• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Looks like it's time to school some kiddies. Lay down the law, so to speak.

Journey is the single deepest, most challenging, most skill-based game ever created. There is not a single other game in any genre that comes close to the level of skill Journey requires.

This is why Journey threads are the best, most intelligent discussions on the internet. Only the smartest, brightest, and most patient people post in them. Essentially, the very best of humanity posts in them.

Conversely, the only people who don't like Journey clearly don't have the skills to handle its depth. It is too hardcore for them. That's okay though. Games like Halo exist for people like them. Journey fans are too good to hold grudges.

casabolg
(Today, 07:42 AM)

You have alot to learn about GAF.

casabolg

Banned
Where did the hate come from? Why the sarcasm?

What I posted is a common bit of copypasta. Started in Monster Hunter and branched to all manner of games. It's popular in Dark Souls now and the people there had a good laugh when I posted it yesterday and one guy wanted me to make a Journey version of the same post.

It seems you all seem to be very new to the comment. It's just there for humor. You're taking things too seriously.

Lets ignore this and move on before you guys make this bigger than it really is, 'kay?

casalblog
Oh what in the world how did you do that.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
casalblog, pretend your account was hacked before its too late

Seriously...if there's one game here on GAF that i haven't seen ANY hate towards, its this game. It's like you didnt even read the thread and jumped to the last page and posted your comment about imaginary hate towards Journey.

I'm curious as to why you think it's the deepest and most challenging game. I've only beaten it once, but I didn't find it difficult at all. Does the difficulty ramp up on replays?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I finished watching a Youtube playthrough of this. The sunset level was far and away the highlight, quite mesmerizing. Not sure if I'm interested in buying it and playing for myself though since it's so linear. But it was an enjoyable viewing.

I finished watching a Youtube playthrough of this. The sunset level was far and away the highlight, quite mesmerizing. Not sure if I'm interested in buying it and playing for myself though since it's so linear. But it was an enjoyable viewing.

you sir,have ruied ur journey.
This game is ment to played and watched on youtube.
i can say for sure that youtube videos don't even make 30% of the experience.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Just beat it...... I am in awe... Met with 8 other companions.

Fuck...

Amazing experience.

Still thinking about it and will definitely play again tomorrow. Short but touched something inside me. Mesmerizing.

Just played it for the first time. Don't really know what to say other than, it was an amazing experience. Just sat there and played it and just enjoyed every minute of it. Everything about it is just beautiful. I actually had a moment where I met up with someone only to have him/her leave me alone. It kinda sucked lol. But at the end, I saw that I had like 8 other people take that Journey(ha!) with me. I absolutely loved the ending. Think i'm gonna go buy the soundtrack.

This really is a masterpiece of a video game. Towards the end I was constantly reminded of classic, timeless movies. The cinematic direction, visuals, soundtrack, and simple gameplay are astonishing. It really redefined for me what great games are in my opinion. To elaborate, I've only experienced those emotions during incredible movies that are so artistic you can't help but feel emotional while watching. I didnt realize a game could do that.

The ending
where you struggle to reach the top of the mountain was astonishing..the music, the struggle...just wow!

Time to replay it.

This really is a masterpiece of a video game. Towards the end I was constantly reminded of classic, timeless movies. The cinematic direction, visuals, soundtrack, and simple gameplay are astonishing. It really redefined for me what great games are in my opinion. To elaborate, I've only experienced those emotions during incredible movies that are so artistic you can't help but feel emotional while watching. I didnt realize a game could do that.

The ending
where you struggle to reach the top of the mountain was astonishing..the music, the struggle...just wow!

Time to replay it.

Glad you enjoyed it. ;)

The range of emotions, the varying intensity, the amount they were able to pack into the game is just incredible.

Get the music! It's sublime.

StuBurns

Banned
392534_10150667679526831_12427296830_9457705_885066436_n.jpg

Sup

Lime

Damn that's nice, Unluckykate. You should post a proper picture of it with a quality camera once it's finished.

Thrakier

I decided to buy it this evening to get a break from my TW2 playthrough. Though I'm kinda afraid of that I meet a very experienced player who spoils the game for me. Is there a way to avoid this?

Danielsan

I decided to buy it this evening to get a break from my TW2 playthrough. Though I'm kinda afraid of that I meet a very experienced player who spoils the game for me. Is there a way to avoid this?
If you meet a player with a white robe or a red robe with a lot of patterns, simply go and do your own thing. Eventually they'll probably go somewhere else and you'll meet someone new. You don't have to follow them.

Tomodachi

I would probably stick to them except they are advancing too fast for you to enjoy the areas. If you do your stuff and ignore them you might as well play offline, I don't recommend being too distant. Don't forget you can always play those areas again later on, especially if you want trophies. I enjoyed the second run so much more than the first one.

Thrakier

Finished it and for some reason it didnt resonaze with me at all though I loved Flower back then. The gameplay in this one was just to tedious and slow. It was like push forward and press circle and that was it.

Art and music is beaitful, techjically it could have been better though.

Finished it and for some reason it didnt resonaze with me at all though I loved Flower back then. The gameplay in this one was just to tedious and slow. It was like push forward and press circle and that was it.

Art and music is beaitful, techjically it could have been better though.

Wait until you're sober and try again.;)

Finally played JOURNEY. Wow, what an amazing experience, and rewards replayability. Made my friend play it, and he was impressed as well. DAT LIGHTNING AND ICE.

It really is a one-sitting experience because of the companions. It's pretty tough to have only 1 companion throughout, but if you ever play with me, all the way baby :)

The cyclical journey makes for an interesting couch game. I finished it, then my roommate wanted to play it, he got a shortcut and missed the underwater levels and finished it sooner.

Still loads more to discover, like the desert flower.

I need to make all my friends and family play this. This is the beauty of minimalistic "art" games (Dear Esther, But That Was Yesterday) is that anyone can play them and get something out of it.

Now that thatgamecompany have finished their Sony contract, do they own the IP and can bring it out on other platforms? One of those games everyone needs to experience.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished it.

I think the game was a bit too artsy for me to enjoy. I played 'Flower' and thought it was cool. It's my own fault for expecting this to be dramatically different.

I dunno I couldn't master the jumping and flying all that well. The environments were really cool and all. I feel like this game is super cool Flower 2.0 - that's not really what I wanted, but I wanted to experience this game and all its hype to see what was up.

I wish I didn't pay $15 though. 'ThatArtCompany' has some really talented people, for sure.

BHK3

Banned
I played it myself and went "thats it" at the end like everyone else that doesn't seem to 'get it'.

$15 for an hour and half, buyers remorse hit me hard. Flower was much, much better as that had a much more interesting concept and clear point unlike this game.

Bunch of symbols and murals everywhere that don't mean anything, cutscenes that were practically filler, Hype killed this game pretty bad. Sure I felt bad in the end but I was really waiting for that moment that was gonna make me cry but I didn't find it anywhere.

The online was also bad since the game changes players every area. I doubt it's the other person willingly leaving, why would he just leave all of a sudden after only one area? I mean we're practically 30% done right there because of how short it was. I didn't feel attached to the other person since it's just another body not doing anything. First time through the game said I was with 8 people and I never saw anyone, beat it again and again 8 people I never saw, only until now when I'm cleaning up do I find someone in the distance. You walk in a line most of the time jumping here or there, I was told there would be puzzles but I found none.

I played it myself and went "thats it" at the end like everyone else that doesn't seem to 'get it'.

$15 for an hour and half, buyers remorse hit me hard. Flower was much, much better as that had a much more interesting concept and clear point unlike this game.

Bunch of symbols and murals everywhere that don't mean anything, cutscenes that were practically filler, Hype killed this game pretty bad. Sure I felt bad in the end but I was really waiting for that moment that was gonna make me cry but I didn't find it anywhere.

The online was also bad since the game changes players every area. I doubt it's the other person willingly leaving, why would he just leave all of a sudden after only one area? I mean we're practically 30% done right there because of how short it was. I didn't feel attached to the other person since it's just another body not doing anything. First time through the game said I was with 8 people and I never saw anyone, beat it again and again 8 people I never saw, only until now when I'm cleaning up do I find someone in the distance. You walk in a line most of the time jumping here or there, I was told there would be puzzles but I found none.

-No the cutscenes are not filler...it's actually a great way to understand what happenned

- No the game doesn't change players each area, there is even a trophies for sticky with the same guy during a journey

- About puzzles you were lied to ... I doubt Anyone here said that there were puzzles in this game

PS: the clear point is pointed IN YOUR FACE in the first and 3rd levels ( the mountain )
I mean there is a lot of things you can get by simply paying attention

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just finished it and thought it was really lovely. What beautiful graphics and music. A surprising treat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The more I think about my Journey, the more I like it, actually. Just listening to the music again and thinking about the imagery and gameplay is very overwhelming. I didn't really consider how my partner and I were working together as we got to "that" moment, but in reflection, it was really incredibly special. The
memory of us rubbing together to keep warm in the blinding snowstorm...the chirping to keep us alive...him dying first
is something I will not forget.

This title is very special.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Really nice experience ... :)
Amazing & simple graphics :)
The music :O

Go play it ... This is the kind of experience video games are all about

Finally got to play this game today and just finished it in one sitting.

This was easily one of the best 2 hour stints of gaming in my entire career.

I started getting allies in chapter 2, and it was always so obvious to me when my partner changed out. Of course the scarf is usually a dead giveaway, but within moments of watching them run, tiny little mannerisms clued me into their play-style.

My first partner and I parted ways immediately, I was interested in getting scarf pieces and he simply wanted to progress.

My 2nd partner I stuck with through 60% of the game. He was probably my favorite, we had similar mindsets when exploring. If one of us chirped, it meant we found something. If one of us paused to admire the scenery, the other would follow suit. We even synchronized our running for the most part. It was him who made me realize how amazing this game was. He could've been a kid who cussed me and my momma out on COD last week, but I would never know. More importantly, I wouldn't care.

The 3rd guy I was instantly against. The second I saw the longer scarf and realized my last partner and I got separated after beating the previous level I kind of wanted to just go it alone. Reluctantly I kept with this guy, and he turned out to be pretty cool. He let me solve most of the stuff and wasn't pushy about it.

The 4th guy joined me at the beginning of the
snowstorm
. At first I didn't like him either, because he kept staying so close to me and it didn't seem natural, but eventually I came to realize what he was doing. He was also better at chirping than m previous partners. He used it in 3-4 different cases and it was as clear as day what he was indicating. He left for some reason
as we were in a shelter, dodging the final dragon

The 5th partner was waiting for me near the end. I didn't really spend much time with him, but it interesting to find someone waiting for me. We got separated easily, though.

At the end it said I had 6 partners, so somewhere along the way I missed one.

But wow, That Game Company never ceases to amaze me. Well played, well played.

Top Bottom