• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Walker's anti-BS SimCity news articles.

unbias

This debacle has seen Polygon join my shit list alongside the likes of Joystiq, Kotaku, Michael Pachter, and various other individuals and/or organisations I don't care to give hits to.

Good work on this thread, by the way.

Thanks. Ya, it is sad that polygon turned me off to them, before ever turning me to a reader.
If the prove a change of perspective, I'll eventually give them a chance, but they are gana have to make it evident(obviously not just for me, but you get the idea).

Hopefully they learn from this, and try and at the very least not take sides if they cant or do not want to take the consumers/readers side.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
8xHF2pP.png

In my experience, it has always been the miserable bottom dwellers on the intelligence scale who employ the "u r not as smart as me" defense tactic when they're cornered.

Uthred

In my experience, it has always been the miserable bottom dwellers on the intelligence scale who employ the "u r not as smart as me" defense tactic when they're cornered.

Do these people not have even the slightest moment of self reflection on what theyre saying before they post on a (predominantly) public forum like twitter? Its the kind of snide childish antics you'd expect in a classroom not of professionals (who's job is to write about an industry that has a huge online presence at that). If you disagree with people saying your interview is crap or whatever, just fucking ignore them, or take it up via email. Dont have a 140 character mudslinging match.

unbias

Do these people not have even the slightest moment of self reflection on what theyre saying before they post on a (predominantly) public forum like twitter? Its the kind of snide childish antics you'd expect in a classroom not of professionals (who's job is to write about an industry that has a huge online presence at that). If you disagree with people saying your interview is crap or whatever, just fucking ignore them, or take it up via email. Dont have a 140 character mudslinging match.

I think, for a lot of them, they are in so much of a bubble, due to their social network click, that they feel they can say anything they want, because after they do, they have a bunch of peer's patting them on the back.

Bedlam

Good on John Walker for not letting this slide.

I can safely say that RPS's coverage, along with the damning community reactions, have contributed to my decision to not buy Sim City. Not only that, EA's extraordinarily anti-consumerist conduct in this case cemented my stance on not purchasing any future EA products. EA has pissed me off in the past and Sim City was basically the last straw.

... instead had sent out responses to questions asked long before the RPS story had broken. So it was that sites were running their interviews with Maxis that not only couldn’t have addressed the key issues, but only further repeated the statements that our coverage had revealed to not be the case. What they’d done is continued to wallpaper the internet with the debunked claims, after the fact. Not only were sites not reporting the reality of the situation, but they were in fact continuing to report the nonsense.

This bit is really great.

from this experience I did learn that amazon is where I should buy games from now on. Full refund of my retail simcity, no question asked, and I still get to keep my $20 preorder credit and simcity is still on my origin (like I'd touch that again).

btw: is the game still fundamentally broken?

Caerith

Hugely frustrating that EA had this go away by just saying nothing. Worst sign of a bad company.
Worst sign of bad journalists. Can you imagine what it would be like if real journalists just catered to the rich and powerful instead of asking hard questions?

The worst part of it all? Nobody has asked anyone at Maxis or EA what their perfect Sunday is.

Took a while to read.
But dam maybe if more people discredit others maybe the quality can rise in the gaming press. Its like they all feel like winners and can't take critique that is the most unprofessional and non dedicated stance one can make. If you are good suck in the complements and have some pride for doing good work. If you are bad suck in the critique analyze it and grow to be a better journalist. That is why we at CS do code more like design reviews on major school projects then have to critique or compliment each group you visited to see their design and hope they do something with it.

I'll be delighted to see more journalists "throw other journalists under the bus" if it leads to some kind of improvement in the field.

I know a lot of these writers seem to think that any issues should either be ignored - "it's just the way these things work!" - or kept between themselves - don't throw people under the bus, guys! - but if they want to be taken as anything more than a sad little clique that won't do.

Mindwipe

Worst sign of bad journalists. Can you imagine what it would be like if real journalists just catered to the rich and powerful instead of asking hard questions?

The worst part of it all? Nobody has asked anyone at Maxis or EA what their perfect Sunday is.

There are plenty of real journalists like that, unfortunately.

I'm pretty much just fine with throwing the current journalism industry under a bus to be honest. It's contribution to society is hugely negative.

Dead Man

'Name me 5'

*names 5

'Well you know what I don't like you'

Pretty much. I can only think that all these clown must think they are in the right, since every idiot and his mother knows you don't get into public twitter battles unless you are sure you are right, and even then think twice.

falastini

It's unfortunate that PC Gamer is the only major PC publication still around. I find them defending developers more often then consumers. And then there was that Dragon Age 2 review...

I wish GFW was still around.

It's unfortunate that PC Gamer is the only major PC publication still around. I find them defending developers more often then consumers. And then there was that Dragon Age 2 review...

I wish GFW was still around.

Tom Hatfield is just a freelancer. The core of PC Gamer is pretty solid.

The way these guys talk on twitter. So weird. To publicly proclaim that your against exposing games journalism issues seems like a really bad idea.

DTKT

Man, again. Twitter is such a terrible platform for any discussion. It's impossible to read, makes conversations awkward and meaningless with the 140 characters limit.

I never understood most of the reviews for this. The problems with this game isn't a 'niche' thing. They are extremely obvious like a few hours in. You don't even need to be a 'city planning expert' to notice these things. And it's not even about the 'write for the casuals'. You are writing a review about a freaking city builder game. That audience tends to be a bit anal about details and systems, because that is the game.

Effect

I wish twitter would just let you type what you want and then just break it up into however many tweets are needed for the entire thing to be sent.

Lunar15

I seriously wonder if people know they're treating twitter like a private conversation when it's really akin to shouting through a megaphone to a large crowd.

Seriously, you would think people who have jobs in digital journalism would understand the implications of twitter and how to use it. Or how to deal with trolls, whether they have a point or not. Responding with snooty comments? Oh boy, that's really going to make people take your side! This is internet 101, people.

Also, as a side note, I tend to read tweets through the filter of whatever their avatar is, and Gies just happens to have a really grumpy looking one. It doesn't help him one bit. It's pretty funny, actually.

Ketch

You mean Fox news? Or MSNBC? CNN?

Seems like it's a industry standard regardless of the genre.

Shadders

The way these guys talk on twitter. So weird. To publicly proclaim that your against exposing games journalism issues seems like a really bad idea.

They don't understand their industry, same as with Lauren Wainwright, they're so used to their own inept (corrupt?) practices that they don't see the problem.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Bonus journalist defense force from PC gamer:
z4Cs1jP.jpg

This is amazing.

"I didn't want to name anyone specifically to avoid throwing specific outfits under the bus"

"Name five media outfits specifically"

"OK..."

"OMG you're throwing oufits under the bus!"

EA's whole shit with Sim City has ensured that I will never buy another EA game again. It was just the last straw for me. Props to RPS for keeping this shit from completely fading away.

Yeah, that conversation boggles my mind.

Walker: I'm not going to name and shame people in my industry.
Moran: Do it.
Walker: Polygon, Gamesbeat, EG SE, GamesTM, GameReactor
Moran: That's horrible, you named them!

I'm pretty sure the majority of the Game Media are just trolling for shits and giggles now. I can't take most of them seriously anymore. I suppose that's the point though. They don't write for us consumers, they write for the game publishers.

... and everything was MVC.

FStop7

Banned
I wonder if this is what conversations within parts of the music industry were like when they began to realize they were no longer relevant.

Lunar15

See, the thing is, raising hell now isn't what actually "gets the job done". It's what plants the seeds for when EA pulls out another clearly single player game that has always online DRM.

That's when you drag out all these articles and say, "do you people want to deal with this shit again?". That's what keeps people from buying into it. Sim City is largely a lost cause, but the point of keeping the argument alive is to spread information before the next incident.

JABEE

It's a disgrace that other outlets don't hold their peers to certain standards. Doing so is throwing others under the bus. If that's the only response you can come up with to that article, it's sad. It means yo believe that writers are complacent, but that you shouldn't criticize peers for being unprofessional, because it may hurt feelings.

Top Bottom