• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: more ps5 preordered in first 12 hours vs 12 weeks of ps4

U better have preordered if u wanted one I guess 😅

Direct like to reuters :

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
“It may be that not everybody who wants to buy a PS5 on launch day will be able to find one,” Ryan says

tenor.gif

Starfield

U better have preordered if u wanted one I guess 😅

Direct like to reuters :

People should look at Nvidia's RTX3000 series launch to see where this is going

MiguelItUp

Well, everyone is locked in their homes this time with more free time. Not the same climate to make a comparison.
Exactly. Especially with folks now working from home, they're probably saving a lot of money, and as a result have more money to burn as well.

Edit: Real talk though, I just recently realized that I go get gas once every two weeks, lmao. That's working from home and then going out and doing whatever I can on the weekends. I've saved so much money on gas alone, lol.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
well where there as many sophisticated scalping bots for the ps4? I mean ii literally had 3 PS5s on 3 different sites and copuld not check out.

No 12 hours of preorder for ps5 vs 12 weeks of preorder for ps4

They won't allocate 5 million.units for preorder lol

Ah, that makes much more sense. I hadn't seen the second tweet, now it's a lot clearer:

"It seems that first 12 hours of availability for PS5 is being compared to the first 12 weeks of PS4 pre orders, not the first 12 weeks after PS4's release. "

Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
By any metric, in any financial or social climate, to sell the same amount of product in half a day as your last product did in three months is ridiculous.

Sony must be shitting a brick about meeting demand. That’s terrifyingly high interest.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Would've been even more im sure if the preorder process wasn't a complete dumpster fire. I'm glad many were able to get theirs, but it seems for people who didn't get to preorder (due to scumsuckers using bots to snatch multiple systems for reselling) that even launch day is going to be a mess in terms of availability.

Last edited:

Apeopleman

There will be theft, and possibly loss of life over this console. It was that way for PS2 and PS3 and it seems that with lockdowns, the demand is higher than ever

hemo memo

Gold Member
“It seems that first 12 hours of availability” and what a mess that 12 hours was. Great job Ryan and marketing team.

reinking

Gold Member
We all knew going into the pre-sale that the "winner" of the pre-sale "war" was going to be the company that had the most consoles to sell. Still, it makes me feel special that I am one of the 1+ million snowflakes that got my pre-order in.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Customers care. I care. Bigger install base Means more 3rd party support

Unless you are Nintendo. So more accurately to what you are saying is that the higher sales 3rd party games on your console the more support you’ll get from them.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
But I heard their marketing was off point and too secretive, I don’t understand...

People are fighting over toilet paper dude. No matter how many they sold they fucked the pre-order process that they had to apologize. So that’s them admitting they fucked it up.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
PS5 gonna be a humongous sales beast. Glad I got my pre-order in. Still not confident I'm gonna get one on launch despite a confirmation e-mail.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I did a quick search, and apparently PS4 sold 5.3M units in the first 3 months.
Is Jim Ryan saying PS5 sold more than that in the first 12 hours of pre orders? This is crazy
Yeah. No.

'“It may be that not everybody who wants to buy a PS5 on launch day will be able to find one,” Good marketing there Jim.

There is no way the PS5 sold 5.3 million in a day. Sorry but no.

Top Bottom