• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to see the film again on Saturday as a double-feature with LEGO Batman, and after thinking it over for a while, I think that there are some scenes where the music and action fit together really nicely, in the same way as in the Club scene in the first.

I wouldn't say that these moments are better than the Think scene, since that was absolutely perfect, but they do come close.

The first is the intense opera music during the Rome scene. The way the music blended with Gianna walking through the crowd sent chills down my spine. It was absolutely beautiful, and the music that comes on when John is fighting his way through the guards was just as intense.

The second is the really calm music that plays during the final gun battle. It just fits the art exhibit so well, being relaxing as calm colours flash through the mirror hall. I love the dissonance that comes with the intense action music playing while John is killing people before fading into the calm music when he's dispatched his targets. It reminds me of when you finish a level in Hotline Miami, and that weird drone plays. I love it.

Grisby

Really I thought that was extremely well done, a great way to get eyes everywhere. They're obviously not really bums, you can see them in the change room.

The ending piece with Ian McShane I thought got a little silly, it dropped a lot of the uniqueness of the assasins guild.
Yeah, I know. It just still felt a bit silly to me.

Bizazedo

Lol no, John doesn't get any credit for making "peace" with Stormare. Stormare would've just given him the car back, but John had to go and merc like sixteen of Stormare's dude's first, unprovoked.

Did he kill any of Stormare's guys? If I remember correctly, he made a point of not killing them (ignore that their bodily injures might cause death lol).

i.e., that one guy he shot in both knees? I think it's the only guy he DIDN'T shoot in the head after knee shots.

ramuh

Had a good showing on Saturday (haven't seen a movie in theaters in five years, yo they have reclining seats) with a few friends. If you like the first one you will like the second. I didn't really like the beginning part though. Felt a little too cheesy.

Ketch

Can anyone teach a dummy like me how to send the gif in the OP as an instant message in iOS?

I'm drunk and this is important

Joohanh

Everything meaningful about this film has already been said, so I won't repeat it - this is indeed, one of the greatest action movies of all time. It fills my heart with warmth and joy that we are served these kinds of masterpieces in these otherwise trying times.

One thing that I would like to add is a quote from the Variety review, which I think is well put:

But there’s a quality to the violence here that elevates it above the literal (and reprehensible) nihilism of movies like last year’s “Hardcore Henry,” and instead achieves something more akin to dance.

It is exactly so. Wick kills a ridiculous amount of people in the film, but the film does not sink into nihilism, which is, in itself, an amazing achievement. The style and the soul of the film keeps elevating it above a numbing slaughter-fest, and instead makes it a cathartic experience. It's like this Tolstoyan high ideal of nobleness. I love it.

Monocle

I saw this again and can confirm that it's fucking awesome. Certainly on par with the original, which is one of the greatest action films ever made.

Wigdogger

Boy, a lot of hyperbole in here. Chapter 2 was certainly enjoyable as a three-star film (out of 5), but it's not some action masterpiece. The body count is so comically high that the entire third act has no sense of danger or meaning. After about the 20th guy that Keanu chucks in an armbar while shooting two other guys, it sort of overplays its hand.

Don't get me wrong: the prologue and Act II (about 40 minutes of catacombs and some of the subway stuff) are quite entertaining, but the first act has a lot of table setting. Too many knowing looks and sitdowns. I also feel the film is about 20 minutes too long as well, and the third act is just sort of repeating all the previous tricks.

So it's John Wick versus the world now? Sort of ridiculous.

Again, I had a good time with it, but it's mainly for Keanu's dedication to getting super good with the weapon handling and the hand-to-hand choreography. The film looks great, too.

Like the Taken films or something, it's a case of a franchise almost becoming too big for its own good. You CAN have too much of a good thing.

fushi

Agreed with the poster above. This was enjoyable, but definitely a step back from the previous film. There was very little sense of danger once it became clear that Wick's literal plot armor can absorb just about everything.

Also, was it on purpose that Keanu's on-screen movement felt so stiff during the entire film? I rewatched some scenes from the first film and the choreography felt way smoother there. Then again, he did get hurt quite bad right at the start of the film, so maybe that was all part of the plan. Not sure.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. It's fucking awesome.
Yeah, we know he's not gonna die, just as we do with John McClane, James Bond, Indiana Jones, Rhama from The Raid and every other action hero known to man. It's the beautiful action that makes it, the great little character moments, that wonderful assassin universe that is its own microcosmos, the beautiful composition of certain shots etc.

I agree with Monocle, I think it's up there with the greatest action films ever made.

"Other people enjoyed this more than me! They must be exaggerating!! HYPERBOLE!"

...or, everyone is entitled to their opinions and it's perfectly reasonable that not everyone will enjoy the movie as much as the majority clearly have. It's ok to share your opinions without trying to undermine others.

Boy, a lot of hyperbole in here. Chapter 2 was certainly enjoyable as a three-star film (out of 5), but it's not some action masterpiece. The body count is so comically high that the entire third act has no sense of danger or meaning. After about the 20th guy that Keanu chucks in an armbar while shooting two other guys, it sort of overplays its hand.

Don't get me wrong: the prologue and Act II (about 40 minutes of catacombs and some of the subway stuff) are quite entertaining, but the first act has a lot of table setting. Too many knowing looks and sitdowns. I also feel the film is about 20 minutes too long as well, and the third act is just sort of repeating all the previous tricks.

So it's John Wick versus the world now? Sort of ridiculous.

Again, I had a good time with it, but it's mainly for Keanu's dedication to getting super good with the weapon handling and the hand-to-hand choreography. The film looks great, too.

Like the Taken films or something, it's a case of a franchise almost becoming too big for its own good. You CAN have too much of a good thing.
1. The more highly you value the action and gunfight choreography, the more you will like the movie and it will elevate your perception of the whole. It's not so much about hyperbole as it is about how much a core aspect of the film is valued and appreciated (especially due to how well that aspect is executed here).

2. Just to be clear, you're not equating Taken 2 and John Wick: Ch. 2 in terms of quality right? We can agree that JW2 is a better film than T2, no?

Fantastic sequel really appreciate the constant focus on reloads and checking the clip of an attackers gun. Props to everyone in the stunt department this movie was epic in terms of close quarter grapples and takedowns.

Loved the world building. Also, everyone is so good at
knowingly staring. When everyone's cell phone rings and they start to turn and face John,
it's so creepy and well done. I also really like how they sold the value of the gold coin while keeping it mysterious. Really well done by the
hobo
when he got it. The action sequences were fantastic like the first and I'm really looking forward to
chapter 3
. The
subway
scenes were excellent when the area is well lit with floruescent lighting highlighting the blood from gruesome takedowns.

Sephzilla

The ending of the movie slightly upsets me for an admittedly kind of silly reason.
John being excommunicated from The Continental sucks because that's one of my favorite aspects about both movies.

Skunkers

Can anyone teach a dummy like me how to send the gif in the OP as an instant message in iOS?

I'm drunk and this is important

Open the gif in it's own window in Safari and copy and paste it into messenger. I don't think animated gifs work right if you save them, but copy/paste works.

Pakesaker

Went and saw this yesterday and I really feel like it delivered. On par with the first one in my opinion. I had some reservations about a sequel since the first movie is one of my favorites, but the second is just as good.

Wigdogger

Well, in reference to Mr. Aaronology, I liked the film. What I'm counter-pointing is the hyperbole of declaring this "one of the greatest action films of all time." Like, would some people seriously put this in the same breath as Aliens, Predator, Mad Max, Drunken Master (remake), Raid 2, etc.?

1. The more highly you value the action and gunfight choreography, the more you will like the movie and it will elevate your perception of the whole. It's not so much about hyperbole as it is about how much a core aspect of the film is valued and appreciated (especially due to how well that aspect is executed here).

2. Just to be clear, you're not equating Taken 2 and John Wick: Ch. 2 in terms of quality right? We can agree that JW2 is a better film than T2, no?

(1) That's fine. It has superlative gun and hand-to-hand choreography in the second act, but it is absolutely the same rinse-and-repeat action by Act III. Don't get me wrong: Act II is excellent. That middle 40 minutes is a ton of fun, but the third act is completely deflated by the time it comes around.

(2) Obviously, JW2 is better. I'm simply saying that turning something into a franchise can be problematic, and Taken is a fairly appropriate analogue to this, I feel.

In general, the point I'm making is that I liked the film, but I'm kind of floored by people calling something "one of the greatest action films of all time" when it has:

- A slow first act with way too much table setting (after the great prologue)
- A totally watered down third act (fun house mirrors... because they basically had no other ideas)
- A completely limp villain
- An epilogue that's cool on paper but is sort of ridiculous when you realize that is just sort of stupid
- A hero that has zero vulnerability
- A lack of meaningful dialogue or funny one-liners
- A running time that's 20 minutes too long
- A shocking lack of dynamism for such a strong cast (Ian McShane could do that role in his sleep)

Really, where do you go from here for a third film? For John Wick to be John Wick, the choreography has to kind of stay the same, and I feel that will only hurt the film over time.

Love that 2nd act, though.

nOoblet16

I am willing to suspend my disbelief at everything except people casually sitting and watching while shit goes down. It's weird because at times they'll react but at others they'd just sit there like there's nothing going on. Which makes scenes like that shootout where they are walking and silently trying to take shots a bit uneven because seems to me no one really cares if two guys are having a go at each other with guns and what not so why bother being stealthy for any reason except getting a chuckle out of audience.

Breesus Christ

Neo Member
Saw it Sunday and man, just fantastic execution of action cinema!

My Top 5 action since the 2010's and probably all time

No particular order

The Raid
The Raid 2
John Wick
John Wick: chapter 2
Dredd (2012)

These movies are the gold standard as far as action movies.

Can't wait for part 3. KR is the goat!!!!

Well, in reference to Mr. Aaronology, I liked the film. What I'm counter-pointing is the hyperbole of declaring this "one of the greatest action films of all time." Like, would some people seriously put this in the same breath as Aliens, Predator, Mad Max, Drunken Master (remake), Raid 2, etc.?
rXyMU6N.gif

For the record I hate Dredd and never cared for any of the Predator entries. You can revisit GAF's Mad Max thread to find plenty of people who similarly found that movie underwhelming. And that's totally ok! That's how opinions work, Mr. Wigdogger. There's no need to accuse others of employing hyperbole simply because you didn't enjoy a thing as much as others.

nOoblet16

Saw it Sunday and man, just fantastic execution of action cinema!

My Top 5 action since the 2010's and probably all time

No particular order

The Raid
The Raid 2
John Wick
John Wick: chapter 2
Dredd (2012)

These movies are the gold standard as far as action movies.

Can't wait for part 3. KR is the goat!!!!

Mad Max: Fury Road isn't there...list is incomplete.

Rewatched the first one last night and saw the second one in theaters today, theater was packed at noon on a tuesday which is hopefully good news for the box office receipts. Loved it, the entire museum sequenced reminded me a lot of Enter the Dragon. John Wick seems a bit more of a bad guy after this movie but still a fantastic movie.

I hope the third one brings in more of Lt Daniels aka the receptionist at The Continental, he seems like a fascinating character who should get his own dog.

Everything about Rome was also spectacular, it reminded me a lot of Assassins Creed 2 which is ironic because I've been playing the remastered Ezio Collection on and off for a while now (HIGHLY recommend it!). Also would recommend the Hitman 2016 game for anyone who loved the two Wick movies, they go hand in hand very well.

Wigdogger

rXyMU6N.gif

For the record I hate Dredd and never cared for any of the Predator entries. You can revisit GAF's Mad Max thread to find plenty of people who similarly found that movie underwhelming. And that's totally ok! That's how opinions work, Mr. Wigdogger. There's no need to accuse others of employing hyperbole simply because you didn't enjoy a thing as much as others.

Okay there, bud.

And yeah, that is how opinions work. People are allowed to counterpoint hyperbole, especially when no one is really articulating why this is some sent-from heaven action film. If you're content to keep blowing smoke up the movie's ass, then have at it.

About halfway through the film, I thought it would be something special. By the end, it had fallen to something much more ordinary.

I need to rewatch it to really make a fully informed judgment, but as of right now, it's up there with Raid/Raid 2 and Fury Road as one of my favorite action movies.

Okay there, bud.
Do you not agree that people found Fury Road underwhelming?

And people have, multiple times, written lengthy posts about what exactly makes John Wick 2 so good

firehawk12

Subete no aware
John Wick 2 is like The Raid 2 in that the story gets in the way of what I wanted to see - namely, cool action sequences.

The movie doesn't really get "started" until the catacomb sequence and it felt like it took at least an hour to get there.

KingKong

Okay there, bud.

And yeah, that is how opinions work. People are allowed to counterpoint hyperbole, especially when no is really articulating why this is some sent-from heaven action film. If you're content to keep blowing smoke up the movie's ass, then have at it.

About halfway through the film, I thought it would be something special. By the end, it had fallen to something much more ordinary.

Is that so different from the Raid?

Megasoum

Banned
Really liked the movie...

Also, the movie was partially shot in Montreal so it was really funny that the very first scene of the movie is John doing a powerslide in his car LITERALLY RIGHT IN FRONT of the theater where I was sitting hahaha.

He also went in the subway station that I used to go through everyday to work for 8 years

(during the subway scene when at some point he goes up some stairs to a room with giant stained glass in the back and white tiled walls)

John Wick 2 is like The Raid 2 in that the story gets in the way of what I wanted to see - namely, cool action sequences.

The movie doesn't really get "started" until the catacomb sequence and it felt like it took at least an hour to get there.
I felt it actually worked here, mainly because I liked seeing more of the world and it was cool seeing Wick prepare and plan. We hadn't seen that side of him before, and the lore of the criminal world is part of the appeal, versus the Raid 2 where it felt like they added more story just to make a bigger movie

To be fair, I liked Raid 2 even more than the first

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I felt it actually worked here, mainly because I liked seeing more of the world and it was cool seeing Wick prepare and plan. We hadn't seen that side of him before
Yeah, I understand. I said this in the anime thread (why am I posting about John Wick in an anime thread? Who knows), but I think the first half of the film works if you are invested in the world of assassins and the whole Continental Hotel system. But if you just want to see John Wick kill people with guns, it takes an awfully long time for the movie to get there.

Brakke

Banned
I liked the "getting equipped" montage just because it was a lot of stylish people being charming and cool and that's part of the John Wick oeuvre for me. But yeah it went a little long: the movie was bloated and could've lost some weight. Like the whole Larry Fishes section. That sort of felt like Forrest Whittaker in Rogue One to me -- they had a fun actor doing an over-the-top performance of a cool concept for a character, but they weren't sure what it had to do with the rest of the movie and so just kind of left it in. That especially stuck out to me because I had the same thought about Peter Stormare at the start, which was completely superfluous except they wanted to start with action and references to the first movie and find an excuse to bring back Johnny Legs.

xezuru

I felt it actually worked here, mainly because I liked seeing more of the world and it was cool seeing Wick prepare and plan. We hadn't seen that side of him before, and the lore of the criminal world is part of the appeal, versus the Raid 2 where it felt like they added more story just to make a bigger movie

To be fair, I liked Raid 2 even more than the first

Say what you want about Raid 2 pacing / story, but the execution and intensity makes it a fucking insane thrill ride, there are scenes in it that will NEVER have an equal especially in the way westerns think of producing movies, shit like the mud fight are phenomenal. That said I loved JW1, but while JW2 is around the same place for me, I feel like it had steps back in a good amount of things. While story telling and getting world scale of the assassins was a welcome attribute, I also feel like they wanted to introduce all these characters in which none of them bear any fruition. I also feel like JW1 had more mood/atmosphere that helped with the "boogeyman imagery" as how his skills are almost magical, while JW2 did a nice nod by directing in how Wick thinks during a job, overall this felt more like an "Gunfu Action Movie" then a "Boogieman experience" which I prefer like the Raid 2 Rollercoaster experience

Okay there, bud.

Here is a seven page thread made by someone who didn't enjoy Mad Max.

Here is someone in the OT topic who felt the internet overhyped the movie, and didn't enjoy it as much as GAF as a whole. Sound familiar?

And yeah, that is how opinions work. People are allowed to counterpoint hyperbole, especially when no is really articulating why this is some sent-from heaven action film. If you're content to keep blowing smoke up the movie's ass, then have at it.

"Blowing smoke up the movie's ass"? See, the problem here isn't to what degree you disliked JWc2, but how condescending you continue to be to those who did enjoy it. You found it underwhelming? Cool! But... that's not a "counterpoint" to how any one else feels about the movie. You did not like thing as much as other people liked thing. It happens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think The Raid 2 has better overall action set pieces but John Wick 2 has the better "story". Whether or not you actually want a story in this type of film is a whole other question though. lol

norm9

Watched it this morning. More of what I wanted. A couple behind me were chuckling at the strangest things as if anticipating something. He's a good hero. This went ott like Crank to Crank 2.

Just got out of it. Really good. I liked it more than the first honestly. Damn those gunshots were powerful.

Loved how it opened with a Buster Keaton clip projected on a building.

Wigdogger

Here is a seven page thread made by someone who didn't enjoy Mad Max.

Here is someone in the OT topic who felt the internet overhyped the movie, and didn't enjoy it as much as GAF as a whole. Sound familiar?

"Blowing smoke up the movie's ass"? See, the problem here isn't to what degree you disliked JWc2, but how condescending you continue to be to those who did enjoy it. You found it underwhelming? Cool! But... that's not a "counterpoint" to how any one else feels about the movie. You did not like thing as much as other people liked thing. It happens.

Go ahead and take issue with what I said, but you shitposted Predator, Dredd and Fury Road all in one fell swoop just to prop up a 75 metacritic action film.

I'm not saying everyone has to like the same thing, but really, dude?

Can you defend JW2 for being way too long, having a watered down third act, having no memorable characters, having no good lines or decent banter? Any sense of danger? It wasted its cast entirely.

The choreography is there in spades in the second act. On that merit, I'm with you. It's awesome. So if that's your only criterion for a dope action movie, who am I to argue?

But the three I mentioned all have different qualities in an action movie, many of which JW2 didn't possess, so that's what I'd put to you.

Go ahead and take issue with what I said, but you shitposted Predator, Dredd and Fury Road all in one fell swoop just to prop up a 75 metacritic action film.

I'm not saying everyone has to like the same thing, but really, dude?

Can you defend JW2 for being way too long, having a watered down third act, having no memorable characters, having no good lines or decent banter? Any sense of danger? It wasted its cast entirely
May be hard to fathom, but just because you say it doesn't mean it's objectively so

Not even going to touch that first part

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I thought Raid 2 was vastly superior to Raid 1. Raid 1, all the fights sort of dragged on. Largely because they seem to repeat the same sequences several times over. Between each fight, then during the fight. The Mad Dog vs Two is a great example of it. About half way through, they started to recycle some of the same movements and bits. Nor did they do anything to really change it up. Even before the fight concluded, I was thinking I've seen a lot of this before just a minute or two prior.

Raid 2 on the other hand drastically improved the choreography. Even though it was a larger film, all the fights were much leaner, better rehearsed, and had enough variety to keep going. I wasn't getting the same Deja Vu feeling I was in Raid 1.

I also liked the World building in it. I thought the multiple aspects of the underground flew together well and that fucking ending was how you do it. We're talking Darksiders ending were you can only leave with the stiffy of your life thinking about Raid 3.

John Wick 2, I actually think the fights are a step down from the first. Specifically the house and club scenes in the first. The first house scene only last like 2 minutes, but there wasn't a single wasted move. It was quick, brutal, and right to the point. This is the man you're fucking with, John Wick. The Club scene where it started slow, built up, expanded his move set, and added in his counterpart for the film.

Wick 2, I felt like it never really topped it. It got close with one bit
Multiple Assassins leading into Common. But the initial scene was sort of a bad parody of the first. And the Concert + Finale were basically COD games, where the moveset clearly ran out, but we can keep throwing more at him.

Where the movie succeeded though was basically the progression of the world and Wick as a character. The first one was simply... You fucked with my dog, I kill you all now. This one on the other hand added a lot of development into his character, world... without really putting it at the front. It's sort of ingenious in a way. Wick's character. All of it happens largely through the set pieces and action, rather than taking time for it to give you a large exposition. There is never a moment of "Hey, this is blah and he does blah". It's more like you already know these characters already and it's a reunion, even to the new ones. Wick himself is developed through his actions too
He clearly wants to die, but doesn't at the same time. He's a broken man who lost the only aspect that would keep him out of this life and this is the next most familiar thing to him.
None of this is spoken though. It's all inferred or show. The film doesn't treat you like an idiot. This is what I loved about Wick 2. It's not nearly as lean and well built as one, but it does reach much further with what it is trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom