• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Will the OST be available on PSN? The final track in the game is such a beautiful piece of music, I have some credit on my PSN account and want to buy it.

Should be available on PSN later today (if you're in the US/have US acct) otherwise, it'll go live when the store updates for the different regions.

Nert

Listening to the soundtrack right now, and it's fantastic. "Threshold" and "The Road of Trials" stand out as early highlights.

Melchiah

Should be available on PSN later today (if you're in the US/have US acct) otherwise, it'll go live when the store updates for the different regions.

Every time something interesting is about to be released, my dislike grows towards the fact that the EU PSN is nowadays updated a day after the US PSN. Europe is Sony's largest market, yet we're constantly treated as second class customers; US PS+ tends to have better freebies and discounts as well. Where's the sense in that?

Listening to the soundtrack right now, and it's fantastic. "Threshold" and "The Road of Trials" stand out as early highlights.

Didn't realize just how creepy Descent sounds and how Nadir has that mix of drama and tension that makes it sound unnerving...

I'm loving this soundtrack more and more... it feels so...magical I guess?

Soundtrack is now $5. How much am I going to be charged if I bought it a couple hours ago when $10? :(

I feel kinda cheated now that I bought it at around nine last night... but the soundtrack's worth the $9.99 I paid for it. If they credit me, that'd be dope.

Gilby

Free MP3s from Austin Wintory (the composer), plus an interesting interview with him on that page if you haven't already heard it.

Edit: Seriously, you guys need to check these out! There's an ocarina cover of I Was Born For This.

Quoting myself for all those interested in this game's music. As soon as you sign up you get sent a link to a whole bunch of variations of the game's music (many orchestral) as well as some other stuff he's composed/conducted. Highly recommended!

schnarf

I am wondering the same thing...I have a ticket in with iTunes asking that very question. Will update here when I get word back from them.

Update: iTunes customer service wrote back to me and seemed to indicate that I would be paying the full 9.99, but they did credit my account with 5 free songs. Better than nothing I guess.
Truth be told, I have no regrets about paying $10 for the album, as it is fantastic. It is just a bummer when less than an hour later the price went to half of that.
C'est la vie.

I was planning on getting the OST at £7.99 but £3.49 is a ridiculous bargain.

Apotheosis is worth that and more.

I played through again tonight as a white robe helping out a new guy. Felt good man.

Tilian

Banned
The heck? Apotheosis is track 17... The whole OST is 18-tracks. How many does your version of the soundtrack have?

Still figuring this out. I have 14 tracks total. Bought it last night for 9.99. Now I'm looking at iTunes and there's 18 songs.

They must have changed this? I think I got screwed.

EDIT: yeah, I got screwed. I've tried to re-download it via the purchased history and only 14 songs appear. I think I got caught in that weird update last night.

Still figuring this out. I have 14 tracks total. Bought it last night for 9.99. Now I'm looking at iTunes and there's 18 songs.

They must have changed this? I think I got screwed.

Weird. I bought it for 9.99 last night and had all 18 songs download onto my ipad. Used icloud this morning to download it onto my iphone - still had 18 songs.

Lime

I wasn't able to buy the soundtrack earlier (before the sale) because they were "correcting" the release according to the error I got. When it was back up, it was on sale and included 18 tracks.

Tilian

Banned
OK, I got it working now. It's showing up on my cloud. Weird. Glad to have Apotheosis and I Was Born for This, my two favs!

edgefusion

Man this music is beautiful, I would've happily paid £7.99 for something which is a masterpiece from start to finish. Just mind-blowingly incredible.

Were the lyrics to "I Was Born For This" ever posted? He (Austin) mentioned he would post them after the game was released.

Edit: Wow, it's currently number 47 in the UK iTunes chart.

Zia

Did my second full play through last night. I had played again, specific areas to show people, but I didn't want to ruin myself on the game and gave it a bit of a break. I had a single partner the entire time, a transcended player who showed me all the little secrets.
Ended up getting all of the symbols, but one, went through fifteen gates, went through the underground section with my scarf intact, and found the flOw creature. When I finished I actually looked up the location of the last symbol online, just to grab it -- it was the "second" symbol of the second area, the one located on the ledge to the left of the gate. So obvious, yet I'd never have found it on my own, so no regrets.

Might play some today now that I've transcended and grab my (two) missing trophies. Such an incredible game that, like a good film, I see myself pulling out every six months or so to experience. Really, truly perfect.

Finally got a chance to play this last night. So wonderful, my 5 and 8 year old daughters sat down and watched it with me. "Is this like Dear Esther?"

Felt bummed for my partner when I had to quit to put them to bed, stoked to pick it up again tonight and finish it for the first playthrough. I'm hoping my eldest will want to play it and want to watch her explore the world.

Anyone else who won the SCARF contest, did you get yours yet?

I just got this email today:

Hello,

I’m sure you are wondering where the Journey scarf is. Well, they have been quite the journey themselves. A shipping mishap with Sony has caused a delay in sending them out, but I’ve been told a new batch are en route to me this week & I’ll be sending you your Journey scarf the day they arrive.

Sorry for the delay!
--------------

I had forgotten about it until they emailed me. I figured it would take some time, but it's nice knowing they are coming direct from Sony.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just got my final 4 trophies for this with my best (4th) play through - side by side with my companion for the final levels, I was white robe and helping him out where I could. There's something about those final levels, huddling together in the snow hiding in those little boxes and climbing the summit with that final build up. Such a great game!

Miggytronz

I just got this email today:

Hello,

I’m sure you are wondering where the Journey scarf is. Well, they have been quite the journey themselves. A shipping mishap with Sony has caused a delay in sending them out, but I’ve been told a new batch are en route to me this week & I’ll be sending you your Journey scarf the day they arrive.

Sorry for the delay!
--------------

I had forgotten about it until they emailed me. I figured it would take some time, but it's nice knowing they are coming direct from Sony.

YES!

Dreweyes

Just made a t-shirt parody & homage to Journey!

What do you guys think?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/8720638-odyssey

8wSKg.jpg

Roubjon

So I looked into getting the Journey OST, but I found out that the only bit rate available is 256kbps. That's pretty disappointing. So it's I either get the physical release of the OST which will be more expensive, or I don't get it at all :/

And that's a very well designed shirt, Dreweyes. Nice job. I'd consider picking it up.

EDIT: Haha, after looking through your portfolio I see you are the one who made the Legend of Ramona shirt for the Scott Pilgrim Contest at WeLoveFine. I really liked that one, chances are you will probably win one of the prizes. My brother also entered with the Nega-Scott and Bass Battle Designs. Small world.

Dreweyes

So I looked into getting the Journey OST, but I found out that the only bit rate available is 256kbps. That's pretty disappointing. So it's I either get the physical release of the OST which will be more expensive, or I don't get it at all :/

And that's a very well designed shirt, Dreweyes. Nice job. I'd consider picking it up.

EDIT: Haha, after looking through your portfolio I see you are the one who made the Legend of Ramona shirt for the Scott Pilgrim Contest at WeLoveFine. I really liked that one, chances are you will probably win one of the prizes. My brother also entered with the Nega-Scott and Bass Battle Designs. Small world.

Haha niceee, thanks! Very cool! :)

I just played this game today for the first time. I don't like high art anything books, movies, and much less games. I fully expected the game to be fairly boring and uninteresting, but I picked it up to say I played it anyways. I was wholeheartedly surprised to find the game part of the game excellent, but also the impact of playing through the game mostly with one other individual, who I have to imagine was new too or extremely patient, was strong. I feel this game is special in a lot of ways that Braid, Limbo, and Flower failed. While all mechanically interesting games they were all also overblown as example of art in the medium for whatever reason this game did not suffer from it and am extremely glad I played it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Climbed the tower as a white cloak without activating the runes, pretty easy. Some brown kept chiming me but his scarf thing was way to short to even try it with him.

SlickVic

Man, the atmosphere and music in Journey really is top notch; think I may just end up getting that soundtrack. Also, I'm kinda glad I played through it in one sitting as suggested by some here. Granted the length doesn't make that a terribly difficult feat, but I just loved seeing the smooth transitions in locations through the course of the game, and just felt that was easier to appreciate playing through it in one go.
Props to thatgamecompany for crafting such a memorable experience for us.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Bought the game back when it came out and only played it for 5 minutes. Finally, today I had some time to relax and enjoy the game from beginning to end.

It's one of the best games I've ever played this generation. Every single level: I was in awe, I was laughing with joy, I was almost in tears by the impressive level design. It was amazing from beginning to end, something that most games can't accomplish. All for $15. Much better than most games this generation at $60. I fucking love thatgamecompany.

I just bought this game now that my semester's over, and after playing it for 20 minutes I have one question:

Can I play it offline? I know that part of the whole "experience" is meeting up with random players and "experiencing" everything together, but I feel like I'm missing something here; a random person entered into my game (or I entered into theirs), and they started doing everything that needed to be done in the level. I'm pretty sure they had played the game before, since their robe had more markings than mine, and so instead of exploring and solving any puzzles on my own, they did it before I had a chance to.

I really feel like I'm missing something here. Can I just turn my Wifi off and enjoy the game?

Donos

I just bought this game now that my semester's over, and after playing it for 20 minutes I have one question:

Can I play it offline? I know that part of the whole "experience" is meeting up with random players and "experiencing" everything together, but I feel like I'm missing something here; a random person entered into my game (or I entered into theirs), and they started doing everything that needed to be done in the level. I'm pretty sure they had played the game before, since their robe had more markings than mine, and so instead of exploring and solving any puzzles on my own, they did it before I had a chance to.

I really feel like I'm missing something here. Can I just turn my Wifi off and enjoy the game?

Just log out of PSN.
(someone mentioned that if you don't agree the online terms at the beginning of the game you also play "offline")
Still i think the game is best played with others.
Sad thing that more and more ppl will encounter situations like you discribed. I think the best moment to start the first playthrough is when journey is on sale and there is a new wave of firsttimers.

Just "beat" the game for the first time.

That "level" where you race down the sand during a sunset is the first time my jaw has actually dropped playing a videogame in five years.

casabolg

Banned
Looks like it's time to school some kiddies. Lay down the law, so to speak.

Journey is the single deepest, most challenging, most skill-based game ever created. There is not a single other game in any genre that comes close to the level of skill Journey requires.

This is why Journey threads are the best, most intelligent discussions on the internet. Only the smartest, brightest, and most patient people post in them. Essentially, the very best of humanity posts in them.

Conversely, the only people who don't like Journey clearly don't have the skills to handle its depth. It is too hardcore for them. That's okay though. Games like Halo exist for people like them. Journey fans are too good to hold grudges.

Donos

To whom are you responding ? Don't get the feeling that ppl in this thread are hostile to different opinions about journey.

Danielsan

Looks like it's time to school some kiddies. Lay down the law, so to speak.

Journey is the single deepest, most challenging, most skill-based game ever created. There is not a single other game in any genre that comes close to the level of skill Journey requires.

This is why Journey threads are the best, most intelligent discussions on the internet. Only the smartest, brightest, and most patient people post in them. Essentially, the very best of humanity posts in them.

Conversely, the only people who don't like Journey clearly don't have the skills to handle its depth. It is too hardcore for them. That's okay though. Games like Halo exist for people like them. Journey fans are too good to hold grudges.
Ooh the irony.

Top Bottom