• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Man, liberals have nothing but butthurt when you point out that their beloved comedy show is just that and NOT an actual news source. But please, go ahead and continue to delude yourselves with that nonsense while those of us who can recognize it for what it is continually laugh our asses off at you.

The Daily Show, a comedy show on Comedy Central, has more integrity and 100x the honesty than Fox News, a "serious" "news" network, has. I sense a lot of butthurt in this thread but it's coming entirely from your direction.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Man, liberals have nothing but butthurt when you point out that their beloved comedy show is just that and NOT an actual news source. But please, go ahead and continue to delude yourselves with that nonsense while those of us who can recognize it for what it is continually laugh our asses off at you.

This reads like years of pent-up "butthurt" sprayed across the screen of my phone. Make sure you thank Jon for the laxative.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
IumTyTw.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I realized Daily Show was just a comedy show that distorts and fakes it's facts to make a joke after a story in Denver they did last year was faked.

It's ironic that they complain regularly about Fox News doing it, when they do it themselves. But at the same time it's funny because the Daily Show isn't supposed to be real.

genjiZERO

I think he definitely could. He's sharp and funny, super smart and can interview really well.

I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't up to him wanting to go for it.

I can only take him in doses. Basing your comedy persona on being pedantic gets old quick.

The key to effective trolling is subtlety.

Amir0x

Banned
The phrase trod into a minefield just entered my mind.

I think it's delightful. Jon Stewart has always given his critics ample time to come on the show and argue why he's wrong, and in the vast majority of occasions he has made them look positively silly - it was an open secret in Washington that conservatives frequently hated to go on his show because he had an extreme talent in making the obscenely obvious politicization of decent and totally middle-of-the-road policies by hackwing pre-purchased Senators and Representatives seem like the ridiculous, anti-American shit it was. That's why I always gained a little respect for conservatives who went on the show, because they were really on uneven footing.

On modern cable news, these failed journalists have to pretend every story has two equal sides... you just become very good at hiding your intent from the average attention span of the American Audience, which is like under eight minutes or some shit. So Fox News only has to pretend long enough to show they have a Democrat and Republican both debating a policy, but not long enough to show they got the most pathetic, anxiety-ridden Democratic candidate known to man who can barely string a sentence together, for example. MSNBC just is terrible at hiding it, so they're just don't even bother. They should just call themselves Liberal-By-American-Standards-Which-Really-Is-Not-Liberal-At-All-but-Whatevers-NBC.

But anyway, because of this fact, they are frequently giving equal air time to bonkers shit. For example, modern cable news still gets away with calling the Climate Change subject a 'debate', and absolutely love to pretend this debate is in some way eventful or equally credible. Of course, there are not two sides to the Climate Change debate. There is one side that has pretty much any high profile, storied climatologist on their side and the other "side" who just make up bullshit in which zero evidence is there to support any of it. Any real journalist would be pointing out the disparity in credibility - one being on par with, say, bigfoot sightings - but refuse to do so, because the far right has politicized the subject into oblivion.

A show like Daily Show doesn't have that obligation. He has no problem attacking Obama, but he doesn't try to pretend every story has equal sides. And because his weapon is humour, he can cut right to the heart of how ridiculous something is without making it seem like a politically incorrect jaunt into territory that can be misinterpreted by more stupid people.

Other people can do this job, but Jon Stewart was particularly effective... because he actually was well read and did have a rather decent grasp of the subjects he was impaling, but also because he also could balance the serious moments (9/11, Eric Garner) with the pathetic and hilarious political flubs of the people meant to represent us. He made mistakes like anyone else, and he is no expert. But unlike most, you do get a sense of genuineness to his beliefs, and he tries his damnedest to defend it with actual facts. There's not a lot of fakeness beneath that veil. He's not gunning for office, and he's not a fatuous journalist who is arguing behind the scenes how much blood they can show without seeming to relish in all that death because hey ratings all all that jazz.

But by all means, I do want to see a well rationalized argument against the dude. I've disagreed with many of his politics over the years. But I hope people have better arguments than NogibTC, because that was beyond weak.

Huh, can't believe's he's been doing it so long. I still remember Jon doing Craig Kilborn's 5 Daily Questions, which each down went down a number all the way to one question.

How time flies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Terrible news :(

Huh, can't believe's he's been doing it so long. I still remember Jon doing Craig Kilborn's 5 Daily Questions, which each down went down a number all the way to one question.

How time flies.

I wonder if Craig Kilborn will do any appearance in the final Stewart show or leading up to it. He seems to be a persona non grata there.

Zeke

well thats a hard pill to swallow. I really wish he would have waited until after the election cycle to retire. Was really looking forward to all the crazy Jon would have had for the show.

FyreWulff

It's kind of surreal to see Colbert and Stewart both leave CC within a year of each other. They were both staples of late night tv and satirical political commentary.

Fallon: Feb 2014, was originally supposed to start in November 2014
Letterman: Leaving May 2015
Ferguson: Left December 2014
Colbert: Left December 2014, starting after Letterman's retirement
Stewart: Leaving late 2015
Chelsea Handler: Left August 2014

Late Night talk show is basically going through an era change/reboot right now. In a little over a year, all of those changes.

benjipwns

Banned
To be fair, your statement "When did anything like that appear on The Daily Show?" comes across as pretty smug. The conversations aren't as in depth as something you'd hear on say The Diane Rehm Show, but they're short format interviews. At least he was trying to bring civility and depth into the platform. That's more than you can say for almost any other show.
I agree with you on the fact that no one should expecting anything from a joke show, but it's crazy to think the Daily Show has ever had hard hitting debate or really any kind of serious debate. The interviews are all T-ball too.

If it's smug to ask when the Daily Show actually featured what a person claims, then well, okay, it's no skin off my back.

Now if people want me to insult someone for whatever reason, let me get out my binder full of Diane Rehm.

well thats a hard pill to swallow. I really wish he would have waited until after the election cycle to retire. Was really looking forward to all the crazy Jon would have had for the show.

I actually think leaving before an election is a good idea. That will give his replacement a chance to get into it with some good material.

In as far as the Daily Show reports on current events and covers stories, it can be a news source. If you watched nothing except The Daily Show, you'd hear various pieces of news in each episode.

That's half of what the show does: takes a piece of news and makes it into a comedy skit. The facts are still facts. Often, the points it makes are much more meaningful than anything on the news.

benjipwns

Banned
I got your replacement right here; Mo Rocca.

Please Comedy Central!
He's too busy hosting travel shows about cooking on obscure cable networks.

Maybe Kilborn is jealous how massively successful he show was without him.
I wonder if Craig Kilborn will do any appearance in the final Stewart show or leading up to it. He seems to be a persona non grata there.
I don't think Kilborn was a fan of the content shift. Or at least he didn't used to be.

Also, he's a well known asshole.

Nether!

I don't think he's ever had a reason to come back, has he ever even been in a position to promote anything he's working on?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Rob Riggle does great interviews in his correspondence segments, and has great overall delivery. The show will be fine with him if the writing staff and culture still stays the same after Stewart leaves, unlike with Colbert who took his staff with him, and making them build The Nightly Show from the ground up.

besada

Banned
What does that have to do with dog pilling?

Nothing. But that is, in fact why he got banned. He was here to troll and people responded to him as a troll.

Regardless, it's not your job to direct the behavior of other users. If you think there's an issue in a thread, feel free to contact a moderator.

I don't think he's ever had a reason to come back, has he ever even been in a position to promote anything he's working on?

I just mean because I feel a lot of former Daily Show associated folk will make appearances in Stewarts final week of shows. I fully expect to see John Oliver, Steve Carrell, Steven Colbert, Ed Helms, Rob Corrdry, Rob Riggle, Wyatt Cenac among others making an appearance. I know Craig Kilborn never worked on the show with Stewart, but it'd still be interesting to see him make a cameo.

What does that have to do with dog pilling?

GAF is fine with an opinion, what it isn't fine with is just spewing BS without backing it up. It was rather clear that it was just trolling.

If I come out and say something absurd I don't get to just hide behind, guys it's my opinion.

DarkFlow

Banned
Nothing. But that is, in fact why he got banned. He was here to troll and people responded to him as a troll.

Regardless, it's not your job to direct the behavior of other users. If you think there's an issue in a thread, feel free to contact a moderator.

Okay, point taken.

Bloomers

Seeing this mere months after the announced end of the Colbert report is a tough pill to swallow. I have nothing but respect for the work the guys that have passed through the Daily Show's studios have done. Late Night comedy won't be the same.

You know I really don't know who is going to keep the media and politicians in check anymore. We're losing some of the best satirical content this nation has ever had. Hopefully someone will step up and pick up where these legends left off.

On a more positive note I don't think we're done seeing Jon Stewart, just the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I'm sure he will have some other show or we will see him direct more movies.

Derpyduck

Banned

slide_266290_1813655_free.gif

Trouble

Banned
Huh. Sad to see him go, but I can understand wanting to move on and try something new, he's been doing TDS for a long time now.

Africanus

Let's all dogpile the guy who doesn't share our opinion. That always works out well.
While a "dogpile" is not justified, I saw little of it in this thread. Rather, people implored of this individual to justify his/her beliefs with quotations of other members and supported evidence, which he/she failed to do. As well, the aforementioned poster was knowingly antagonistic to members within this thread. In a previous comment on an alternate account, the same individual repeated the same poor tactic. It is unfortunate that his accounts were banned, I desired to see whether he could bolster a sufficient argument!

Amir0x

Banned
Well that guy got eradicated, but in the interest of less lockstep discussion can someone who is not here just to troll and has legitimate problems with the guy discuss why they think it's better he's off the air than on?

It's not like it's an opinion I haven't seen aired before on the forum and there have been some decent discussions on the score. I've disagreed with the man before.

But I do think given his role, and the fact that Stephen Colbert is also gone around this same time frame now, we are losing something sort of irreplaceable in America. The only other show that fills that same niche is John Oliver, which has been a surprisingly adept piece of work that continues to impress. But it's only once a week, and frankly not long enough to appropriately cover all the relevant topics in politics and elsewhere. I genuinely recommend viewing his criticism of the American prison system, which really discussed a subject in which modern journalists and politicians just refuse to discuss maturely, despite it being one of the preeminent problems facing our country today. I would love if he could do that maybe three times a week or maybe at least have an hour long show. It being on HBO allows them to be even more incisive and confrontational, but it also diminishes the viewership overall.

Daily Show got a considerable viewership and it allowed at least some people to see just how miserably awful some positions were from a perspective of humour which tends to cut through that notoriously tough political fluff.

Derpyduck

Banned
While a "dogpile" is not justified, I saw little of it in this thread. Rather, people implored of this individual to justify his/her beliefs with quotations of other members and supported evidence, which he/she failed to do. As well, the aforementioned poster was knowingly antagonistic to members within this thread. In a previous comment on an alternate account, the same individual repeated the same poor tactic. It is unfortunate that his accounts were banned, I desired to see whether he could bolster a sufficient argument!

Someone expressing a general opinion and then getting hammered over and over for it is getting dogpiled. Someone who directly insults other members isn't getting dogpiled. He's being responded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom