• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Walker's anti-BS SimCity news articles.

Guess Who

Banned
Eh, I'm not sure that is a completely apt analogy, because even though we dont "pay" for ABC/CBS/NBC and ect, they still must pander the the majority of their watchers.

Yeah, people who make this analogy tend to forget that advertisers wouldn't be paying for these ads if there weren't viewers to see them, and that sites running ads therefore have to appeal to the readers, or else there would be no readers, and thus no one to target with ads.

If awful journalism is what appeals to readers, well, whose fault is that?

Fantastic article, glad that someone did this when most other "journalists" are busy eating up PR bullshit.

Waiting for Arthur Gies amazing response.

Good show by Walker.

polygon is such a joke, man.

Polygon has been a bit of a letdown. I was really excited for the launch, hoping that they would bring a fresh perspective. Sadly it seems like the same bullshit that IGN and Gamespot put out, but in a flashier (and more difficult to use) website.

Vagabundo

This thread needs Simcity in the title.

RPS is now on my radar, I don't usually visit game "journalism" websites* due to the lapdance service they provide for publishers. Pogylon being the worst of them**.

* maybe Eurogamer for the occasional review.
** hyperbole, or is it?

Yagharek

Polygon has been a bit of a letdown. I was really excited for the launch, hoping that they would bring a fresh perspective. Sadly it seems like the same bullshit that IGN and Gamespot put out, but in a flashier (and more difficult to use) website.

The only way polygon could not be a letdown would be if you already expected them to be as bad as it gets. They are (somehow) inferior than the worst of ign, kotaku, gamespot et al put together.

unbias

Fantastic article, glad that someone did this when most other "journalists" are busy eating up PR bullshit.

Waiting for Arthur Gies amazing response.

He's pretending it didn't happen and now just making the argument that the game just "isn't for them" if they don't like what the game is doing.

Vagabundo

John Walker said:
I feel very bad for many of the developers at Maxis, who would have set out to make the best game they could. They, of all people, should possibly be the angriest – to see their creation so needlessly broken, so cruelly and stupidly trapped in an online-only prison, cursed to piss players off where it should be providing them fun. I would like to see them speak out too – they should have their voices heard, let them express their frustration.

Ha! I like this: and appeal to Maxis devs to become anon sources.

unbias

This thread needs Simcity in the title.

RPS is now on my radar, I don't usually visit game "journalism" websites* due to the lapdance service they provide for publishers. Pogylon being the worst of them**.

* maybe Eurogamer for the occasional review.
** hyperbole, or is it?

Ya, thanks, just realized I didn't/should have done that, got it added(SimCity that is). Assuming it updates after, otherwise I'll have to get a mod to do it.

Ceebs

At least a few more people will read RPS because of this. It is seriously the best gaming news site out there.

Tons of coverage for games that do not even get a mention on the bigger sites, good reviews (without scores I might add) that really tell you what that reviewer actually thought about the game instead of distilling it into a feature list.

Their reviews are not always the most prompt thing out there (they are a PC site so they are at the mercy of when they can get access to the PC version of a game) but they are always informative. For the the big titles where the staff has a different opinion they will sometimes even post a dissenting piece. (John actually did 2 posts about Far Cry 3. One gushing praise, the other read like a hate piece)

Considering what The Verge is and the people they hired, this was the only conclusion. The Verge isn't particularly good either unless you're looking for a fairly prompt and complete mainstream tech news respiratory. The reviews rely on presentation rather than solid content (compare their smartphone reviews to, say, Anandtech's) and many of their features have the exact same problem. Its a personality driven site at the end of the day and people who like their reviews are reading them because they feel a connection with the writer's taste. This is literally why you visit Giant Bomb but that's perfectly fine for them because they've made it clear from the start that they are what they are.

You don't need effort or specifics when putting out an opinion when people are willing to accept what you write on the basis that "my tastes are similar to his tastes in games". I don't care what your biases are but you need to explain why that might be the case without sounding like a prat. Really that's the fault of too many game reviews: if I read it, am I any wiser or am I just reading some dude's opinion? Since Polygon is a sister site of The Verge and The Verge is heavily focused on having reviewers post opinions and nothing else, Polygon's failure to bring a fresh perspective isn't unsurprising.

The really sad part is that a dude who goes 'Uh, what you just said contradicts basic facts' needs to be lauded so much in the world of games journalism.

Kudos to Walker.

unbias

Considering what The Verge is and the people they hired, this was the only conclusion. The Verge isn't particularly good either unless you're looking for a fairly prompt and complete mainstream tech news respiratory. The reviews rely on presentation rather than solid content (compare their smartphone reviews to, say, Anandtech's) and many of their features have the exact same problem. Its a personality driven site at the end of the day and people who like their reviews are reading them because they feel a connection with the writer's taste. This is literally why you visit Giant Bomb but that's perfectly fine for them because they've made it clear from the start that they are what they are.

You don't need effort or specifics when putting out an opinion when people are willing to accept what you write on the basis that "my tastes are similar to his tastes in games". I don't care what your biases are but you need to explain why that might be the case without sounding like a prat. Really that's the fault of too many game reviews: if I read it, am I any wiser or am I just reading some dude's opinion? Since Polygon is a sister site of The Verge and The Verge is heavily focused on having reviewers post opinions and nothing else, Polygon's failure to bring a fresh perspective isn't unsurprising.

Ya, good point about poly. The only thing I would add is, I think the reason that all they do is give some dudes opinion, is because that is all they can do. More so then even in most fields is, they just dont know as much in terms of games, then their fanbase, imo. That is a problem if they have the ability to dictate quality in games, to the point of effecting paychecks among the industry.

Soodes

Saw this on his personal site, hope it hasn't been posted around here yet!

"Keep Up To Date With Polygon’s SimCity Score"
polygif.gif

Good stuff :)

DocSeuss

The news is just basic news, the reviews are a mixed bag (depends on the individual reviewer), but I've felt like the features are top-notch. Don't really think many people are putting out features on par with theirs. I see 'em occasionally (LMNO article on 1up, for instance--but that guy works for Polygon now, iirc), but not near often enough. I love that stuff.

Jac_Solar

it's ridiculous.

from what I remember of what I saw posted here from the leak, low population numbers are accurate, but as the population increases they basically add a mulitiplier to make the numbers much higher than they are.

the folks who did the offline patch also got the game to display the correct population number, I believe.

obviously Maxis's thought process was that they could make people feel better about the small city size by inflating the number of sims that "live" in the city.

unfortunately, if you're asking a player to make decisions for a simulation, feeding them false information is a good way to make sure they have a bad time

Not defending any of their decisions regarding the game, but didn't all the SimCity games have a fudgedpopulation, or something else with the same effect?

unbias

Not defending any of their decisions regarding the game, but didn't all the SimCity games have a fudgedpopulation, or something else with the same effect?

4 I believe sim'd the population sorta the same way, but it was patched and modded out, if I remember, pretty quick. The rest of them though, the population was a math equation in regards to how you built your city, I believe. Either way the numbers wernt excessively bloated like they are in 5.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
can someone please break this piece up in to 192 character fragments so i can understand it? preferably with some positive reinforcement from his trusted allies to back it up.

The news is just basic news, the reviews are a mixed bag (depends on the individual reviewer), but I've felt like the features are top-notch. Don't really think many people are putting out features on par with theirs. I see 'em occasionally (LMNO article on 1up, for instance--but that guy works for Polygon now, iirc), but not near often enough. I love that stuff.

Some of their features are really cool, and for those the layout also serves really well. But in those cases it's probably a lot because they're just reporting on stuff that is interesting in and of itself. Their reviews themselves I don't think I could disagree with more, and the layout becomes more of an nuisance and a spectacle after a while instead of a helpful or intuitive presentation format.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The funny thing is, he's not really doing anything special.

He's just putting together the obvious from the last couple of weeks, and acting like a normal human being who understands what logic and contradictions are.

Unfortunately, that seems to be well beyond what the majority of the PR mouthpieces we call games journalists can handle.

The whole system is broken. The game publishers, PR and games journalists are all in this together, with the reader as the enemy.

You read some of these articles, press releases and twitter posts, and you can feel the distaste they have for the consumer dripping from every disgusting word.

But that's not because these games 'journalists' are failing, it's because they aren't journalists in the first place. Like many other areas, most of these sites are just glorified blogs, aggregating PR releases from the companies in their sector in an attempt to bring in page views, and then they strap varying amounts of editorial on top. That isn't journalism, but it is what the Internet is turning into - in many fields, not just gaming.

ElRenoRaven

You know the more this John Walker guy calls the bs out in the industry the more I'm liking him. We need more journalists like him who aren't afraid to call out the lies and bullshit.

Gannd

Banned
You know the more this John Walker guy calls the bs out in the industry the more I'm liking him. We need more journalists like him who aren't afraid to call out the lies and bullshit.

He actually understands that he isn't in the video game industry. Tits like the wankers at Polygon refer to themselves as being in the video game industry all the fucking time. That is a big part of the problem. When you consider yourself in the "industry" you want to protect your home base.

Suzzopher

He actually understands that he isn't in the video game industry. Tits like the wankers at Polygon refer to themselves as being in the video game industry all the fucking time. That is a big part of the problem. When you consider yourself in the "industry" you want to protect your home base.

Jeff Green said in the other journalist thread that it irks him too. I know a couple of sports journalists and one who reviews movies, they just call themselves journalists. Why do the gaming press(mostly American) consider themselves in the game industry? They cover the game industry, but they are not part of the game industry, not even close.

Suzzopher

In the case of Gies' tweets on Sim City, you could consider him a volunteer. Or depending on what has been said over drinks with someone that we'll never know about, an unpaid intern with unspecified perks. He doesn't just say he's part of the industry, he acts like it.

Otherwise you can't really account for his tone. If he was a dispassionate third party, he could have a more positive opinion of EA/SimCity than average. But when he goes on the offensive like he has over it, it comes off like he's defending friends. Same goes for Justin McElroy tweeting that if people are voting for EA as the "worst company in America" he isn't doing his job. The only job that would be invested in that is public relations... Or, more likely, some people who work there that he likes too much to properly cover the company.

The worst thing about this, much like with Kotaku, is that they have people who put together some very nice features that will always be tainted by their association with these shills. It's hard to see something as nice on the surface as that expose of what went down with Homefront, without wondering if an EA equivalent -- or indeed, an equivalent related to a publisher that isn't imploding as it is written -- would ever be published in similar form. That's the damage these non-journalists do, even to the people who are consistently doing good work.

Some of Polygon's features are actually great pieces of journalism.

I applaud John Walker and RPS for being real journalists. It's just disgusting to watch Arthur Gies and other "journalists" acting like glorified PR and getting pissed at people who do actual journalism. When a journalist is the "most hated guy in the industry" you know he's good.

What is it with EA and releasing games in March that piss on the consumer and reveal just how out of touch "games journalism" is?

Which is the crux of the problem isn't it? Their best content has always been secondary, but very interesting, gaming related pieces done by what seem to be contributors and freelancers.

If journalistic integrity was the aim here, Vox Media should follow a journal structure since obviously that's what their USP is right now. But they're here to make money at the end of the day so they're a "mainstream and relevant" gaming website that hired a lot of big names (lol) and used the The Verge as a stepping stone. The fact their features are sometimes very good doesn't solve the problem that their primary content (which is the critical problem with games journalism right now) is just as awful as the majority of content in this industry. A few good features is something a lot of websites can occasionally do, even Kotaku can do it reliably enough, so that's not really something Polygon should be able to hide behind.

Rolf NB

Yeah, people who make this analogy tend to forget that advertisers wouldn't be paying for these ads if there weren't viewers to see them, and that sites running ads therefore have to appeal to the readers, or else there would be no readers, and thus no one to target with ads.
The cost of booking an ad depends on the statistical amount of visitors a page or site generates. Letting a site dwindle into irrelevancy or helping it thrive is a zero-sum game from the perspective of advertisers. They choose who is compatible with their goals and support them. Compatibility wanes? Support wanes proportionally.
Guess Who said:
If awful journalism is what appeals to readers, well, whose fault is that?
What readers?

Some of Polygon's features are actually great pieces of journalism.

Essentially, Polygon is neo Escapist (pre-Zero Punctuation). The features are worthwhile, everything else is junk. I'd prefer it if they went to the initial model of the Escapist (i.e. nothing but features), but then they'd probably get no money.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Picking a fight with Walker was such a mistake.

Great piece.

In the case of Gies' tweets on Sim City, you could consider him a volunteer. Or depending on what has been said over drinks with someone that we'll never know about, an unpaid intern with unspecified perks. He doesn't just say he's part of the industry, he acts like it.

Otherwise you can't really account for his tone. If he was a dispassionate third party, he could have a more positive opinion of EA/SimCity than average. But when he goes on the offensive like he has over it, it comes off like he's defending friends. Same goes for Justin McElroy tweeting that if people are voting for EA as the "worst company in America" he isn't doing his job. The only job that would be invested in that is public relations... Or, more likely, some people who work there that he likes too much to properly cover the company.

The worst thing about this, much like with Kotaku, is that they have people who put together some very nice features that will always be tainted by their association with these shills. It's hard to see something as nice on the surface as that expose of what went down with Homefront, without wondering if an EA equivalent -- or indeed, an equivalent related to a publisher that isn't imploding as it is written -- would ever be published in similar form. That's the damage these non-journalists do, even to the people who are consistently doing good work.

I think all of this is true, but fundamentally he's just unable to admit he was wrong and did a poor job. That, I think, is what more primordially triggers a defense mechanism in us all. Yes, he's a cheerleader, no, he's not impartial, and no, he's not critical in any meaningful way, but hell if we aren't all insecure as a society. You want me to admit I did a bad job?

It's so much harder for the features section of the site to pull this routine because there is no real defense for poor writing in that context.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. That's the problem. You're not in the industry. You're covering the industry. That's a huge difference. Your industry is supposed to be journalism. So many of these PR repeaters forget that and do nothing but repeat the PR they're sent. I don't even call them journalists because they aren't. Most are an extension of the PR machines anymore and it shows. That's why it's so nice to see guys like this calling them out on their bullshit. He has earned the title of journalist. He's actually being critical of the industry he's covering and asking questions that they don't want asked.

Garcia

A brilliant piece. I haven't bought SimCity yet, and it sounds like I never will. Not unless they fix all the simulation problems and remove the online requirement.

I suppose RPS can have my $60. EA clearly doesn't deserve it.

Don't EVER buy SimCity, even when it's 100% playable. Vote with your wallet against them.

unbias

Picking a fight with Walker was such a mistake.

Great piece.

I think all of this is true, but fundamentally he's just unable to admit he was wrong and did a poor job. That, I think, is what more primordially triggers a defense mechanism in us all. Yes, he's a cheerleader, no, he's not impartial, and no, he's not critical in any meaningful way, but hell if we aren't all insecure as a society. You want me to admit I did a bad job?

It's so much harder for the features section of the site to pull this routine because there is no real defense for poor writing in that context.

I dunno, when Bradshaw says this to Polygon:

“With the way that the game works, we offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers so that the computations are off the local PCs and are moved into the cloud. It wouldn’t be possible to make the game offline without a significant amount of engineering work by our team.”

And it goes unchallanged, combined with Arthur, it appears, even if it is just perception it is perception they are fine with. It isn't just that he doesn't like to admit he was wrong, but they have an angle that isn't consumer 1st, but publisher/dev 1st.

DTKT

Sent 24$ their way. It's kind of sad that that someone who isn't regurgitating press releases isn't the norm.

Gaming "journalism" is a pretty big joke.

solarus

Why does the gaming press generally bend over to big publishers? Press have the power, it's not the other way around.

You give a game a shit score, people will avoid the game. You get blacklisted they give your company bad press. It's lose lose for game companies but somehow they have come up with a system that makes it seem they have all the power.

They have some inane and completely retarded tendency to be biased towards the devs and publishers in any situation, it's always just entitled gamers whining, problems are never treated with the seriousness they deserve since they are willing to give publishers the benefit of the doubt in any situation ever "oh it must be so difficult launching a game as big as this, these consumers and gamers just don't understand". Consumers raging about a game being broken with bugs and technical problems? "Well we didn't get those problems (most of the time) so fuck you".

unbias

They have some inane and completely retarded tendency to be biased towards the devs and publishers in any situation, it's always just entitled gamers whining, problems are never treated with the seriousness they deserve since they are willing to give publishers the benefit of the doubt in any situation ever "oh it must be so difficult launching a game as big as this, these consumers and gamers just don't understand". Consumers raging about a game being broken with bugs and technical problems? "Well we didn't get those problems (most of the time) so fuck you".

Yup, and with SimCity they have been defending them with slight critiques, that seem like they are not defending them but really are, by reiterating over and over that it isnt the always online DRM that is the problem, but that it wasnt done good enough.

That is essentially telling the consumer what they should be fine with and what they shouldnt.

Saty

Might be worth (another) new thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ffline-regional-play-easily-done/#more-146044

RPS speaks with the modder.

“I’ve analyzed all of the data calls to and from EA servers – all of the APIs, every request for data, and all of the data that comes back,” explains the modder. And in doing so, he’s found some surprising results. “The SimCity servers are not doing any calculations that could not be done on your PC, even for an entire region single player offline mode, let alone just the city you are in.”

“The server side calculations are all, frankly, rubbish.” Ah. In his opinion, clearly. “Every bit of it,” he continues. “The only ‘good’ they do at the moment is for a multiplayer region – they are just a way for my city to tell your city how much power I have spare, and update that data every few minutes while I play. A middleman of sorts.”

The servers are terrible, the MySQL set-up sloppy, and they are trying to handle all of the saving server side (“the cloud”) which is bogging them down constantly – they aren’t optimized for how many simultaneous cities are connected at once. Hell, this “cloud” saving isn’t even very clever is it – if you change servers, all your saves are gone. They don’t even “cloud” your saves between their own servers.”

More in the link.

Top Bottom