• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Walker's anti-BS SimCity news articles.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Walker's commentary on this fiasco just illustrates how utterly useless some of the other media sites are. Gies could not possibly be making Polygon look worse right now and I have to wonder at what point will that site get banned from gaf.

Riggs

Banned
Heh, fine with me, I hope the idea sticks, because I don't know how else to describe how they come across(more specifically Arthur) to me.

Oh I wasn't trying to call him out, I laughed my ass off. Cloving is awesome : )

But ya that is funny as shit. Maybe you both literally just thought of that hah.

Grief.exe

I don't get why everyone is giving this guy the time of day. He's probably rock fucking hard from all the attention he's getting right now.

Wish we could all get back to hating EA/Maxis and Simcity.

Its good to sniff out the garbage 'journalists' at the same time.

2 birds 1 stone.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
On EA

"came to Ayzenberg's social team with a challenge: Help them grow and manage a social community for one of their biggest games ever, Battlefield 3. Today, as part of a successful program, we initiate an average of 15,000 points of conversation daily across several titles. This continual interaction drives real brand engagement, and that in turn leads to increased sharing, referral, and ultimately sales."

::rocks back and forth::

this thread is pretty much confirming everything I've believe for the past gen.

I hope things get more exposed before the new gen ramps up. The industry desperately needs it.

Riggs

Banned
8xHF2pP.png
Wow .....

I have trouble reading twitter convo's sometimes so for anyone w/ my affliction, basically that guy is calling John Walker one of the most hated guys in the industry. Unbelievable lol.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Wow .....

I have trouble reading twitter convo's sometimes so for anyone w/ my affliction, basically that guy is calling John Walker one of the most hated guys in the industry. Unbelievable lol.

Ben Parfitt works for MCV which is more of a retail orientated site isn't it ? Not that I pay much attention to the games press in general but he's certainly not someone anyone gives a shit about.

PaulLFC

Wow .....

When stuff like this happens you can really see the difference between journalists and "journalists".

Walker does actual research and is not afraid to tell it how it is in his articles, no matter how many nerves he may touch in the process (like Parfitt's, evidently). Others are fine just regurgitating PR left right and centre and leaping to the defence of their "buddies" in the industry.

Yagharek

On EA

"came to Ayzenberg's social team with a challenge: Help them grow and manage a social community for one of their biggest games ever, Battlefield 3. Today, as part of a successful program, we initiate an average of 15,000 points of conversation daily across several titles. This continual interaction drives real brand engagement, and that in turn leads to increased sharing, referral, and ultimately sales."

::rocks back and forth::

this thread is pretty much confirming everything I've believe for the past gen.

I hope things get more exposed before the new gen ramps up. The industry desperately needs it.

Yes, some serious astroturfing going on. Shady behaviour indeed.

Basically says to me you cant trust any positive word of mouth on EA games since it's all massaged discussion points.

Basically says to me you cant trust any positive word of mouth on EA games since it's all massaged discussion points.
Never heard of this ayzenberg before but if you Google ayzenberg battlefield 3 (was a google suggestion) you get some BF3 forum posts that give away the feeling that ayzenberg is the lalilulelo of the BF3 forums.

But good thing there is a official name for it. GAF is probably full of ayzenbergs.

unbias

Ya, reading that is something I really wish I didnt do. It creates possibilities, even though I thought could happen, I could always chalk it up to conspiracy theories... Now I have to consider it being an every day reality.

Riggs

Banned
Meh, it doesnt matter. If giantbomb(rightfully so) can get huge fans of their site then so can RPS, it is no different. So...erm suck away?

But I don't want to suck any penis today : (

When stuff like this happens you can really see the difference between journalists and "journalists".

Walker does actual research and is not afraid to tell it how it is in his articles, no matter how many nerves he may touch in the process (like Parfitt's, evidently). Others are fine just regurgitating PR left right and centre and leaping to the defence of their "buddies" in the industry.

Ya I wish it wasn't like this but I fully agree.

Fixed1979

Never heard of this ayzenberg before but if you Google ayzenberg battlefield 3 (was a google suggestion) you get some BF3 forum posts that give away the feeling that ayzenberg is the lalilulelo of the BF3 forums.

But good thing there is a official name for it. GAF is probably full of ayzenbergs.

Before the end of the week I will use the phrase "Dude don't be an Ayzenberg".

By the way Walker withdrew his tweet regarding this

unbias

Before the end of the week I will use the phrase "Dude don't be an Ayzenberg".

By the way Walker withdrew his tweet regarding this

Ya, I noticed, which is why I took away his tweet as a reference, and now it is just something I find related. Looks like he got in a fight with a former Bioware employee and took it down a little later.

Yagharek

I personally believe corruption is the norm in the games media/publishing/PR business now. There is so much of it that it is impossible to take previews or reviews seriously at all.

unbias

I personally believe corruption is the norm in the games media/publishing/PR business now. There is so much of it that it is impossible to take previews or reviews seriously at all.

Well ya, once publicly traded companies get heavily involved shady practices normally are not far behind.

pelican

That last phrase, ouch. This guy is one of the best reporters of the industry, I know this because Ben Parfitt hates .

Ben Parfitt is a hack who works for the dregs of British Game Journalism. MCV. A trade magazine with little influence or insight in how the industry operates.

unbias

Look's as though Walker deleted the earlier tweet about that marketing company after someone from Maxis said that wasn't the case.

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/313052352825409536

No, that is a different arguement(about the same website though). The original argument is gone, because, it was linked to the marketing company tweet. It was a ex bioware employee saying that there wasnt enough at the website to implicate that they do it for forums as well, and that most companies use that sort of thing for facebook and twitter(he didnt deny that they use this for forums though).

I'm guessing since the guy was technically right, he left the speculation out of it on his personal twitter because the guy was essentially saying that it represented RPS. It doesn't make the marketing companies EA statement any better, it is just John, I think, admitting it was speculation and removed it thus.

That is why I removed his tweet from the OP, but am still keeping the website, since it is still relevent, imo.

Yagharek

Well ya, once publicly traded companies get heavily involved shady practices normally are not far behind.

I expect that, but what irks me most is the attack campaign from publishers like EA against informed consumers. Use of words like entitled in the pejorative case as an example.

That they are so blatant about it is also astounding.

Interesting to see Walker deleted the tweet about astroturfing outsourcing, maybe smart to cover his arse lest he end up like Florence with all sorts of problems such as being hounded by legal teams defending the indefensible.

unbias

I expect that, but what irks me most is the attack campaign from publishers like EA against informed consumers. Use of words like entitled in the pejorative case as an example.

That they are so blatant about it is also astounding.

Interesting to see Walker deleted the tweet about astroturfing outsourcing, maybe smart to cover his arse lest he end up like Florence with all sorts of problems such as being hounded by legal teams defending the indefensible.

Ya, I agree. There clearly is a strong desire for astroturfing for EA... The EA guy who chimed in after the ex-bioware employee, never stated that EA wasn't doing this, only that the company that does the analyses wasn't doing it...which wasn't the point.

Riggs

Banned
Unbias I am reading Walker's twitter feed , it just won't stop. EA marketing guy and him are talking now. Soooo much shit to quote.

lol this Erik Reynolds is pretty funny though, I must admit.

unbias

Unbias I am reading Walker's twitter feed , it just won't stop. EA marketing guy and him are talking now. Soooo much shit to quote.

Sr.Dir Worldwide Communications - EA Maxis
Erik Reynolds
@buzzspinner (go figure that one)

lol this Erik Reynolds is pretty funny though, I must admit.

Ya, I've been reading twitter back and forth from:

https://twitter.com/botherer

https://twitter.com/buzzspinner

https://twitter.com/bokkiedog

And the "wiggling" that Erik is doing, hilarious to read. He is saying things without actually saying things, kind of amazing, I'm impressed.

Think he blocked me lol

@aegies you have no integrity, your attitude is horrible, and you cannot admit when you are wrong. Keep doing what your are doing though.

GG

That's all I wrote, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful at all. People are calling him faggot (sorry about using this word but it's true he retweeted one of them), and all kinds of really rude shit. Is what I said that bad? Or is he just a total dick who cannot take criticism at all?

I like how someone else took it upon themselves to defend Aegies honour. How dare you question his integrity?!

Riggs

Banned
Ya he is the spin master!!

This bokiedog is just some regular joe.

Erik is cracking me up though, he told me no no you can be part of the conversation open dialogue is good, but John is right we should handle this offline through proper channels.

He just spun me!

Then said he could spin this conversation into a sweater ...

This guy is winning me over : (

I like how someone else took it upon themselves to defend Aegies honour. How dare you question his integrity?!

I have one guy saying to me "Gies obviously said he was wrong" ... then later cannot provide a link, saying, "even if he said he was wrong, people would be like "Fuck you shitty game journalist". I love twitter lol.

Pasco_

Banned
John Walker is good peoples. Him, Jim Sterling and Tom Bramwell are some of the only truly pro-consumer writers in the industry.

As for Arthur and the rest, might as well get some more mileage from this:
4FAjAml.gif

Edit: Great, now I have to make an Erik version of this.

Riggs

Banned
Omg , don't make an Erik version!! Poor Erik will have to spin this too.

"Movie is obviously entirely CGI, we do not comment on CGI films as we are a gaming company. Thank you for understanding and we hope you are enjoying Sim City"

Erik favorited my tweet. Yayyy life is complete.

unbias

Can someone explain in more detail exactly what this Ayzenberg company does for EA?

It is a social media PR and advertisement(in a sense) company for companies looking to improve PR, advertising, and to help create a narrative among the public that is looked healthy upon, for publishers/content creators as a whole and to create a network community(between consumers and the content creators/publishers) that helps promote the brand.

I remember Chandronait from the dying breaths of 1UP. He took tooldom to new heights with his attitude, so if you're getting tweet support from him its time to take a long hard look in the mirror and get a new tattoo.

Read my mind. He had the oddest opinions on 1up show and Area 5.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It is a social media PR and advertisement(in a sense) company for companies looking to improve PR, advertising, and to help create a narrative among the public that is looked healthy upon, for publishers/content creators as a whole and to create a network community(between consumers and the content creators/publishers) that helps promote the brand.

Thanks for the explanation.

Sentenza

Wow .....

This is disgusting regardless of what your opinion of John Walker can be.

unbias

Thanks for the explanation.

Ya, the company itself isnt actually horrible, but it does give way to much thought into the astroturfing, which while has always been suspected never has there ever been something(company wise) to point to that gives credence to the idea, that site definitely gives credence to the idea. And with that ex-bioware employee that got in that little tat with Walker, he made it sound like everyone uses them, which makes it much worse sounding, then just the website itself.

Riggs

Banned
This is disgusting regardless of what your opinion of John Walker can be.

Agreed, sad thing is I think John Walker is one of the best in the industry and I am not even that big of a RPS fan. I don't comment there, I don't go to their forums, I just have them on my RSS via android. I appreciate the honesty and how they are not snarky assholes ( most of the time )

This Sim City shit is proving though that he does not give a fuck, and will ask questions. It's not personal, it's just calling people out on their bullshit and I respect that.

Yagharek

Oh. So it's like Polygon?

Top Bottom