• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Kaldea

Gah you posted exactly what I came here to say. I believe Araki did say that he took some inspiration from Twin Peaks for part 4, didn't he?

I also wanted to say that the moments leading up to Bites the Dust were very well executed by the anime. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, when Rohan was reading those pages, my heart was pounding. Bravo!
Didn't know you were into Jojo. :p Part 4 definitely has its moments and the anime is doing a great job animating them in my opinion, especially the last episode.

Magwik

Banned
I'd say it's the opposite, taking over the world is "eh, okay", a serial killer destroying the soul of a small town are stakes we can care about
It definitely becomes even more worth it when all of the early episodes people complained about being boring and such, it was a great way to build up the town and it's characters.

cntr

Banned
Apparently. There's some fanart I've seen of him trying to hang out and be buddies with Kira, including one where he ends up showing Kira one of the Addams family movies (I think).
YngyFOP.jpg

Jeeves

Didn't know you were into Jojo. :p Part 4 definitely has its moments and the anime is doing a great job animating them in my opinion, especially the last episode.
Oh yeah, JoJo's the greatest. I'm glad David Production ended up being the ones to adapt it because I really think what we've been getting is the best adaption we can hope for.

Just noticed.

The lightning strike happened at 8:27.

The meeting with Koichi and Jotaro was scheduled for 8:30.

Shortest/Most accurate 3 minutes in Jojo ever?

PK Gaming

? Hayato is one of the gutsiest people in part 4. He's a bit creepy, but man do I respect the guy.

His design (in the manga) is terrible, despite more or less comes out of nowhere and somehow winds up becoming this extremely important character.

The anime has it right by introducing him earlier on, because boy did I not take to him at all in the manga.

cntr

Banned
It's kind of fun to realize all this crazy Bites the Dust shit is happening when we started with a guy using sun punches on vampires.

Rewatched the Koichi and Yukako episodes. Why was he so epic and such a forward thinker being so many steps ahead of her. The Boingy Boing on the rocks was the best thing and really made him awesome. Reverb is easily best stand.

you can really see the divergence on the first part of DiU to the current one
Josuke went from randomly punching a hole through his mother to put a knife in some dude's stomach to knowing how to use his stand with pinpoint accuracy to outrun and outwit some life sucking shadow feet and defeating a prison stand in the shape of an energy tower.

dani_dc

I really wish this episode had ended up with Rohan exploding and that the repeated morning segment would had been saved to the opening of next episode.

It would had made for considerably more fun reactions around this parts.

Things might change but for now the side characters in order of best to worst:

Rohan > Koichi > Jotaro > Shigichi > Alien Dude > Okuyasu
I kind of expected Okuyasu to not be useless, but he gets beat out by a dude half his size. I half expect Koichi to be able to beat him in a stand fight. And yes Koichi and Rohan are the best.

zoukka

I kind of expected Okuyasu to not be useless, but he gets beat out by a dude half his size. I half expect Koichi to be able to beat him in a stand fight. And yes Koichi and Rohan are the best.

The feel when you are the strongest stand, but got stuck with Okuyasu.

Numb

It's kind of fun to realize all this crazy Bites the Dust shit is happening when we started with a guy using sun punches on vampires.

Part 1 had frogs getting punched through,Jesus walking on waters and hiding inside horses
And still somehow the most normal

Moaradin

Things might change but for now the side characters in order of best to worst:

Rohan > Koichi > Jotaro > Shigichi > Alien Dude > Okuyasu

Rohan > Koichi > Okuyasu > Jotaro > the rest

I like Okuyasu a lot but I wish he got more use. He's been pretty much sidelined for a while now.

Part 1 had frogs getting punched through,Jesus walking on waters and hiding inside horses
And still somehow the most normal
I still find it hilarious and alarming that Part 1 is the most normal of Jojo parts.
Rohan > Koichi > Okuyasu > Jotaro > the rest

I like Okuyasu a lot but I wish he got more use. He's been pretty much sidelined for a while now.
It's not Okuyasu's fault stand battles require intelligence.

ElFly

reminder that he learned the sun punches by punching a frog in a rock

there was also that guy in a horse

and dio's eye lazors that were some of the liquids at high pressure

reminder that he learned the sun punches by punching a frog in a rock

there was also that guy in a horse

and dio's eye lazors that were some of the liquids at high pressure
Not to mention thawing out a dude's frozen arm on your abs, instantly freezing a man alive, a head spitting a rose into the eyeball of a vampire with pinpoint accuracy, making a hang glider out of some leaves, a sling made from a branch having a enough power to launch a 15 year old boy a couple of hundred feet into a river.

McFadge

The feel when you are the strongest stand, but got stuck with Okuyasu.

The whole time during the Super Fly (electrical tower) fight I was thinking, "Gee, if only there was some way to pull this guy back into the tower, right Okuyasu? Almost like you did Josuke in your very first fight..."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm actually surprised how very little gory the explosions are, the black-and-white look of the manga made them look like blood explosions

munchie64

Polnareff episodes were so good in SC. Often had more drama to them than most.

Don't really have an equivalent here since the drama is more spread out between the cast (for the better of course).

cntr

Banned
Here's Araki's comments on Polnareff, from Jojonium Volume 16:

When you think about characters who grew on the most on the journey to defeat DIO, the first one who comes to mind is Polnareff. He went from a lone wolf who only cared about getting revenge on his sister to one of the allies who supported the Joestar group to the end. It was a lot of fun drawing his growth through his battles with Stand users on the way to Egypt. For better or worse, Polnareff's lines always stand out, so readers may think he gets a lot of screen time. Jotaro is the main character, of course, and Joseph is the navigator. Polnareff was the best answer I could come up with for a personality and visual appearance that would still be able to stand uniquely apart from those two. He makes up for what the two Joestars can't do... So he may have always been special to me. (Laughs) For example, when he's with Jotaro and Joseph, Polnareff becomes a character who can both tell jokes and act serious. Polnareff's the one who always falls into enemy traps and has bathroom trouble on the journey. If that had happened to Jotaro, it would have made him seem too careless, and the story would have gotten off-kilter. That's why I had no choice but to put in Polnareff as much as I did. Compared to Kakyoin and Avdol, Polnareff is a light, straightforward man who goes out of his way for others, and tends to stick his nose where it doesn't belong. Thanks to that, he got a lot of screen time. Also, whenever I drew him, his silhouette always seemed to be a lot more imposing than his other allies. I based his memorable hairstyle on foreign models and sort of powered up Stroheim's hairstyle from Part 2.

Since he got so much screen time, he also got a lot of battles. Devo, J. Geil, Alessi, and Vanilla Ice... He fought a lot of Dio's men, and I was always worried that I might have to make Polnareff lose, or even kill him. Within his battles I saw the unique excitement of not knowing who's going to come out of this alive, similar to with "The Magnificent Seven." Polnareff grew precisely because he conquered so many do-or-die situations.

Lastly, about the name Jean P. Polnareff. My three favorite French people are Alain Delon, Jean Paul Belmondo, and the singer Michel Polnareff. So I was influenced by their names. And back then, the first French name that came to my mind was Jean Paul. There's also a famous chocolatier named Jean Paul Hévin, so I'd probably feel the same way now.

He doesn't usually wear a jacket, why is he wearing one here?
I had a supermodel/rock star image in mind. His normal clothes are very simple, so I wanted to do something extravagant for the cover. I painted Silver Chariot purple to match Polnareff's clothes.

Top Bottom