• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: more ps5 preordered in first 12 hours vs 12 weeks of ps4

bboris77

Neo Member
This is pure marketing, fueling the hype machine.

It would be absolutely unprecedented if it ends up being true that no PS5s are available to purchase on the release day, either online or in physical stores. Guess where all those disappointed buyers would go with their hard-earned cash? I do not think Sony is foolish to allow their competitors to benefit from this.

COVID19 or not, Sony have been cranking out PS5s since June, long after China managed to contain the virus (internally) and bring back manufacturing to normal levels.

On top of this, there will be a lot of unopened returns after scalpers realize that people are not stupid enough to pay 2 times the normal price. I hope that in future Sony handles preorders direct-only, one per mailing address.

So technically shops will have stock for the official launch day on Nov 10th, for those who want to grab one physically at the malls?

Or its completely SOLD OUT till early next year, nothing for black Friday, bundles..etc?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Post bookmarked once the sale figure comes out we ll come back to this but u ll have more excuses.

Ps is the most popular gaming brand in console space . Deal with it bud 😜

I’m sure that what the scalpers are counting on, unwavering allegiance to a box.

reinking

Gold Member
I’m sure that what the scalpers are counting on, unwavering allegiance to a box.
Scalpers are counting on unwavering allegiances to all boxes, video cards and brands. How are you trying to spin this as if Sony is the only company impacted by the bots? If so, that is bad news for their competition.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Scalpers are counting on unwavering allegiances to all boxes, video cards and brands. How are you trying to spin this as if Sony is the only company impacted by the bots? If so, that is bad news for their competition.

I’m not, Lying Ryan tweeted about preorders.

everything sells out in mins now a days becuase of bots and scalpers, like you said. Means nothing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

And some people are saying PS5 won’t reach 70million units lol. Dummies. Playstation’s lowest selling console (PS3) sold more than Xbox’x highest selling console.

PS4 came off after PS3 which was Sony’s lowest point.

PS5 is gonna be a monster in sales and the first year of games looks way better than PS4.

Games like God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 are gonna make it sell alot more then PS4’s first couple of years. And then comes Spider-Man 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima 2 etc

Last edited:
By any metric, in any financial or social climate, to sell the same amount of product in half a day as your last product did in three months is ridiculous.

Sony must be shitting a brick about meeting demand. That’s terrifyingly high interest.
I'd drop the hammer on a PS5 right now if one became available even though I'm saving money for holiday next week. Couldn't give a fuck really. My girlfriend and I can sleep on the streets for 1 night while away on holiday. Sacrifices have to be made. This is the life of a gamer. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the foreseeable future. We can take the hit.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
They apologised for the pre order mess. Not sure how you extrapolate that as them apologising for their marketing?

I’m just pointing at that their marketing isn’t “perfect” and far from it like people seem to believe. I’ll put more weight to PS5 success from the fantastic foundation which is coming strongly from the PS4 than what PS5 marketing team did honestly.

LordOfChaos

It would be absolutely unprecedented if it ends up being true that no PS5s are available to purchase on the release day, either online or in physical stores. Guess where all those disappointed buyers would go with their hard-earned cash? I do not think Sony is foolish to allow their competitors to benefit from this.

I think those that would go with either console if one isn't available are far in the minority. People have largely already chosen what they want or are sticking to what carries forward their libraries.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m just pointing at that their marketing isn’t “perfect” and far from it like people seem to believe. I’ll put more weight to PS5 success from the fantastic foundation which is coming strongly from the PS4 than what PS5 marketing team did honestly.

No marketing is perfect, I know that more than most.

But the success of marketing is graded on how well it sells the product it’s meant to.

itsnotme

Who is this Jim guy spreading fud? Doesn't he know that the PlayStation marketing has been awful? It doesn't matter if their tear down is in 9 Million in 2 weeks or if their UI video is on 11 Million in 1 week, it doesn't even matter if every time they make an announcement it goes #1 trending on twitter and YouTube. They should fire their marketing team IMO

But of course. PS4 had a very strong generation.
It reminds me of the PS1 -> PS2 era. That transition was legendary though.
This one - won't be as the market is more diverse this time, but the first year for PS5 should be very strong.

Yup, far less people with jobs too.
COVID won't affect this purchase though. After new consoles don't happen that often.

Last edited:

yurinka

Not sure if Daniel is right on this one. In the quote isn't clear if he means 12 weeks of preorders or 12 weeks after PS4 release (in the USA):

"The Japanese tech company pre-sold as many PS5 consoles in the first 12 hours in the United States as in the first 12 weeks for its predecessor PlayStation 4 device, Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said in an interview. "

Did they open the PS4 preorders in USA more than 12 weeks before its launch? Edit: He may be right, PS4 preorders in the USA started June 10th, 2013. PS4 was released November 15th, 2013. So yes, preorders started 5 months before release, more than 12 weeks (3 months).

That's definitely not his achievement at all, but the previous management's.
Jim has been part of management since forever: https://www.sony.net/pressroom/executives/Jim_202006E.pdf

But the success of a console is the achievement of a huge team of both the corporation and their partners, including 3rd party developers or marketing companies. It isn't an achievement of a single specific person.

Last edited:
People should look at Nvidia's RTX3000 series launch to see where this is going
Based on what we know so far, I would say that this is not an accurate comparison.

Various reports have Nvidia being able to fulfill only 5-30% of orders placed by retailers for stock. I'm sure the demand is strong, but for Nvidia it's ostensibly a supply issue, not a demand issue.

With the PS5 it's very clear the demand is higher than its ever been for a console. And can guarantee that a $500 mainstream console has significantly more demand than than a $700 dGPU.

Unsurprising. PS4 not only corrected the PlayStation ship, but it laid the foundation for PlayStations identity, i.e. home of the big production games. There's a real sense of confidence in the PS5 that just wasn't there with the PS4, so extremely high sales numbers are to be expected at launch.

Well, everyone is locked in their homes this time with more free time. Not the same climate to make a comparison.

That's part of it. The other part is the fact that the PS3 to PS4 transition had a lot of uncertainty around it whereas the PS4 to PS5 is pretty much the smoothest console transition since the PS1 to PS2 one.

Any evidence to support that?
What evidence do you expect? Consoles haven't been released yet.
We won't see fighting in the shops though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's part of it. The other part is the fact that the PS3 to PS4 transition had a lot of uncertainty around it whereas the PS4 to PS5 is pretty much the smoothest console transition since the PS1 to PS2 one.
True. They are very similar. That transition even destroyed Dreamcast or something :messenger_fire: Legendary.

Last edited:
Not sure if Daniel is right on this one. In the quote isn't clear if he means 12 weeks of preorders or 12 weeks after PS4 release (in the USA):

"The Japanese tech company pre-sold as many PS5 consoles in the first 12 hours in the United States as in the first 12 weeks for its predecessor PlayStation 4 device, Jim Ryan, CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said in an interview. "

Did they open the PS4 preorders in USA more than 12 weeks before its launch?
My pre-order was placed on June 10, so yeah.

Though I wonder why he even needs to say 12 weeks for the PS4, because that was also sold out if I'm remembering right so... I wouldn't think the preorder numbers for week 4 vs week 12 of the PS4 would be all that different? Maybe they continually released more stock during the months and I never really paid attention since I already had one.

It feels different. I was able to get a launch PS4 preorder like 2 or 3 months after they opened. For PS5, it seems like if you didn't preorder, you won't have one until Spring 2021.

Blood Borne

U better have preordered if u wanted one I guess 😅

Direct like to reuters :

This is good stuff. Also, next time, please consider posting only the article WITHOUT the Twitter post.

can’t afford Your house payment? Buy a ps5 any ways. Seems legit...
Not that many people were not able to afford the house payment. Not to mention even if they couldn't - buying a console would not affect anything at all. So a lot of people buy new goods - like IPhones for example - even if they have issue with money.

I do wonder if the hardware sales of anything were affected by the COVID - because for example videocards were also preordered in big quantities.

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
what's important now is when they are able to offer a lot of units to order again. there must be some ready for next month at some point surely

Thirty7ven

Banned
Who could imagine that such a successful generation with an incredibly strong last year and an exciting new console would lead to this?

Doesn’t make sense. People should be jumping over each other to buy the other box because

There's no evidence to draw a comparison because we didn't have consoles during the last pandemic. You're basically just saying things.
All the indicators shows that hardware has not been sold worse than last time without the pandemic or whatever. Even stuff like Nvidia cards was sold out fast. And those are the expensive toys. And Nintendo consoles are continuously sold in huge quantities. Phones, etc.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Did they open the PS4 preorders in USA more than 12 weeks before its launch? Edit: He may be right, PS4 preorders in the USA started June 10th, 2013. PS4 was released November 15th, 2013. So yes, preorders started 5 months before release, more than 12 weeks (3 months).

Jim has been part of management since forever: https://www.sony.net/pressroom/executives/Jim_202006E.pdf

But the success of a console is the achievement of a huge team of both the corporation and their partners, including 3rd party developers or marketing companies. It isn't an achievement of a single specific person.
You don't get my point. Compare current Sony with ~ 2009 - ~ 2018 Sony

Romulus

All the indicators shows that hardware has not been sold worse than last time without the pandemic or whatever. Even stuff like Nvidia cards was sold out fast. And those are the expensive toys. And Nintendo consoles are continuously sold in huge quantities. Phones, etc.

I'm seeing boosts here and there. Many things are selling well but I've seen nothing like the preorders for PS5. The ps4 sold incredibly well and PS5 is outright destroying it.

I'm seeing boosts here and there. Many things are selling well but I've seen nothing like the preorders for PS5. The ps4 sold incredibly well and PS5 is outright destroying it.
PS4 was a transition from the dubious PS3 generation. PS5 is a transition from the successful PS4 generation. Just like mentioned before - it is similar to the transition from PS1 to PS2 and everybody knows how much hype did it have. It is the next generation of the console - for such events people sometimes are even preparing in advance.

Videocards come more often than consoles - a lot of people did not transition from 2080 to 3080. It is not the case with the console - most of PS4 owners will transition to PS5.

Last edited:
This is pure marketing, fueling the hype machine.

COVID19 or not, Sony have been cranking out PS5s since June, long after China managed to contain the virus (internally) and bring back manufacturing to normal levels.

On top of this, there will be a lot of unopened returns after scalpers realize that people are not stupid enough to pay 2 times the normal price. I hope that in future Sony handles preorders direct-only, one per mailing address.

I'm definitely going to let people know if I can just walk into a store and pick one up.

Top Bottom