• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Thinking of buying this, how is the co-op community holding it? If I start now will it still be a good experience?

It has a surprising replay value. I've played through a couple of times and the friend who wasn't interested but I gameshared it with can't stop playing it so there are still a lot of players but you run the risk of being lead through the game.

where do i share my experience of Journey? here? no? i'm still ganna share it :p

btw, i loved flow and flower, and i gotta add Journey to the list now:

i played journey twice today, once in the morning after i bought it, and then at night, at first i did solo or was ignored by other people ;(, and i found my own way to the mountain.
i could really feel the harsh winds and the snow level really got me sad. after i reached the ending, i felt emotional, but i didn't feel the thing that makes this game tick.

-second time i played, i met a companion early on and we finished everything together- he, i think, knew most of the areas as he showed me most of the secrets and - at the end, drew a heart for me :)

i think Journey really shines when you meet a companion (who you cant communicate by normal means) that is willing to stick out with you till the end. i think journey is meant to be played together (this is my interpretation anyways) , and i played through the entire level with relish. i was scared and scattered in the first playthrough, and everything was much, MUCH enjoyable and meaningful with a mate.

hell, that alone made it worth 15 dollars, and man, to have a connection with a total stranger - throughout the entire game... :)

1stStrike

Banned
where do i share my experience of Journey? here? no? i'm still ganna share it :p

btw, i loved flow and flower, and i gotta add Journey to the list now:

i played journey twice today, once in the morning after i bought it, and then at night, at first i did solo or was ignored by other people ;(, and i found my own way to the mountain.
i could really feel the harsh winds and the snow level really got me sad. after i reached the ending, i felt emotional, but i didn't feel the thing that makes this game tick.

-second time i played, i met a companion early on and we finished everything together- he, i think, knew most of the areas as he showed me most of the secrets and - at the end, drew a heart for me :)

i think Journey really shines when you meet a companion (who you cant communicate by normal means) that is willing to stick out with you till the end. i think journey is meant to be played together (this is my interpretation anyways) , and i played through the entire level with relish. i was scared and scattered in the first playthrough, and everything was much, MUCH enjoyable and meaningful with a mate.

hell, that alone made it worth 15 dollars, and man, to have a connection with a total stranger - throughout the entire game... :)

That's how it was for me on my first play through. I met someone in literally the first area an we both played through the entire game together, huddling against the cold, trying to keep one another warm with our voices. Even when I messed up they waited for me, or helped me find stuff.

At the end, after we finished the game, the person even sent me a PSN message thanking me for the journey.

Really fantastic experience. I haven't played the game again yet, as that first experience was just perfect and I don't want to taint it, but I'll probably do another play through this weekend.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
beautiful game, bought it last night went to bed, figured id just wander around for a bit then head out to do some stuff.

NOPE.

met a fellow burgundy robe in the bridge section and i spent the next 2-3 hours finishing the game with him/her. Twice those
giant robo snakes picked a fight
with my partner, poor guy.

made it all the way together! was great.

I really want to download this game. I do. I also want I am Alive.
I was pretty hyped for I am Alive and the demo showed promise. However, I've listened to people talk for hours between multiple podcasts on how good Journey is and it really intrigues me. But at times it almost sounds like this is more of an experience rather than a game. Is that true? Also, the preceding question will kind of answer this one but does it have any replay value?

please don't respond with "get both", i have the money but i only want to get one at a time

I really want to download this game. I do. I also want I am Alive.
I was pretty hyped for I am Alive and the demo showed promise. However, I've listened to people talk for hours between multiple podcasts on how good Journey is and it really intrigues me. But at times it almost sounds like this is more of an experience rather than a game. Is that true? Also, the preceding question will kind of answer this one but does it have any replay value?

please don't respond with "get both", i have the money but i only want to get one at a time

I replayed it about six times :)
And have every intention of going and playing more.

JaseMath

Just played through this for the first time. I had only heard of this game in name and on the good word it is currently getting throughout the gaming world. I had no idea what this game was about, gameplay mechanics, how long it was - nothing.

Man...what a beautiful experience. Although...

...I wish I had know there were online partners with you throughout the entirely of the game. I hate to admit it, but for a large part of the game I was actively working against these online partners. At first, I thought they appeared as "guides", showing me what to do because I was progressing too slowly...but they never went away. Did I stumble on a glitch? I wanted to explore! To find hidden symbols! Naturally, I was frustrated when they didn't go away, feeling compelled to move ahead at a much quicker pace than I wanted since the partner was doing everything if I didn't follow him/her. I really didn't understand what was going on...for a while I wondered if I was playing in some kind of time-attack mode. I also kept thinking, "Why on Earth does the computer move so sporadically?" I thought it as a very odd design decision.

It wasn't until the end -
during the snow level
- that I realized that if there was any one way to play Journey incorrectly, it was the way I had. :( I'll get it right next time - don't worry!

But then, maybe that's the point...

I'm really worried that this game is an allegory for my life as it is now. The fact that a 2-hour game can leave this kind of lasting impression is a testament to its brilliance.

Zuly

I wish the companions would show up on the "Players Met" list. I wanted to message some of them but I pressed start too soon. :-/

Finished in one sitting. Found it funny that in all the seriousness of the end game I was paired with someone named Bigboobgobbler. LOL. Wonderful game.

This is the last time I listen to the last level track on my way to work... I can't help dropping some tears from my eyes while listening to this beautiful very emotional track ;_;

Ravage

Finished in one sitting. Found it funny that in all the seriousness of the end game I was paired with someone named Bigboobgobbler. LOL. Wonderful game.

Lol this reminds me of the awesome guy i was paired up with in my first playthrough. My most intimate co-op experience was shared with someone called iluvbigb00bsjaja

Eurogamer said:
Chen takes a quick breath. "There's this assumption in video games that if you run into a random player online, it's going to be a bad experience," he continues. "You think that they will be an asshole, right?"

"But listen: none of us was born to be an asshole," he says. "I believe that very often it's not really the player that's an asshole. It's the game designer that made them an asshole. If you spend every day killing one another how are you going to be a nice guy? All console games are about killing each other, or killing one another together... Don't you see? It's our games that make us assholes."

Hilarious but true. Had this been any other game, I'd instantly lump iluvbigb00bsjaja together with all those assholes i met online judging by his name.

Wow. Ended up postponing my playthrough yesterday to tonight and I just finished. What a great game. 15 minutes in I was like "oh this is kinda cool" but I was beginning to think i'd just be pushing forward on the analog stick for the next two hours; I was pleasantly surprised. There's no real way to even describe this game to someone other than to get them to actually play it, it's like a made for the back of the box quote, "like nothing you've ever played before."
The co-op is such a great idea, I played the first half with one person and the second half with another, and the limited means of communication gave the game a really unique feel. (as if it needed more of that)

I had heard a lot about this game but never actually watched any gameplay, so in a way it was a blind purchase; I'm definitely glad I took the plunge.

hatchx

Banned
Just beat it. Amazing game. I wouldn't even call it a game, moreso an interactive experience.

Can someone explain the 'connect to PSN' feature? I connected and nothing happened? Is there some sort of online? Any reason to replay it other than trophies?

Can someone explain the 'connect to PSN' feature? I connected and nothing happened? Is there some sort of online? Any reason to replay it other than trophies?
The game pairs you up with a random person and the only form the communication is via the O button. It doesn't give you the other players PSN ID until after you finish.

It was fun figuring the game out and exploring with another person on my first playthrough on release day. We ended up sending messages to each other afterward and added each other as friends on PSN.

On my second playthrough, the person I was playing with obviously played through it numerous times because he showed me a lot of things I missed on my first playthrough.
I would have never found the flOw creature on my own.

Pinbot

Banned
So glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Spent that last 2 hours being wowed by the game. Had 8 different partners, some jumped forwards too fast, but I see myself playing this many more times!

Thanks for the gushing and thus recommending, GAF!

krishian

Just played again after a couple of weeks and tried the white cloak for the first time. It's really amazing how powerful the game is, even after ~10 playthroughs. The surfing and snow levels still get me every single time. And playing the entire game with one companion and seeing him/her get ripped to pieces on the mountain is heartbreaking. :(

Kinda bummed by the fact that I got paired with a first time player today (judging by the cloak, at least) and he just kept following me, without trying to do any exploring by himself.

Cheech

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking buying this. I didn't really like Flower, but this looked like it was more of a game, but.. yeah.

I played Journey for about 30 minutes and then deleted it. Waste of time and $15. I don't get what the little groups of scarves are supposed to do, not sure what all the symbols mean, none of it makes sense. It's like watching Lost, but without a narrative to make me care. Ugh.

Mik2121

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking buying this. I didn't really like Flower, but this looked like it was more of a game, but.. yeah.

I played Journey for about 30 minutes and then deleted it. Waste of time and $15. I don't get what the little groups of scarves are supposed to do, not sure what all the symbols mean, none of it makes sense. It's like watching Lost, but without a narrative to make me care. Ugh.

I think I might know why...

ScOULaris

You only played thirty minutes into the game and then deleted it? While it's entirely possible that the game isn't for you, I would at least suggest that you re-download it and try to finish the game.

It's only two hours long, so it's not like you'd be wasting your time if you didn't end up liking it after all it said and done.

People not liking Journey hurts my head.

At least give it one full play through. It's not hard to figure out if you've played games for any length of time in your life. There is essentially one play mechanic and the story (like Lost, in a way) is not meant to be readily apparent from the get-go. And it's not difficult. Just enjoy the ride and at least get something for your $15.

NinjaBoiX

Just finished it, wow. My mouth was literally a gape for the last half an hour. A lot of the guys I met along the way had much longer scarfs than mine (ahem), does it carry over to a new journey, or is there just loads of secrets I missed? Also, what's with the white robes?

Just finished it, wow. My mouth was literally a gape for the last half an hour. A lot of the guys I met along the way had much longer scarfs than mine (ahem), does it carry over to a new journey, or is there just loads of secrets I missed? Also, what's with the white robes?

Scarf length doesn't carry over, but if a partner has found more of the glowing symbols than you, they'll have a longer scarf.

The white robes?
If you collect all the glowing symbols in the game - it can be over multiple playthroughs, you don't need to get them all in one go - you will have the option at the stage select area to don a white robe. The white robe starts out with a longer scarf and recharges when you touch the ground.

Tilian

Banned

The length of your scarf resets with every play. It's just a process of finding and collecting the glyphs each play through. The
white robe is obtained when you collect all of them, and ou can change colour in the level selection pit/area on the first level.

I've now played this about 20 times through. Amazing how you can discern the subtle personalities in each gamer based on interaction, chirping, or how closely you stick together.

And my favorite has to be
climbing the tower without filling the chamber
. Feels like a great accomplishment.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I played it again last night without the 'race to the end' kinda exploration. I was lucky enough to get a white robe at the beginning who helped me get almost all of my trophies through the whole game. It was such a amazing experience to have the one partner though the whole game. I was sad when I couldn't remember his name to message him thank you. PSN was something like Miuori_ryu. but longer haha:p

If you happen to be on GAF and read this, THANKS!

Hydrargyrus

Yesterday I played my first round. I beat the first section with one partner, but I ended it alone, but since there, I found another partner, that follows me the entire game till the end.

We walk together through all the obstacles but, at the end, when I thought that I had lost my partner in the last section, when I reach the top and see him (or her) waiting for me, to cross together... that was probably the best experience in my entire life as videogamer.

Sorry that I couldn't catch the name... It was mutosan or something.
I'm Samueltech. I miss you partner

On my second playthrough, I met a white robe in the second section that helped me find a bunch of stuff and tagged along with me while I was exploring for things like the flower and the scarf enhancements.

We went through the entire game together.

On the last section we
chirped to each other CONSTANTLY all the way up the mountain until our chirps were barely even registering and until we collapsed, and then, when we were resurrected and made our way up through the sky together, and landed on the top of the mountain, he drew a heart in the snow for me. Then we walked into the light together, chirping the entire way, like we did before the collapse.

This game is one of very few to give me an odd feeling. The feeling of being satisfied, yet still wanting more. I only really ever get that feeling from movies.

I loved it. I need to play it again, I feel.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've been reading about a lot of people finding someone who meets a white robe and gets shown everything in the entire game. I do that for red robes all the time so i can see looking back at it and feeling spoiled. But I didn't see a white robe until my 3rd playthrough and it was kind an awesome experience. Pink sands loads and all of a sudden there he was, walking to the first dune with me. I stayed with him and was psyched about it for the entire game. Don't feel bad about it... they might feel like you about it after 5 or 6 more times through the game but that FIRST time? You make a friend for life.

Also: I almost never use the red robe anymore and I play through the game usually once every 2 days or so as a nice time out meditation. In all my experiences as a teacher I have yet to get someone to really properly fly with me who wasn't a white robe. It's almost got me convinced that red robes can't sing charge into my scarf even tho sometimes i SWARE they are. Am i just underestimating the length of my scarf? Or just unlucky?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very interesting game, though it's more like an interactive art piece than a 'game' per-se... played most of my second half with a dude named "HarbingerOfCrap", of all things. Will go back later this week to get all the collectibles and hopefully the trophy where you play through the whole game with someone. Still trying to reflect on the storyline and symbolism of the game, links to any theories would be appreciated (I have avoided the OT until now due to spoilers).

Blown away by this title. I knew very little about the game going into the experience. When I first encountered a person, and realized it wasn't an NPC it really made me feel connected and no longer so lonesome in the isolated desert.

It's art style and graphics are beautiful. I hesitated to buy this game when I saw it was $15, I hope no one else discriminates based on price. I'm very glad I decided to give it a chance, I love games that transcend genres and conventions.

Not sure what happened exactly, but I just bought this off iTunes a few minutes ago:
d918e8af.jpg

Wow, I am utterly floored by this game. I went full media blackout a while ago, other than something to do with sand and a "powerful experience" I literally knew nothing about this game going in to it.

Even hearing all the hype, my first play through tonight is in the elite upper echelons of all time gaming moments. This game packed more emotion, goosebumps and jaw dropping moments than I have had since first laying eyes on Mario 64 back when I was a teenager.

Incredible game. The epitome of quality over quantity. Undeniably more rewarding than 90+ hour games I have played. Can't wait to go through again and maybe get a chance to play with a white robe to get some trophies!

Why does it have a (1) at the end of each track?

I have no idea and it's bugging me enough that I may actually open up iTunes on my PowerBook just to get rid of it...

Soundtrack's sublime regardless...

Also, saw TGC's tweet posted at like 10:45pm my local time last niggt saying the link was live, but I had already bought it an hour before it was supposed to be live. :p

1stStrike

Banned
This is one of the few games where I'd say it's worth buying the OST. The music is really fantastic, and I'm especially fond of the end theme.

Will the OST be available on PSN? The final track in the game is such a beautiful piece of music, I have some credit on my PSN account and want to buy it.

Top Bottom