• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smidget

Question: Is there anything (spoilers from the first movie)
super depressing like his dog getting killed
in this one? I had to skip that part like a wimp in the first one...

Radec

Did you miss Jimmy, he's in the first movie as well.

Gas leak, John?

Yeah saw him. But after that I've see nothing which is weird.
it's like they are avoiding these assassins

Nope. It's all good. The pit bull was a good dog!

does he actually kill someone with a pencil in this?

Yes.
does he actually kill someone with a pencil in this?
A fucking pensil.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone who has seen the movie, how is the soundtrack? I loved the music in the first one, both the soundtrack and licensed tracks they used (kaleida, ciscandra).

HeatBoost

The dread in this movie is more existential and looming than anything as tangible and visceral like that.

If the first movie was about what amount to crazy decisions because that's what emotional satisfaction demands, the sequel is about how maybe that isn't the best idea if you want to live a long life of minimal anxiety

Only small complaint I had was that Ruby Rose felt off the whole movie to me. Not threatening, not a badass, just a sarcastic asshole who was
destined to die at Wick's hand
. Ms. Perkins from the first movie was a much better character for me.

Grisby

Going to see it tonight!
Have they ever explained what those coins they pay for everything are worth? He gave the gun guy 1 for 4 guns, the blueprint guy 4 coins for the prints and they payed for their 2 drinks with 1 coin.
It's gold. Which would probably be the best currency to use if you're an assassin.
Do you really care about this shit?
I'm honestly asking, because seriously, I think it's pretty obvious they just wanted something that looks cool and a bit weird but still understood as money. It gives texture to this surreal world and it sidesteps the issue of people thinking things like "well that a lot of money for cleaning up a house" which is not what you want your audience to be doing.
Do you really think a movie like John Wick needs an expository dialog explaining how their monetary system came to be?
Yeah, you could come up with something, it's fiction, you can pull whatever you want out of your ass, but I think it will almost certainly be more boring than the light mystery that we have now.

That mindset is what got us the fucking Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels.
I'm not saying you're responsible for them, that would be silly, but I am saying the Jar Jar Binks is 100% your personal fault and you should be ashamed.
Holy crap. Take a breath.

sirap

Only small complaint I had was that Ruby Rose felt off the whole movie to me. Not threatening, not a badass, just a sarcastic asshole who was

imo Ruby Rose can't act for shit and I thought it was hilarious how they handled her character.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
This was awesome. Its just a bigger version of the first movie, which is all I wanted. The body count is probably about triple the original. I loved that the climax was an homage to
Enter the Dragon
. The only thing I think they could have done more with is deaf Justin Bieber.
She gets built up for a while and then gets rekt

Yeah saw him. But after that I've see nothing which is weird.
it's like they are avoiding these assassins

I think it's implied that
cops turn a blind eye to any goings on regarding the Continental assassins or the underworld dealings in general. Otherwise it's just one of those movie things you have to roll with. Realistically you wouldn't be able to have a car chase in downtown New York either with all the traffic, but the movie starts with that. TV and movie New York are always way less populated than real New York.

Also there was one scene where there was really obvious green screen. Didn't ruin the movie for me, but it was pretty funny to see.
It was when John and Cassian were circling the fountain. Very obviously blurred around the edges of their bodies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm honestly asking, because seriously, I think it's pretty obvious they just wanted something that looks cool and a bit weird but still understood as money. It gives texture to this surreal world and it sidesteps the issue of people thinking things like "well that a lot of money for cleaning up a house" which is not what you want your audience to be doing.
Do you really think a movie like John Wick needs an expository dialog explaining how their monetary system came to be?
Yeah, you could come up with something, it's fiction, you can pull whatever you want out of your ass, but I think it will almost certainly be more boring than the light mystery that we have now.

I'm not saying you're responsible for them, that would be silly, but I am saying the Jar Jar Binks is 100% your personal fault and you should be ashamed.

firm but fair

jelly

She is awful in everything.

Saw it last night, amazing sequel. It starts a bit slow but once the action kicks in OMG, it's the first movie times 10. The world building is fantastic, it really expands the assassin world the way a good sequel should. I love this series, I need more.

The casual subway shootout is the best thing ever.

bigkrev

The other thing is she was in XXX: Return of Xander Cage and the most recent Resident Evil movie, so I've seen her in 3 different movies in theaters in the span of something like 4 weeks.

opricnik

Banned
I'm guessing John can cash that in as a get out of jail free card or something from the Continental. Maybe won't call off the contract, but he can make a blood oath with someone so that he will return the favor down the line. I imagine someone out there will want John's skills over his bounty so it may come in handy. I don't know how it would work out, but a Wick and Cassian team up would be awesome. I'm actually surprised they didn't team up to take down Bad Guy. But I guess he had a knife in his aorta.

gonna blood oath girl and Girl + Wick as finale film to trilogy.

B O O K Markit.

gonna blood oath girl and Girl + Wick as finale film to trilogy.

B O O K Markit.
I don't know. The fact that they always cushioned her up with other henchmen makes me think she's not cut out for extended solo action like Keanu is. Common proved himself capable and I'd rather see him and Keanu team up.

Haruko

So are Cassian and the female bodyguard definitely dead? Or both still alive? Or one of the other? It seems a little cheap that they kept death ambiguous for the both of them. Kill a character or don't, but it is cheesy to try and have it both ways for two of the principal villains......especially when you do it the same way both times, with a knife stuck in each one's chest.

Cassian probably survives, as he was told how to.

The girl, well, she pulled the knife OUT of her chest, before signing to John "Be seeing you"... and then her face goes still.

Damn

I don't know if it was better than Fury Road, but it was certainly the Fury Road of close-quarters gun-fu

John Wick 2 was everything I wanted it to be. Fantastic action, a deeper look at its world, and style to spare.

My only minor gripe is that there was no moment as perfectly in sync as the Kaleida/Red Cycle scene from the first movie

But the sequel more than makes up for that with some incredible potential for a third movie:

-
High Table out for revenge
-
John Wick on the run
-
Perhaps a network for rogue/excommunicated members, outside of the Continental

Dopus

Banned

He was just asking an innocent question.

ColdPizza

Banned
Damn

John Wick 2 was everything I wanted it to be. Fantastic action, a deeper look at its world, and style to spare.

I'm assuming you mean the assassin's guild.

This is what I'm looking forward to most. They mostly hinted at it in the first and it intrigued me.

had been looking forward to this movie and it more then live up to my expectations and then some. this is how you do action with class. all the world building on the
High Table, Continental, Markers
is just checking all my points on the list and it's truly wonderful in all of it's bloody brutal glory. I even winced a couple time because of how brutal some of the kills are and I absolutely love that about the film. that they were able to present this whole thing in such an elegant package is simply amazing.

And yes, the
pencil!

GhaleonEB

I'm heading to see this tonight.

Question - my older daughter hasn't seen the original, but has expressed interest in seeing this (and the first film). How dependent on the first is this, outside of world building? If the story leads off it I might try to snag it on Netflix this week and watch it with her, but if she won't be lost we might go together tonight.

The hand-to-hand in this movie blows the first one out of the water. I was impressed by how good the fights were. They felt like brutal slugfests.

sirap

Question - my older daughter hasn't seen the original, but has expressed interest in seeing this (and the first film). How dependent on the first is this, outside of world building? If the story leads off it I might try to snag it on Netflix this week and watch it with her, but if she won't be lost we might go together tonight.

I would definitely let her watch the first one first. I took my sister to see the second one and a lot of the motivation behind the plot was lost on her. The sequel doesn't spend a lot of time building sympathy for the protagonist so John might seem like a dick if you're going in blind :p

That said, she still enjoyed it as an action film, but I can't help but think that she would've appreciated the sequel more if she saw the first movie. A lot of my own enjoyment from this movie comes from the little details that flesh out the barely hinted at lore from the first movie.

Not really. I mean, I did a quick recap for my boyfriend on the drive over there cause it's not like there is much to John Wick 1. Legendary retired assassin who had his car stolen and his dog, which was a gift from his late wife, killed by mob boss' son. He seeks revenge. Also there's an assassin hotel club where other assassins stay at. He enjoyed it. There's a lot of new backstory added in JW2 that is even new to me and a bit hard to get because there are some thick ass accents in this movie.

So let's talk John Wick 3 possibilities

-
Cassian's definitely coming back. He was a near match for John. The two have unfinished business. He was left alive
-
1 was Wick fueled by blind revenge. 2 was prepared tactical Wick. 3 has to have rogue Wick on the run, Bourne-style.
-
Winston's dialogue made a point of saying networks affliated with the Continental. Would be interesting if there would other rival groups, or networks for excommunicated assassins
-
Power vacuum on the High Table, and the High Table out for revenge against Wick, could dovetail nicely. An all-out assassin turf war, and what better weapon to have on your side than Wick himself
-
An even broader global scope, since the contract is international, as well as the High Table having heads from different countries

DesmondGreer

Neo Member
Just got back from seeing chapter 2. As someone in the industry I was more than excited to see the sequel to john wick. But a few things stood out to me that definitely could have been handled better. Remember this is just my opinion. What makes john wick work is that he has drive. A force behind him that causes him to do what he does. In the original it was him losing his wife and dog. This is relatable to people in the sense of wanting revenge. But in the sequel
john is only brought back into the game because of the deal he made years prior with the Italian gentleman, he tells Keanu that he wants his sister to be killed so he can have a seat at the big table this does not have any real ground to stand on as the supposed force behind john for chapter 2. John could have simply ended him and taken on the consequences for not keeping his end of the bargain. Instead he chooses to become excomunicado from the continental. And loses everything. Now he is forced to always look over his shoulder. The writers broke the one rule, never, ever write yourself into a corner so that your story cannot continue accordingly. This was disappointing to me, as I think this will make chapter 3 either be the bomb of the franchise or it will at least hinder the writers from filling out the world in which john wicks story was being told.

But in the sequel
john is only brought back into the game because of the deal he made years prior with the Italian gentleman, he tells Keanu that he wants his sister to be killed so he can have a seat at the big table this does not have any real ground to stand on as the supposed force behind john for chapter 2. John could have simply ended him and taken on the consequences for not keeping his end of the bargain. Instead he chooses to become excomunicado from the continental. And loses everything. Now he is forced to always look over his shoulder. The writers broke the one rule, never, ever write yourself into a corner so that your story cannot continue accordingly. This was disappointing to me, as I think this will make chapter 3 either be the bomb of the franchise or it will at least hinder the writers from filling out the world in which john wicks story was being told.

Well, John was willing to respect the rules of the Continental at first and honor his blood oath. I imagine breaking a blood oath is punishable in death anyways. But agreeing to it just gets Cassian vowing revenge against him and backstabbed by the brother and a legion of assassins gunning for him anyways. I think the whole movie was making a point of John realizing that all these rules are just a web to keep him in the game. He realizes over the course of the movie what little difference it makes if he breaks the rules or not when respecting the rules gets people wanting to kill him anyways.

I don't think they wrote him into a corner at all. This is a natural progression of things. John was always going to go up against the people he worked for. Going from the bottom, the russian mafia, all the way to the top, the Continental/high table. It's the only way he will ever truly get out.

3 in Tokyo please or a cameo from Donnie yen

Or Iko Uwais from The Raid.

sirap

Just got back from seeing chapter 2. As someone in the industry I was more than excited to see the sequel to john wick. But a few things stood out to me that definitely could have been handled better. Remember this is just my opinion. What makes john wick work is that he has drive. A force behind him that causes him to do what he does. In the original it was him losing his wife and dog. This is relatable to people in the sense of wanting revenge. But in the sequel

IMO the overall theme of the second movie wasn't about revenge, but dealing with the consequences of your previous actions. The writers did a lot to hammer this into our heads (The marker, picking a fight with the russians, letting Morpheus live...) I'm pretty happy they moved on from revenge and focused on deconstructing John as a character (was he really out? He could've laid low instead of seeking revenge. He seeks the thrill etc)

Speaking of drive...the first movie was about John coming to terms with death and finding purpose in life. His dog's death, which represented the last link he had to his wife drove him to revenge but when all was said and done, he still felt empty. Getting a second dog was a sign that he was willing to try again. In the sequel, John accepting that assignment was him fighting for a chance to live (as opposed to the first movie where he simply lived to get revenge). Of course, it's great that John remains an imperfect character in the sequel. He still has trouble letting go, and losing every memory of his wife (hope you got that video backed on iCloud bruh) was the breaking point that led him to break Continental rules. This is a great example of the "yes-but, no-and" progression system a lot of writers use in fiction.

By the end of the film you get the feeling that John is done with pretenses and has finally embraced his reputation as the boogeyman.

They already worked together in Man of Tai Chai as well. Iko could work well as
an master assassin/bodyguard for when John goes after the entire international High Table

Maybe John could go into hiding somewhere in southeast asia and Iko Uwais is one of the people hunting him.

Vazduh

She can't act so no surprises there. She wasn't good in Resident Evil 6 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom