• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain withdraws support for Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

https://twitter.com/TeamMcCain/status/784860272238272512

Statement from John McCain withdrawing support of Donald Trump.

http://www.johnmccain.com/statement-from-john-mccain-withdrawing-support-of-donald-trump/

Phoenix, AZ– John McCain issued the following statement today withdrawing his support of Donald Trump:

“In addition to my well known differences with Donald Trump on public policy issues, I have raised questions about his character after his comments on Prisoners of War, the Khan Gold Star family, Judge Curiel and earlier inappropriate comments about women. Just this week, he made outrageous statements about the innocent men in the Central Park Five case.

“As I said yesterday, there are no excuses for Donald Trump’s offensive and demeaning comments in the just released video; no woman should ever be victimized by this kind of inappropriate behavior. He alone bears the burden of his conduct and alone should suffer the consequences.

“I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated. He was not my choice, but as a past nominee, I thought it important I respect the fact that Donald Trump won a majority of the delegates by the rules our party set. I thought I owed his supporters that deference.

“But Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy. Cindy, with her strong background in human rights and respect for women fully agrees with me in this.

“Cindy and I will not vote for Donald Trump. I have never voted for a Democratic presidential candidate and we will not vote for Hillary Clinton. We will write in the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be President.”

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shouldn't have ever endorsed someone that insulted you and other PoW's to begin with.

ByQSoLU.gif

WedgeX

Banned
As a reminder, his original endorsement of Trump.

CNN said:
In a wide-ranging "State of the Union" interview in his campaign office in Phoenix, McCain criticized party leaders who are reluctant to back Trump, saying they are "out of step" with voters who have chosen the controversial businessman as the GOP standard-bearer. He defended Trump for being a strong and "capable" leader, particularly on foreign policy. He called on Trump to choose a running mate who could "unite the party," possibly Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst, even as he strongly defended his 2008 choice of Sarah Palin.

Krejlooc

Banned
In addition to my well known differences with Donald Trump on public policy issues, I have raised questions about his character after his comments on Prisoners of War, the Khan Gold Star family, Judge Curiel and earlier inappropriate comments about women.

Wow if you feel this way, John, why the fuck did you endorse him in the first place??

John McCain should not have even supported him in the first place, especially when Trump was insulting him for surviving torture in Vietnam. I don't care if you dropped support, he insulted you and many other veterans with that remark of his and you should feel so much shame for giving him your support McCain. Shame.

I'm betting a lot of Republicans like him were biding their time until a perfect moment like this to jump off the Trump train. Cruz pissed off so many at the RNC, but McCain can wash his hands of Trump easily now.

zsynqx

Again, most like for political reasons not wanting to go down with ship. Still, better late than never.

Fuck him and fuck anyone who is doing it NOW instead of a year ago.

The guy made horrific remarks about Mexicans, Muslims and every other person that's not white. The time to have dignity and morals is long fucking gone.

Wow if you feel this way, John, why the fuck did you endorse him in the first place??

“I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated. He was not my choice, but as a past nominee, I thought it important I respect the fact that Donald Trump won a majority of the delegates by the rules our party set. I thought I owed his supporters that deference.
He still wanted to play by the rules of the party

I'm betting a lot of Republicans like him were biding their time until a perfect moment like this to jump off the Trump train. Cruz pissed off so many at the RNC, but McCain can wash his hands of Trump easily now.

Nah they weren't biding their time. They were all aboard the Trump train because they thought he had a chance/were afraid of getting primaried. Now that trump shit the bed these political cowards have cover to jump off.

TraBuch

Banned
How's Cruz gonna look when he refused to endorse him and then decided to campaign for him and then presumably will back away again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom