• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders |OT| ATTEMPT NO MANGA SPOILERS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

If that's considered "fine" then it makes me glad that I never watch dubs anymore (I grew up watching shit dubbed in French, it was terrible).

I mean I'm not saying it was best dub ever produced but I guarantee you any issues you have are more a function of "I'm so used to the Japanese voices" than any actual quality issues with the English dub (also watching a clip isn't the same as watching one or more episodes). The fact that you "never watch dubs" also makes me skeptical on your ability to evaluate English dubs in general. I've watched some anime with French subtitles but I haven't watched much with French dubs so I can't comment on the quality of French dubs made in Canada, France, etc.

Dubbing JoJo is pretty hard considering the Japanese voice cast like Sugita = Joseph and Koyasu = DIO is so perfect. It's the same thing with One Piece, all the VA are perfect fits picked by the Author.

jgminto

A JoJo dub is never going to work 100% but the one they tested was decent for the most part. I wouldn't choose it over the sub ever but I probably wouldn't no matter the quality. If people want to see a real bad JoJo dub go watch the 2000 OVAs for a comparison.

Dubbing JoJo is pretty hard considering the Japanese voice cast like Sugita = Joseph and Koyasu = DIO is so perfect. It's the same thing with One Piece, all the VA are perfect fits picked by the Author.
I knew from when I first started watching Jojo that it wouldn't be easy to dub. Kill La Kill actually has a pretty good dub with the exception of two characters, but Jojo is really Japanese. The Japanese actors are just perfect. The dub isn't shit tier, but I would never put it against the Black Lagoon or Cowboy Bebop dubs.
This isn't too bad, but I really am just too used to the Japanese actors at this point. Just like how I can't really except English Satsuki, it isn't actually easy getting used to the English actors:

Jotaro Loves the Ladies (English Dub)

Joseph Joestar in English is not the same person:

Joseph Joestar (English Dub)

Crocodile

Lol.

Not wanting shitty dubs = weeaboo? Do you also watch your foreign movies dubbed?

I also don't watch English shows or movies dubbed in French, what does that make me?

People like making this comparison but it doesn't work because Live Action =/= Animation. The reason why dubbed Live Action films are often weird is because the Live Action actors move their mouths, faces and bodies in ways that are specific to the language they are speaking and their cultural backgrounds. Since replicating that in animation would be super time consuming and costly it almost is never done (Akira is a famous exception). So this disconnect rarely happens with dubbed animation. To that end its all on the quality of the VAs, voice directors, etc. Again I can't speak to the French dubbing scene but the English dubbing scene has made LEAPS AND BOUNDS in quality over the past few decades. If you have an issue with a particular VA, direction, scene I might understand (though I might not agree ultimately) that but whenever someone takes a position of "I don't watch dubs" I'm skeptical of their ability to make their judgments with logically and with minimal bias.

The One Piece dub is fantastic. Sonny Strait in particular has been knocking it out of the park. I know Seitz's Franky will never sound exactly like the JP VA but English Franky is great in his own right. Have you watched the One Piece dub?

Karsha

I think Dire's move consist in him doing dropkicks until someone reacts and tries to defend with his hands, than he goes for the split and chop. Its still a stupid move but it kinda made sense at that point, if Dio didn't have the freezing I'd be over. And Jonathan was basically a human stand when he headbutts Dire

The One Piece dub is fantastic. Sonny Strait in particular has been knocking it out of the park. I know Seitz's Franky will never sound exactly like the JP VA but English Franky is great in his own right. Have you watched the One Piece dub?

Yeah it's good enough. Just not something I would ever watch because the sub already nailed it.

Crocodile

I knew from when I first started watching Jojo that it wouldn't be easy to dub. Kill La Kill actually has a pretty good dub with the exception of two characters, but Jojo is really Japanese. The Japanese actors are just perfect. The dub isn't shit tier, but I would never put it against the Black Lagoon or Cowboy Bebop dubs.
This isn't too bad, but I really am just too used to the Japanese actors at this point. Just like how I can't really except English Satsuki, it isn't actually easy getting used to the English actors:

Jotaro Loves the Ladies (English Dub)

Joseph Joestar in English is not the same person:

Joseph Joestar (English Dub)

I don't think there is anything particularly amazing about JP Old Joesph and this test dub never got up to the episodes where Old Joesph has to really go crazy so we can't really compare. Young Joesph Joestar is voiced by Sugita who is a GOAT tier VA so it will be hard for most English VAs to match it but since there is no Young Joesph Joestar dub we also can't make any comparison either :/

jgminto

I don't think there is anything particularly amazing about JP Old Joesph and this test dub never got up to the episodes where Old Joesph has to really go crazy so we can't really compare. Young Joesph Joestar is voiced by Sugita who is a GOAT tier VA so it will be hard for most English VAs to match it but since there is no Young Joesph Joestar dub we also can't make any comparison either :/

What? He totally nails the tone of Old Joseph.

I'm not even ragging on the performance. It just seems like in the dub Joseph sounds like he has more sense in his head.

Crocodile

What? He totally nails the tone of Old Joseph.

I think the performance is good but I don't think its something that can't be matched or exceeded by other VAs in other languages. In contrast, Sugita's Young Joesph Joestar I do think will be legitimately hard to match or top though for VAs in other languages. That's what I meant.

jgminto

I think you would naturally lose the charm of Old Joseph when translating him to English. His random English cursing wouldn't work half as well with a native speaker.

Crocodile

I think you would naturally lose the charm of Old Joseph when translating him to English. His random English cursing wouldn't work half as well with a native speaker.

I know some people find those phrases funny because they contrast with the Japanese he naturally speaks. I think they are funny because they are inherently funny phrases said in funny situations. That's just my opinion though :p

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Jojo feels like a series that I just wouldn't enjoy watching in English, and I usually don't have a preference when it comes to dubs vs. subs. Moments like "hell 2 u" just wouldn't be as good in a dub. Plus people who have no prior knowledge of the series won't be able to tell what the original names of some of the characters were, like J. Geil's name being changed to Centerfold in the official subs.

The few test dub episodes were sort of okay, but the voice acting wasn't nearly as good as the original Japanese voice acting. It's all subjective, though.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I loved the first three episodes that crunchyroll aired dubbed. I want more. I didn't find a specific character that sounded bad and overall, I really enjoyed what I saw. The only one that was a little jarring was Dio to me, mainly because I was expecting a non raspy voice, but I got over it really quickly. Even the ora's sounded awesome. Joseph's dub was amazing BTW, really captured his character well. More plz.

jstripes

Banned
Lol.

Not wanting shitty dubs = weeaboo? Do you also watch your foreign movies dubbed?

I also don't watch English shows or movies dubbed in French, what does that make me?

I try to avoid anything dubbed. From any country.

It's hard to replicate the original performance.

(DBZ Abridged is the exception.)

JayEH

Dub is ok. Avdol is pretty bad, DIO should be british, but Matthew Mercer as Jotaro is really good. I just couldn't imagine something like Joseph's screaming from like the last episode in English though.

If you want to hear some bad dub work, watch the OVA once the season is over. Oh boy. I understand dubs were bad back then but nobody shows any emotion, at all.

Joseph shouldn't even be speaking Japanese in the first place tbh.

As the ultimate Oldseph fan I'd say that...

His Capcom game voice is probably still the best version followed by Unsho Ishizuka. His English dub voice is also pretty damn good.

Jex

Some weeaboos in here goddamn. Dub was great.

At least most modern dubs are bland, that dub was aggressively mediocre.
All the more why 4 cours was excessive to begin with in the first place.
Not from the perspective of the Production Committee in charge of creating the anime. The longer that the show airs on TV the more adverts for tie-in products they can air, the more JoJo's related media (e.g. videogames, manga) they can push and expect to sell more of. The longer it stays in the public eye the more money they have the potential to get.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Eh, I think the dub is fine for the most part. The ORA ORA is not cringe inducing, and I think that's the most important part. Not as good as the original though, and this isn't me being a weeboo SUB>DUBS. The voices in the japanese version are all pretty interesting, silly and over the top. The english dub is the usual people that seem to do all the dubs, and they all have a very tempered tone. Basically, their characters all sound way less interesting. Although I do think Jotaro's voice is pretty spot on.

Hypron

People like making this comparison but it doesn't work because Live Action =/= Animation. The reason why dubbed Live Action films are often weird is because the Live Action actors move their mouths, faces and bodies in ways that are specific to the language they are speaking and their cultural backgrounds. Since replicating that in animation would be super time consuming and costly it almost is never done (Akira is a famous exception). So this disconnect rarely happens with dubbed animation. To that end its all on the quality of the VAs, voice directors, etc. Again I can't speak to the French dubbing scene but the English dubbing scene has made LEAPS AND BOUNDS in quality over the past few decades. If you have an issue with a particular VA, direction, scene I might understand (though I might not agree ultimately) that but whenever someone takes a position of "I don't watch dubs" I'm skeptical of their ability to make their judgments with logically and with minimal bias.

French dubs also got a lot better over the years (animes in the 80s/90s were also hilariously bad - special mention to Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star, which was essentially a parody of the original show -, but recent stuff is way better). Lots of people love them and say they're very good, but I still find them inferior to the source material and/or unnatural. One of the main reasons is probably anime/cartoons are made solely with the original language in mind. The actors are hand picked and are an integral part of the creation of the show.

Dubbing only comes after the fact and has to try to adapt the completed piece of work to another language that has widely different grammar, pace and sayings (especially when the source and target languages are very different ones like Japanese to English/French). Even if you don't have to worry about lipsync the dialogues will still have to be reworked and/or the voice actors will have to adjust their pace to say what needs to be said in the allocated timeslot. Oftentimes pieces of dialogue end up sounding awkward, unnatural or just plain weird. Mind you, I'm not saying that it's bad 100% of the time.

You also have other issues, like some VAs voice acting in a trillion different shows or the similar tone some of them use (my brothers and I call that a "dubber voice", which we find especially wide spread in English->French dubbed movies).

I admit that I haven't watched much anime dubbed in English (I've never watched an entire series dubbed for example) but from what I've seen they suffers from the same issues as French dubs.

And I mean, the actors in the clip posted on the previous page sound as if they're directly reading their text. I just don't find that good.

I try to avoid anything dubbed. From any country.

It's hard to replicate the original performance.

(DBZ Abridged is the exception.)

Yeah that's my position as well basically. Original versions are by far and large better and it's refreshing to hear other languages anyway.

Kurtofan

All the more why 4 cours was excessive to begin with in the first place.

3 cours wouldn't have been enough, 3 and a half cours? Maybe but it's not an option so between "stretching" the material a bit with cool filler scenes (like we're getting) or cutting stuff I'll take stretching.

Siegcram

Moments like "hell 2 u" just wouldn't be as good in a dub. Plus people who have no prior knowledge of the series won't be able to tell what the original names of some of the characters were, like J. Geil's name being changed to Centerfold in the official subs.
This is what it comes down to for me. I avoid dubs anyway, since my japanese is good enough that I get away with listening and the occasional glance at the subtitles, but the stand and user names are essential to JoJo and I couldn't deal changed ones. No way.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Put me on board with Crispin Freeman as Dio, but I'm very biased towards him.
What's the deal with unions in the American industry though?

French dubs also got a lot better over the years (animes in the 80s/90s were also hilariously bad - special mention to Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star, which was essentially a parody of the original show -, but recent stuff is way better). Lots of people love them and say they're very good, but I still find them inferior to the source material and/or unnatural. One of the main reasons is probably anime/cartoons are made solely with the original language in mind. The actors are hand picked and are an integral part of the creation of the show.

I think you're confusing 2 aspects of dubs. Dubs today tend to be better written, i.e. the translation is better, more faithful to the original script and not censored/changed around to a ludicrous extent. There's still some bad stuff around, like I remember this one Full Metal Alchemist episode where a random adult character says "Un truc de ouf !" and I was just like "no", but on the whole, much, much better.

The voice acting has gotten way worse though. Say what you will about those 80s and 90s dubs, but many of the voice actors from that era were very talented and had really distinctive voices. They just had shitty work conditions that led them to misunderstand what they were working with and they did a shit job as a result (see Fist of the North Star/Ken le Survivant or City Hunter/Nicky Larson). I don't know what it is about the new crop of voice actors that was brought to the scene in the late 90s and early 2000s, but they all sound the same and/or bad to me, like they have no skill as actors and their voices are just bland. Nobody has their own thing going, and they don't hold a candle to people like Eric Legrand, Patrick Borg, Marc Lesser or Emmanuel Curtil. I imagine one of the reasons is that the success of foreign animation made people think they could become voice actors without having solid acting chops first.

In an ideal world we'd have today's translated scripts with voice actors on the level of 80s/90s VAs.

I don't know. You could have him scream random stereotypical British curse words, what with him being British and all. Picturing Old Joseph screaming "OOOOH CRIKEY" is funny and works in my head.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With all said and done...

P1 and P2 still has the best intro and outro... ESPECIALLY the segue into the outro.

Then again it is hard to segue into WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN.

With all said and done...

P1 and P2 still has the best intro and outro... ESPECIALLY the segue into the outro.

Then again it is hard to segue into WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN.
Round About had the best segues, especially the one where Zeppeli was going to step in to meet his destiny. It's hard to top Sono chi no Sadame and Bloody Stream, they're both god tier. I've gotten used to the new one though, Stand Proud wasn't bad either.

Yeah that's my position as well basically. Original versions are by far and large better and it's refreshing to hear other languages anyway.

People who say stuff like this still end up watching Disney movies in Japanese anyway so it's kind of a void thing to say.

So glad no one is saying "Yeah man, all dubs sound the same." Because I can watch a show and usually I hear some voice actor (Usually Miyuki Sawashiro, Takehito Koyasu or Akira Ishida) and I'm just like "Yep, dubs sure do sound all the same."

It's not that the english is bad but more like Jojo without a japanese WRYYYYY or OH MY GOD is not as tasteful.

And Sugita as Joseph (in part 2) is just too good.

Zubz

Banned
I liked the dub, from what we saw. Again, I wish DIO had a British Accent (And Polnareff, with a French one, too, but we literally got one line from him in the last preview for a test dub, so I doubt that was supposed to be final). Honestly, I'm not sure how they'd handle to gratuitous English outside of just hamming it up when it comes to those lines, but I'd definitely like to see more of that dub.

And I'd say WRRRY's, ORA's, and MUDA's are all a little hard. I think I can do all 3 pretty well, but the latter 2 are hard to do without circular breathing (Which I can't even do), and, as has been stated, WRRRY's require some serious R Rolling.

Grexeno

Trust me, you don't want anyone trying to give Polnareff a French accent. We all know that would end poorly no matter what.

Tizoc

tumblr_njvproItxr1s2kojso1_500.gif

Who's up for wastin' their money?
tumblr_njwecpuHLK1sh11j9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_njwecpuHLK1sh11j9o7_1280.jpg

Who's up for wastin' their money?
[/QUOTE]

I have it pre-ordered since I collect these guys, here is a pic of my Stardust Crusaders.

***SPOILER this picture shows the Dio figure and his Stand so those anime only watchers beware***

[URL="http://abload.de/img/jojo1umjwo.jpg"]My Stardust Crusaders Figures[/URL]

Nice dude! Like the way you have Jojo and Dio positioned.
If I may ask, where do you buy your figures!

Thanks, I have a few from other seasons as well but I haven't put them on display yet, I usually get them from Amiami, thanks to the Yen being so weak these figures are more affordable than many people think, the Jonathan Joestar posted here is 36$ with the current exchange rate.

Squishy3

Thanks, I have a few from other seasons as well but I haven't put them on display yet, I usually get them from Amiami, thanks to the Yen being so weak these figures are more affordable than many people think, the Jonathan Joestar posted here is 36$ with the current exchange rate.
Yeah, I got 2 part 4 figures that were reprinted and it was like $20 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom