• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: PS4 will continue to be incredibly important to us for three or four years more

sainraja

Sony didn’t make any of them lol. How are they evidence of Sony “supporting the PS3 for years after the PS4 released”?

Let me help you there. I will ask you to dig up some dates here so it really registers in your mind. What year was The Last of Us released? What year was it they released the Puppeteer? When was Little Bit Planet 3 released? All were available on the PS3. Those should meet your requirement of 3. I really didn't want to answer this question as it detracts from the actual point that is being made.

Sony's doing what they have always done the past generations. Microsoft in the past had not supported their consoles near the end of the generation so this time around they were speaking loudly and proudly to drive that point home, when it came to light that not all their games would be cross-gen, only then did you guys change your tune. Plenty of threads here prove what we are saying. You are just putting your head in the sand here.

RaySoft

Microsoft started they would support current gen consoles for HALF the amount of time as Sony. 2 years vs 4 years. And all the Sony fans would post Craig memes and talk all the shit to the Xbox and PC fans about how games will be held back. You're guilty of it yourself.

Do you still feel this way after yesterday, now that we've all had time to process things? These are 2 different quotes, and it's hard to imagine you don't mean anything negative by it.
If you have problems with ppl posting Craig memes, you should take it up with them.
I have never posted a single Craig meme, so I don't get why you come after me.
I stand by everything I've said earlier. It is true that games will be held back if they are x-gen ventures.
The same goes with the x-gen PS5 games. Why should that be any different?
I'm also certain that the exclusive next-gen games will be better than that UE5 tech demo in a few years.
I've also said, multiple times, that these things takes time to develop. You can't expect these revolutionary next-gen titles during the consoles first year.

Lethal01

RXVcyH9.jpg

Demon's Souls is a next gen exclusive launch game. RnC comes out next year
God of War comes out next year.

You guys are trying far too hard.

Cross genning games that were previously promoted as PS5 only games does not compute with a giant transition.

Article from late last year.

"These are gamers who are networked and sticky and engaged and passionate about PlayStation to an extent that we've not seen in previous generations," he said. "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks--probably our main task--is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before."

Sony took a leaping step forward with their main goal to deliver "at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before" by releasing a powerful, 10 TF, next-gen PS5 system at $399. But then they went and took a massive leap backward by not releasing 1st-party games exclusive to only the PS5. Forget about the PC for now. They can port games to the PC 3-4 afterwards.

RaySoft

Do we really need one? Just on a techical note it won't be possible, as of today, to port a game that has been targeted with the bandwidth that SSD can deliver.
As I've said earlier.. this would go for the XSX as well, if MS still was in the console business.
"Generations" = Exploit he hardware as much as you can
MS = We have the power, but we rather want all others to join.
It's the One X all over again... (for now until PC catches up)

Do you still feel this way after yesterday, now that we've all had time to process things? These are 2 different quotes, and it's hard to imagine you don't mean anything negative by it.

My quote above was not directed towards Xbox One S. I mean that the direction MS has chosen, with "not a dedicated box" but "play with the device you have" mentality, will end up with the Xbox Series X loosing it's power edge over the PS5. The PS5 games will probably utilize more of it's teoretical power than the Series X games will. Simply because 1st party PS5 games won't have other configurations to account for. This really isn't rocket science, but I guess many believe, when reading something like this, that the differences will be bigger than they actually will be.
It won't be _huge_, but it's still there. That's all I'm saying, while trying to back up why. I may fail to convey my thoughts in detail once in a while, but that doesn't mean the statement must be wrong.

If you look back when Cerny had his "Road to the PS5" talk. After that some devs came out and said that the differences between the PS5 and Series X were almost non existant, It could even be the other way around because of some un-announced facts at the time. What do you think those un-announced facts were?
I bet you my right sock that they were refering to the, then un-announced, Series S.

For reference the Xbox One X was also held back (same as PS4 Pro) simply because all their power were just directed at higher resolution and frames. If a dev were to develop an exclusive Xbox One X game, with no parity towards the One S, they could have used that power elsewhere in the pipeline. But it's extra power were ALWEAYS pre-determined to be used for res & fps, thereby ending up being held back by the weaker consoles due to parity.
That parity are still in place now since MS has chosen to go for a "platform" model instead of a "generations" model that Sony do.

Wait a few years and I think things will be clearer and easier to see what I mean.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you're only talking first party, which I wasn't myself, then I can only do two, but that's moving the goal posts for what I was talking about with supporting, and what has been pointed to as a reason Sony tend to go very strongly across generations for decades now.

Those two 1st/2nd party exclusives were Resogun and Little Big Planet 3, however it would be dumb to dismmis the importance and good customer care of third party grossgen exclusives like Persona 5, most notably.

If you really are just talking Sony's own exclusives, then regardless of how many come out after, they're still easily the best of the big three in supporting their current system leading up to the new ones release, see TLOU2 and GoT this year, or TLOU and GT6 last gen, for instance.

Once the new system is out, a couple of crossgen titles come from them directly, while deals are made for grossgen and even fully last gen exclusives on top of that.

This idea that MS are breakigentirely new ground with their gross gen approach is all marketing spin, whereas they're just doing an extreme version of what has always occurred, that they'd previously been rather poor at, taking it to such an extreme as to be potentially detrimental to their new systems, assuming they don't walk it back when push comes to shove.
Ah yes, goalpost changing when you realise you’re wrong lol. Third parties releasing games on a console is not the console manufacturer “supporting” that console.

They have NEVER done cross generation releases. Never. Now they’re doing potentially 4 years of them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How many cross generation games did Sony release on PS3 and PS4? PS3 and PS2?

zero. Zero games is the answer.

The question you need to ask is, "how many games came out on the PS3 after the PS2 released?" And "how many games came out on the PS3, after the PS4 released?"

Ah yes, goalpost changing when you realise you’re wrong lol. Third parties releasing games on a console is not the console manufacturer “supporting” that console.

They have NEVER done cross generation releases. Never. Now they’re doing potentially 4 years of them.

The Last of Us Remastered probably will have LESS difference between the PS3/PS4 version than Miles Morales has considering things like ray-tracing and SSD tech, or maybe about equal... so if we're counting Miles Morales as cross-gen while having all these advantages then remasters like TLOU are cross-gen.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The question you need to ask is, "how many games came out on the PS3 after the PS2 released?" And "how many games came out on the PS3, after the PS4 released?"
And the answer is still basically zero. 1, maybe, at most.

EA choosing to release a game on the PS4 doesn't equal Sony supporting the PS4. It means EA are supporting it.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Playstation consoles are 10 year affairs. All of the games that have released on the PS4 this year will still have further sales value on the Greatest Hits lineup and the console will still get the tail end of releases from developers wanting to reap from the 100 million+ installed base.

For the most part, it will not receive major exclusive releases and will retire slowly into the end of production. Lots of money still on the table from the PS4.

jhjfss

Jim's brain has been infected with Craigona virus. Looks like we are stuck with an ancient CPU and 5400 HDD for few more years.🥵

Last edited:

sainraja

And the answer is still basically zero. 1, maybe, at most.

EA choosing to release a game on the PS4 doesn't equal Sony supporting the PS4. It means EA are supporting it.

I've answered this question already. See this post:

Let me help you there. I will ask you to dig up some dates here so it really registers in your mind. What year was The Last of Us released? What year was it they released the Puppeteer? When was Little Bit Planet 3 released? All were available on the PS3. Those should meet your requirement of 3. I really didn't want to answer this question as it detracts from the actual point that is being made.

Sony's doing what they have always done the past generations. Microsoft in the past had not supported their consoles near the end of the generation so this time around they were speaking loudly and proudly to drive that point home, when it came to light that not all their games would be cross-gen, only then did you guys change your tune. Plenty of threads here prove what we are saying. You are just putting your head in the sand here.

I think you are just being facetious at this point unless you really just started gaming with PS4/XONE. Sony's not doing anything different. Microsoft was planning to do the opposite of what they have always done, except they failed to clarify initially there was a cut off date. Regardless, the good thing out of all this is, you will likely stop claiming Xbox as a device agnostic platform for content vs just a next generation console. :D Oh what was it branded? "smart delivery"?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've answered this question already. See this post:

I think you are just being facetious at this point unless you really just started gaming with PS4/XONE. Sony's not doing anything different. Microsoft was planning to do the opposite of what they have always done, except they failed to clarify initially there was a cut off date. Regardless, the good thing out of all this is, you will likely stop claiming Xbox as a device agnostic platform for content vs just a next generation console. :D Oh what was it branded? "smart delivery"?
The Last of Us? What? It released on PS3 before the PS4 released lol.

Puppeteer released on PS3 before the PS4 released.

Little Big Planet 3 is the only game you listed that is cross gen.

You proved my point. Sony have never supported a previous gen console for even 6 months after release of a new console.

The Last of Us? What? It released on PS3 before the PS4 released lol.

Puppeteer released on PS3 before the PS4 released.

Little Big Planet 3 is the only game you listed that is cross gen.

You proved my point. Sony have never supported a previous gen console for even 6 months after release of a new console.

When did cross-gen mean both versions launch simultaneously? How many inaccurate arguments are you going to make?

Top Bottom