• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

.JayZii

Banned
Running stream commentary:

Now he's denying that Irish people in America weren't considered white in the past? "That's bullshit. Those motherfuckers are the whitest people around. I'm gonna need more than a short wikipedia article about that."

Yeah, it's almost like the definition of whiteness is incredibly arbitrary. Alternative facts are literally killing me.

televator

Is there something I missed with AVGN outside of the GB nonreview? He didn't say anything offensive. I mean sure, his reasoning was childish despite his tone being calm, but I didn't get anything sexist out of it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Rewatching the video again and JonTron and the talk about Irish discrimination while Destiny brings up the "white n*gger" slur used in those times and the Wikipedia article, there is a larger article on that simply called anti-irish sentiment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Irish_sentiment

People from middle ages to early modern times had fear and hatred of the Irish people. They were depicted as drunkards and even gorillas. They believed the Irish was a threat to their culture, religion and overall values.

Rewatching the video again and JonTron and the talk about Irish discrimination while Destiny brings up the "white n*gger" slur used in those times and the Wikipedia article, there is a larger article on that simply called anti-irish sentiment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Irish_sentiment

People from middle ages to early modern times had fear and hatred of the Irish people. They were depicted as drunkards and even gorillas. They believed the Irish was a threat to their culture, religion and overall values.

It's one of many core examples of Jontron being uneducated vs. Destiny having a solid factual background on history...

Apathy

Running stream commentary:

Now he's denying that Irish people in America weren't considered white in the past? "That's bullshit. Those motherfuckers are the whitest people around. I'm gonna need more than a short wikipedia article about that."

Yeah, it's almost like the definition of whiteness is incredibly arbitrary. Alternative facts are literally killing me.

Hes uneducated. Like only a person so ignorant that they have never read a history book would argue that.

DatAhmedz

So is Maker behind NormalBoots or behind Jafari as a singular person? Would him being kicked out of NB be another Maker career end?

Nah. ProJared mentioned a while back that NormalBoots is a separate entity from Maker. So if Jon gets booted from NormalBoots or Maker, the rest aren't going to be affected by it.

Man that TB audio log... wew. Of course he says that Gizmodo

- took things out of context

- didn't include citations

- is a hit piece

- was part of Gawker and therefore complicit in spreading Hulk Hogan's sex tape

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

- is part of the dying liberal media outlets and is just lashing out at YouTube

etc etc etc. Basically every gamergate canard in the book.

NotLiquid

So is Maker behind NormalBoots or behind Jafari as a singular person? Would him being kicked out of NB be another Maker career end?

NormalBoots is only really a pseudo-vanity label. It's just a site that Jon and Austin created to curate video content and I don't think they actually get anything significant from it anymore - especially since everyone involved stopped doing the "first on NormalBoots, one week later on YouTube" thing really shortly after launch, and it hasn't updated in over a year.

Jirard even has his own site, That One Video Gamer, which seems way more competently run - he actually has an office for it, interns who regularly manage the TOVG crew who work there, and has weekly podcasts which Super Bunnyhop hosts along with Sunder.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

Lol
Yup fuck TB as usual then

Akronis

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

If this is true, then fuck TB. What a shithead.

Not giving TB the visitor, can you summarize?

Edit thanks to the above

He basically spends the 2 minutes bashing Gizmodo and his parent company. Due to lack on journalism integrity, which may be true or not, but is highly irrelevant in this case.

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

Or this. I couldn't stand listening more than 2 minutes...

Tagyhag

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

How is the gene pool comment taken out of context? There's zero way to defend that.

Wallach

Total Biscuit just uploaded an audio blog.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/841420106186010625

Props to Destiny to be able to hold his composure and make valid points during an argument like this. It's very difficult to do.

TB's angle mostly seems to be "what about Gizmodo though" and "JonTron's opinions aren't news". It's complete deflection from anything to do with what Jon actually said, because that's not really the "important" thing here.

Sou Da

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

"I'm going to try really hard to defend Jon's views without explicitly doing it". There's the summary.

Nabs

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

Thank you.

"I'm going to try really hard to defend Jon's views without explicitly doing it". There's the summary.
Sounds like TB to me.

If this is true, then fuck TB. What a shithead.

Of course it's true. TB has been a total shithead for years. Like, literally no one should be surprised that he's totally fine with Jon being a garbage person.

Like seriously, it's always the same people and yet somehow folks are still surprised.

kadotsu

Banned
Context isn't some magic defense you can incite. If there is "context", provide it. I would love to see the context that makes the shit in the video in the op ok.

gngf123

Total Biscuit just uploaded an audio blog.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/841420106186010625

Props to Destiny to be able to hold his composure and make valid points during an argument like this. It's very difficult to do.

Attacking Gizmodo instead of actually taking on anything JonTron said. Isn't this a straight Ad hominem?

And why is Gizmodo even focused on to begin with? Wtf?

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised this. TB just doing his usual gator thing.

Here's another one:

JT: Let's say the French see an influx of Islamic immigrants, who come in and say: "You don't give us enough handouts", like, "you're being racist", and they are rioting - what are the French supposed to think?
Woof, went to the bathroom when this was said live so I missed this part. Is there a single thing that Jontron said that entire debate that wasn't complete ignorant hogwash?
D: We're not talking about a basic thing like eating and consuming food! We're talking about the complex interactions and crossraods between culture and demographics and economy and geography. These are very high-level social issues that manifest themselves in far different ways across countries. We're not just talking about eating food.

JT: You speak pretty, my friend, but you haven't convinced me.
Thought this was funny since his vocabulary was pretty basic for such topics.

MrHoot

Oh for fuck's sake TB. How can you flop from being a progressive on one side but then trying SUPER hard to focus on shitty tangents while completely ignoring the crux of the whole thing. Fucking banging my head on this, can be such a dense motherfucker sometimes

NotLiquid

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

Like fucking clockwork. Called it that one of these YouTube dudes would do the "media is bad" spin to justify Jon visibly fucking up and making even his subreddit uncomfortable, his dedicated fan site, before an article ever ran.

Funny that tb criticizes trump while trying to to the same thing he does, discrediting the media.
Oh for fuck's sake TB. How can you flop from being a progressive on one side but then trying SUPER hard to focus on shitty tangents while completely ignoring the crux of the whole thing. Fucking banging my head on this, can be such a dense motherfucker sometimes
Yep. Basically two face at this point.

He's not being dense, the fact he's attacking the media, instead of dealing with the actual problem at hand is deliberate.

tbm24

Attacking Gizmodo instead of actually taking on anything JonTron said. Isn't this a straight Ad hominem?

And why is Gizmodo even focused on to begin with? Wtf?

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised this. TB just doing his usual gator thing.
Generally speaking, most people find it difficult to discuss this topic if they themselves have similar feelings I find. I haven't seen a TB video is years, but it'll be hard for me to think he doesn't agree with some premise JonTron is trying to get at now. It'll be up to him to change that if he cares.

I like how TB is immediately "I'm not defending JonTron!' Oh? So why when he says a bunch of racist, repugnant shit your first instinct is to attack an article calling Jon out for it? C'mon son...

Anung

Un Rama

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

So sprouting off the usual then?

entremet

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

I like TB but "stock" used in that fashion is clear white supremacists language.

Ok. So fuck TB and Jon Tron. Got it. Didnt watch their shit anyway but good to know that they are pieces of shit so I can continue to ignore them.

Is there something I missed with AVGN outside of the GB nonreview? He didn't say anything offensive. I mean sure, his reasoning was childish despite his tone being calm, but I didn't get anything sexist out of it.

See, that wasn't my take on it. I get why people are/were cool with what he said -- it certainly wasn't anything approaching the bullshit alt-right meltdowns we all witnessed.

But I felt like everything he said can be summed up by 'I don't want to see the movie because it's a bunch of girl Ghostbusters. I know I can't justify that, and I don't want to be a jerk, but....I just feel like it should have been the original guys.'

Polite, self-aware bullshit doesn't impress me.

Sou Da

Because it's deflection? It's the best he can do without giving Jon his direct approval.

Framing this as "Gawker attacks Youtuber because they're old and busted" plays a lot better than "You know Jontron has some points about keeping America racially pure".

xJavonta

Banned

- is a hit piece

- is against free speech

- is inciting harassment

there are literally posters in this thread that tried to shit on me for saying TB is awful then less than an hour later he says this shit. incredible.

Jontron is a fraud just like AVGN. They both admitted to only being gamers as kids and making fluke videos that took off. Now they are rich and only make game videos while pretending to have credibility.
How is James a fraud?

Edit: Is the about the ghostbusters thing? He just said he didn't want to go see the movie because it didn't look good. He only even made the video because people know he's a huge ghostbusters fan and would probably expect a video.

Armaros

Like fucking clockwork. Called it that one of these YouTube dudes would do the "media is bad" spin to justify Jon visibly fucking up and making even his subreddit, his dedicated fan site, uncomfortable before an article ever ran.

It's actually amazing, his Reddit fanbase turned against his views more then his 'YT compartiots'

Total Biscuit being an absolute piece of shit? SURPRISE SURPRISE

Give someone with an RP English accent and people will automatically think they are intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom