• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Turns out I had only a half hour left in this turd of a game.

I can't believe how highly this "game" is rated. Zero challenge, no sense of danger or accomplishment through gameplay, and just boring overall. It's 90% walking through a pretty environment while listening to dramatic symphonic music. If this is what passes for a game, let alone art, I've seriously lost touch with this industry.

I'm genuinely upset I spent $15 on this, and would not recommend it to anyone. You'd probably get 80% of the experience by watching someone play through it on YouTube.

Edit: I'm really not trying to offend anyone here, but I feel this is perfect example of how desperate gamers are to have their medium considered "art". There's nothing of real substance here. It's certainly not a good showcase of what a video game should be. It's just a polished ball of wank, and "you're not cool or cultured unless you see its true artistic value".

That's how I feel, anyway.

I guess some people need more from their games. As an experience I think TGC make games that are unrivaled. Flower did it to me years ago, something so simple but really felt good and emotional. I knew I would love Journey and was a D1 purchase for me and it didn't disappoint.

Different things for different people, I know a couple of people that have played it and turned off after about half hour saying it's pointless and boring. It still won't stop me telling people what a great game it is though.

Tomodachi

I can't believe how highly this "game" is rated. Zero challenge, no sense of danger or accomplishment through gameplay, and just boring overall. It's 90% walking through a pretty environment while listening to dramatic symphonic music. If this is what passes for a game, let alone art, I've seriously lost touch with this industry.

I'm genuinely upset I spent $15 on this, and would not recommend it to anyone. You'd probably get 80% of the experience by watching someone play through it on YouTube.

Edit: I'm really not trying to offend anyone here, but I feel this is perfect example of how desperate gamers are to have their medium considered "art". There's nothing of real substance here. It's certainly not a good showcase of what a video game should be. It's just a polished ball of wank, and "you're not cool or cultured unless you see its true artistic value".

You see, you ARE actually offending someone. Those who say "you're not cultured enough unless you see its artistic value" are basically making the same mistake of those who say "you see its artistic value because you're biased and you want videogames to be artsy/considered art at any cost".
As I see it the thing is much more simple: the experience resonated or not resonated with you. I'm not calling people uncool or uncultured for not appreciating this game, I just think they seek different stuff in things, but I don't want to be considered biased and non-objective for appreciating it either thank you very much.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You see, you ARE actually offending someone. Those who say "you're not cultured enough unless you see its artistic value" are basically making the same mistake of those who say "you see its artistic value because you're biased and you want videogames to be artsy/considered art at any cost".
As I see it the thing is much more simple: the experience resonated or not resonated with you. I'm not calling people uncool or uncultured for not appreciating this game, I just think they seek different stuff in things, but I don't want to be considered biased and non-objective for appreciating it either thank you very much.
Yo, I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to honestly be touched by this game, but from what I've personally seen, there's much less of that, and much more "artsy hype" going on. People who are jumping on the bandwagon of emotion.

It doesn't bother me what people say, how they want to be presented, or if something really affects them - I think if someone gets an ultra-powerful experience from this game, that's fantastic and good for them. But I saw this same shit happen with flower, and plenty of other artsy games. There's a huge amount of wank near the release of the title, and as many people hop on that bandwagon as possible. Then it peters out, and no one will ever talk about the experience again.

Seriously, people had these same spiritual encounters and feelings of total zen and self-immersion when Flower came out. There were posts about how it made people cry, and that how gaming had hit a peak, etc.

Journey is cool, but nothing it does is ultra original or particularly excellent, in the literal term of the word. Games have looked abstractly beautiful before. Games have been given soundtracks that are manufactured to inspire emotion through use of dramatic symphonic style. We've had main characters with vague lives, goals, histories, etc. that we've had to abstractly piece together along the way. In some way or another, these tools have all been used before.

But that's not my problem. I'm fine with that. What irks me is that the one department they chose not to do jack shit in is actual gameplay. You know, that thing that every single video game must have. The gameplay in Journey is walk walk walk walk hold O float walk walk walk maybe jump/float or whatever then walk more. Oh yeah, and there are spotlights so I guess don't get seen by those, or whatever.

If there was some challenge, some depth, something that inspired fear in the player, something that made the player feel accomplished and triumphant, THEN we'd have a pretty sweet game. (Then we'd have something like Shadows of the Collosus.)

But we don't. They ignore the most important category of gaming either to make a statement, or because they're lazy, or (most realistically) because they're just not great gameplay designers.

Because of that, it ends up being a shallow, mediocre experience with some breathtaking set pieces and a dramatic (albeit generic) orchestrated soundtrack.

So it's because of those reasons I say that most people getting their wank off to this are merely following suit for one reason or another. I'm not even saying it on purpose - the subconscious mind is a powerful thing.

Someone said earlier in the thread after he beat Journey, "this is why I play video games." I don't know about you, but after I beat Mega Man 2, I said "this is why I play video games."

Donos

I respect your criticism for Journey Dacvak (not that i agree with it) but with this

So it's because of those reasons I say that most people getting their wank off to this are merely following suit for one reason or another. I'm not even saying it on purpose - the subconscious mind is a powerful thing.

you lost me.

Tomodachi

What irks me is that the one department they chose not to do jack shit in is actual gameplay. You know, that thing that every single video game must have. The gameplay in Journey is walk walk walk walk hold O float walk walk walk maybe jump/float or whatever then walk more. Oh yeah, and there are spotlights so I guess don't get seen by those, or whatever.
And that is just your opinion. Who has the right to say what a game MUST have?
And I really think there's no such thing as a "method" always valid to assess any game, but it looks like you're doing just that. You want complex gameplay in a game (a series of games, actually) that by choice (Flow's slogan was "Life could be simple") is all about other things. Maybe some people are satisfied with a series of breathtaking setpieces (you called them that yourself) between two sessions of Call of Duty or whatever people play, and the fact the Journey had this huge response is an index of how people is tired of seeing more and more complex games out there, maybe once in a while it's nice to go back to basic controls, relaxed atmospheres, haunting locations and such. And by the way, I really think that judging Journey without its groundbreaking online interaction approach is really unjust towards it, that is its most distinguish feature imho.

Regarding the hype bandwagon: I really think it's more likely to be turned off by the price/length ratio of the game (a totally understandable reaction by the way, even if I don't share it) than being enthusiastic only because everyone is saying it's a great experience and so on. Also, on a message board I'd actually expect to read A LOT of discordant opinions with the mainstream view just for the sake of it. And a lot of games have been bashed for being too artsy and not so great to play (my favourite game ever for example, Forbidden Siren, one of the most underestimated games ever...), they usually becomes niche games but never get to the universal attention Journey had. That must account for something I think. But I'm not saying that any game getting this kind of attention is surely a great game, of course.

I also wanted to point out that the sample of neogaf users is not a statistical relevant one. It's made of people inclined to enjoy this kind of games more imho, and I'm sure a lot of users who actually didn't enjoy it would not talk about it in the OT, not many people are inclined to spend time discussing something they didn't like. So that's why you're seeing this overwhelming reaction to the game in this thread, or at least one of the reasons.

Someone said earlier in the thread after he beat Journey, "this is why I play video games." I don't know about you, but after I beat Mega Man 2, I said "this is why I play video games."
And that is exacly my point, by the way. I would never say that a game like a Mega Man is why I play videogames, but that's because everyone plays them for different motives, especially today with all this variety.

Maddocks

such a fantastic game. It really is a journey, an experience.

I had one partner through the whole thing on my 2nd playthrough. I wanted to trophy whore so I wanted to do it alone. But he/she knew exactly what I wanted to do so he guided me through the whole thing. He/She would chirp next to all scarf add on till i was next to him/her and showed me how to avoid all monsters.

was a total boss experience but sadly we got separated at the end so we couldn't finish the game together, I was so blown away by it I had to message the guy but sadly he/she was Japanese so all I could say was "thanks" and I got no reply.

People who are jumping on the bandwagon of emotion.
I have to say, I'm very proud to not consider myself a part of that group, despite my posts above.

Literally, the only exposure I had to this game before buying and playing it were some screenshots from years ago and Brad's impressions on the Bombcast a while back. After seeing the screenshots, I told myself I would get the game for the visuals alone, and I just never kept up with this. I don't like buying things from PSN/XBLA, so I kind of thought I would never get this game, but I ended up with extra funds when I got a PSN card to get the last chapter's of Asura's Wrath (augh, so sleezy, and I just walk into it with open arms).

Even while playing, I totally recognized all of the issues you had with gameplay, but it just didn't matter to me. I found myself completely engaged with the changing scenery, the interaction with this unidentifiable second player, and the push towards this unknown light. Was it sappy? Yeah. Was it lacking in things that I hold fast to in other titles? Certainly. Do I think it's much more an Artsy product than a game product? Absolutely. Yet, I found myself more involved than I had been with any of the previous handful of games I've played over the last month.

Would I have the same impression of Journey if it weren't for the presentation? I highly doubt it. I think I would have been very bored and lamented spending my extra funds on a rather short, low-interaction product. However, the art and music were enough to outweigh that, in this case.
I did go back to it last night to get a trophy, and I ended up playing half the length of the game again. There's just something about the world that appeals to me.

I'm actually really thankful to have you posting your impressions at the same time I tried the game, because I knew this would be a very polarizing title the moment the credits rolled. I'm sorry to hear it didn't do anything for you, but I'm grateful to have the balance of your opinion against my own for my own personal reasons.

elohel

don't they say that they make "non games"? lol

Yes. Thank you.

Pretty much everything you said is dead on. Honestly it feels great to me to see somebody else post their thoughts in such a manner, as it reflects my own and I was seriously wondering if I was the only one who felt that way, with everyone else jizzing themselves over a game with no game in it and saying it's the evolution of games.

I like art pieces as much as the next guy (I enjoyed Dear Esther, for example) but these games just do absolutely nothing for me. I don't like the design, I don't like the intent, and the pretty pictures aren't enough to move me. I want to be moved because the gameplay was compelling, not because the music and pictures tried to tug the heartstrings in the most hamhanded way possible.

I really have to commend the sense of despair they were able to make you feel in the
snow level. Cold, dark with harsh conditions, your scarf getting smaller and smaller until you aren't even able to cry anymore, and on the brink of death to get suddenly rocketed up into a paradise sailing across every scarf to your final destination
, amazing work.
It's pricey but I don't regret the purchase one bit, one of my favorite games of the year.

BHK3

Banned

I agree with everything you said. It's gotten to the point with me where I actually get mad everytime I scroll over journey in my XMB, that I wasted $15 on that damn thing. From the no story to the no gameplay to the no anything but pretty pictures. I loved Flower, a lot, you're just a simple flower flowing through the air getting pellets turning into a gaint storm, bringing colour back to everything, that was actually fun and had a sense of wonder. What's in Journey? Walking and lots of sand. I felt tense during the obvious scenes but the ending I saw coming from a mile away and was poorly executed control wise, you're just floating everywhere trying not to fall. I hated the multiplayer because I never stuck with one person, the second the guy leaves my screen either because he jumped or wanted to explore a corner, there's a 90% chance I'll never see him again because he'll just turn to dust in the wind and I might encounter another guy later in the level(I rather call them segments due to length) and then we'll be separated at the end for no reason.

Walk, watch a pointless cutscene, walk more, jump some, walk, end game. As simplistic as flower was they at least had you do stuff, collect the flowers around the turbines to turn them on, destroy all the pieces of metal to restore colour. That was a lot better then going around making dolphin chirps to reveal pretty murals that mean nothing.

alright, about to get this one on PSN now... i mainly play my PS3 games offline though, is this game's Single player perfectly great on it's own or do i really miss a big part of the experience if i play offline only here?

-Amon-

alright, about to get this one on PSN now... i mainly play my PS3 games offline though, is this game's Single player perfectly great on it's own or do i really miss a big part of the experience if i play offline only here?

For me this game really shines when you're going in coop, but to each his own.

GeoramA

I highly recommend you play both offline and online.

Play through it first offline, especially if you want to explore. Then play with a companion your next playthrough.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Wow. Just beat it. That was awesome. The whole concept and metaphor for life is really cool. Don't tell me Videogames can't be art.

HenryHSH

Just played through this masterpiece in one session. I am amazed. What an amazing experience from start to finish.
I met three people during my playthrough and all three have been awesome and enhanced the experience a lot. Especially during the final stretch where we stuck together and helped each other out.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just finished the game. Did it in one session, and loved every second. This was the one of tthe only games I've ever played where I felt truly moved by the experience. Towards the end,
my partner fell off the bridge leading to the final snow section, I spent a good 10 minutes waiting and calling out before proceeding on. I felt genuinely sad to leave them behind, but just as I crossed the bridge and prepared to head further up the mountain, someone appeared on the other side of the bridge, calling out to me. It wasn't the partner who had just died, but it was a truly joyous moment.

The whole partner concept was genius.

ubercheez

This game.

Wow, this game.

Just played through the entirety for the first time, and it was such an amazing experience. Really looking forward to playing it again, but I think I'll let it sit for a few so I can soak in the first.

Seems like it's still decently popular too. I ended up having 5 different companions in my journey.

Donos

I have to say i only played it once and it was perfect. The memory of it is still fresh and i don't know if it would get tainted if i play again.

bought the collector's edition. really really cool game. i wish more games are like this and shadow of the colossus, instead of dudebro shooters.
also played flower but the sixasix control feels kinda awkward.

Melchiah

Fan art posted on the official FB page.

rr2wc.jpg

Quoted for size.
http://farukhussain.deviantart.com/art/Journey-320480382

Gila

So I just finally beat this game. Simply said, this game is beautiful.

I didn't really understand it so I'll try it again (love that it's a 2-4 hour game). Aside from that, everything, I mean everything was ace.

Visuals: Holy shit, what a masterpiece.
Gameplay: Fucking love the simplicity of it, and gotta love the minimalism of the controls.
Story: That's where I didn't fully understand what was happening but going to give it another go.
Sound: So. Fucking. Good. The OST is what really put it above and beyond.

9/10 Journey. Well done Thatgamecompany!

Castcoder

Banned
Just finished it after picking up the Journey Collector's Edition on the cheap. I loved that backdrop sand surfing sequence, my jaw just dropped instantly at the beauty. I never saw anything as visually compelling as that moment. And to think that it was just a lazy attempt at not adding textures to a big city area (according to the developer commentary).

We're not talking doom1 here, why should'nt they ?

Lots of people assume games have no one playing them online weeks after launch, as it is with some tiny throwaway downloadable games. The interesting thing about Journey is that anyone who buys it is instantly playing it online, whether they realize it or not.

Apenheul

I let a friend of mine play it last week while I watched, unfortunately he didn't encounter other players. He still liked it a lot.

edgefusion

This will easily get some GOTY awards. Not many games as good as this this year. Short, but strong.

I can't help but feel it like it'll get overlooked by ADHD 'journalists' who only remember games with the most explosions or that gave them the biggest hard-on. Journey has every right to be 2012's GOTY, and in all honesty I think it should be just for representing a more honest and grown-up direction.

Top Bottom