• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Snow vs Grey Worm

Jon Snow vs Grey Worm

• Total voters

Airbus Jr

Banned
GoT last episode where jon came face to face with grey left us wander if theres going to be a trial by combat fight or confrontation between these two..which unfortunately didnt happened...

Grey Worm...comander of the Unssulied..

Jon Snow...Warden of the North, now King Beyond the Wall....

Both are excelent fighter posibly the best swordsman / spearmaster in game of thrones season 8

images

In such cases who do you think will win in a 1 vs 1 combat?

Last edited:
based solely on technical fighting skill Id say GW would win.

if it was fought with only swords, jon MIGHT be able to pull out a W. GW would crush with every other weapon. if it was sword vs spear, GW would still win.

What jon lacks for in skill, he makes up for with thinking, heart, and balls(actual).

So jon would be a better king, or father, or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
based solely on technical fighting skill Id say GW would win.

if it was fought with only swords, jon MIGHT be able to pull out a W. GW would crush with every other weapon. if it was sword vs spear, GW would still win.

What jon lacks for in skill, he makes up for with thinking, heart, and balls.

So jon would be a better king, or father, or anything for that matter.

I dont know where is this lack of skills perception coming from.

Season 1-2 i might agree with you but season 7-8 hes one of the best fighter around.

Dont forget hes the character with third highest killcount in the series behind Daenarys Targaryen and Arya Stark.

With the first one relllied heavily on air attack superiority and the second one with poison/ sneak attack.

We havent seen Grey Worm fighting powerfull opponent like the mountain, thens, giants or white walker generals...

So far hes been killing goons soldier in mereen, casterly rock and kings landing but based on what we saw hes quite a formidable fighter and worthy opponent for jon

Last edited:

I couldn’t stand grey worm towards the end but I’m pretty sure he is more well rounded vs Jon.

I dont know where is this lack of skills coming from

Season 1-2 i might agree with you but season 7-8 hes one of the best fighter around

Hes the character with third highest killcount in the series behind Daenarys Targaryen and Arya Stark.

With the first one relllied heavily on air attack and the second one with poison/ sneak attack
onscreen kill count doesnt justify better quality fighter imo.

GW is bred to be the most elite soldier. a terminator. thats all he knows. Jons background includes more living than just learning the ways of battle. to me greyworm is essentially a Spartan from 300, where as Jon is trained as any royal knight would be, yet hes above average due to some natural skill.

greyworms style is more seemless and fluid. perfection. like a martial artist. trained to kill as efficiently as possible. sees the fight before it happens. knows what hes doing 2 steps ahead

jon to me is a more natural fighter. takes each instance as it happens.. trained to just defend and survive. more "bumbling" than GW

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
GW wins because he is using a spear, and spear>sword.

Fire emblem weapon triangle ftw.

Honestly, I'd gve it to Jon. He strikes me as a more adaptable fighter and has proven himself in some very tough fights. GW is a lifelong trained soldier but he's always fought as part of a unit to pre-taught strategy and training. Jon has had to adapt more and is a pretty natural fighter at that.

Would probably end up like that early Jorah vs Dothraki duel.
Jon Snow is the only one who looked natural with a sword. Grey Worm is the only one who felt natural speaking a made-up language.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
If it was both fighters in their default states: Sword + Board vs. Spear + Shield.... I feel like sword wins in 1v1 combat.

While the spear would have the reach advantage, it's also easier to deflect as far as I can imagine. You can't "slash" with a spear, how you use it always has to be a straight line thrust or jab towards someone.

The amount of dangerous angles a sword can take, and the amount of fluidity of motion you can have parrying and attacking because the sword can slash I think would give Jon the advantage.

...now if Grey Worm had a sword/board combo as well... I'd probably give it to GW. Without having seen him fight with one that I can recall, I can only assume he'd be at LEAST as proficient with it as Jon...assuming he was trained with one.

In terms of pure combat prowess, I'd have to assume GW is the stronger outright fighter.

Jon wins because no matter what, Grey Worm can't penetrate his plot armor

RedVIper

Banned
If it was both fighters in their default states: Sword + Board vs. Spear + Shield.... I feel like sword wins in 1v1 combat.

This is only true in movies, in real life spears beat swords. You would also not use a shield as a spear user, they're useful in formations, not very much in a duel against a swordsman, if the swordmans is in reach then the shield is useless anyway.

While the spear would have the reach advantage, it's also easier to deflect as far as I can imagine. You can't "slash" with a spear, how you use it always has to be a straight line thrust or jab towards someone.

You can do fake outs with spears, pretending you're going for the face and turn the tip towards the torso at the last second. So no you don't have to always do straight lines.

The amount of dangerous angles a sword can take, and the amount of fluidity of motion you can have parrying and attacking because the sword can slash I think would give Jon the advantage.

Doesn't matter what angles a sword can take, because the spear user is out of reach. If you deflect the spear you're not in range to attack back. If the sword user is in reach, then he already won, because he got past the tip of the spear.

Last edited:

Fbh

Jon would start getting his ass kicked but then he would be saved by something unexpected at the last moment.
It's how he overcame almost every obstacle in the story

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Grey worm... because he would pull down his pants (TWIST!) to reveal that he still has his frank and beans. Jon would be distracted by this shocking revelation and Grey Worm would land the killing blow. With a smirk, Grey Worm takes Sansa’s arm and they go off to Naath together.
Bran, meanwhile, just says, “Yep, saw that one coming.”, gets out of his chair and walks away. And that’s when Tyrion realizes Bran is full of shit and has been conning his way to the throne these last 8 seasons.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’m actually sad the show robbed us of this fight. They had multiple opportunities. Hell we could have had grey worm stumble upon Jon after he killed D. Passionate fight would ensue where Jon defends himself and Grey Worm fights with emotion we’ve yet to see out of him. The fight would be conclude with grey work dead but Jon to injured to escape and backup arriving to take him to jail.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Grey Worm is a better fighter, but Jon Snow has more plot armor.

Dude you cant say Grey is better when Jon have better feat in the show, so far he beat :

- Karl Tanner ( a very dangerous knife wielder)
- Thens ( Axe)
- White Walker General( He used spear, similar playstyle with Grey Worm)
- Ramsay Bolton( Archer, yeah it was an easy win but still count)

Grey Worm so far beats Lannister stormtrooper

Last edited:
Considering Selmy got dropped by some hobos in a back alley after being supposedly the best swordsman alive who knows how D&D would write it out.

Jon Snow screamed at a dragon, he'll probably just scream at GW and activate his backup backup backup plot armor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dude you cant say Grey is better when Jon have better feat in the show, so far he beat :

- Karl Tanner ( a very dangerous knife wielder)
- Thens ( Axe)
- White Walker General( He used spear, similar playstyle with Grey Worm)
- Ramsay Bolton( Archer, yeah it was an easy win but still count)

Grey Worm so far beats Lannister stormtrooper
Grey Worm was trained from birth to be an unstoppable killing machine.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Grey Worm was trained from birth to be an unstoppable killing machine.

Unstopable killing machine lol

I bet prime Jaime Lannister will destroy him

He almost got killed by a bunch of masked hobos in Mereen

Just because you start earlier then the rest that doesnt makes you a guaranteed winner🤣

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
On second thought, I think Jon Snow's plot armor might be nullified by the Unsullied's apparent ability to clone themselves spontaneously.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Doesn't matter what angles a sword can take, because the spear user is out of reach. If you deflect the spear you're not in range to attack back. If the sword user is in reach, then he already won, because he got past the tip of the spear.
My only gripe with your post is that this makes spear users seem insanely easy to beat...just parry/block one attack and charge into their range and it's already over.

I get that isn't literally what you meant, obviously GW would be moving around and Jon wouldn't be able to just run up on him. Just the idea that all Jon would have to do is run into sword range and it's over made me smile.

RedVIper

Banned
My only gripe with your post is that this makes spear users seem insanely easy to beat...just parry/block one attack and charge into their range and it's already over.

I get that isn't literally what you meant, obviously GW would be moving around and Jon wouldn't be able to just run up on him. Just the idea that all Jon would have to do is run into sword range and it's over made me smile.

Good luck running into range without getting speared in the face :messenger_tears_of_joy:. If you block the spear user just pulls the spear back and he's ready to thrust again, I don't think people understand just how fast spears are, it's fucking hard to parry one.

Although that actually is what would happen if the duel took place in, lets say, a small room.

Kadayi

Banned
Grey Worm (spear) vs. Oberyn Martell (spear)

19rxsx.jpg

Oberyn for sure. That dude was beast.

Jon Snow versus Grey Worm. Regardless of all the sword versus spear talk. I'd favour Jon over Grey Worm simply because he's a double hard bastard, and he's killed a large variety of fighters all using different skill sets over the series and learnt from them. Spears are great if you can maintain distance, but if you can't you're completely fucked. Leather armour isn't going to be much use against Valarian Steel.

Jon Snow versus Oberyn though...Oberyn was in the Seconds Sons for a period before establishing his own mercenary band and fought extensively in the Disputed Lands in Essos, I think he's a bit more of a formidable opponent, plus those poisoned blades yo. 🤔

Xenon

Sir Jorah handily beat all the former slave combatants. Not having balls doesn't make one a better fighter.

Jon.

desertdroog

The fact that we didn't get a trial by combat with Jon representing Tyrion and Grey Worm representing Deceased Dany was a let down.

Top Bottom