• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

phrl12s.gif

Christ, is this Microsoft's Kudo? lol

duvjones

Banned
You know, I haven't groaned so hard in a while. What does Digital Homicide have to gain pulling by dragging this man to court?

I am going to go get some aspirin.

Well if Jim Sterling actually published any lies about them that may be a problem. Just because he's a critic doesn't mean he can say literally anything.

I'd really like to know how they plan to prove assault over the internet. It's definitely legally possible, but you'd need to prove DH felt an imminent threat of physical harm based on Sterlings actions.

You know, I haven't groaned so hard in a while. What does Digital Homicide have to gain pulling by dragging this man to court?

I am going to go get some aspirin.

They're probably hoping to wind up with a restraining order against Jim that blocks him from discussing DH or their products.

To be fair, Jim does seem to be unfairly targeting them.

There's nothing unfair about a CRITIC doing his job, which is to criticize poorly-made games. When a company proves itself bound-and-determined to exploit the Steam system to attempt to create profit via shitting out an incredible volume of terrible products, that criticism should extend to that company and the leadership of that company overall as well, as the company's core practices are at fault.

Please.

Mesoian

I don't think these guys know how bad this could go for them. If they lose this and have to pay sterling's legal fees, they'll probably have to file for bankruptcy.

georly

Edit: nvm

Also, i wonder if the 5 bucks is their own money lol. Like how a beggar puts some change in the cup to get people to donate.

CazTGG

I wonder if Jim can set a precedent with YouTube videos if they take him to court and he wins.

Unlikely, there have been cases in which a YouTuber has won a given court case while YouTube continues to rely on draconian algorithms and tools that many copyright holders have used in bad faith and shady individuals like Merlin to rob them of ad revenue. I wish Jim Stanton the best and believe he'll win but I doubt this will be the case to change YouTube instead of, say, Patreon now being a viable alternative to the ad system.

neshcom

Banned
I don't think these guys know how bad this could go for them. If they lose this and have to pay sterling's legal fees, they'll probably have to file for bankruptcy.

Silver lining for DH: they get to say mean ol' SJW Stanton is putting developers out of work. Cash in on that gamergate money. Somehow.

To be fair, Jim does seem to be unfairly targeting them. It's kind of like bullying at this point to garner a reaction from Digital Homocide.

Are you serious? The Digital Homicide brothers are a shameless pair of hucksters who got bent out of shape when someone took them to task for their cynical bullshit. Jim's been doing a public service by putting them on blast.

Glix

Well if Jim Sterling actually published any lies about them that may be a problem. Just because he's a critic doesn't mean he can say literally anything.

I'd really like to know how they plan to prove assault over the internet. It's definitely legally possible, but you'd need to prove DH felt an imminent threat of physical harm based on Sterlings actions.

I mean... if Zoe Quinn couldn't do it... I think the burden of proof for that is actually impossible.

Kadayi

Banned
Sterlings a joke, but as like the Geek. com article says it's pointless to try and pursue this course of action. It's not going to go anywhere and it's just going to cost them more money. Better off instead to endeavour to make better games and move on.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Don't forget that most lawsuits settle out of court.
It's possible they're hoping for a quick settlement that stops Jim from talking about them forever.

LordRaptor

I don't for a second doubt that internet shitheads have harassed them 'for the lulz' ostensibly in the name of Jim Sterling, which they're probably going to try and tie directly to him as him endorsing internet shitheads, but I'm not sure how provable that would be, and I'm not entirely sure Jim isn't at least partially culpable in his attacks on them that internet shitheads then think its okay to harass them,

Primus

Don't forget that most lawsuits settle out of court.
It's possible they're hoping for a quick settlement that stops Jim from talking about them forever.

This is what they're after. It's completely delusional, but then most people who file pro se are.

taco543

For the people that were asking what country the suit is taking place in, from the looks of DH's kickstarter page, they're based in Arizona, and if I remember correctly Jim's from the south of the US, I believe Tennessee? So it's going to be a US Court case.

Midn1ght

Part of Jim's job is to spot and talk about bad games, bad developers, bad publishers, scams, and any kind of bullshit going on in the video game industry. He does it without filters and with his own sense of humor and personality. If you're creating and selling games, it's part of your job to be reviewed and criticized. If you continuously release terrible games, don't be surprise to be under the spotlights for that very reason on a regular basis.

lunapic_136261900572246_6_zps8bde2169.gif

The BEST thing about this lawsuit--if it goes forward--will be Jim Fucking Sterling Son being entitled via discovery to get his hands on all of Digital Homicide's internal documents and financials. In his defense, he should be allowed to look into their documents to prove they know they are making crap games, to see the paper trail that led to their decision to sue him over criticism, and to see their financials, since they are claiming he caused them financial damage.

Digital Homicide's "processes" and financials being laid bare via discovery should be epic lolz.

This is also precisely why I think this lawsuit will go away quickly, once DH realizes Jim will be able to ask for all that stuff.

Haha wow... these fucking guys just don't give up do they?
Take the loss and move on because its becoming embarrassing to see DH drag this shit on for aslong as they have.

jiggles

Banned
Well, I mean, if people are actually mailing human shit to the house where the guy's kids live, I can empathize with how he feels the need to lash out. But you can't hold Jim responsible for his unhinged fans, and this is sure to make matters even worse.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
There are plenty of complete idiots around but even they wouldn't be dumb enough to hitch a ride on a sinking ship, I don't imagine.

Also nobody knows about fucking DH.

The Venn Diagramm of people

A. Being idiots
B. Being generous enough to donate to a lost cause despite being idiots
C. Knowing/Caring about this

looks rather slim to me.

I cant see this going very far considering DH threatened to doxx Jim after they creepily found out where he lived from one of Jim's videos.

This is basically like punching a guy whose special power gives him extra power from getting punched.

Jim Sterling thrives on this sort of thing.

Top Bottom