• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Tron Show - Reviews, Lists, Madness

PBG has grown on me over the years.
I'm enjoying his minecraft hardcore and zelda videos.
Looking back at the apples & grapes video he made years ago with John is pretty sad knowing that their friendship would end up like this.

Hell they both started normalboots together. I wonder what caused Jon to have such a falling out with normalboots, then Arin...he's the common denominator in every such case.

PBG has grown on me over the years.
I'm enjoying his minecraft hardcore and zelda videos.
Looking back at the apples & grapes video he made years ago with John is pretty sad knowing that their friendship would end up like this.

They lived together too. So yeah... Must be jarring to find out a friend, and former roommate, is secretly crazy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hahaha no, you get rewarded for that now, do you know whos President? He probably has more subscribers now. Its like Brewster's Millions, where if your goal was to end up with millions less subscribers you would say racist shit, and then end up with more somehow.
Isn't there a website that constantly checks subscriber counts for popular YouTubers?

Edit: SocialBlade. No change at all right now. I guess it's going to have to be bigger for him to get any impact, but he rarely posts (Unlike REACT™ who posts all the time) so I guess no one cares enough.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/jontronshow

Hell they both started normalboots together. I wonder what caused Jon to have such a falling out with normalboots, then Arin...he's the common denominator in every such case.

Egoraptor? Please don't tell me he's going down the same road he seems like a good guy after all these years since the newgrounds days (I think it's the same dude from the Newgrounds era).

Egoraptor? Please don't tell me he's going down the same road he seems like a good guy after all these years since the newgrounds days (I think it's the same dude from the Newgrounds era).
I think you misread that. He's saying that he was super close/roomies with pbg and egoraptor, and had a major falling out with either or both of them at some point.

I feel the make up they had for the star wars video was a burying the hatchet type of deal since they hang out in the same social circle, but I haven't really seen them do much together or talk to each other via like Twitter or shit so it might mean they aren't as close as they used to be

Jon so far has had two close friends cut practically all ties with him. I wouldn't be surprised if behind back doors he's hard to get along with.

Yeah that phrasing was unfortunate - I was referring to him abruptly leaving game grumps and Arin. It has been hinted that Jon isn't really good at collaborating with others but those are only rumours AFAIK.

Choomp

Banned
Been trying to avoid this but man this sucks. I wanted to give him more of a chance but something about the way he talked in that video kinda sucked. It's awful because I've always been a firm believer that he's one of the funniest people on the internet, and I have a lot of nostalgic value in his content. Not sure if I can ever see his stuff in the same light again.

ChrisD

Been trying to avoid this but man this sucks. I wanted to give him more of a chance but something about the way he talked in that video kinda sucked. It's awful because I've always been a firm believer that he's one of the funniest people on the internet, and I have a lot of nostalgic value in his content. Not sure if I can ever see his stuff in the same light again.

I just started sharing his videos with my sister and Uncle, so it's really got me in an awkward position.. "That dude I talked up so much and finally got you to give a shot? He's kind of uh... A pretty bad guy. You can go back to not watching his stuff, sorry about that."

Really unfortunate. Watched four or five of his vids, some classics, some new, on Friday. Just hours before reading about the whole thing. We were laughing at loads of stuff, it made me really happy to see them enjoy it so much...

I know this is primarily a Jontron thread, but for what it's worth, while Arin and those guys don't like talking politics much (for obvious business reasons), they've definitely slipped more than a handful of times on twitter in support of various protests etc, esp Suzy.

Others have said it, but given the animating company they keep (a lot of good ppl), I don't think you have much to worry about with them.

I know this is primarily a Jontron thread, but for what it's worth, while Arin and those guys don't like talking politics much (for obvious business reasons), they've definitely slipped more than a handful of times on twitter in support of various protests etc, esp Suzy.

Others have said it, but given the animating company they keep (a lot of good ppl), I don't think you have much to worry about with them.

I don't particularly care for Game Grumps sans Jon (and now don't particularly like Jon but I'm willing to keep watching) but good to hear.

Some of the other guys in that community have come out to be in the same camp as Jon. Such as psychicpebbles.

As long as I don't ever found out if OneyNG is a shithead as watching OneyPlays is a daily treat I think I'm good.

Yeah, see I like a lot of what Game Grumps does, so for folks who do still like their work (and stuff like their upcoming animation project), it helps to know that they're not secretly Jon-tier human beings.

It's hard to know with a lot of these Youtubers. For example I occasionally watch Markiplier, and while I don't consider myself a huge fan, I'd still be pretty sad if he turned out to be terrible. Haven't dug too deep though.

Defect

I don't particularly care for Game Grumps sans Jon (and now don't particularly like Jon but I'm willing to keep watching) but good to hear.

Some of the other guys in that community have come out to be in the same camp as Jon. Such as psychicpebbles.

As long as I don't ever found out if OneyNG is a shithead as watching OneyPlays is a daily treat I think I'm good.
Psychicpebbles is like Jon? How so?

Eh, Zach's vastly more liberal than what Jon just demonstrated, he just plays devils advocate a lot, and in this case he works on Jon's show so unlike Arin/Austin/whoever, there's no bad blood as far as I know.

I would honestly say Chris' twitter would irk you way more what with the constant complaints about SJW culture, but I feel like Zach (and unlike Jon) he'll discuss things out way more if you don't immediately damn him. Both him and Zach admit they're amateur political commentators at best, whereas some of those Jon tweets paint him as VERY egotistical IMO, even ignoring the opinion being put forward.

Which seems unwarranted when Game Grumps just a few years ago gave us a look into just how bad a grasp Jon had on a lot of world history.

ntinosaur

It feels so ironic and ignorant that JonTron would say bad things for Syrian refugees, since his parents migrated from Iran quite possibly during the Iran-Iraq war (speculating from his age).

UrbanRats

Well maybe I went too far in saying he's like Jon, but at the very least I've seen him right there arguing on the same side as Jon in some of his tweets. Such as arguing back and forth on the Nazi guy getting punched.

Don't know who this guy is, premise, but that's hardly a smoking gun.

Despite being used as "concern trolling" argument by a lot of shit heads, believing in a non-violent approach at all costs, while still supporting progressive ideals are not really at odds with one another (for obvious reasons).

Jontron is the first guest on psychicpebbles' Youtube podcast.

Haven't watched it (don't know if I will).
Besides a very quick crack at Jon's expense about it for a couple seconds they don't bring up anything about the drama surrounding Jon for the past few months.

Also says he's fine being back on Game Grumps as a guest if they'd have him.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do we still want him as a guest at this point though?

I mean I'd love it for the chance of having them together again, but this whole thing would just cause a lot more drama.

Jon's probably just gonna keep saying stupid shit too. By the time he went on, the air would be very cloudy. All of a sudden we'd have #BoycottGameGrumps.

Bahorel

Do we still want him as a guest at this point though?

Absolutely not. Minimize the platform of these kind of people asap. His support of this admisitration is toxic to any young people listening who don't know better yet and the less exposure he gets the better.

I'm honestly sad that he turned out this way. He was the one that got me into the gaming world on yt. Now all I see is the garbage that he is. It's just as well seeing as he's not funny anymore.

Besides a very quick crack at Jon's expense about it for a couple seconds they don't bring up anything about the drama surrounding Jon for the past few months.

good to hear I can enjoy the podcast without rolling my eyes at least.

Yukinari

I want him back as a guest if he promises to finish Sonic 06.

I dont think he can recreate the magic bond they had but it would at least be some closure on that series.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want him back as a guest if he promises to finish Sonic 06.

I dont think he can recreate the magic bond they had but it would at least be some closure on that series.
That's really the only reason he should be back on really. Any other game would be more fun with Danny anyway.

Seems cowardly, possibly sympathetic. Assuming it was recorded after all this, it sounds like this channel is fine with providing their platform for and prancing around with racist, sexist "alt-right" scumbags.

"Hey I'm Trump, I'm not so Trump..."
After which the pitch black vacuum of the boundlessly tense and bleakly awkward atmosphere would swallow the Earth whole.

Spman2099

He was great on GameGrumps, but there were some times he "slipped" into racist territory and it would get censored and we'd shrug it off like "eh, he doesn't know what he's saying". Now he's going all out full force to show how terrible he is and it's so sad.

I think I used to write a lot of what he was saying on GameGrumps off as just him being satirical or "edgy". I remember there were some off-colour jokes that I laughed at because I thought the joke WAS that it was terrible. However, this recent garbage just indicates that he was always a deeply ignorant person.

Spman2099

So out of curiosity am I one of the few here who still plans to watch his content as long as he doesn't bring political shit?

I have definitely washed my hands of him. However, though I have found his videos to be less funny in that last year or so, I will probably buckle here and there and watch some of his newer stuff. I really do think he is naturally gifted when it comes to comedy...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lmao guess it'll be a less active thread than it already was
This is the most active the thread has ever been.
Ha. That's the truth.

So, if he puts up a video at some point, maybe someone'll post it. I dunno. I'm on my YouTube Subscriptions page all the time and still get notifications when he uploads (for now) so it'll probably be me. Whether anyone watches it is anyone's guess.

WillyFive

So out of curiosity am I one of the few here who still plans to watch his content as long as he doesn't bring political shit?

He stopped making funny game videos like a year ago, and his movie reviews have been terrible; knowing what he thinks of others is just another reason for me not to watch.

Yukinari

Even if you ignore this political stances i feel like his content has gone downhill. He made fun of this with psychicpebbles on his podcast but a lot of people arent joking. Better production values and a shift in what you review does not automatically mean people will enjoy you more.

After he left grumps he started off strong and slowly got worse, especially with starcade. Then he goes one step further and deleted so many of his older videos that i genuinely liked. Its like if James just suddenly started deleting his older reviews.

RK128

I won't be watching his videos honestly. If I wanted charming movie reviews, I could watch the Nostalgia Critic and many other quality movie reviewers online. Game reviews I can find elsewhere too.

I don't feel bad honestly not watching Jon's videos personally, so while his future stuff may be good, I washed my hands of his content.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After he left grumps he started off strong and slowly got worse, especially with starcade. Then he goes one step further and deleted so many of his older videos that i genuinely liked. Its like if James just suddenly started deleting his older reviews.
Which videos did he delete? Aside from Apples and Breaks.

Village

I still think he's funny.

But I've known him , or at least known of him to be a shit person since... game grumps.

Every once in a while political shit slips in though, and its like, " you have talent god no stop"

While i wouldn't fault anyone for doing so, i just don't think i can support him in good conscience anymore.It would be one thing if he took a stance on something i disagreed with, but this is far more than that - something i find to be ethically wrong and indicative of much larger social issues.

Its difficult for me to separate the art from the artist, so to say.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hes definitely deleted some of his top 10 videos like top 10 worst boss battles and joke videos like his Sonic Colors review.

The Colors video is still up, it's just unlisted. You can check the OP for the link.

A few tweets about this:

Tom Bloke
now they're discussing AfD in Germany. JonTron is unclear on who they are but they're all cheering for them

"Carl of Akkad, JonTron and some dude talking Le Pen, Wilders and AfD. "Germany uncucked we're good guys" -JonTron on an AfD win", with video

As a german who just had to listen to a speech by one of their spokepersons that could have been confused by a Hitler speech sometime between 1930 and 1933 this is beyond maddening. The speaker, Björn Höcke, was barred from entering a concentration camp where a memorial was held to remember the Holocaust victims by part of the german government. And on the same fucking day this asshole dares to hope for them to win an election?

Fuck Jontron. Hearing about him being a fucking Alt-Right/White Supremacy sympathiser after all the years I've been following and supporting him makes me so fucking angry.

Also:

now JonTron is talking about how worried he was that Trump would lose and how happy he is with Trump's actions

I'm glad I missed out that 4 hour Sargon of Akkad podcast with Jontron, cause wow JonTron is even worse than before when I thought he was just an alt-right sympathiser. Dude's all the way in.

UrbanRats

Wonder why Maker/Disney hasn't dropped him yet since they just dropped PDP.

PDP has a much bigger image, i guess.
If this blows up any bigger they'll probably do it.
Besides, the two things are a bit different, since PDP is using shock humor, Jon Tron can play the "political opinion" card.

Top Bottom