• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

-PXG-

Finally bought this. Such a relaxing game. I ended up encountering another player in Chapter 2. We got split up in 4, but reunited. I could tell it was the same person since they would call if we got too far apart.

Definitely a gem of a game.

Time for another "I finally got around to Journey" post.
I did my playthrough in bits and pieces so no long sitting here, very refreshing and the whole finale was fantastic. Lovely presentation in both sound and visuals, while there isn't much to Journey it was enjoyable, maybe not as grand as some would suggest but I wasn't expecting as such anyway.
The whole multiplayer aspect didn't mean much to me though, I didn't feel it added to my experience at least.
Point is I liked it, the flight/jumping around amused me far more than it should have.

Hale-XF11

Beautiful game. TGC really has a way with presentation and unobtrusive, yet poetic narrative. Looking forward to playing through it again. :)

Baconbitz

Banned
Two things I don't like. I don't like the way the game plays the second time through. The portals, no saving, most of the cut scenes are gone.

Second, I don't like the fact that I can t go back to any other game. It's just too hard. This game was simply too beautiful.

Melchiah

Time for another "I finally got around to Journey" post.
I did my playthrough in bits and pieces so no long sitting here, very refreshing and the whole finale was fantastic. Lovely presentation in both sound and visuals, while there isn't much to Journey it was enjoyable, maybe not as grand as some would suggest but I wasn't expecting as such anyway.
The whole multiplayer aspect didn't mean much to me though, I didn't feel it added to my experience at least.
Point is I liked it, the flight/jumping around amused me far more than it should have.

That's probably because you didn't play it through on one sitting.

Melchiah

I prefer going at my own pace and without screen illuminating chirping from some other player so i'm thinking in my case it wouldn't have made much of a difference if I did.

Well, the companion definitely added to the experience as far as I'm concerned, especially in the later levels, if you traveled with someone who wanted to go with the same pace. But I agree, that tagging along with someone who's in a more hurry than you might diminish the experience.

Tomodachi

What about saving? I noticed when I went through the portals it didn't save.
Actually it should save just like the first time, at the beginning of each level. Then you can select continue like the first time and start from there even if it's your second/third/etc playthrough.

Anth0ny

Just finished the game for the first time.

Absolutely sublime. The music and the art style is some of the very best I've ever seen in a video game. The narrative was beautiful, and just goes to show text boxes and voice acting are completely unnecessary when you have a great score and use the camera properly.

I encountered another player during from the
snow
portion of game, and we journeyed all the way to the end. Very cool stuff.

Just "beat" the game for the first time.

That "level" where you race down the sand during a sunset is the first time my jaw has actually dropped playing a videogame in five years.

YES.

This is probably the most beautiful game I've ever played since Wind Waker. Simply stunning.

U2NUMB

Bought the game at launch.. never did fire it up until a couple hours ago. The credits are just rolling.. WOW

I believe I went though the whole game with just one guy and it was awesome. We waiting for each other at check points and went back to help when needed. There is just something magical about how thatgamecompany creates a game.

An experience unlike any other game. Loved it!

Nevermind.. says I met 3 people along the way. I would have NEVER guessed that.

Baconbitz

Banned
Is there a wrong way to play journey? Is trying to collect a peices of fabric and if I dont get a peice I quit so I can re do it wrong?

edgefusion

Is there a wrong way to play journey? Is trying to collect a peices of fabric and if I dont get a peice I quit so I can re do it wrong?

There is no wrong way to play any videogame, just play it how you feel comfortable and enjoy it best. If it's your first playthrough you'd be doing a disservice to yourself to be repeatedly starting over though.

FireCloud

Don't know if this has been posted before but I thought it was interesting enough to share...
PwpJZ.jpg

BTW...my cats would not allow me to do this.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just wanted to say that his is hands down of the best games / experiences I have ever had. that much so...I shed a tear at the ending.

the setting, music and atmosphere was so powerful. it evoked such raw emotion...and I guess I can somehow relate my life to this game.

brilliant.

deep I know..

This was one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. I very much enjoyed it. It was short a sweet, like a Summer Love.... ahhhhhhh

Ra1den

Anybody played through this recently? What's the status of the multiplayer? Is it pure
white cloaks
by now?

Thinking of hooking up my PS3 and giving this another playthrough.

I got my Journey painting I mentioned some pages ago. It's framed in a plexy glass case. Very modern look I wanted so to go along the vivid green and pink colors. It's under protection film because I have still to travel 10 000km with it in the plane and obviously, it's bigger than my suitcase. I will update with close up once it's unwrapped and hanging on a wall. Macbook Pro 13" for size comparaison

Jarlaxle

Just played this for the first time last night since I couldn't play my Wii (Xenoblade) upstairs because my father in law was over.

I know this has been said many times before in this thread but what an amazing experience. I turned all the lights off and cranked up the surround sound. It took me 1 hour and 40 minutes but I consider this to be one of the best uses of $15.00 I've ever spent. I was a little emotional at the end.

I was a little worried that everyone I would run into would be someone that would just solve everything and everyone woud have super long scarves or something but that wasn't the case at all. I wound up playing with 4 other people and the first guy and I played for about half the game together. I was sad that I lost him at some point.

The end to that game was just amazing. I'm making my wife play it tonight and I'm just going to sit there and not say a word. I hope her experience is as good as mine. I'm a little worried that I've been hearing you have to select chapters or something. Is there a way I can make it the same way I played the game with all the cutscenes and stuff? I don't think I understand what the other poster is saying above.

smiggyRT

Oh wow. Finally got around to playing this despite having owned it for a while. Probably the bet PS3 experience I've had yet, i met my stranger inside 5 minutes and we were together all the up untill the summit when we got separated :(

Received a fantastic message from them as well which was incredibly touching and topped it all off. Awesome first playthrough.

I want to collect all the white collectibles in the world.
Will that earn me the white robe

What's the easiest way to go about this? Does the game tell you which ones you haven't earned yet?

Ra1den

I got my Journey painting I mentioned some pages ago. It's framed in a plexy glass case. Very modern look I wanted so to go along the vivid green and pink colors. It's under protection film because I have still to travel 10 000km with it in the plane and obviously, it's bigger than my suitcase. I will update with close up once it's unwrapped and hanging on a wall. Macbook Pro 13" for size comparaison

Awesome.
I want to collect all the white collectibles in the world.
Will that earn me the white robe

What's the easiest way to go about this? Does the game tell you which ones you haven't earned yet?

Yes that's what you have to do. You can see how many you are missing at the hub world area, there are some stones or something that are illuminated as you get each one.

The coolest way to get them all is to let somebody guide you.

I have wanted to play Journey for a little while now, I had previously played Flower but never finished it. But this is such as good experience, I think it benefits from have such a simple goal (travel to the mountain top), the music is excellent, the visuals are stunning and awe inspiring, and overall it gave me some highly memorable and emotional experiences. I think the stand out moment for me was when
the cut scene before you enter the snowy level shows you artwork displaying the overall journey and how close you are to the end
I was close to tearing up lol, it was a highly moving moment.

I can understand why some people may not like the multiplayer, but for me it was perfectly executed. It made me closer and care about the stranger who was playing with me, than in any other multiplayer game, period. Playing with someone in the last couple of levels, where I would deliberately wait for them, looking around to see them, makes you oddly attached to them, even though they are complete strangers lol.

Scapegoat

Damn I loved the art/music/feel of the game but the multiplayer aspect was a total wash for me. Reading some of these stories makes me feel like I missed something really special. I've played through twice and every time I met other people they would run off in different directions and didn't add anything to my experience.

Shockamoto

Neo Member
This is going to sound a little crazy but I feel like playing Journey ruined video games for me. After the strong emotional reaction I had to my first playthrough everything else seems superficial and uninteresting. I've been waiting for three damn months for this feeling to pass but it hasn't. I'm actually searching for other games that have been known to elicit a strong emotional response thinking maybe they can help me "get over" playing Journey. Has anyone else ever had an experience like this? Please tell me I'm not alone and that it'll pass... :(

Ok I have to bump this.

I haven't read the thread, but I have to say something. I was completely blind going into this game. I had no idea what it was about, it's features, it's controls, nothing. I probably don't have to regurgitate how astounding this game is, and how it left me with my mouth open as it was done.

Did it happen to anybody else? I had NO CLUE about the multiplayer component of this game, so when I met someone early on, I thought this was part of the game. We did everything together. We "talked", we propped each other up, I wanted to protect her (yeah I roleplayed it as a she). We stuck together right to the very end. I thought the devs had made a great adventure story with a sidekick.

My mind was fucking blown to find out that it was actually somebody else. I feel like we shared something special and I'll never know that person. Fucking impacting game.

plainr_

Okay so I finally got around to playing and finishing this game. Really heartwarming stuff with the music. One of the best games I've played in recent times.

Revealing the PSN ID of your companion at the end was such a nice finishing touch too. We ended up sending invites to each other at the same time. lol.

This was an absolutely stunning game. The moments when the music and the action on screen were in perfect union were mind blowing. Not to mention, the presentation was just beyond phenomenal. This is perhaps one of my favorite games of all time now, and I'm not sure I want to play it again. Well, at least not for a while.

Just amazing.

Here was the symbol/voice/chirp I had:
HxvXc.jpg

And here were the people I ran into, in case it might have happened to be someone on GAF:
Linked out of courtesy.

Companion 2 and 3, you guys were awesome. Sorry I had to leave you, 2. It felt awful leaving you in your meditation, but I waited so long for you. : (
3, I'm glad we made it through that last stretch together. It was really hard to keep up
after losing part of my scarf
, but thanks for sticking with me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Perhaps I have a deflated soul or something, but I just played about an hour and a half of this game and honestly, non-trollingly think it's a pile of crap as a game.

I get that it's super artsy, and the visuals and especially dramatic soundtrack really make the experience feel large... But there's no game here. This is like Flower all over again.

I feel no sense of danger, no sense of accomplishment. Everything is vague, but still obvious enough for you to know what to do next. Maybe I appreciate games in a different way, but first and foremost, gameplay is important to me. This game is so pathetic in that category. If this is suppose to be a puzzle game, it sucks because none of the puzzles are clever or thought-inducing. If it's supposed to be a platformer, it sucks because there's nothing difficult about the floaty, easy gameplay.

But if this game is supposed to be "art", I guess I can't argue, since that's purely subjective.

I saw people mentioning this in the GOTY-so-far thread, and I impulse bought it, even after the review synopses I read were vague and made little sense. So far, I'm regretting the purchase.

It was admittedly cool when I realized the second character was a real person - a neat "ah-ha!" moment for me. But the only tension so far in the game has been those dragon spotlight things that snip off a piece of your cape if they catch you, and even those are laughably easy to escape. Everything else is just giant, beautiful set pieces and an accommodating soundtrack.

I really hope this gets better. I could have spent that $15 on something else.

Probably best to stop now. Gameplay doesn't suddenly "appear" in these games. If the pretty pictures aren't enough for you then it's not going to do it for you.

Shame about the $15 though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Probably best to stop now. Gameplay doesn't suddenly "appear" in these games. If the pretty pictures aren't enough for you then it's not going to do it for you.

Shame about the $15 though.
Boy that's a bummer. I've heard it's short (only a few hours?) so I might as well finish it as I'm more than likely past the half way point. Oh well, lesson learned. Should have tried the demo.

It only took me 2 hours to beat, and that included spending time waiting on my second companion when they kept pausing the game when we were together. I say finish it, Dacvak. I don't think it will necessarily change your mind/impression of it as a whole, but it's worth seeing through to the end because they do introduce a few more elements in the last parts.

I saw this as more of a movie I was guiding than a game, but I really loved it.

Been listening to the soundtrack all day at work, and I am in love.

I choked up at one point, and I realized it was
the piece from near the very end
, hahaha

Dacvak

Turns out I had only a half hour left in this turd of a game.

I can't believe how highly this "game" is rated. Zero challenge, no sense of danger or accomplishment through gameplay, and just boring overall. It's 90% walking through a pretty environment while listening to dramatic symphonic music. If this is what passes for a game, let alone art, I've seriously lost touch with this industry.

I'm genuinely upset I spent $15 on this, and would not recommend it to anyone. You'd probably get 80% of the experience by watching someone play through it on YouTube.

Edit: I'm really not trying to offend anyone here, but I feel this is perfect example of how desperate gamers are to have their medium considered "art". There's nothing of real substance here. It's certainly not a good showcase of what a video game should be. It's just a polished ball of wank, and "you're not cool or cultured unless you see its true artistic value".

That's how I feel, anyway.

Top Bottom