• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: more ps5 preordered in first 12 hours vs 12 weeks of ps4

LordOfChaos

It may have even produced me.

YAGpXPd.png

Romulus

PS4 was a transition from the dubious PS3 generation. PS5 is a transition from the successful PS4 generation. Just like mentioned before - it is similar to the transition from PS1 to PS2 and everybody knows how much hype did it have. It is the next generation of the console - for such events people sometimes are even preparing in advance.

Videocards come more often than consoles - a lot of people did not transition from 2080 to 3080. It is not the case with the console - most of PS4 owners will transition to PS5.

I don't see the ps1-ps2 anywhere close to the ps4-ps5 transition in terms of what we're seeing. 12 hours to accumulate 12 weeks worth or preorders when the PS4 was incredibly hard to find. I would expect better for sure, but not this.

Last edited:
I don't see the ps1-ps2 anywhere close to the ps4-ps5 transition in terms of what we're seeing. 12 hours to accumulate 12 weeks worth or preorders when the PS4 was incredibly hard to find. I would expect better for sure, but not this.
I am not sure what did you expect. PS5 doesn't have a bad legacy of PS3 and the market is bigger. Not to mention we don't know - or I don't remember - the output of PS4 for preorders.

But the situation is similar to PS1 -> PS2 transition.

Last edited:

Romulus

I am not sure what did you expect. PS5 doesn't have a bad legacy of PS3 and the market is bigger. Not to mention we don't know - or I don't remember - the output of PS4 for preorders.

But the situation is similar to PS1 -> PS2 transition.

You're trying to funnel my point into a box that I expected PS5 to have some bad outcome when I never said that
Read the OP, I've not ever heard of anything like that before. 12 hours in 12 weeks when the PS4 was hard to find.

Bot tech has come a long way
eBay PS5

consumer interest for sure.
I’m sure that what the scalpers are counting on, unwavering allegiance to a box.
I’m not, Lying Ryan tweeted about preorders.

everything sells out in mins now a days becuase of bots and scalpers, like you said. Means nothing.
can’t afford Your house payment? Buy a ps5 any ways. Seems legit...

Y62C.gif

Last edited:

chonga

All this means is that the initial PS5 pre-order allocations were higher than the PS4.

Notice he compares it to the first 12 weeks of PS4. The second wave of PS4 pre-orders came you guess it... about 12 weeks after the first one where availability was pretty decent and they also announced some bundles (which happens to be when and what I managed to get hold of).

We've had no big second wave of PS5s, so they've probably gone for one later big hit so his quote is just to be expected, but pretty meaningless at the same time.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The demand for new hardware this gen is pretty crazy. The rush for day 1 with tech enthusiasts was always big but has changed a ton in the past 10 years.

supernova8

Banned
I kinda thought there would be a bit more of a blowout of content nearer to launch. A surprise launch title or something but naaaaaaaaaaaaah. Spiderman and Demons Souls?

Think I'm good. Kinda glad I couldn't get my hands on a preorder after all.

But as others said, do not underestimate the power of scalpers. It's a massive issue these days and it seems to only get worse with every big product launch.

Tschumi

I remember a while ago saying i thought Sony's marketing was really smart and effective, and getting laughed outta town.. suck it, laughers~~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahavastu

By any metric, in any financial or social climate, to sell the same amount of product in half a day as your last product did in three months is ridiculous.

Sony must be shitting a brick about meeting demand. That’s terrifyingly high interest.
Seems that the Bloomberg (?) article from a few months ago about "Sony doubling production" was false. It said something about 10mio units manufactured until the end of december. The supply would be different if that number would be true, even if it would not be enough to fullfill demand. :unsure:

I hope stores have stock for walk-in customers. I'm planning on hunting one down on release day.

Dont even waste your time....

Go take a look at MKHD’s Youtube video numbers for the PS5 video he posted today, it’s at 6 million views in less than 24 hours.

I don’t even think Sony will be able to keep up with the demand for this console until mid-2021.

I would say if you really want to get one without a pre-order your best bet is to pay extra and get it from a reseller if you really want one this year.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Dont even waste your time....

Go take a look at MKHD’s Youtube video numbers for the PS5 video he posted today, it’s at 6 million views in less than 24 hours.

I don’t even think Sony will be able to keep up with the demand for this console until mid-2021.

I would say if you really want to get one without a pre-order your best bet is to pay extra and get it from a reseller if you really want one this year.

Sounds about right. Have to get lucky to get one of 10 million by late March. That sounds crazy to even say, get lucky to find one of 10 million haha.

Anyway my expectations are by March. If that doesn't happen then its mid 2021. Wow.

MrA

Kind of a meaningless statement preorders opened in June, (12 weeks before ps5 relatively speaking) and basically sold out instantly, so this comparison is pointless, both sold out more or less instantly

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Just from people I talked to at work trying to preorder one and others hoping to get one in store on launch day I'd guesstimate about only 1 in 4 people will get one.

kyoji

Well, everyone is locked in their homes this time with more free time. Not the same climate to make a comparison.
we all see how you choose to spend your time, almost 7000 post in a little over a year, put on a mask or not and leave the house my guy.

Top Bottom