• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jezebel: Why Do We Still Think Guys Just Want Sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One thing that I think needs to be pointed out is that, even if there were innate differences between the sexes, they would be of such a slight and trivial nature that they don't interfere with the aims of feminism or equality at all. I imagine most of them would just be slight differences that lend themselves to slightly different behavior in mating and reproduction and the social behavior that surrounds it (that's a guess). We already know that men and women can perform in nearly any activity you'd care to name, that's not at issue here.

A lot of feminist aims have to be approached through gender theories, because, yes, we saw various patriarchal structures evolve with the advent of the neolithic revolution (and possibly earlier... hunter-gatherer societies display a gender division of labor even if the inequality is not as pronounced). So to combat these structures, you have to deconstruct the assumptions of gender. But a lot of feminist gender theories make the case that it's socially constructed gender all the way down.... which I just have to argue because i don't know that it's true. I think it's a matter for science to figure out. 99.9% of everything that was ever said about men and women might be societal... but all? I don't know about that.

Trey

Sex at Dawn has been largely dismissed by most biologists and scientists with experience in the field. In fact, there's a book-length refutation, "Sex at Dusk," available.

I've had Sex at Dawn in my Amazon wishlist since forever. Is there no merit in reading it - if only to gain context for Sex at Dusk - or should I not bother and just purchase Dusk?

The idea that gender roles are social constructs is laughable.
Even baby chimps play differently according to their sex (cradling a bundle of twigs (f) vs whacking stuff with a twig (m)).
Not sure what differences in terms of promiscuity are innate, but the sexes are definitely different at birth.
Sociology is pretty much a joke and even less valid than evo psych.

TUROK

A lot of guys do just care about sex, though. I have plenty of friends whose main goal is to just bang women. Eventually they feel like settling down, but then once they do, they want to go out and sex random women again.

Gender roles are definitely social constructs to an extent.

Amir0x

Banned
While it is true that men can control themselves, I think it's also true that on average men do want sex more than any other aspect of a potential relationship by a large margin. Which can lead to behavior which is perhaps irresponsible, if they're in pursuit. But I don't mean 'well hey they want sex therefore they can't control when they rape someone', I just mean that if someone is going after a girl and really want that sexual intimacy, they might overlook things that later on in a relationship might really be a problem.

I think it's stretching it to say it's a "myth" to say men want one thing. Of course, when anyone says men only want one thing, the obvious answer is "of course men want some other things too." But I'd say the answer becomes true if you say men predominately want one thing. And I also think it's bizarre to try to disconnect the evolutionary aspect associated with this - we are driven more by this, because life does want us to continue spreading our genetic code. I think what becomes somewhat problematic is if you say men are the only ones who behave this way. Women are also frequently driven by this desire.

Edit: This is just my initial response to the article, not to any follow up points that have been made in this topic. Some seem to address what I'm saying..

Wanting to spread your genes is only natural. But whe're not hopeless primates that only desire sex. Unfortunately, whe're more complex than that.

Gender roles certainly are social constructs since we've seen many of them change radically during the 20th century. The question is whether or not biology plays a significant role, and if it does, how significant?

That or traditional gender roles are inherently biological and thing have changed due to new social constructs. One of the article's recurring notes is that we can control biological urges, after all.

I love how the only real solution to deconstruct age old gender stereotypes seems to introduce dogmatic new ones. I know that many femminist theorists don't intend that, but public debate almost allways boils down to that: Out with the old stereotypes and in with the new ones. Which is complete and utter bullshit.

The notion that a whole sex can be categorized or that a complete negation of such a categoration is possible boggles the mind. Only when analyzing from an ivory tower could you come to such inept conclusions.
It's so far removed from reality that i seriously have to question it's use in actual progress. Hell I'd even call it more damaging than anything else.

And why would it be negative for a man or a woman to want to have sex? That in itself isn't even a negative. It shows proactive attitude for one and a consciousness of basic desires.
If he or she wants to fuck around, fine. It's just sex for crying out loud.

I deal with people based on their character, sex might or might not be an expression of that. Instead of crippling ambition we should strive to enable everyone to become a strong subject with enough empathy to carry on that desire. Stop with the notion that humans aren't subjects capable of their own free will, stop making decisions for others, stop patronizing people by asuming a holier than thou attitude. You don't go about enabling people by crippling others. Even if that is just a perceived notion, it's harmfull by creating antagonistic positions instead of synergies.

This is fair, but considering that there has NEVER been a truly egalitarian (recorded) culture, in terms of gender, despite the fact that such would certainly be possible were the gender gap merely culturally constructed, it'd be a very tall order to overturn conventional wisdom on these matters.

Edit: Either way, America's culture of sexual repression, even in the present day, is ridiculous and harmful. I think we can all agree on that.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, it's more of an issue on how to solve it without just reproducing the same shit with a new paintjob.

Zaptruder

Banned
Even baby chimps play differently according to their sex (cradling a bundle of twigs (f) vs whacking stuff with a twig (m)).
Not sure what differences in terms of promiscuity are innate, but the sexes are definitely different at birth.
Sociology is pretty much a joke and even less valid than evo psych.

This is a strange line of thinking...

Sociology is basically an extension of cognition writ large at societal levels. It's functional accuracy is generalized across a broader spectrum of people, but that doesn't reduce its validity.

That said, seperating environmental/social adaptation to genetic adaptation is difficult, given how repeatable and congruent many social/cognitive features are across any human social environment.

Like language for example - we don't *actually* have a specific language module in our brains. We don't actually even have a visual module encoded into our genes.

What we do have an adaptive neural net that adapts in a regular, predictable manner to regular, predictable features in our environment... in the case of vision and languages, we develop those neural features quickly and regularly, because they're the basis on which the rest of the patterns in our environment become salient and predictable.

Not all of those features in our environment are a given must.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, it's more of an issue on how to solve it without just reproducing the same shit with a new paintjob.

I really don't think there's much of a risk of that. We live in a post-Civil Rights Era world, and things are only going to get better as some cultures are dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and women continue to fight for things like equal pay and greater justice/societal awareness of sexual assault.

What I've always hoped for is a society where both men and women can simply be men and women and have their contribution valued as an important part of a larger whole. I believe that's at least part of the thrust of so-called Third Wave Feminism, no?

Edit: Zaptruder, are you an anti-Chomskyan, then? Because the Nativists might take issue with the idea that there isn't a specific language nodule in the brain.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Sociology is basically an extension of cognition writ large at societal levels. It's functional accuracy is generalized across a broader spectrum of people, but that doesn't reduce its validity.

You're forgetting how academic sociological theory actually works:

A key event in the trivialization of sociology as a discipline was the bitter critique and rejection of Parsonian theory in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Almost no sociologist lamented the demise of Parsons' contributions and virtually every well-known sociologist of the day delighted in partaking of the crime and feasting on the corpse. Of course, rejecting Parsons' attempt to fuse the insights of Pareto, Weber, and Durkheim into a general theory of social order, and offering nothing of substance in its place, sociological theory wended its moribund way into the present. In this present, sociology is like fine art. Just as every painter creates his own aesthetic from an unshared private world, so the sociological theorist today weaves a complex story that does not build upon, nor does it have positive synergy with, the work of his predecessors. The situation would be amusing---so many intelligent men and women huffing and puffing and saying [nothing worth] building upon---where it not so tragic.
http://www.amazon.com/review/RVYFR96AWGQJ3

Some sociologists have interesting things to say, particularly some "middle-level" theorists and some of those who do quantitative work, but the field as a whole is far from scientific. In other words, the information-to-noise ratio is very low.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I remember getting taught this load of crap in my high school sex ed class (Catholic all-girls high school). Men want sex, women want love. It was wrong then and wrong now. Sad to see that a lot of people still believe it.

Mumei

This is fair, but considering that there has NEVER been a truly egalitarian (recorded) culture, in terms of gender, despite the fact that such would certainly be possible were the gender gap merely culturally constructed, it'd be a very tall order to overturn conventional wisdom on these matters.

Edit: Either way, America's culture of sexual repression, even in the present day, is ridiculous and harmful. I think we can all agree on that.

This is fair.

And why would it be negative for a man or a woman to want to have sex? That in itself isn't even a negative. It shows proactive attitude for one and a consciousness of basic desires.
If he or she wants to fuck around, fine. It's just sex for crying out loud.

I deal with people based on their character, sex might or might not be an expression of that. Instead of crippling ambition we should strive to enable everyone to become a strong subject with enough empathy to carry on that desire. Stop with the notion that humans aren't subjects capable of their own free will, stop making decisions for others, stop patronizing people by asuming a holier than thou attitude. You don't go about enabling people by crippling others. Even if that is just a perceived notion, it's harmfull by creating antagonistic positions instead of synergies.

For someone who purports to disagree so strongly with feminists, you sure agree with a lot of their positions. It is as if your posts are arguing against an Anti-Feminist Strawman that you have painted over with the label "Feminist."

1) Humans are more androgynous than gorillas but less androgynous than, say, bonobos. The former is a species with SHARP, evolutionarily-selected sex differences (including violent male competition over access to females), while the latter species sees few sex differences and a social currency of freely accessible sexual activity. From this, it has always struck me as eminently reasonable that humans are biologically predisposed to a level of gender differentiation somewhere between these two species.

Agreed, that is reasonable. I don't know that it necessarily makes it true, however.

2) Perhaps "gender traits" would have been a better phrase than "gender roles". The specific manifestations of such are, obviously, culturally determined, but I think that there are deeper tendencies and patterns of thought that differentiate men and women from one another.

I can agree with the possibility of gendered traits.

But I also think that whatever the differences might be, their plasticity - even nigh-ubiquitous traits - is such that these base biological differences are less important in practice than what we socialize for. This is, essentially the argument that is being presented here. For instance, you may be correct that there is some baseline biological difference in aggressiveness, but if you remember from the book, there are examples (however rare and bizarre they might seem) where male and female aggressiveness is almost unrecognizable. So while there might be some baseline difference in aggressiveness where men as a group are generally more aggressive than women (and this difference is significant enough to be generalized across individuals), it also possesses enough plasticity that it can be almost non-visible in practice. And I think you know that I agree with Mr DeafMutes on the difficulty of coming up with evidence to support these things.

And it is also true in practice that while arguments for evolutionary psychology / base biological differences can be presented in a descriptive fashion, they are more often presented a more prescriptive fashion of "Men and women definitely have differences in competitiveness and we shouldn't try to do anything to subvert these broad natural tendencies because Nature." It is this attempt to argue from the possibility of basic differences that these differences are therefore right and we should attempt to bolster them that tends to be the bigger arguing point. I think at a certain point, if one isn't arguing for the existence of base biological differences in service of a larger argument, I wonder what the motivation is.

It's been over a month since I finished it, and unfortunately, I don't have it here in front of me. But one thing that stuck in my craw a bit was his citing of studies of the effects of testosterone on chimps, wherein it was indicated that chimps would only become violent toward those who were lower in the pecking order than them. Aside from the fact that this is the same side that tends to argue against using observations of animal behavior as a way of postulating innate human tendencies, I also think it's disingenuous not to acknowledge that human pecking order is more complicated than that of chimpanzees, or to not address, say, "roid rage", an attested human behavior that would seem to indicate that high levels of testosterone do indeed induce violent and aggressive behavior in humans, giving lie to the thesis that the difference in testosterone levels cannot adequately account for differences in behavior between men and women.

This is the section:

On the surface, the experiments on testosterone and aggression appear convincing. Males have higher levels of testosterone and higher rates of aggressive behavior. What's more, if you increase the testosterone in a normal male, his level of aggression will increase. Castrate him - or at least a rodent proxy of him - and his aggressive behavior will cease entirely. Though this might lead one to think that testosterone is the cause of the aggression, Stanford neurobiologist Robert Sapolsky warns against such leaps of logic. He explains that if you take a group of five male monkeys arranged in a dominance hierarchy from one to five, then you can pretty much predict how everyone will behave toward everyone else. (The top monkey's testosterone will be higher than the ones below him, and the levels will increase down the line.) Number three, for example, will pick fights with numbers four and five, but will avoid and run away from numbers one and two. If you give number three a massive influx of testosterone, he will likely become more aggressive - but only toward numbers four and five, with whom he has now become an absolute violent torment. He will still avoid numbers one and two, demonstrating that the "testosterone isn't causing aggression, it's exaggerating the aggression that's already there."

It turns out that testosterone has what scientists call a "permissive effect" on aggression: It doesn't cause it, but it does facilitate and enable the aggression that is already there. What's more, testosterone is produced by aggression, so that the correlation between the two may in fact have the opposite direction than previously thought. In his thoughtful book, Testosterone and Social Structure, Theodore Kemper notes several studies in which testosterone levels were linked to men's experiences. In studies of tennis players, medical students, wrestlers, nautical competitors, parachutists, and officer candidates, winning and losing determined levels of testosterone, so that levels of the winners rose dramatically, while those of the losers dropped or remained the same. Kemper suggested that testosterone levels vary depending upon men's experience of either dominance, "elevated social rank that is achieved by overcoming others in a competitive confrontation," or eminence, where elevated rank "is earned through socially valued and approved accomplishment." Significantly, men's testosterone levels before either dominance or eminence could not predict the outcome; it was the experience of rising status due to success that led to the elevation of the testosterone level. (These same experiences led to increases in women's testosterone levels as well.)​

I think you are right that he could have been more expansive, but I'm also not sure you are contradicting what he said. You are simply replacing "Testosterone has a permissive effect on the expression of aggression" with "Higher testosterone levels are correlated with higher expressions of violence. He acknowledges that higher rates of testosterone result in higher rates of aggression in that piece; he just argues that it does not create new aggression (e.g. aggression towards one's social superiors); it only magnifies existing aggression (towards safe targets).

And he also points out in the subsequent paragraph that the causal relationship between aggressiveness and is likely more complicated than "High testosterone -> Aggressive behavior / Success"; that aggressive behavior can itself lead to higher levels of testosterone. It may be that there is simply some sort of mutual feedback effect between the two.

As for convergence - even that article you posted earlier mentions that freer societies don't see a convergence in male and female sexual attitudes, which is what I'm referring to. Even if the separation between men and women is not as wide as we might assume, it does, nevertheless, seem to exist in most things.

Oh, that.

I think that there is a difference between legal and social egalitarianism and the particular social mores associated with being male and female in a given society. I wouldn't conflate the two.

I understand that, but my point is that while specific gender roles might be culturally selected, that doesn't mean they don't stem from biologically-selected patterns of thought and behavior.

Edit: I think an examination of the sexual tendencies of the gay and lesbian communities is also revealing. Generally, gay couples tend to be the most sexually active, and lesbians the least - that is, if I'm recalling the studies correctly. And gay men in general are by FAR the most sexually active and promiscuous. I think this is pretty strong evidence that there is a marked difference in the sexual drives of men and women, for, as Steven Pinker put it, it is in homosexual relationships that you see the "purest" manifestation of male and female sexualities, given that the two partners are of the same sex and will therefore likely view the sexual act from similar perspectives. This is understandable, given that it's the sex chromosomes where there is an indisputable biological difference between men and women. The extent of this difference in other areas is debatable, but I've also found sexuality to be a very "liquid" aspect of our identity, reaching into other behaviors and endeavors in unexpected ways. After all, how many times have you found yourself doing something out of character in the hopes that you might get laid, or realized after the fact that the desire for sex was underlying some action or other that you took? I'd say many people, man or woman, could attest such instances in their own past.

Perhaps. I would still hesitate to ascribe the tendencies of gay male or lesbian couples to natural biological tendencies; as wonderful as we are, The Gays do not actually exist in the State of Nature. I think gay culture has both its own sexual mores and is also influenced by the broader culture.

Oh, and never. But I'm in that weird category of "low motivation" people. :p

I think the only reason this is still taught to young girls is because of young boys. I don't believe it's meant to be a truth for the rest of your adult life. I think it's a warning to girls coming of age that boys coming of age have one thing on their mind.
And while this isn't entirely true, I believe it's more of a warning or and act of protection. I know for my high school years it rang pretty damn true. The boys (myself included) would say anything and act however was needed to get into a girls pants.
Honestly it was damaging to both sides, at least in my case.
Most of us grew out of it when we left high school, some others by the end of college. Does anyone actually believe that grown mature men "want one thing"?

JohnDoe

Banned
I think the only reason this is still taught to young girls is because of young boys.

Pretty much. But you should try to teach your kids, boys and girls, to be sceptical in general and warn them how there are many people out there who will get into a relationship with someone just because of selfish reasons, rather than going "keep your legs shut you slut, 99% of all boys only want to use you for sex."
I mean this shit causes a lot of women to be insecure as shit about getting with someone.

Pretty much. But you should try to teach your kids, boys and girls, to be sceptical in general and warn them how there are many people out there who will get into a relationship with someone just because of selfish reasons, rather than going "keep your legs shut you slut, 99% of all boys only want to use you for sex."
I mean this shit causes a lot of women to be insecure as shit about getting with someone.

Yeah, I don't agree with it, but I understand where it comes from. I can't begin to understand the pressure that women and girls must feel in regards to sex.

I know that both as a boy and as a man there is lot more emotion tied to sex than I was lead to believe growing up. My curiosity and my hormones lead me down a path that was very destructive to the girls I dated.

I know that sounds like a cop-out and somewhere in my mind I knew what I was doing was wrong and hurtful, but that voice would often get drowned out. I feel regret for my actions but I don't know how to stop someone else from making my mistakes.

I wouldn't have listened to anyone at that stage in my life.

Jado

Banned
For someone who purports to disagree so strongly with feminists, you sure agree with a lot of their positions. It is as if your posts are arguing against an Anti-Feminist Strawman that you have painted over with the label "Feminist."

I think he was referring to the clearly present negative and stereotypical slant in the Jezebel article, especially in the title and the opening sentences. Given the rest of the article, it may have just been poor sensationalist journalism to bait you into reading the whole thing. Read a couple of sentences and the takeaway is that I can either be a good guy who settles down for "meaningful" sex with one close individual, or a shitty guy who's promiscuous with a number of women.

YoungHav

Banned
Isn't the emergence of the prude attitude a fairly recent development in American sexual history? Especially given the overwhelming amount of censorship that has arisen in the last couple of decades?
This prudish attitude comes from centuries' old nonsensical beliefs people had about sexuality. There was even a point in time where you could snitch on your neighbor for having recreational sex with their spouse.

grumble

I think he was referring to the clearly present negative and stereotypical slant in the Jezebel article, especially in the title and the opening sentences. Given the rest of the article, it may have just been poor sensationalist journalism to bait you into reading the whole thing. Read a couple of sentences and the takeaway is that I can either be a good guy who settles down for "meaningful" sex with one close individual, or a shitty guy who's promiscuous with a number of women.

I find Jezebel to be strongly misandrist at times. This is one of those.

Rayis

I feel like straight guys have more control over this since they have to, gay guys usually don't have as much restraint when it comes to sex cuz of matching libidos, this brings real pain to me because I don't feel the same way about sex as most gay guys and they assume I do too cuz I happened to be born with a penis, I'm looking for something MUCH more than simple casual sex, That's why I wish I was a girl so my male partner would force himself to be more restrained on sex matters

and before anyone jumps on me, I'm just generalizing based on experience, it's meant to be taken with a grain of salt

Cubsfan23

Banned
women will sleep with the right guy in 5 minutes flat. Believe it.

This whole gender war/stereotype thing is just more society garbage

pigeon

Banned

This is super weird to me. The whole point of the first paragraph is that the last sentence is "none of this is actually true, it's fake societal stereotypes." So your criticism of Jezebel here is...that you don't think they're real stereotypes? Or that it's bullshit for them to mention anti-male stereotypes, even in the context of saying they're not accurate?

This is fair.

Being critical of the direction that popular feminist discourse is taking is being Anti feminist now?

Your analysis of my post seems to asume that there is One Feminism, a singular entity, which I highly disagree with. Contemporary feminism is far from having a single agreed upon MO. Just when looking at feminism among migrant women, the differences and conflicting views couldn't be more obvious.
I happen to agree with quite a few feminist theories, especially those that are actually aimed at creating gender equality while at the same time realizing biological realities as well. In popular feminist discourses there is too often a biased focus on the social and cultural side, with the biological viewpoint being ignored or depicted as irrelevant.

BeesEight

Some really good studies

As usual in these discussions, I am hesitant to ascribe to evolutionary imperatives things which can just as easily be ascribed to conditioning by gender roles (e.g. disprate treatment creates disparate results).

Mumei, I think I love you. Where were you during my classes?

Emphasis on sociology, which is basically "opinions about how society works, the discipline". It's not a science, and it's inherently an arguable topic... but that doesn't mean it's wrong or right. There may be some things about society that are true that will never be revealed through experimentation, so all we can do is argue about it and some theories rise to the top through popular consensus.

Ironically, there's very little that's "scientific" about the vast majority of evolutionary psychology studies. These aren't papers written after numerous brain studies of subjects exposed to certain stimuli. More often than not they're the conclusion of a simple survey performed on undergraduate males who are just as likely to be buying into cultural fantasies and providing postured or conditioned responses.

Which is to say, that most evolutionary psychologists rely on the exact same tools and methods to reach their conclusions as sociologists.

Also there's this:

Evolutionary psychology has always seemed so similar to the scientific racism of the turn of the 19th century both in style of argumentation and political deployment that I think it best to take its claims with a large grain of salt.

And since these theories are 100% untestable as we are physically incapable of travelling back in time to when these evolutionary pressures were exerted or possess the technology to mimic it, they really offer nothing of value other than trying take these established cultural biases and try and hand wave them away as okay since "evolution created them."

I find Jezebel to be strongly misandrist at times. This is one of those.

Dude, this is an article by self-admitted attempted murderer of his girlfriend and all around scumbag Hugo Schwyzer. Being a misandrist would be an improvement for that waste of space.

I can't fucking believe Jezebel still publishes his creepy ass. That's why they got deleted from my RSS reader.

Dude, this is an article by self-admitted attempted murderer of his girlfriend and all around scumbag Hugo Schwyzer. Being a misandrist would be an improvement for that waste of space.

I can't fucking believe Jezebel still publishes his creepy ass. That's why they got deleted from my RSS reader.
Wait, what?

Jado

Banned
This is super weird to me. The whole point of the first paragraph is that the last sentence is "none of this is actually true, it's fake societal stereotypes." So your criticism of Jezebel here is...that you don't think they're real stereotypes? Or that it's bullshit for them to mention anti-male stereotypes, even in the context of saying they're not accurate?

The general tone of the article is sex negative and prudish. Rather than just say the stereotype isn't real, the author takes it further by portraying healthy male sex drive as an anomaly and an inherently bad thing that "lucky for us" isn't true. Oh, and -- good news guys! -- we're provided proof/salvation that most of us are really normal and healthy and into monogamy, not like the uncommon weirdos who fit into the oh-so-bad stereotype of the wild Casanova. The article leads us from one stupid stereotype into another.

Jado

Banned
http://studentactivism.net/2012/01/22/hugo-schwyzer-is-still-doing-harm/

My impressions of the article and author have been confirmed. Besides trying to kill a woman, he acted in a predatory manner towards many young women while in an authority role as a professor (not illegal, but shady). Hence, we get this trash article where he's drawing from his own personal experiences and comparing ordinary men with active sex lives to a so-called stereotype that we aren't supposed to succumb to. Yeah, fuck him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom