward.

Anyway, that's all I really wanted to say. Are there any particular special effects driven characters or individual moments in film that continue to fill you with awe, Gaf? Or conversely, were there any CG characters or moments that left you less than impressed?

tumblr_na9qlkIXeK1qfbzt4o1_500.gif

Thank you for your time.

Rewatching Guardians, there was this really cool little animation moment with Rocket where he's on Quill's ship where he Quill and offers this little grin while delivering the line "That's where things get really hardcore!". It was actually that specific moment of animation that made me want to make this thread, but alas, I can't seem to find any kind of GIF it anywhere.

Cesar in Dawn of Planet of the Apes and Neytiri in Avatar are like the GOAT imo.

but the first time I was ever floored by a CGI performance had to be Gollum in Two Towers. All the way back in 2002 and WETA was already killing it.

bengraven

I remember a few times wondering if they were using an animatronic puppet with a cgi-ed face due to how realistic the fur and features looked.

jett

D-Member
Cesar in Dawn of Planet of the Apes and Neytiri in Avatar are like the GOAT imo.

but the first time I was ever floored by a CGI performance had to be Gollum in Two Towers. All the way back in 2002 and WETA was already killing it.

pfz2HVw.gif

Cesar is I think the current high point.

Rocket's convincing CGI is what made the movie, IMO. He is absolutely the heart of the team and needed to be sold to audiences with perfect execution. They fucking nailed it.

Oppo

my dad asked me straight up after Star Wars how they did Maz, like he was just totally confused, "it looked too perfect to be CG...?"

I said, yeah they have sort of had this shit on lock since Gollum. well with great animators anyways.

Because you already knew in advance it was CGI, and are trying to look for it.

Also...it's a fucking talking raccoon. CGI is never going to actually trick our brains into thinking something impossible is actually real - but good CGI can convincingly portray emotion and character in ways bad CGI does not. Rocket may not be real, but he FEELS real even if our eyes and our brain recognize that he is not.

He is 100% as much of a character as any other in the movie, instead of just a cool CGI trick. I certainly didn't know that cgi artists could convincingly portray a space raccoon having an angry drunken meltdown before I saw the movie, but I know a lot of people really felt and connected with that scene (with props to Bradley Cooper's voice performance).

Rocket became one of my all-time favorite characters after watching this movie. It's just that great and I can't wait for GoTG 2!

Interesting tidbit: It was Framestore in London that did Rocket, and they also did Paddington in, uh, Paddington. Anyway, there was an animator who worked on both and they actually used more or less the same rig (the "skeleton" that gets animated, which in turn moves all the muscle and fur and skin on top). Anyway, this guy was leaving the company and as a good-bye present to him a few of the other people that had worked on the project actually put Paddington into a few of Rocket's shots in GotG (including that machine gun shot). It required a little bit of tweaking due to a bit of a size difference but basically it slotted straight in thanks to the rig being mostly identical. They only did a few shots (they had to shanghai a bit of render time on the farm) and cut it together as a short little clip. I only got to see a few shots (at a VFX thing in Dublin a few years ago) but it looked hilarious.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
The one that really blew me away was the tiger in The Life of Pi. In fact, that whole film made incredible use of CGI - it never really crosses your mind when watching how many of the shots are computer generated.

Toxi

Banned
my dad asked me straight up after Star Wars how they did Maz, like he was just totally confused, "it looked too perfect to be CG...?"
And Maz isn't even particularly impressive by modern CGI standards. We're exposed to so much CGI it's easy to forget just how mindblowing it is.

Remember when people thought Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was done with prosthetics?

Interesting tidbit: It was Framestore in London that did Rocket, and they also did Paddington in, uh, Paddington. Anyway, there was an animator who worked on both and they actually used more or less the same rig (the "skeleton" that gets animated, which in turn moves all the muscle and fur and skin on top). Anyway, this guy was leaving the company and as a good-bye present to him a few of the other people that had worked on the project actually put Paddington into a few of Rocket's shots in GotG (including that machine gun shot). It required a little bit of tweaking due to a bit of a size difference but basically it slotted straight in thanks to the rig being mostly identical. They only did a few shots (they had to shanghai a bit of render time on the farm) and cut it together as a short little clip. I only got to see a few shots (at a VFX thing in Dublin a few years ago) but it looked hilarious.

OMG I want to see this.

tauke

Damn I will love to see it lol. Pretty nice that they can do it while it will be something not possible at all at my workplace (unless someone secretly does it under the nose of the upper management).

Still waiting for CGI that doesn't look totally fake
You've likely already seen it and not even noticed.

When it is used in a subtle fashion it is invisible now. It's only when it is used to do more overt things that you know have to be CG that you see it. Characters for example will probably always look "fake".

Lautaro

You've likely already seen it and not even noticed.

When it is used in a subtle fashion it is invisible now. It's only when it is used to do more overt things that you know have to be CG that you see it. Characters for example will probably always look "fake".

Yep, Game of Thrones has a lot of CGI backgrounds that go unnoticed.

DrBo42

Anything played by Serkis is tainted for me. He's a massive twat that believes the animation team bringing his performances to life is beneath him. Especially when he provides mostly unusable movement. /rant

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Was raytracing used?

Other than the SMH but, the stuff in the OP looks like it has actual weight, like Hulk did in Avengers 1, which was one of the only other cg things I've been impressed with as far as photorealism.

I don't agree Cesars full body shots looked off to me as with Neytiri who had zero weight to here movements.

Close up shots were phenomenal though.

Rocket was far superior overall.

pestul

Wow.. now that I know it was the same animator from Paddington, I can really see the similarities in movement between the two.

I don't agree Cesars full body shots looked off to me as with Neytiri who had zero weight to here movements.

Agreed. I've always had this problem with Weta characters where the facial animation is absolutely superb but the white body totally lacks weight.

Damn I will love to see it lol. Pretty nice that they can do it while it will be something not possible at all at my workplace (unless someone secretly does it under the nose of the upper management).

I think it was a semi-open secret. Not strictly above board but so harmless and good natured that it was not looked into. That's the impression I got, anyway.

GeeTeeCee

All CGI creations these days are just following in the footsteps of the single greatest work of all time: The Scorpion King from The Mummy Returns.

/s

Always confused by today's cg lookig worse than a lot off old stuff.

maybe used too much, would rather have new mini scale models with green screen and some cg.

ghostbusters and movies like that look awful..... why they do it? do the guys making it feel it looks good?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Always confused by today's cg lookig worse than a lot off old stuff.

maybe used too much, would rather have new mini scale models with green screen and some cg.

ghostbusters and movies like that look awful..... why they do it? do the guys making it feel it looks good?

Good/Cheap/Fast

Pick two

Can you guess which two the studios pick?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

I think some of the apes (the orangutan one in particular, but also Ceasar) were more impressive than anything, as they look like living creatures from real world. Racoon is awesome as a character but looks and moves like a made up cartoon character.

jett

D-Member
You were one of those people who thought BB-8 was fake too, right?

But that had nothing to do with how it looked, but rather we didn't understand how that thing could work mechanically.

That said, I've never seen the real BB8 move this fast. :p

giphy.gif

Spuck-uk

Banned
So as sort of a spur of the moment kind of thing, I decided to give Guardians of the Galaxy a re-watch last night and jesus christ....I had totally forgotten what an absolutely phenomenal job the animation team did when it came to bringing the character of Rocket Raccoon to life.

True story, at a friends house party I met one of the guys animating RR for the film, showed me some greybox/untextured stuff on his phone (this was months before the film came out). Even then it blew me away, stupidly talented bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom