• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show "later this year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

stewart0au5d.jpg

the job did take its toll.

He grew into his suit.

Madrin

NOOOO!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!! Jon is straight-up one of my favorite people. He brings a sensibility to that show that's irreplaceable. Goddamn irreplaceable!

Thank god we at least have John Oliver doing Last Week Tonight. I haven't seen Wilmore's show but I haven't heard great things.

SHIT

Madrin

I think with the other two gone, Oliver will open up more on the political front.

This is a good point and I hope it turns out to be true. Oliver might start tackling more political topics now that there will be less chance of retreading Colbert Report/Daily Show material.

spliced

Holy crap that sucks. Colbert was the bigger loss for me, but having TDS still there softened that blow especially with the election stuff coming up which would have had lots of good laughs. Now to hear this it feels like an entire genre of tv I liked is gonna disappear.

Stewart seems like he's been wearied by the show for awhile now so from that standpoint I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Boy has the talk show game ever taken a blow lately, so much talent lost in such a short period.

All I ask is that they call the new show "The Daily Show without Jon Stewart" to make up for ditching the excellent "Minority Report" name for Larry's show.

Amir0x

Banned
Really? He talks about it all the time.

Yup. Always gotta smile due to my Jewish side. *waves sheepishly at Jon Stewart*

I don't think the guy is particularly talented as a director from the work I've seen from him, so I hope whatever career path he follows is as effective as his Daily Show tenure and not, well, like his directing (or acting, frankly) :p

I think they should retire The Daily Show. I know, I know, it sounds like a terrible business decision. In the short turn, it'd be more profitable to keep the brand. But in the long run, you'd never be able to have someone run it as successfully as Jon has and you'd only run the name into the ground. It would be a better investment to try to create a new IP and format for the future.

It won't happen, of course.

Amir0x

Banned
I think they should retire The Daily Show. I know, I know, it sounds like a terrible business decision. In the short turn, it'd be more profitable to keep the brand. But in the long run, you'd never be able to have someone run it as successfully as Jon has and you'd only run the name into the ground. It would be a better investment to try to create a new IP and format for the future.

It won't happen, of course.

I think the better option is to re-brand it specifically around the new talents strengths. Don't try to simply deliver Jon Stewart's Daily Show with the same segments and whatnot. That's part of why John Oliver's show is so distinctive when it could have been derivative. It feels like The John Oliver show, not The Daily Show part deux.

They can call it The Daily Show if they want, but they have to make the flavor unique to the talent involved. If they go with Amy Poehler or someone like that, it has to have a distinctive feel that works to her delivery and her ability to confront political opponents or not.

RoKKeR

Show is on right now. It's bumming me out while laughing at him yet again calling out Fox News.

Fuck, don't leave us Jon!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Part of the reason that Stewart is so irreplaceable is because he's a master of the New York Jewish style of humor. A bit self depreciating, sarcastic to the core - it's perfect for what's essentially a society criticism show.

There's that, and then there's just....almost a maturity to the weary exasperation with which he reacts to everything. That's whats going to be really irreplaceable for me.

I could handle Colbert leaving no problem.

But Stewart? Just him being on air was a reassurance that all could one day be right in the world.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
O Jon Stewart -- don't you know that this hilarious riff on Muslim dictators, Fox News and Obama is making us miss you even more?

Fugu

Jon Stewart, through the Daily Show, has been a massive influence on my life. I've been watching him every night for the last fifteen years, I've been to a taping and I went to the rally. I can't say I'm not... profoundly disappointed that the show is ending but he's hinted that he's unhappy in a number of places so I'm glad he's moving on if he feels like he has to. I'll be keeping my ear to the ground.

genjiZERO

Yup. Always gotta smile due to my Jewish side. *waves sheepishly at Jon Stewart*

I don't think the guy is particularly talented as a director from the work I've seen from him, so I hope whatever career path he follows is as effective as his Daily Show tenure and not, well, like his directing (or acting, frankly) :p

you know, I didn't think Rosewater was terrible at all. In fact, I thought it was fairly good. But I agree - he's not a director. His talent is right where he's at now.

Fugu

you know, I didn't think Rosewater was terrible at all. In fact, I thought it was fairly good. But I agree - he's not a director. His talent is right where he's at now.
I liked Rosewater a lot. It's not one of the best movies I've ever seen but, especially for a first effort, it's pretty good.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jon said a few words at the end of tonight's show. Does not know when the end will come. Said as early as July, late as December. Details have yet to be finalized.

Aw he seems so sad but it seems pretty evident now he doesn't really want to do it anymore and wants to spend time with his family and try other things in life.

RoKKeR

Just made the announcement on TV.

:(

Damnit Jon! Thanks for all the years.

Oh great Larry Wilmore is on, TV off.

What happened to late night, fuck!

Slurmer

Banned
Just made the announcement on TV.

:(

Damnit Jon! Thanks for all the years.

Oh great Larry Wilmore is on, TV off.

What happened to late night, fuck!

Wilmore's show is actually kind of awesome. It's like bill maher but not totally insufferable

Amir0x

Banned
There's that, and then there's just....almost a maturity to the weary exasperation with which he reacts to everything. That's whats going to be really irreplaceable for me.

Few is the comedian who can make such light of many important policy discussions and yet can be rendered occasionally speechless due to his emotional authenticity on issues such as the Eric Garner case. As I've said in this topic, that's what made him especially effective... the rare comedian who could straddle historic moments with profound levity, or sometimes he would just break down altogether like a real human being. And those reactions on some level reflected on a very real level the genuine complicated emotions that people in this country face on a day to day basis as one with a very dark, complex and altogether morally ambiguous past, present and future.

BrokenEchelon said:
Someone's about to turn into a political pundit.

That'd be stupid. Wouldn't make sense from a career perspective. The dude is highly influential already in the political spectrum and he has his own show with his name on it. And he's influential enough that he can challenge Bill O'Reilly to a debate, have it be accepted and win without batting an eye. What aspect of political punditry is going to pay him more or be a more effective outlet for issues he cares about?

Few is the comedian who can make such light of many important policy discussions and yet can be rendered occasionally speechless due to his emotional authenticity on issues such as the Eric Garner case. As I've said in this topic, that's what made him especially effective... the rare comedian who could straddle historic moments with profound levity, or sometimes he would just break down altogether like a real human being. And those reactions on some level reflected on a very real level the genuine complicated emotions that people in this country face on a day to day basis as one with a very dark, complex and altogether morally ambiguous past, present and future.

That'd be stupid. Wouldn't make sense from a career perspective. The dude is highly influential already in the political spectrum and he has his own show with his name on it. And he's influential enough that he can challenge Bill O'Reilly to a debate, have it be accepted and win without batting an eye. What aspect of political punditry is going to pay him more or be a more effective outlet for issues he cares about?

I love the man, but I don't care how many times he keeps insisting that he's a comedian. At some point during Bush's reign, he became the only honest political pundit in America. Now he's free to do it "in the open"

Maybe more political movies, though Rosewater was very flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom