• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

-Amon-

I can't help but feel it like it'll get overlooked by ADHD 'journalists' who only remember games with the most explosions or that gave them the biggest hard-on. Journey has every right to be 2012's GOTY, and in all honesty I think it should be just for representing a more honest and grown-up direction.

Well ... from a gaming journalist point of view a GOTY has to be a game made for a big audience. In that sense, Journey is really not GOTY material.

From my personal point of view it surely is however.

Kaldea

Journey was the only reason I watched the VGAs this year. I really want that scarf that was worn when they accepted the awards. :D

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Geezus, was going through my first playthrough today and the dumbest thing happened.

Was a fair way in. Come across another stranger on this snowy bit and I think we were helping each other stay warm or something. We got passed the snow blast bit and we had two ways we could go. I followed him to the right and since I saw no other way through I presumed I had to fall down only to realise it was the bit we had just done... The other player followed me down as well, lol. I felt really guilty seeing they followed.

We quickly got back to our previous point and I made sure not to do something stupid again. I think we saw that you could give each other small flight boosts if you use B near each other so we were constantly doing that to make travel a little quicker.

A little further up from where we were we were flying toward this bridge, saw that my buddy's flight was running out so I made sure to stick near them and help boost them across. We got about half way and I noticed them getting perilously close to flying off the edge of the bridge. I kept watching them thinking why were they cutting it so close given our flight doesn't last so long and kept trying to keep him flying.
As he slowly floated off the bridge I realised the camera was following him. Holy shit, it was me. When I hit the ground and realised how long it'd take me to get back up and that this was the second time falling I was so embarrassed by the stupidity of it that I just turned the console off... smh, what an idiot. Wonder what the other player was thinking seeing me float off, lol.

dummydecoy

How is Journey's framerate? I see some stuttering in IGN's video review and it got me worried. Maybe it's my shitty PC or their shitty capturing. I want to know before I buy.

televator

LLTP: Just got the physical copy in the mail earlier. Played it...twice...

chameleon.gif

Not since SotC have I had goosebumps along with that sort of expresion on my face. No, words... what else can be said? Game of the fuken year. Heck, one of the best things in any category created in recent history.

I bought a code for Journey from GAME in the UK on Saturday. Travelled to my country yesterday and the code does not redeem for some reason. Anyone got any ideas?

Grinchy

Banned
Well I just beat it. I had already read that it was short and I expected to finish it in one day, but I was still surprised when it ended. I guess I was just left wanting more, which is probably a good thing.

I really liked it overall. It was so unique. It's uncanny how they can teach a player to play so fluidly without any words and how they are able to direct the player along the course even when it's a seemingly empty expanse of desert in every direction.

Celegus

Just played and finished it tonight in one sitting. Wow. I tried the demo when it came out and wasn't very impressed, but that doesn't even begin to show what's so good about the game. I just... wow. I think this is the first game to ever give me a sore throat from having my jaw drop to the floor the entire time and not realize I was breathing out of my mouth, with a stupid grin plastered on my face. What a fantastic game, a steal for $7 if you have PS+.

theytookourjobz

Just played and finished it tonight in one sitting. Wow. I tried the demo when it came out and wasn't very impressed, but that doesn't even begin to show what's so good about the game. I just... wow. I think this is the first game to ever give me a sore throat from having my jaw drop to the floor the entire time and not realize I was breathing out of my mouth, with a stupid grin plastered on my face. What a fantastic game, a steal for $7 if you have PS+.

+1

I decided I wanted my girlfriend to try the game last night. Now I'm curious if you you happened to run into her. I have no idea how many people are actively going through the game. Her name on PSN is TragicEyes.

Anyhow, that said, it was interesting to watch someone else play the game. She doesn't play a lot of games so she generally had a more straight-forward approach to clearing areas with less exploration and more about just getting to the next area. She also disliked the sideways view sliding area that's typically pointed out as being one of the most memorable. Her complaint was having the camera control taken away from her and not being able to see where she was going, heh.

I really had forgotten how nice the game looked, though. I haven't put together a formal list of my favorites for the year but I have placed Journey as a temporary #1 for the year and I think it'll hold that place for me. I might have to finally replay it in the next couple days, hopefully catching more players since the game is on sale this week.

Koroviev

I decided I wanted my girlfriend to try the game last night. Now I'm curious if you you happened to run into her. I have no idea how many people are actively going through the game. Her name on PSN is TragicEyes.

Anyhow, that said, it was interesting to watch someone else play the game. She doesn't play a lot of games so she generally had a more straight-forward approach to clearing areas with less exploration and more about just getting to the next area. She also disliked the sideways view sliding area that's typically pointed out as being one of the most memorable. Her complaint was having the camera control taken away from her and not being able to see where she was going, heh.

I really had forgotten how nice the game looked, though. I haven't put together a formal list of my favorites for the year but I have placed Journey as a temporary #1 for the year and I think it'll hold that place for me. I might have to finally replay it in the next couple days, hopefully catching more players since the game is on sale this week.

I'm going to try to play through it this weekend. I saw bits and pieces as my friend played through it last night, but it's hardly a complete experience without the interactivity.

And I was really, really impressed by the visual presentation. I hadn't seen any screenshots or anything prior to that.

Zertez

Finally got around to playing through the game and there isnt much to say that hasnt been said already. It is amazing how many emotions this game hit. There is still plenty of people playing the game. I ran into 10 travelers along the way.

Hmm suprised no one bumped this for winning GAF's GOTY awards. I didnt even get to vote and it still won. I didnt expect that so good job gaf!

Not sure what you are asking here...you mean gamesharing?

yea, gamesharing.

pretty broke right now, but really want to play this "game of the year"

if anyone is interested in sharing with me... pm me? lol

Duffyside

Banned
... *hesitates to bump* ... *makes poor decision*

I just had the sudden question of how many pages this game's OT was, considering it won GOTY here, and I found it remarkable that it is only 36 pages.

I wonder why that is, or what that means? You would think GAF's GOTY would have a 100 page thread, wouldn't you? Does that mean that Journey had some really long legs throughout the year, where people played it well after the OT left the front page? Or that the type of people who played and loved Journey are the ones less likely to post on messageboards frequently?

newjeruse

Yeah, but all threads up here. Such as Ni No Kuni, which has only been out a week, and already has a 51 page thread.
Short game, no multiplayer legs, not much in the way of "tips" which can be discussed in a community thread. Says how amazing the experience was, never post again.

Just bought this today from the sale and beat it in one sitting....I have never been so quiet. The game is beautiful. This game is unique and I can't explain how it makes me feel. I should've bought this day 1 but better late than never.

Chitown B

played this the one time, and haven't ever again. I'm not sure I want to - I kinda want to remember the original magic when I think of it.

Number45

I finally picked this up last wek, and I'm going to dive in this week. A quick question - I assume it's possible to play the game in small chunks? Maximum amount of time I'll get in a single session is going to be 2 hours. For some reason I got the impression that you need to play through it all at once.

Yeah, I've deliberately kept myself in the dark as much as possible about this game... even this long after release.

Number45

Well as of right now I'm not convinced there's a single category that Journey could fit in that I wouldn't give it my game of the generation. Played through in one sitting with one other player. <3

Also, brb buying soundtrack.

Kujo

Anyone know if Journey has ever been on sale by itself on the EU PSN store? I know it was bundled with Unfinished Swan a while ago, but I don't recall seeing it discounted on its own in Europe

LTTP, but i finished it yesterday (played at night) and it was such a fulfilling experience, a catarsis... I shed some tears every now and then, specially near the end of it, and well, after it was finished i just stayed there watching the desert scene...

I just never experienced something like this, it took me from the deepest peace of mind to indescribable terror, an emotional roller coaster, a really great experience...

Simply amazing.

That's it, just wanted to share my thoughts on it :)

Dakota47

LTTP, but i finished it yesterday (played at night) and it was such a fulfilling experience, a catarsis... I shed some tears every now and then, specially near the end of it, and well, after it was finished i just stayed there watching the desert scene...

I just never experienced something like this, it took me from the deepest peace of mind to indescribable terror, an emotional roller coaster, a really great experience...

Simply amazing.

That's it, just wanted to share my thoughts on it :)

I actually turned on my PS3 for the first time in about year and now I want to play it. I started it once, life intervened and I never got around to it anymore.

Dakota47

Finished it in one sitting. What an experience. Especially the other players dropping in and out were an awesome detail. Thank you all, kind strangers. I'll probably have another few go's at it for achievements and to help others.

Just completed a first playthrough blind. Highly recommend to anyone curious.

Embarassingly, I did not realize that I'd been joined by four companions along the way (I assumed they were the best AI I'd ever encountered!! lol) whose names appeared on my credits.

So,

a) there's still a community, and
b) if you are active in that community and helped me (czd_77) in my Journey...thank you so much!!

Top Bottom